Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    According to Edmunds.com it is $195 MSRP, $127 invoice. It has to be factory installed. That is you can not order after car is delivered to dealership. That been said, I haven't seen a single one without puddle light in all the dealerships around me.
  • Options
    robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    phan7, $795, 6yrs/60,000mi, $0 deductible. As I said, we more or less broke even.
  • Options
    Remember all Subarus come with bump-to-bump coverage for 3-year/36,000-mile and drive train is covered for 5-year/60,000-mile. Your extended warranty only kicks in after original warranty expires. So a 6-year/60,000-mile extended warranty effectively only covers non-drive train related repairs for 3 years. $795 is a lot of repair for non drive train related items. If it covers rotors and brake pads, it might worth it.

The only repairs I remembered for my '97 OBS and '98 OB are engine oil leaks (both at 50,000-mile) and wheel baring problem on OBS (well-known problem for old Imprezas). They all covered by drive train warranty.

So, except for regular maintanence cost (30k, 60k and brake services), both cars didn't cost me any thing extra. I kept '97 OBS for 6 years and '98 OB for 8 years. Those maintanence costs are all paid with Subaru Buck$ coupon. And I still have close to $1k coupon left to be used in purchasing the Tribeca..
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I noticed that while loading groceries into the back of my 7 pass ltd (the a/c was on) that there is an air in-take accross from the sub-woofer. I never saw this in any of my much more expensive cars.

Nice feature since it not only recycles cooled or heated air in the cabin but also is constantly re- filtering the air through the cabin filter.

Nice touch
  • Options
    First of all - it is my personal belief that most extended warranties are not worth it. If they were a good deal for the buyer they would not offer them. They are almost pure profit for the dealer/factory.

In your case - figure how many miles you will drive it past the factory warranty. If it is a big number -you might want to consider it.

However, if you do not abuse your cars and from what I read from long term Subie owner, they are so reliable why would the average owner need the extended warranty?
  • Options
    A lease does not protect you from bugs. You are still respnsible for maintence & if you exceed warranty milage limits - repairs costs are yours.

As far as first year goes - almost evrything in the B9 - is proven from other models.
  • Options
    harvptharvpt Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the tip, Harv
  • Options
    That is why I only leased for 3 years. Everything as far as repairs concern is covered. Regular maintanence cost is never covered by any warranty.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The WSJ reviewed the Tribeca in this morning's paper. They likened the grill to a horseshoe.

At least the horseshoe is pointing up so that keeps the luck from running out.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Got the loaner, it's Mahogany/Beige, loaded up with DVD and Nav.

Right away we tested the NAV feature, which worked great. I plugged in my street address only, no city/state/zip and it found my house immediately. Hit calculate directions and in a few seconds a soft female voice started telling me what to do.

It was strangely familiar. LOL

We tried our best to fool it - took two shortcuts but it immediately recalculated the directions and never got lost. Saved my home address in there, then work, then a couple of other destinations, all in no time at all. This feature ROCKS and we are hooked, the wife definitely wants NAV now.

Took it to a shopping area and had to parallel park - visibility is not that great, but the huge side mirrors helped out a lot. I had no problem fitting in a relatively tight spot. A backup sensor or camera would make this a no-brainer, though.

MPG has ranged from 13 to 30, I'd say about 15-17 during my heavy city commute to DC and usually 26 or so cruising at speed on the highway. It feels more comfy out on the open roads in the suburbs, but that may be because I'm used to a tiny Miata on city streets.

Reactions so far have been positive. One neighbor of mine owns Audis and Volvos and his jaw dropped, he loved it.

My nanny came in this morning and asked for a raise. :-)

Just kidding, but I had to tell her it was a loaner or she probably would have. She called it "lindo", which is Portuguese for beautiful.

3rd person to see it was the Security Guard here at work, in the garage entrance. She liked it too, all smiles and a thumbs up.

