Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    retarded color????

why do people insist on using that word ???

In addition—and in agreement—to Brenda's comment, there is no such thing as a good color, a bad color, or a "retarded" color.

When someone doesn't like a color, it's not the color, but that color in relation to its (color) surroundings. You never see a color in isolation. It is always juxtaposed to other color(s). So that is really what you are commenting on. I can show you any color that will look good or bad depending on how much of that color is used, and what it is placed next to. The only other consideration that affects the positive or negative is the appropriateness of the color for any given situation. For example, bright cheery colors may not be the best choice at a funeral; then again, it may be...

Bob <on Color 101>
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    Joe says Full Size spare ?
  • Options
    brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Highlander Limited with every option except for DVD entertainment and Navigation can be had under $32k. That is Outback price territory. There is no way Tribeca can match that comparably equipped. Besides, I will take a car made in Toyota Kyushu plant (where Lexus RX's are built) over something that comes off the old Isuzu Indiana assembly line any time.

Regarding Highlander driving like a minivan, that's patentedly untrue. It's a cushy ride, yes (althought not as quiet or smooth as a Lexus sedan; then Outbacks are much louder too), but it is remarkably light on its wheels for a mid-sized SUV, much less ponderous than even Pilot for example.

One potentially interesting design aspect of Tribeca: is the rear door a two-piece thingy with the bottom flipping down? That's actually a worthwhile feature for mid-size SUV's with relatively short body length.
  • Options
    He's wrong. It's a temp spare. Some of his other specs are wrong too.

Bob
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The US RX is built in Canada, not Japan.

~alpha
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    The Highlander has tolerable handling BUT it also has a nearly constant small rocking motion. I find that unpleasant.
  • Options
    on your point #1, you will be surprised to see what Highlander offers as STD features on base model vs. what tribeca would. VDC to start with. So, Tribeca is worth the base price higher than highlander.

None of the following are standard which are in Tribeca, obviously Highlander will start from 32k. All of these are options:

No Heated Seats, mirrors

No Fog Lamps

No VDC

NoTinted Windows

No Power seat even for driver

No Audio control on steering wheel

No illumination on visors

No Front & 2nd row Side curtain airbags

No Day time Running Lights
  • Options
    Secondly, i test drove an OB XT & have a OB H4 which ride almost like a sedan.

tell me one SUV which can do this ?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sam: that's not really fair, your F-XT is not an upscale car. That started with the 2005 Legacy, and continues with the Tribeca.

You're comparing it to Lexus cars you've owned?

You also got a v1.0, and the problems with the ACC that come with it (HAL). But really it's the last of the old school Subies.

As for your list of complaints, does the RAV4 address all of those issues?

I don't think the RAV4 is executed any better, in fact it doesn't have a rear bumper at all plus the rear gate opens to block curb side access! It's louder, not quieter than the Forester. The spare blocks your view to the rear. And the rear seats fit only 2 comfortably since they are 50/50 split.

Do you really think Toyota's execution is perfect? Not in the RAV4's price range.

Sure, Highlanders can be had at a discount, of course older designs have to discount more. In fact there are rebates now. But consumers want fresh and innovative designs, and many are willing to pay more for that.

Swampy: LOL!

-juice
  • Options
    WMartonWMarton Member Posts: 58
    Is the Tribeca going to be accessible at the Baltimore car show? If I can't get access to the vehicle, then it really isn't worth my time and money.

Bill
  • Options
    call soa
  • Options
    For NAIAS, they told us to suggest you mention Edmunds.com and take a Subaru key with you, to prove you're a serious shopper.

I'm not sure if they'll do the same for Baltimore.

One other suggestion was that you go early or late, so the booth is not busy. That way they're not opening the flood gates and a bunch of people pile in.

But that was for NAIAS, so no guarantees. I bet it improves your chances, though.

-juice
  • Options
    Or should be if Dave Sullivan, the Tribeca brand manager, was correct.

Bob
  • Options
    that strategy didn't work for me at RI show.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Regarding Highlander driving like a minivan, that's patentedly untrue.

