Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    Yes you change the dest while driving however you are limited to the choices. You can pick from the 5 or so last destinations... Again it is a safety thing. At a stop it will allow you full access again. Juice covered the scroll thing I think.. In short, yes, but not as convenient as some.
  • Options
    By default it will give you 3 routes to pick from... with a differnt color marking each route. Short, quick, alt I think. You can also preview the route. It will actually drive you through the whole route. You can even double speed it through. The more I use it the more I find. It is quite robust. Like most techno gadgets you just have to play with it some. Do so and enjoy! I am. :shades:
  • Options
    b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    Can the NAV DVD system from the 7 passenger be installed into a 5 passenger?
    Is the 5 passenger display a touch screen? Or would the screen need to be replaced as well? >>>

I can't imagine why not, but there are better DVD options aftermarket. The NAV install can probably be done, but we'll be waiting a while to see it I'd guess. I also have the 5 Pass model. DVD system (aftermarket) will be installed this week. I'll post the results and links to pictures.

Robert B
    NY
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yeah, after I posted, I sorta figured it out (somewhat). I posted a destination and it took me there exactly as I would have normally driven it. I do like the fact that if you decide to take a slightly different route, that it will recalculate the route. That's very helpful! I think with a few more days of playing with it, I'd have it pretty well figured out.

I will agree with juice, in that I now have a newfound respect for these NAV systems. For somebody in sales, in which they have to travel a lot to new places, this feature is a Godsend!

Bob
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Just to keep the navigation lingo straight so we don't confuse issues, the B9 navigation has Voice Guidence - not Voice Activation. Activation allows the driver to speak instructions to the system.

The B9 speaks to the driver - it much like being married, your wife speaks instructions and direction to you but you can not speak backimage
  • Options
    Thanks Karen.

It took me 2 weeks of trying to make your chime killer work.

I hope I am a better student with this lesson:)

Thanks again

John - Chicago
  • Options
    In the situation you described I found that it gives a list of same streets and you pick the one you want.

Does the enter destination screen recognize the boroughs as a city?
  • Options
    I have a suggestion to make the instructions even more clear. Tell us is it 20 times in 30 seconds from when you turn the car on or when you start doing the 20? Also on the last one.. the 20th if you will do you leave the buckle buckled or after 20 do you the unbuckle it and leave it unbuckled?

I got it but I wonder it that would help some folks?

Thanks again for the tip!
  • Options
    You're right. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Bob
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    What really matters is when you sit behind the wheel.

well we all have our limits. i could not care how well the AZTEK drove.

hey lots of people say they hated the nose pics but no big deal in person. i am just saying the trifecta in pictures looks pretty bad, kinda like drive license pics i guess.
  • Options
    Hi Foxbat

What are you driving now?
  • Options
    kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Phone number entry is simpler and quicker, and seems to be pretty accurate.

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    Got a call from the parts department of my local dealer today. He said the mud flaps for the Tribeca came in today as scheduled. I have an appointment Friday to have them installed. FYI.
  • Options
    That's good to know! Thx! -Karen-
  • Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    What are you driving now?

WRX and Tribeca :)
  • Options
    There is a certain learning curve here, but not bad after a little practice. There are sometimes steps that seem redundant, unnecessary, or just don't make much sense, but I'm getting the hang of it. I admit I finally got out the manual because I couldn't tell what some of the icons were supposed to be. I also had to read it to figure out how to cancel the voice directions. Hopefully the sales folks will have time to play with it in order to give potential buyer a brief lesson.

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    Also can the dest be changed while driving?

Yes, you can switch to a destination you have already saved while moving (although I don't recommend it :-) ), but you cannot program a new one while you are driving. As long as the wheels are stopped (not moving, i.e. stopped at a light, or in park), you can program new info, I believe.

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    Think of it as just plain "art". Consensus seems to be that pictures are not complimentary, but in person it is a whole new perspective. I still cringe at some of the photos (even some of Subaru's own pixes), but I liked it instantly the moment I saw it up close and for real.

Then again, I come from a family lineage of long and ugly noses :-)

-Karen-
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't mind Lance Armstrong telling me where to go :-)

-Karen-
  • Options
    As far as NAV goes, I encountered an interesting issue: I can't enter the street name where my home is located. I guess once I setup my home address, the GPS system figures I'd be really dumb to enter an address in my neighborhood :D
  • Options
    Have you chosen the correct area? For instance as I traveled to MA from PA I had to choose area 9 I believe versus area or region 9. If I remember you touch the map of the country and then it gives you a choice of about 9 regions.
  • Options
    20 times in 30 seconds, starting from when you actually turn on the key.

-km-
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    No date on this article, so not sure when it was published. No press release from Subaru on this yet, but there are quotes from their Australian chief.

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/alias__carpointau/tabID__6491/ArticleID__7414/Deskto- pDefault.aspx
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. Looks like someone setup my area to Canada!
  • Options
    As to inputting a "destination," I can handle that okay; not so for all the other options such as locating stores, etc. Unfortunately I have to return the car tonight, so I'm not sure how much more I can learn between now and then.

As to turning off the voice guidance, that I figured out. As you know you can switch between male, female, French, as well as adjust the volume of the voice. Very nice. :)

BTW, I showed the car to a business associate of mine, who has an '05 MDX. She really liked the Tribeca, and thought it was very MDX-like.