So far so good. I missed the chat because I didn't want to stop driving. Tonight we head out for the beach with 7 people total, we'll see how it fits. DVD should help keep the kids quiet.

-juice
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Juice-

If you don't mind satisfying my curiousity, how are you doing the loaner? Is it through that Subaru 24hr test drive program, or just through the dealer?

Has anyone done the 24hr test drive yet? It appears that NY metro area dealers are part of a different group than those participating. I am going to call a participating dealer in southern NJ to try and set something up for the beginning of August. My wife and I will be down at the Jersey shore for a few days, so I figure to try it out then.

BTW-I have the extended warranty on my 2000 OB and it has been well worth the cost. It has covered the rotors, as well as fuel injectors, and even recently a faulty Oxygen sensor. Also, I have heard repeatedly on these boards that the Subaru warranty gets no hassle when needed, whereas aftermarkets can be very toguh to submit a claim. Patti always suggested to only go with a Subaru extd warranty.
    Mark
  • Options
    alextrifalextrif Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure. He mentioned it to me when he asked me where I got it. Told me that he takes his to Carter for service. Since I get free oil changes for life - I'll be taking mine to Eastside.
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Note that the reviewer personally owns and likes a 1998 Subaru Impreza wagon, but thinks the Tribeca is too slow, heavy and clumsy. For those who think they missed something by purchasing a VDC Outback just before the Tribeca was introduced, an amusing review. I can't imagine any extra weight on my VDC; it's porky enough!
    Dave
  • Options
    A little longer than that, I'll have it until Sunday and then Bob will get it until Tuesday. It was arranged by another web site that we contribute to on occasion.

This new offer means anyone can do it for a day, though. I've test driven one, plus spent that day driving maybe 6-7 of them for short periods in Valley Forge, but this lets you live with it and really see how much you like it. Go for the 24 hour drive, why not?

Off the line acceleration seems plenty peppy to me. I'll measure again when we have 7 people in it, let's see if it's lacking then.

-juice
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    we couldnt find anything that set it above, or even apart from, other vehicles in its class. .... no better than others we have driven in the past years. and thats a disappointment form a company once known for hatching trend-setters.
  • Options
    I personally owned two Impreza wagons and it is true those little wagons are quite nimble and fast even with only 137 hp engine on my 97 OBS. But that is what a sub-compact wagon good at. You sacrific space and quiteness for tight handling. But compare it to Tribeca is like compare apples and oranges. Tribeca should be compared to the cars in the same class like MDX, Pilot and Explorer. Compare to those cars, Tribeca is light, fast and nimble.

As for OB VDC, it's in an odd place. Personally, I think VDC alone spoiled fun for the OB with a H-6 engine and advanced AWD (VTD). The VDC design is too conservative for the light compact wagon of OB. You can't do any sprited driving without VDC get in the way. On the other hand, VDC is a perfect match for a heavier car like Tribeca where it definitely benifits from it instead of get hammpered by.
  • Options
    Is more like it. Tribeca is huge even compared to my Forester.

That's one thing about it - I'm used to small cars and this feels big, not the ideal city car, definitely more comfy in the 'burbs and out on highways where it can stretch its legs.

-juice
  • Options
    Off the line acceleration seems plenty peppy to me. I'll measure again when we have 7 people in it, let's see if it's lacking then.

If you drive alone, acceleration is acceptable. With 7 adults (I've done it twice), it screams "more torque please" :)
  • Options
    It ain't a school bus, foxbat121! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    It ain't a school bus, foxbat121!

I know. It is one of those lunch breaks at work where we usually stack in to someone's MDX everyday :)
  • Options
    Sounds like fun.

Our trip is about 150 miles each way, so we'll really put it to the test. 4 kids and 3 adults, one of them petite, so we should be OK if they pack light.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Juice, take note of the rearward vision when the rear DVD screen is down and being used. As you know there was some discussion as to whether it blocked rearward vision. You'll be the first here to have first-hand experience with it down. :)

Bob
  • Options
    To be honest I relied a lot on those side mirrors when I parallel parked. Not sure the DVD screen would have made any difference at all.