I doubt you can convince anybody of that -- all you need to do is drive the Highlander back to back with a Camry and a Sienna. It will be pretty obvious that the Highlander drives similar to its cousin the Sienna and both drive differently than the Camry parent platform. Both the Sienna and the Highlander are nice vehicles, but they do not remotely handle like a car.

Craig
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    I know NY is going to be a major show, so I hope I can get into the B9 being that we are SERIOUSLY considering it.

Just me sitting will either order or go elsewhere... I hope I can order one!

Is Dave Sullivan going to be in NY?
  • Options
    Is Dave Sullivan going to be in NY?

I have no idea. I would think so, at least for one day, as it is a major show.

Bob
  • Options
    you can see b9 at dealers in a month from then !!!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear those tips didn't help. They should have let you in for the mere fact that you've been a cheerleader for the Tribeca!

I gotta agree with Craig about the way the Highlander drives, it's isolated and smooth, but it feels very heavy. Perhaps not compared to a Pilot, but certainly nothing like a Camry.

We actually test drove a Camry and a Highlander back-to-back. Wife gave an outright no to the Highlander, Camry was close but the 5 speed was notchy and none of the SE models with the manual tranny had ABS.

-juice
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    FWIW, the Camry has ABS standard now, and so its on all manuals as well as autos.

Sweet- 24K Highlander has VSC standard. Sure its not VTD, but given that we're talking about soft-roaders, what are the pronounced advantages of VTD vs. VSC+TRAC+AWD?

-Joe
  • Options
    Yeah, I know, we shopped back in 2002. The Legacy had it standard back then, in fact every Subaru did.

The current VSC is the 2nd generation of Toyota's stability control. The first one didn't get good reviews and feedback.

I haven't tried the new one.

VDC sends most of the power to the rear axle, so it's more like the German AWD systems. And it's engineered for full-time use, not just on slippery surfaces.

Way back when I think the Highlander had a simple viscous coupling, like the base Forester with the manual tranny. Should work for most conditions.

-juice
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    "yes but a lot of japanese live in that area of canada where it is built "

Huhhh!

Huhhhhh! Where are they? There are more palm trees here than Japanese people!
  • Options
    I think that was a (rather hilarious) joke. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    ( see lexus rx is built in japan, no wait its made in canada messages, a few messages up )
  • Options
    My sub-$32k Highlander Limited has all that you listed:

Heated Seats, mirrors

Fog Lamps

VDC/VSC

Tinted Windows

Power Seats for driver, plus for passenger too

Audio Control on steering wheel

Illumination on visors

Front and 2nd row side curtain airbags

Day time running lights

So what exactly does the near-$40k Tribeca offer that Highlander Limited does not? The base 4-cylinder Highlander at around $20k is in an entirely different market; Highlander Limited is what Tribeca has to compete against.
  • Options
    Both the Sienna and the Highlander are nice vehicles, but they do not remotely handle like a car.

What other SUV/cross-over is closer to its car platform origin e than Highlander/RX? The "not remotly . . . like" in your asessment is a highly subjective term. The original RX was the genesis of car-like riding SUVs.
  • Options
    My bad. I was thinking of RX300, which has legendary reliability record. RX330 actually had some minor new assembly line glitches for the ones made in Canada.
  • Options
    "Secondly, i test drove an OB XT & have a OB H4 which ride almost like a sedan.

tell me one SUV which can do this ? "

Secondly, I test drove an Avalon, which rides exactly like a sedan.

tell me one SUV which can do this?

hmm. . . hint: Tribeca is an SUV. Do you actually expect it to ride and handle like OBs? Besides, I don't even want my vehicle to ride like OBs. Too rough riding and too much mechanical noise.
  • Options
    too much mechanical noise

thus the really loud stereo option
  • Options
    Highlanders stopped using viscous coupling when the engine was updated to 3.3 liter. They now have all-time AWD open-differential system, combined with electronicly controlled brakes to shift torque from one wheel to another, just like Hummers and LandCruiser. Subaru uses viscous coupling in all manual models without VTD.
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Hey all,

I just got an e-mail from SOA asking me to take part in a survey to gauge the public's interest in the Tribeca and get a feel for interests in options and pricing so that they can allocate appropriately.

The survey dropped a few interesting hints about pricing and options....

