Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne

Comments

• rake2rake2 Member Posts: 120
    I was initially interested in the Nav, and was told that it would not be available until around April. The cost of it, according to some of the websites I've seen, is going to be about 2,000.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    I have not seen this specific info. posted here:

Week of 2/13/2006
    Effective 2/13/2006, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
    • Interior section-(UE1) OnStar, revised description to read "1-year of Directions and Connections plan. Includes Automatic
    Notification of Air Bag Deployment, Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance, Emergency Services, Roadside Assistance,
    Remote Door Unlock, OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, Hands-Free Calling, AccidentAssist, Remote Horn and Lights,
    Information and Convenience Services, and Driving Directions delivered through OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation (where
    available)".
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Reductions in the retail price should also mean a reduction in the invoice price, but perhaps a bit less. A $1500 reduction at retail probably would be around $1350 less at invoice. So any cars that dealers have from before the price decrease could be sold at invoice (old invoice) prices because the dealers are only going to have to pay the new invoice price or are getting a discount or whatever...
    Onstar navigation is not exactly the same thing as navigation...
    "Onstar navigation is not exactly the same thing as navigation... "

Agree 100%.
    Just find the description interesting. . .
    - Ray
    Wondering if a 'trip-by-trip' \ one use = $x.xx might ever be available, since I think I'd use this - maybe once in 3 months . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I have not asked OnStar for any help at this point although I do have the mid-level of OnStar service. I have never needed help.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Onstar navigation is not exactly the same thing as navigation...

No it is so much better. Just push the button, tell the person where you want to go and then just follow the directions just like the screen one does. No need to hunt on the screen, now need to go in the ditch looking down. the only negative is the lack of the "cool" screen. Oh yea, it's free for the first year and only $17/ month from then on. Compare that to $2000 fo the in dash thingy.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    This is from an article at http://tinyurl.com/kq4xe dated 2/7/06. Note the last sentence: "The exact pricing hasn't been set, although Turn by Turn is just a month from launching in the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS, followed by the sportier Cadillac STS in June. OnStar president Chet Huber projects the cost will be somewhere between the two current packages: Directions & Connections, $399 (or $34.95 a month), and Safe & Sound,$199 (or $16.95 a month); thus our estimate of about $10 a month more than the base-level Safe & Sound. That's also what cellular providers such as Verizon typically charge for cellular navigation; VZ Navigator runs $10 a month or, for vacationers and business travelers, $3 for a 24-hour period. Huber said OnStar will consider selling trip packs -- 10 for $30, perhaps?"
    Week of 2/13/2006
    Effective 2/13/2006, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
    • Interior section-(UE1) OnStar, revised description to read "1-year of Directions and Connections plan. Includes Automatic
    Hate to repeat what was lready posted but:

Notification of Air Bag Deployment, Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance, Emergency Services, Roadside Assistance, Remote Door Unlock, OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, Hands-Free Calling, AccidentAssist, Remote Horn and Lights, Information and Convenience Services, and Driving Directions delivered through OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation (where available)".

This was all included in the first year as free.
    Just ran across something that really interested me - it's a live interview with Chet Huber, president of OnStar, about OnStar's new Turn-by-Turn Navigation. He describes in much more detail than I've heard before how it works. In particular, he said that, while you are driving, you can ask the system things such as "How far to my destination", or "What are the next few turns up a head?" He also explained how OnStar TBT uses the ABS system on your car as a dead reckoning input to keep track of where your car is while it is temporarily out of touch with the satellite, as in a tunnel. I didn't realize that conventional screen-type systems use a gyroscope for this.

Any way, if you have a few minutes to spare, go to http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/ and scroll down to the article called Podcast: OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation. Click on "Download The MP3" and you will receive the interview as it was conducted on Feb 7th.

One thing I'm not clear on from listening is whether OnStar Gen 7 (necessary for T-B-T) will be included in the Buick CTL or only in the CTS in March.
    Make that CXL and CXS (not CTL.
    I understand it to be standard on all Lucernes. could be wrong though.
    Sent an email in an effort to determine whether my CXS that I bought in December will be able to receive the turn by turn nav. Listening to the interview as I type this.
    Having listened to the interview, now I'm concerned I'm getting screwed by being one of the first to buy the Lucerne. Sounds like this feature won't be available on cars built before March. Wonder what the Gen 7 consists of, whether in can be put on my car, and if so at what cost.
  • smitty52smitty52 Member Posts: 6
    Is the Lucerne really the replacement for the Park Avenue and the LeSabre or is there going to be a new model in the future that more closely resmbles the Park Avenue, especially the Park Avenue Ultra? :cry:
  • smitty52smitty52 Member Posts: 6
    In the brochure/book for the Lucerne, a DVD Navigation system is pictured and listed as an available option but noted as "Late Availability". What exactly does Late Availability mean? Is that still going to be offered as an alternative to OnStar? Will it be part of a package or sold separately? :confuse:
    Believe it comes out in April and will cost approximately $2000. Not sure if it will be available for all trim models or not.
    Will be next to impossible to retrofit. ABS sensors built into system.
    Is the Lucerne really the replacement for the Park Avenue and the LeSabre or is there going to be a new model in the future that more closely resmbles the Park Avenue, especially the Park Avenue Ultra?