But I have to back out of my parking spot at the beach so I'll be trying it out a lot.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Not parking, but driving, looking through your interior rearview mirror.

Bob
  • Options
    I'll see if I notice it.

With 4 screaming kids in the car I doubt it'll be the DVD distracting me!

-juice
  • Options
    shane850shane850 Member Posts: 36
    Bob,

I have had my B9 for almost two months now and have used the DVD screen in the back quite a few times. You can see it in the rearview mirror but it does not block your view in my opinion. It is really just at the top of it.

I have had it down on 5 hour trips and it really did not bother me.

Also, I should say that I am a person that checks behind while driving all the time and cannot stand for things to block my view to the back.

Shane
  • Options
    shane850shane850 Member Posts: 36
    Any word on after-market or chromed factory wheels yet? I am still looking and have not seen anything.

Shane
  • Options
    Dealers want them. That's what my buddy said, people are asking for them. Not my cup of tea, though.

-juice
  • Options
    krusty_krusty_ Member Posts: 11
    Well I think ive sealed the deal. Silver, loaded, DVD, Nav, Tow, Sticker is 40,105 Out the Door for 39,600. (36,635 + tax and Lic in Ca) That is with Invoice price and the Tow package for free. So real world 435 under inv, Wife is very excited.

Any owners have problems with the small back window? I was a concern to me after reading some posts, Just wondering

We also looked at an MDX as we get a loaded Touring with Nav and DVD for 38,588 - Coming from a Pilot we were like "whats the point" 18K more than we sold our Pilot for , -to get a better dash. and Xenons.

Funniest thing, the sales guy fell asleep on the test ride, and he was out cold@@,
  • Options
    neal4uneal4u Member Posts: 2
    Anyone with good deals available?. Must have leather, 5 passenger is OK, light color. Could handle Nav but I can read maps OK. Will travel for deal.

Thanks, Neal
  • Options
    neal4uneal4u Member Posts: 2
    krusty:

Where did you purchase? Would you recommend? Hope it's northern California then I an see my great grandson! ha ha

Thanks
    neal4u
  • Options
    photoguy2photoguy2 Member Posts: 164
    I own one with DVD and my daughter used it on a 5 hour trip to VA. It does impeed the view somewhat but not enought to bother me. I was still able to comfortably see what was behind me.
  • Options
    At first I was concerned about the back window... 4,000 miles later not so much. You really do get used to the size of the vehicle. That said for safety sake I will add for about $250.00 some sonar sensors to the back bumper.
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    For those who've been subjected to my shameless plugs for this guy before, I apologize. :)

Neal, check out cars101.com. His dealership's in Seattle and he'll quote you a no-nonsense price. Experienced with long-distance deals, extremely knowledgeable, honest and awesome to work with.

5-passenger models are not available with NAV or DVD. E-mail him the exact car you want & he'll reply with a quote, or you can view the dealer's inventory here. For light colors, they've got 5-Pass Limiteds in champagne and silver and 7-Pass Limiteds in Satin White (4 total, 2 w/DVD&NAV), silver (1 w/DVD&NAV) and champagne (1).

Other folks have posted good experiences also, but I'll let them speak for themselves. (cough, fitzmall.com cough, cough)
  • Options
    There is also an air duct under the front passenger seat to help cool the back.... :P
  • Options
    Use Subaru.com dealer locator, you can browse all the cars in nearby dealers' lot. Pick one you like and email the dealer for a quote on that specific car. That's how I bought my last two Subarus (03 WRX and 06 Tribeca).
  • Options
    krusty_krusty_ Member Posts: 11
    Yes Northern California, I work at Oracle and get VIP however, even at Stevens Creek Subaru, i was at 2K off without a mention of VIP. Im in Sac, the dealers here are not moving the TriB very fast. The dealer in working with has not sold one yet/

