Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Supra

Comments

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Yep, and of those only TWO (Mustang and RX8) have occasional seating for a couple of kids in the back seat.
  • prguy77prguy77 Member Posts: 14
    Um... Pontiac GTO anyone? Not only will it handily beat all others on that list, but it will do it with plenty of room in the back seats for 2 people.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Is this market flat? Fading? Or ripe for rejuvination?

Mustangs and Vettes will always sell.

If the others want in, it's a mixture of timing, product, pricing, and heritage.

Looks like Toyota will not be pulled back in, like "The Godfather", anytime soon.

DrFill
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    DO bring a new Supra and the price is much above $30 grand, it is going to beg comparisons with the GTO, and 400 hp is going to kill the 250-300 that Supra will have at this price.

I think from Toyota's business-oriented perspective, this segment IS too crowded to bother bringing in another model.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    I think a supra can make it. Using a platform that is already in 2 other models (GS/IS) would cut any costs of developing a new chassis and the amount of fans in a world market willing to buy cause they never got or always wanted a supra (the name is a hell of a lot bigger than u could imagine), not to mention if its faster than the rest 25-30k sport sedans, I could expect at least 100k worldwide annual sales (at least for a year or two). Not much by toyota standards, but using a platform spread across 3 vehicles as opposed to an exclusive chassis a la MKIV supra (supra chassis wasnt used in anything else but the IS300 and thats after it left the US market) it would still make profit.

All else failing how about an IS460 coupe (or supercharged IS350 coupe) with a manual tranny and a VDIM kill switch please?

***on that note, have you guys seen the TRD Tacoma X runner?!?! supercharged 1GR engine 400hp, 350ft/lbs tq...from a base of 245hp, 285 ft/lbs tq***
    Is that at SEMA? Tell me more!

Drfill
  • tim817tim817 Member Posts: 1
    i wonder will the next Supra be a 4 seaters or 2. I would like it to have 4 thou. and that's the reason why i didn't buy 350z cuz they have only 2 seat.
    Sorry i took so long to get back. It was at SEMA, the story was on inside line check in the news section....

aww heck, here is the link......
    link title
  • malo_oicmalo_oic Member Posts: 3
    2007 Toyota Supra ">concept

• lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    The picture won't show...
    "The picture won't show..."

Yikes......the power of Toyota to keep this car under wraps is downright scary :surprise: :P
    :D
    So what's the new news on the '07 Supra? I had heard it was supposed to debut at the Tokyo auto show, but they debuted that Lexus LF-something or other instead. :cry: Is the Supra on again or off again? Thanks guys

JOE
  • toyotaf1fantoyotaf1fan Member Posts: 37
    Whats going on with this car? Dr. Fill, you know anything??

We all know Toyota needs a car like this. If Edmunds is predicting a 2006 release date there should be some new information on it.

Mullins
    Well it doesn't seem like the Supra will return for 2006 model year, or even the 2007. :cry: Absolutely no news...
  • supraloverzsupraloverz Member Posts: 1
    Hey, im Bryan. I think that its great that they are bringing back the supra to the U.S. Its not my favorite looking supra from the drawings that ive seen of the prototype. I think they should keep the same body style, but add some new features to it such as LED brake lights, re-designed interiors, and some more engine options, but thats all i think they should change. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE supras, and even though the new one isnt my favorite, id be glad to roll one of those babys down the 205 freeway. But, my most favorite supra of all is the 1998 Toyota supra, with the 3.0 litre in-line 6 cylinder twin turbo. Man, that baby looked SWEET!!! If ya want a good supra site that i stumbled upon, go to www.suprastore.com. They will even make you a replica of The Fast and the Furious orange supra, WITH the 2JZ engine and an entire web page of extras. That all i have to say for now. Peace ya'll. :shades:
    with expectations that will not materialize, based solely on their wishes. No amount of wishing is bringing back the Supra any time soon. The Supra-like concept car will be a production Lexus stickering near $100 grand, for the rich and foolish who have no idea what to do with a proper sports car. This is all Toyota has EVER hinted at. All the speculation of a $30K model to revive the Supra name was nothing more than just that: speculation, with a dose of fantasizing thrown in for good measure.

