Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

This Water Is Not for Drinking - 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Toyota
This Water Is Not for Drinking - 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

Just to the left of the steering wheel in our our 2016 Toyota Mirai is a button that you won't see in any standard car. It's labeled

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Oh... kay. Is this for people that flip out when there is a small puddle of WATER underneath their cars? You have a button for that? Could you imagine paying to get something so silly repaired?
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    Go Go Gadget Mobile!

Okay....not REALLY about this particular post...but can Edmunds please do a head-to-head endurance run with the Tesla Model X, the Mirai, the Volt, and a "regular" car? I'd like to see, over a period of time that's realistic, of distance driven on a standard course, of how many miles you can get out of the vehicles, including recharge/refueling time, between all types. For example, while the Model X has the greatest range of the electric vehicles, it takes hours to recharge. Sort of like a 24 hours of Edmunds. Run them continuously and see how many miles you can get over the course within the time frame, and how much time was spent down refueling. It would give consumers and idea of how they genuinely compare, as opposed to last week you took the Model X to Reno, but this week you're taking the Volt to LA, and next week the whatever to Santa Fe.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

Oh... kay. Is this for people that flip out when there is a small puddle of WATER underneath their cars? You have a button for that? Could you imagine paying to get something so silly repaired?

I wouldn't want a puddle of water on my pristine garage floor. So purging the water outside on the driveway before pulling into the garage is what I'd do.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This is pretty funny. I can picture the car's dashboard lighting up and saying: "Uh...excuse me..could we stop somewhere before we get to the garage?"
    "Are we there yet? My bladder is full...." - The Mirai is apparently a small child.
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    I think it's more of a "smug" release button. Or maybe, if a tree is dying of thirst, and your tears aren't enough while hugging the tree, you could use your car to literally save the tree.
    New product-----Mirai Diapers!

Hey, I thought of it FIRST!

"Hydro-Pants"?

• desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    This is such a wasted opportunity. Toyota could be touting this as a drought fighting car and should have an option so that the water could be captured (i.e. not dumped underneath it) and used for whatever reclamation purposes the owner can think of. By driving this Toyota you are helping the environment! But no, just dump it wherever...
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

This is such a wasted opportunity. Toyota could be touting this as a drought fighting car and should have an option so that the water could be captured (i.e. not dumped underneath it) and used for whatever reclamation purposes the owner can think of. By driving this Toyota you are helping the environment! But no, just dump it wherever...

Normal cars already generate water via A/C condensation. Nobody seems to have an issue with that water being "wasted."
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    *marks calendar* - So, 14 June 2016 is officially when internet commenters ran out of other things to complain about.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    schen72 said:

Normal cars already generate water via A/C condensation. Nobody seems to have an issue with that water being "wasted."
    I think that is quite a bit less than caused by the process of creating energy that the Mirai uses. Plus it only does it with the AC running. Mirai does it all the time. Plus this is tongue in cheek.
  • abartottiabartotti Member Posts: 1

Go Go Gadget Mobile!

Okay....not REALLY about this particular post...but can Edmunds please do a head-to-head endurance run with the Tesla Model X, the Mirai, the Volt, and a "regular" car? I'd like to see, over a period of time that's realistic, of distance driven on a standard course, of how many miles you can get out of the vehicles, including recharge/refueling time, between all types. For example, while the Model X has the greatest range of the electric vehicles, it takes hours to recharge. Sort of like a 24 hours of Edmunds. Run them continuously and see how many miles you can get over the course within the time frame, and how much time was spent down refueling. It would give consumers and idea of how they genuinely compare, as opposed to last week you took the Model X to Reno, but this week you're taking the Volt to LA, and next week the whatever to Santa Fe.

That would be a great comparison. Start them all at the same time from the same point with the same route, stick to the speed limit and see who gets to the end point first.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    All cars make a huge amount of water by burning gas. Course, it's vapor.

But my A/C dumps a lot of water in the garage during the summer, puddle lasts for hours.
    abartotti said:

Go Go Gadget Mobile!

That would be a great comparison. Start them all at the same time from the same point with the same route, stick to the speed limit and see who gets to the end point first.
    It would almost certainly either the gas car or the Volt. The new Volt has a range of 420 miles, so unless the gas car had a better range than that, the Volt would win. Otherwise, vice-versa.
    @Mr_Shiftright , I agree that the Volt & a "regular" car would probably have an edge on over-all range between fills. They'd also have a advantage for refueling, at least compared to the Tesla, due to the amount of time needed to recharge an all-electric vehicle. But I think it would still show an interesting comparison between the emerging technologies and a "mainstream" vehicle. It would give people a chance, to see in a somewhat controlled situation, exactly how much of a change to their driving styles they'd make by going with a non-ICE vehicle, or a ICE vehicle that used a fuel other than gasoline. In fact, to make it interesting, it'd be kind of cool to throw a diesel sedan in the mix too. However, the only diesel sedans I can think of off the top of my head are VW Group and I don't see them popping out a diesel vehicle any time soon.