Found this in my front end after having new tires put on my car

jwall902jwall902 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2016 in General
Found this funny looking metal wire tucked in the inside of my front driver's side tire - wrapped around some [non-permissible content removed]. I had taken my car in for new tires and an alignment, and noticed a funny rattle afterwards.

Anybody know what this wire is? I want to know whether I should be upset with the tire shop for leaving something in my car, or if I should be upset because some road debris got caught up in my front end.

Thanks in advance for your help.


  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This looks like the wire hook they use to position the arms of the lift as they're getting ready to raise your car up.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I think you've nailed it!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2016
    Pretty careless! You should have them re-check the car to see if anything was damaged, like a CV boot or brake line! Get under the lift with them, and be sure if they find damage that they fix it for free, or ELSE.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,696

    This looks like the wire hook they use to position the arms of the lift as they're getting ready to raise your car up.

    Not to me, the object appears to be sitting on a sheet of printer paper. A hoist arm tool is over three feet long and usually close to 5/16" diameter. With doing an alignment and tire rotation I can't really envision why a tech would use some type of a temporary hangar like that. There are other services and repairs that they would, so before passing any judgment, I would need to know what else was done.

  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That piece looks pretty long and pretty stout. I'm stickin' to my story. Otherwise, the only other plausible explanation would be something kicked up on the street leaving the shop.
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    edited June 2016
    Too irregular to be any 'tool' . more likely some road debris picked up at the tire shop or on the road back . If that is a standard sized printer paper then this thing is smaller then a unraveled coat hanger.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well maybe he'll tell us how long it is and clear this up for us.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My guess is that it's a hanger for keeping calipers sorted out while doing a brake job.

    Maybe @jwall902 will come back and let us know if the tire shop does brakes too. :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh that's a possibility. Didn't think of that, although most shops use a bungee.
Sign In or Register to comment.