And if I sound bitter, well, i was really hoping for a revival of the Supraname too. I can't believe Toyota would let Nissan revive the mighty Z car and not offer anything to compete. Times have really changed at the hybrid-n-huge-trucks brand...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Amen.

And with the market soon to be flooded with powerful RWD coupes (retro styled muscle cars) that actually can HANDLE respecfully (Mustang, GTO, Camaro, and Challenger), in addition to the 350Z/G35 and RX8, maybe Toyota figures there just isn't room for another RWD sports coupe in the $30-$35k range?

Besides, they're probably trying to carve out another niche for YET ANOTHER DAMN SUV to add to the lineup..... :mad:

I don't know why it irritates me so much that the highest performing vehicle that Toyota offers with a manual transmission is a.....pickup truck? :confuse:
    Yeah! Whoop whoop, go X-Runner!! :sick:

Guess we'll just have to learn to love the next-gen 270 hp Solara V-6 SE, with sport package, eh??!! Automatic only, of course.

:cry:

I may not've said it here, but I have read a quote from Danny Clements, about 18 months ago, stating that Toyota had a choice in making a new vehicle for their brand, a youthful, hip SUV, or to resurrect the Mighty Supra.

Hello FJ Cruiser! :surprise:

In a perfect world, the Supra would replace the Land Cruiser in the lineup, as having the FJ (according to Toyota, the most capable off-raoder they produce) and Land Cruiser is somewhat redundant.

Toyota doesn't even offer a $20k sports coupe, that's a hint. Try getting a Solara with a stick!

With the success of the Scion tC, Toyota may realize, by 2010, that there is a nice market for a sporty Toyota. I've driven the tC, and it is no sports car, but a quality car. Celica was a secretary's car, 'cept for the All-Trac.

If the '93 arrived in 1990, aaginst the '90 300ZX, it would've been LS400 vs. Q45 all over again.

It's time to let this dream go guys ("I just keep having this dream!"). We all have to wake up, and find new heroes. :cry:

I'm backing the Evo X, myself. Hopefully, Mitsu is still solvent in 2 years. And they also don't go SMG.

DrFill
    "I've driven the tC, and it is no sports car, but a quality car."

I've driven the tC too, and it was no Celica (particularly compared to my GTS). I really, really wanted to like the tC. No dice for me.

"It's time to let this dream go guys"

Yep. Afraid you're right. See you around, Toyota......
    sporty, and seriously FAST, small or medium-size cars that are out there now or going to be in the next year or two - Mustang, reborn Camaro, Challenger, on the Japanese side the STi, the Evo, the next-gen Skyline that will actually make it here (yessss!), Eclipse (if a bit too porky), new SI from Honda, and on it goes.

Against this backdrop, Toyota has NOTHING AT ALL to compete. No, tC doesn't count, I have driven it, a decent car yes, but such a pale replacement for the Celica it doesn't even count, especially not among that group of cars I just mentioned.

This is by far the biggest hole in the Toyota line-up these days. The Land Cruiser has been over-luxed to the point of extinction, which it will probably become at the next revamp. I say kill it but keep an LX for the Lexus set, and produce a really worthy sporty car instead. Make it four doors if you have to, but make it a Toyota.

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I've switched flags to Mazda. Sorry Toyota. 'Loved the Tercel, but that was back in the day of the Corolla GT-S, MR2, Celica, and Supra. Looks like I joined the workforce a several years too late.

But then, the last Celica, MRS, and IS300 didn't sell a whole lot. It may be that only specialized manufacturers can afford to go for such a small market. Or financially unwise ones. Are people like us relevant?
    "Are people like us relevant?"

ouch.

Well, I think I'm pretty relevant.