The Lucerne is better contented and more uplevel than the LeSabre. Lucerne does replace Park but hopefully someday there will be someting more upscale. Perhaps RWD.
    Hope you're wrong, or I'm really going to be upset w/ GM, given that the salesmen and regional reps weren't up to date on this stuff and when it would come out. Also, the diagnostics sent by Onstar evaluate the ABS system, so maybe that communication between the systems is already there (at least one can hope).
    What did the regionial rep tell you exactly? the daler and reps would not have known much about it in December. Heck they probably would not have known it was coming out.
    Regional rep was describing this ability in Onstar before any of the Lucernes came out - was telling me about it in mid-October, and said it would be able to do the turn by turn navigation as part of the directions and connections plan. Said nothing about that not being the case until March vehicles came out.
    Well, I was wrong on who knew what, when.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    I'm not as much waiting for an upscale Lucerne as a return of the Riviera. Owned an '87 before going overseas and during the six years of ownership it never failed to put a smile on my face when I drove it.
    I'm not sure how much chance there is for a full size 2 door Buick. The Velite convertible might have met your needs but I doubt they will make it.

http://www.allprinted.com/Buick_Velite_poster_photo.html?img=10124

But it may happen
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060116/FREE/60116001/1041
    What ever happened to the idea of the Buick Bengal?
    I thinkwe can agree that overall Buick has had some of the best looking show cars in the last 5 years. Too bad GM has not let them build them. Hopefully the Enclave is a step in the right direction and the LaCrosse replacement is styled like the show cars.
    Maybe I'm mistaken about his position and he's further up in the company. I'll try to find out this weekend.

Did find out that my car has a Gen 6.1 Digital Onstar system, which doesn't sound like it has the capability to provide the turn by turn navigation. Grrrrrrrrr.
    In answer to your question, this is part of an email I received today from a Buick Customer Relationship Manager:
    "Dealerships now have ordering information for the navigation system for the 2006 Lucerne. The sound system is an ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player, MP3 playback and DVD-based touch-screen navigation, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock. This option is available on CXL and CXS models, and requires the Entertainment Package. The Entertainment Package is available on CXL models and standard on CXS models, and includes the premium harman/kardon, 280 watt, nine-speaker system and XM Satellite Radio.

"OnStar 7.0 with Turn-by-Turn Navigation is scheduled to debut on the 2006 Buick Lucerne in March of 2006. Please visit www.onstar.com or consult your preferred Buick dealer to determine whether a Lucerne with OnStar 6.0 would be able to be upgraded to 7.0. If a 2006 Lucerne is produced after March of 2006, both OnStar 7.0 and the navigation system should be available. We wish you success in your vehicle purchase!

"We hope that this information is helpful to you. If you need additional information or have further questions, please let us know via email or by calling Buick at 1-800-422-8425, between 8:00 AM-11:00 PM Eastern Time, seven days per week. Again, thank you for contacting Buick!"
  • jbuzzerdjbuzzerd Member Posts: 1
    Had may new CXS on its first trip yesterday and there was no control of my cruise when going downhill. Looked down once and saw I was going 90, and that with the speed set between 70 and 75.

I used to have similar problems years ago, but not in the last 15 years or so. Please tell me this is a correctable problem.
    "Distribution Updates
    Updates for Lucerne
    Week of 2/27/2006
    Effective 2/27/2006, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

* Interior section-Added (U3U) Sound system with navigation, AM/FM stereo with CD player, MP3 playback and DVD-based touch-screen navigation, seek-an-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, speed-compensated volume and Theftlock. It will be "--" on CX, "A1" on CXL V6, CXL V8 and CXS with footnote 1 to read "Requires (PCJ) Entertainment Package."
    * Color and Trim section-(15U) Cashmere Metallic, added a new footnote 3 to read "Unavailable for ordering as of 2/10/06.".
    * Color and Trim section-(68U) Glacier Blue Metallic, added a new footnote 4 to read "Unavailable for ordering as of 3/3/06." old footnote 3 becomes footnote 5.
    * Color and Trim Section-(23U) Sagemist Metallic, changed symbol under Titanium from "--" to "A". "
    2022 X3 M40i
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    All my cars, GM or not, do that. It actually states in the manual that it's up to the driver to control the speed down hill.