CR-
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
  • Options
    coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    Does the 5 passenger also have the air duct under the front passenger seat? I would imagine that without some kind of air circulation for the second row passengers other than the dashboard vents that the rear could get quite warm.
  • Options
    Not sure but I would imagine so. I'll take a look next time at the dealer...
  • Options
    Okay, Need some help. I was in Massachusetts for business and the receptionist at one of my sales calls fell in love with my new B9. She overheard me speaking about it and said she was looking at the Highlander or Lexus. She lives on the North Shore (Danvers area) Which dealer would you folks recommend she go to? I'm trying to remember the rules in asking this question... I hope I'm okay if not tell me!
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Even Outbacks and Legacys have had that duct under the front seats (pass and driver) for years, so I am sure all models of the Tribeca have it. As far as I know, it only is activated when the HVAC system is blowing heat in the "floor" or "bi-level" modes. Meant to warm the feet. Given the size and location of the duct, it would not help much with cooling.

Craig
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    For those of you with roof racks on your B9 -- are there multiple mounting points for the crossbars, or just the two shown in all the pictures?? One of the things that drove me away from the MDX many years ago, and is giving me similar thoughts about the Tribeca, are the near-useless factory racks and mount points. One thing I have always appreciated about my Outbacks are the excellent rack mounting options -- basically siderails that run the full length of the car. Gives a lot of flexibility for factory and aftermarket crossbars.

Anyone looked into Yakima or Thule solutions for the B9 yet?

thanks,
    CRaig
  • Options
    coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    I was pretty sure that the under front seat duct was only for heat. I am considering a
    5 passenger Tribeca - never any need for the third row. But I live in a very hot climate (Arizona) and am concerned that without the rear vents for the a/c that the car will not be able to be cooled sufficiently. I guess another test drive is necessary since my last one was in a 7 passenger.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm trying to remember the rules ...

It's okay to post the name of a dealership - but not contact information (names of salespeople, phone numbers, email addresses etc.)

tidester, host
  • Options
    dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    Isn't the rear seat air conditioner designed for the third row? I thought that the ducts are in the ceiling directly above or even behind the second row seats and directed to the third row.

The Tribeca is only one inch longer than the Outback. I have an Outback and I've never sensed a problem cooling the rear seats.

Do the Tribeca's 5 seat competitors like the Murano, RX330, X5 or even the Explorer that come in at 185-90 inches have rear vents?
  • Options
    I just returned from a trip to Biloxi. we were out with my 7 pass B9. My son and a friend were up front and sat in the second row.

Having the 2 rows of HVAC ducts for the 2nd & 3rd rows showed me the extra money was well worth it.

The rear sectioned cooled down quickly and things were very comfortable. You can not control the air temp but you have complete control over volume and direction.

The rear cooling is also nice when carrying perishable groceries home on a sweltering hot day.

If you can afford it, get it. You'll get most of it back when you trade it in.
  • Options
    There are 2 rows in the ceiling (2 ducts in each row) for both 2nd & 3rd rows. One fan control in the rear of the front console.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Ira Subaru is right in Danvers but they are a mega dealer (Toyota, Lexus, Scion, Audi, Porsche, Mazda, and Subaru all along one stretch of Rt. 114) and that may turn off some folks.

When I shopped, I went to Wakefield Subaru - literally 10 miles south of Danvers. They have a small lot and showroom but claim to be the biggest seller in metro Boston. I liked their style - no sales person on the ride, straight shooter on price and incentives.
  • Options
    b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    I have the 5 passenger Limited. The AC is really strong. We've had some miserable hot days here and the AC is usually kept on the lowest setting. Baby is in the backseat and needs a blanket! The rear AC is still a worthy option, but if you don't need the seats, why pay for the extra weight.

Robert B
    NY