And yeah, as far as the imports go, I'm starting to lean heavily towards Mazda. Their new Kabura (sp?) concept looks like the spiritual successor to my Celica GTS, with the added bonus of being RWD. And the RX-8 could easily be my next car (although the rotary is a bit thirsty for the amount of torque it generates).

I can't say at this time I've definitely switched flags to Mazda (I've got a soft spot for the Mustang and the Camaro concept looks really appetizing to me), but it definitely ain't Toyota anymore.
    Here are pictures of what the next Supra may look like :
    If this is found to be true, that's great ! That car is so good looking ! ;) ">
    We are relevant, but we are NOT the mass market. Toyota is mass market to the EXTREME these days. And I have to admit, that is a philosophy that has served them VERY well financially speaking.

Not to mention, "sportiness" is mostly something manufacturers advertise to sell cars, even as they dumb those cars down for the American market.

Mazda is one of the few manufacturers that doesn't do this, and look how they got punished (in sales) for it with the Mazda6.

• chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    It looks a lot like the latest Celica from the front, IMO.... :D
    Could you maybe show a link to the pictures? They show up as broken links in your post. Thanks!
    If I did, it would get you to another forum and I think that giving links to other forums is prohibited... Sorry.
  • mrgrubbsmrgrubbs Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, out of stock check the Dealerships.
  • da89soupda89soup Member Posts: 1
    All you guys kill me!!!! Not that I am an expert on a new Supra but I have to say If??????? Toyota comes out with a new Supra and its not an inline six cylinder it is not a Supra. Have you all forgoten the Supra heritage stems from the 2000gt? And since the 5m,7m,1j,2j engine lines are all dead. It would be smart to think Toyota will not build a new engine for one car, I have to think that if Toyota ever does build another sports car that it will not carry the name Supra. And God help all of us Supra owners because if they do bring back a Supra again all of us will go from owning a piece of history to just owning an old car with no value!!!!
  • rb1rb1 Member Posts: 11
    Lexi4life,

Where did you get this, can this be considered somewhat reliable? I'm just like everyone else in this post, I'm really hopeful for the supra to come back. Mazda, Nissan, Mitsbushi all pale in comparison to what the Supra left behind when it left us in 1998. If it's legit, it gives me hope that we'll see the return of the supra. It's tough to get a good feel for the size of the car, but I like what I see. Any ideas guy!?!?!?!

If this isnt the supra, how about that design for the SC?
  • swisspraveenswisspraveen Member Posts: 14

If this isnt the supra, how about that design for the SC?

i don't think the SC will look like this, because the SC will stick to the l-finesse design. And this just doesn't have any l-finesse at all, though it's handsome...
    But if I read that right, 5L, 450HP?

That's gotta be $45k+! I don't know if that would be a Toyota at that price.

Not as fly as the '93, but worth looking at. :)

DrFill
    there is always image

the 300hp V6 version :D
    WOW
    You will have my undying love and affection!

That 'vert has got 6-speed Auto written all over it. But a "Base" 6-speed stick coupe for $34,995 would be dominant! A G35 coupe competitor.

DrFill
  • dokilat1dokilat1 Member Posts: 22
    'OVERPRICED' is hard to use correctly. TOYOTA is within a few years of becoming the world's largest car manufacturer. GM is downsizing while Toyota is building more plants in North America.

If we see the MKV Supra, my guesses are:
    - same engine as the LF-A for half the price; or
    - the LF-A will be a Lexus Supra

Either way, it will beat the Corvette and everything else with 500HP or less.
    You are not making sense. The Supra will never see a V10 engine, if it is ever put into production again. Nor would it sell for 1/2 the price of the LF-A (you do realise that the LF-A is supposed to be +$100k right?...and why would toyota put the same engine into two cars that are worlds apart? I dont see lexus using the V10 outside of the brand, maybe not even outside of the LF-A). I do hope that they do make use of the V10 though, and not put it to rest before it goes into production, god that thing sounds sweet...even if I could afford the LF-A, maybe one day we'd see a GS with V10 :D

The supra was, is and always will be a toyota. If you want a lexus 'supra' that'd be the soarer a.k.a Lexus SC.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Take the IS' 3.5, slap a stick on it, put this new skin around it, and charge $32k plus options.