For example:

"With potential pricing for the 5-passenger B9 Tribeca beginning between $30,000 and $32,000 and between $33,000 and $35,000 for the 7-passenger B9 Tribeca, which model best fits your lifestyle?"

In the section gauging my interest in options, they actually listed tentative MSRPs. Note that the 6 disc CD/MP3 player comes with the leather package. The selections were independent of each other, implying that 7 passenger will definitely be available in cloth, even with the DVD or Nav.

"Leather seating with 6 disc CD & MP3 capability $1600

GPS $2000

Rear DVD w/2 wireless headsets $1800"

The final section gauged my interest in leases, and listed numerous combinations of proposed lease lengths, down payments, monthly payments, and options packages. All of the terms looked highly competitive given the level of content. For example, the one I chose that I'd go for was:

"7 passenger, leather, Nav., $0 down, 36 month, 12K/year for $400/month". Another choice for this option level was to put down $1000 for $375/month.

If they really offer those terms for a $37k-ish SUV, I think Subaru really will have a hit, IMHO.

Elliot
  • Options
    > too much mechanical noise

>

> thus the really loud stereo option

If that's my cup of tea, I could buy a used Pontiac and hop it up with loud stereos.
  • Options
    "7 passenger, leather, Nav., $0 down, 36 month, 12K/year for $400/month". Another choice for this option level was to put down $1000 for $375/month.

If they are actually offering this, it would be a great deal indeed. Wonder how much of a hole GM financing arm will be in a few years ;-)
  • Options
    sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    "The US RX is built in Canada, not Japan."

The RX/Highlander were built in the Lexus plant in Japan at first. 2 or 3 years ago they moved production to the Cambridge Ontario plant, which is arugably the best car assembly plant in North America; it has won more quality awards then any other.

Sly
  • Options
    yes, i answered mine too. Every option that Tribeca offers my wife wants except leather. If they offer NAV & DVD without leather, we would jump in joy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if only i win the 3000$ sweepstake !
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    The 5 seater has the same 2nd row as the 7 seater - reclining / sliding and 40/20/40 backrest.

Moonroof and heated/power seats are standard on all models.

Leather (w/ 6-CD) + NAV + DVD = $5300!

DaveM
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    We got that survey too. dw liked the pricing on the reardvd and leather and 7 seater. Guess she's thinking if anything, it would replace our MPV. Man, I gotta keep her away from seeing it, she might want one!

If you completed the survey within 48 hours of receipt, you got 2 entries in to the $3k.

-Brian
  • Options
    Yeah, I got the same survey and found it real interesting. Several tidbits confirmed what I heard at the auto show. I like the $30-32K range suggested for the 5 passenger model.

Craig
  • Options
    Let me guess, do you own a HL or an RX? Don't take it personally, but they do not handle very well in my opinion, nor does the Acura MDX or Pilot. Yes, they are among the best SUVs out there in terms of handling, but that does not say much. I'm just being honest here. Drive an 05 Outback XT (with 8.7" ground clearance) back to back with one of these other vehicles, and it will be clear that they are still FWD-based SUVs with high CG and a lot of weight. I just could not accept that kind of driving experience every day of my life.

Craig
  • Options
    hmm. . . hint: Tribeca is an SUV. Do you actually expect it to ride and handle like OBs? Besides, I don't even want my vehicle to ride like OBs. Too rough riding and too much mechanical noise.

First of all, test drive an 05 Outback, it will change your perception for sure.

Secondly, the Tribeca will possess several key elements that make it handle unlike traditional SUVs: boxer engine, symmetrical AWD drivetrain, lightweight aluminum hood/roof/liftgate, and very generous track/wheelbase dimensions for its weight. These contribute to a low CG and lots of stability.

I know many buyers don't understand this, and a lot of people flock into FWD-based "SUVs" that are nothing more than re-shaped minivans with some ground clearance. But if handling is important to you, Subaru has the key ingredients. These are the same reasons they can take an Outback XT with tons of ground clearance and give it excellent handling and near-flat cornering. You just cannot do that in a FWD-based minivan platform.