Bob
  • Options
    jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Now for the DRL ... my '03 Saab was easy ... just remove a fuse, the manual even told you how to do it. Not so with my '02 Forrester, expect to say good bye with them still burning after 3 1/2 years, hope the Tribeca will be easier to disconect. (expect delivey by the end of the month). I have nothing against DRLs , I just want to control them myself, then I will no longer have to worry about the wife driving in the dark with only DRL on :).

Jerry
  • Options
    Not me. Local laws require headlights on whenever you use windshield wipers. DRL is the perfect solution for my wife as she never remembers to turn headlights on in rain. DRL isn't bright enough for the dark. I'd not worry about that.

DRL is a safety measure that increases the possibility for other drivers to see your vehicle. I don't know why anyone want to disable it.
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    This NAV sounds pretty nice. I'll have to play with it a little to compare it to my Garmin that I use now. One advantage the B9 has, from the sound of it is look up via phone number.

I know on the Garmin it does recognize the boroughs as a city.

Mark
  • Options
    jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    I can safely say that I'm sick of hearing "Dust in the Wind" already. Just hope there's more than one commercial.
  • Options
    and missing all of those trifecta ads
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Now that I'm in love with Becky, the NAV narrarator, how 'bout adding some features to her repertoire?

For instance:

* Greeting when you get in the car, e.g. "Good Morning"
    * An occasionaly compliment. "You look nice today"
    * Maybe some traffic commentary. "Can you believe that dude cut us off?"

:)

-juice
  • Options
    Juice

I think your consuming too much caffine:)
  • Options
    I would mind if she told me that...

She could say "How 'bout de-caf next time, juice?".

Oh and I'd love it if she could learn to say my name. LOL

-juice
  • Options
    LOL!

Right now I've got the voice set to French. I'm going to take Deb out shortly. That ought to freak her out. ;)

Bob
  • Options
    But is it Becky speaking in French?

If not, I'm not interested. ;)

She might say something like, "Le Amoco Ultimate, por moi? Merci, le juice!"

Then I wouldn't feel bad about paying $36 for a tank of gas. Note I paid $34 to fill up the Forester so it is just whining, ignore me.

-juice
  • Options
    Yes, it's Becky, but I could switch it to Jeeves.

Bob
  • Options
    I'm sold. It's a latin language, how hard could it be for me to learn, given I know Spanish and Portuguese?

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    I noticed that some of the NAV features can't be accessed while the vehicle is in motion. For example you can't change the "Nav Set Up" (voice volume, speaker voice, etc.) features. I'm sure this is to keep drivers from fiddling with this stuff while driving.

Also, the French voice is only available with the woman's voice. So Jeeves therefore remains true to his British heritage. :)

Bob
  • Options
    Maybe walk in blindfolded until you get inside. Then take of the blind folds and allow yourself to fall in love with that interior and of course Becky.

I bet then you could exit the Tribeca and wouldn't mind the styling so much.

-juice
  • Options
    I noticed in the maintance reminder section of this NAV-computer thingie, that there is an icon for a timing belt reminder. Huh? Don't theseengineers know the Tribeca has a timing chain?

Must have been designed with the Outback XT in mind. ;)

Bob
  • Options
    Becky is going to remind you that you don't need to pay for a timing belt change? LOL

OK, I promise to stop. Or slow down, at least. ;)

-juice
  • Options
    It's a latin language, how hard could it be for me to learn, given I know Spanish and Portuguese?

Speaking of which, I'm very surprised there is no Spanish option, particularly when Subaru is trying to grow in the Sunbelt. Latinos are by far the fastest growing segment of the American population (and rapidly moving upscale as well). If I were Latino, I'd find that omission infuriating. I would bet there are more Spanish-speaking than French Canadian potential buyers. Plus they'll need Spanish anyway if they offer NAV when this goes on sale in Chile. Hopefully it will be a simple upgrade available to U.S. buyers soon.
  • Options
    They must have a strong lobby, because they kept the Outback Sedan alive for them also. That was just 7% of Outback sales in the US.

-juice
  • Options
    I second what foxbat121 just said. Why on earth would anyone want to disable DRL (Daytime Running Lights)?
  • Options
    I agree about having only 2 language options, but as juice mentioned, I'm sure it has to do with Canada, specifically Quebec and other areas in Canada where French is the primary language, as the Tribeca is also sold there.

Bob
  • Options
    Maybe to appeal to a younger crowd it could use some slang, as in, "Yo, dude, hang a left at the next light!".

I think I'm suffering from withdrawal. :P

-juice
  • Options
    hkleinhklein Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 7-passenger B9 Tribeca Ltd and have the same question--namely, how do you "hack" into the stereo with an ipod connection? (I now regret that I didn't buy the optional entertainment system with RCA jacks behind the 2nd seat). Any further info on whether Panasonic left an imput in the stereo for another accessory? Another possibility--- I have an "installer" who claims that certain systems can be plugged into the radio antenna jack--the antenna then fits "over" the imput. Any thoughts on this?

hklein in Maryland
  • Options
    French is a Canadian requirement of law I bellieve since Canada is leagally a bi-lingual country.

The U.S. contrary to popular opinion is an English speaking country. Where do you draw the line. A large percentage of of Hawaii speaks Japanese. Seattle has many Korean speaking residents, Chicago Polish.

What about those groups?
  • Options
    I'm not trying to get into a debate about whether or not Spanish should be used more in the U.S., or start the make-English-the-official-language debate. All I'm saying is Subaru could sell more cars with the addition of Spanish NAV and that there are enough Spanish-speakers to possibly make it cost-effective. The other, smaller language groups would probably not be cost-effective to produce/market for. Subaru may be doing Spanish anyway when they sell Tribeca in Chile.