DrFill
    ...dont forget the 'off' switch for the nanny.. and maybe 32k including options... the 350z is at sub 30k base price
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    It ain't a Supra unless it's turbo'd!

I would like to see a turboed Supra above the regular 3.5L V-6 one.
    You are not making sense. If we see the new Supra, it will have more power than the previous generation TT. Are you a MKIV owner?
    I LOVED the '82-'86s - no turbos there, and it was a hoot to drive at the time.

You don't need a turbo on the "base" model. If there are two versions, then it would be great to have a turbo step-up option.

However, I have always thought it most likely that if the Supra made it back, it would be using the engines out of existing Lexus models, and starting at around $30K. In that case, I would hope for the 3.5 out of the IS as the base car, and the future V-8 out of the GS as the step-up engine. I don't think it will be a good business case for Toyota to spend a lot on development of such a niche model (and we know Toyota depends on good business models to launch products), so the chances of an all-new turbo engine for the Supra are slim to none.

I'm not making sense? Please...point out the error in my reason, Einstien.

Further more, if you use the old SAE standards (which the MKIV TT Supra was measured by) you would see the 2GR-FSE makes 315-325 hp. That'd do it for me, how about you?

And no, I dont own a MKIV, but my project car would be a 1992 JZA70.

And with respect to the users who commented that a supra isnt a supra with out a turbo, get with the times. You wont be seeing any supra turbo unless its aftermarket or TRD. And as for history, ALL supras, from its ancestor, the 2000gt to the celica-supra, up to the 1985 Supras were NA (only JDM models were offered with turbos from 1981) :P

I'd love to see a new TT supra as much as anybody else, but Ive already come to terms with the fact that we probably wont see one, if we get a new supra at all.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Adds power it may not need, hurts insurance rates.

The Z sells great with a large six. If Toyota made a Supra, it would be three things.

1. Lighter than the pudgy Z

2. More powerful

3. Better lookin'! Just like before! :shades:

DrFill
    I started my first reply with a couple of guesses about the new Supra's power. Your opening reply was 'You're not making sense'. I replied back with the same opening sentence. Then you called me Einstein. I thought this was a place to voice out your opinions, without being called names.

I didn't say anything about the new Supra (still a big if) having a turbo. I will say it again. If we see the new Supra, it will have more power than the previous generation. Again that's my guess.

A MKV with 315-325 hp? I would look and admire it, but I wouldn't buy it.
    You said that the supra would have the same engine as the LF-A. Sorry if I was a bit coarse, or that you got offended by me calling you 'Einstein', but that just isn't gonna happen. Nor will the supra sell at a price point half of that as the LF-A..that would make the supra in excess of $50k, thats what killed it in the first place, it simply wont happen like that again, and thats why I said you arent making sense...Everyone is entitled to his opinion, or 'guesses', and same as you feel you should express them, the same way i'm alowed to tell you I think know you are wrong.

I'm sure Toyota is greiving about that fact that you wouldnt buy the MKV if it came out with more hp than anything in its supposed target market as well as more than the last gen NA and TT supra(320hp), I sure am.......how dare you?!?!
    :D

I suppose that a MKV would sell at a price point between $27-32k, how many other V6, 315-325hp RWD sport coupes sell at that price point?
    The base Lexus IS coupe would be putting out similar figures, I dont see Toyota providing a more powerful car for cheaper, and they simply can't make it more expensive.
    Pray tell, what would you buy? 350Z? Mustang V8? I'm curious, and even more curious about what you'd expect. Maybe a 400-500 hp V8/V10 for lets say maybe $25-35K?
This discussion has been closed.