Craig
  • Options
    same here, my wife can't wait to replace our 2002 MPV (with tribeca) in which she hates the stiff ride.
  • Options
    18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    Hi all! Ateixeira saw my message in the auto show thread and invited me to stop by (thanks, Ateixeira!).

We attended the Auto Show recently and were really impressed by the B9 Tribeca. It was displayed in a roped-off area, so we didn't get to sit in it or even get a close-up look at the interior.... but we were quite impressed by what we could see! The front grill area reminds me of an old Alfa Romeo. The rear end, to me, looked like an FX45 with tail fins. I thought the exterior was very attractive.... cutting edge style, yet very classy looking! The Subaru rep. said it would be in showrooms around May, and although there was no Monroney sticker on the display, he said it would likely be priced between $32K and $40K. I signed up to win one (the drawing is to be held sometime in the spring).... so hopefully, mine will cost zero!!

Quite frankly, one thing that really impressed me is that the Tribeca has a "frame" around the side windows. I have always viewed Subaru's traditional lack of a window frame as a drawback and, so far, it has kept me away from buying a Subaru.... even though I am impressed with the rest of the car. It just seems too easy to pry the window outward, slide something inside, and break into the car. I addressed these concerns with the rep. who replied by saying that the advantage of not having a window frame is that when a kid slams the door on his hand, it is not nearly as painful as another car with a frame around the window. That may very well be true..... but sorry, that doesn't outweigh the negatives of the frameless window to me.

I am really looking forward to the Tribeca arriving in showrooms so I can stop in for a closer look... and a drive!
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    My dw actually still likes her '02 MPV though and only mentioned the idea of the B9 since I was on the page with pricing/packages. (The OEM Dunlops are stiff, try a different brand of tires)

-Brian
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I received the survey as well and noticed a couple of things. Price on the 5 pass =$30k - 32k. 7 pass = $33k - 35k. Not bad - for the price i would be curious to compare the 5 pass Tribeca with the OB XT.

One down note I noticed: it said the DVD screen is 9", not the 10" screen juice had mentioned.

I'll be curious to take a closer look once it is here.

Mark
  • Options
    I do own an '04 Highlander, after cross-shopping many vehicles includeing the OB VDC. Of course there is handling difference between Highlander and OB. Highlander weighs 350lbs more than OB. there is handling difference between OB and WRX too, the latter of which is another 350lbs lighter, smaller and shorter.

It is pointless to use OB as a proxy for Tribeca however, since the latter's weight and size are in the same ranges as Highlander, not OB. If we want to derive comparisons from their respective car platform origins, we should use Camry/ES330 vs. Legacy. The former has much better ride quality.
  • Options
    I too got this AM. I selected the 5-passenger moel.

Bob
  • Options
    I know many buyers don't understand this, and a lot of people flock into FWD-based "SUVs" that are nothing more than re-shaped minivans with some ground clearance.

Typical meaningless platitude. SUV's like Highlander have much lighter weight and shorter wheelbase than minivans. Heavy weight and long wheelbase (even more importantly, sliding second row doors) are what define minivans. Crossover SUV's have none of that. On the other hand, if you add weight and wheelbase to AWD platforms, even those much more advanced than Subarus (e.g. Hummer, Landcruiser and M-Class) they will all handle like minivans.

But if handling is important to you, Subaru has the key ingredients. These are the same reasons they can take an Outback XT with tons of ground clearance and give it excellent handling and near-flat cornering. You just cannot do that in a FWD-based minivan platform.

In case you did not know, the overwhelming majority of Outbacks with automatic transmission send 90% of its engine torque to the front. That's a much much higher per centage than AWD Highlanders that use open differential plus TRAC.

There is nothing Minivan about Highlander (you might be thinking of Pilot, which is actually based on a minivan). It's a raised wagon, just like Outback, only bigger. What do you think Tribeca is? a raised wagon, just like Outback, only bigger. Don't be surprised if Subaru decide to tackle the minivan market by stretching Tribecca and add on another 300-400 lbs in the process. That will not however make Tribeca a "reshaped minivan." Highlanders are classified as wagons outside the North American. In fact, the next iteration will be marketted as sportwagon too even here.
  • Options
    you think changing the tire would soften the ride ? Our biggest complaint is the ride, 2 seat 2nd row & engine noise.