My Dodge Stratus would down shift if the speed was way faster than the set one. I liked this feature until it down shifted in a turn and unbalanced the car, catching me by surprise.

I'll drive my cars, thank you.
    Why in the world would they discontinue the Cashmere Metallic paint color just when I'm ready to order it on my new CXL? Do you know if they plan a replacement color?
    Ford's Fusion and Buick's Lucerne are proving to be hot sellers among the wealth of new cars and trucks offered by domestic and foreign automakers this model year.

With Buick's first V-8 in a decade along with an upgraded interior and completely new styling, the Lucerne started off with sales of 285 units in October, 2,724 in November, 5,812 in December and 6,107 last month. The surge has given it a 23.9 percent market share for the full-size sedan market, which includes Ford's Five Hundred and Crown Victoria, the Mercury Montego and Grand Marquis, and the LeSabre, one of two models it replaced.
  • larrymitlarrymit Member Posts: 80
    I'm with you. My 1997 Riv has 110,000 miles on it, and I'd love a new Riviera. It needs to be a true luxury coupe with the same level of trim, etc., as a Park Avenue Ultra. If it were based on a top-level Lucerne, but with its own body (not just a two-door Lucerne), I think it could be a big seller.
    I don't think so. Your 97 Riviera was a big coupe and after the initial couple of years with good sales, the demand dropped off. I think a 4 door couple, like the 3 door Saturn coupe, might be something that would work.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I too don't think it's a big seller. It has a limited audience. The Lucerne type car with its (overly) broad coverage replacing the LeSabre and Park Ave has appeal to a large number of customers. If only they come out and try one for a test drive, rather than thinking their Camry-Avalon or Accord is a better car, well, because they used to be a better car?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    The GM Hydramatic 2nd is good to over 70 in hard acceleration, and even though it will be a lot better when Buick puts in the new 6spd GM-Ford transmission, the 4 spd provides plenty with the v-8. With the 3800 and a more relaxed axle ratio, the car feels a bit lethargic under some conditions. I am contemplating getting a Ming Blue CXL with V-8. It is the best deal of all the Lucerne models and gives me everything I want. With my GM Card, I have been quoted $27,500. Why buy an uncomfortable Azera? Wouldn't we really rather have a Buick?
    I was talking about cruising speeds in my post, which I did not make clear. My 2002 Seville will do upwards of 90 MPH in 2nd gear. I don't think the FWD six speed will be available on the V8 Lucernes any time soon.
    I received the following information from GM today (2/28/2006):

According to our information, OnStar 7.0 with the Turn-by-Turn Navigation feature is now available to order on the 2006 Lucerne. Your preferred Buick dealership would be able to confirm this for you using their ordering system. To obtain more information regarding the Lucerne, please visit www.buick.com or contact your preferred dealership.
    Has anyone who's driven a Lucerne noticed how extremely wide the turning radius is? I don't know if that's only because of the 18" tires that come on the CXS, or whether all of the trim levels have that characteristic.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    The turning radius has to do with the suspension set up at the front, the track and the wheelbase. There may be differences between the V6 and the V8 cars, but it's not because of wheel or tire size.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Too bad.

:( :mad: :surprise:

That kills it for me.

Otherwise, it's a very good car but the H.I.D. lights are a must in this segment and moreover they are the automotive illumination of the future. And save the comments about them being simply a performance feature. They are a safety feature.

When will GM ever learn??!

'Nuff said.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper would like to interview current and former owners of Buicks. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Tuesday, March 7, 2006 with your daytime contact info, your Buick's year, make and model, and a few thoughts on the subject of interest.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The turning radius has to do with the suspension set up at the front, the track and the wheelbase. There may be differences between the V6 and the V8 cars, but it's not because of wheel or tire size.

Actually that is incorrect. The steering radius is often made larger to accomodate wider tires to keep from rubbing. Not sure if this is the case on the Lucerne but probably since it is an older architecture with new wider tires.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I believe there is a problem with this thread www.jfallon@edmunds.com. I tried several times and all that I received was "This page cannot be displayed" :sick:

Ken
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    You're supposed to respond by sending an email to that address without the www.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I asked the OnStar folks if an upgrade to Generation 7.0 and Turn-by-Turn is possible and they replied that it is "Unavailable at this time". Sorry, rake2, but at least you should be able to use Directions & Connections for navigation info.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Thanks

:blush:
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    They may be a safety feature for the driver of the car, but they are not a safety feature for those who drive at night and are blinded when approaching these blue light cars. On some cars that come with these OEM light bulbs, it costs several hundred dollars to replace one.

No blue lights for me, thank you.