Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Ownership of a vehicle is not a requirement to discuss it or have an opinion of it. You can debate the Frontier and Tacoma all you wish, but personal attacks will not be tolerated.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I believe the 4 star frontal rating was for the double cab. The King only received a 3 star rating unfortunately. The Frontiers tested trucks were substantially heavier though, something that should be taken into consideration.
    The Fronty is a heavy brute with the fully boxed frame - an advantage or a disadvantage?
    The offset test evened things out though with the two trucks scoring GOOD.
    I like the fact that these two scored well on the rollover ratings.
  • sugarman1sugarman1 Member Posts: 92
    Toyota truck balljoints are not lubeable there are no grease fittings they are sealed you should know this you own a 2005. The reason the lower balljoints were recalled was because of a machining error at manufactoring,they recalled all affected vehicles payed up for replacements and loaner cars but most important of all they fessed up to the error I bet alot of others would not have. If you found out that they didnt change the suspension would you sell your truck and buy a Fronty?
    Your right ownership of a vehicle is not a requirement,but just because you test drove a vehicle and dont own that particular vehicle and make certain and unsubstantuated comments as to the performance and specs does not hold alot of weight to true truck owners who have purchased and owned these vehicles and can truthfully comment on thier merits but okay.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    Sugarman1,

I disagree with you about not being able to make a qualified statement about the way a vehicle drives/handles if you do not own it.

The magazines all have employees who test the
    vehicles we read about. All of these employees
    are much better qualified to give their driving
    impressions of the Frontier than I am.

They may not own a Frontier, but they are trained to be able to give driving impressions of the various vehicles. I am just an average driver who does not push my truck very hard. I
    own a Frontier, but I would not be able to give a good driving report to those of you that
    are performance drivers.

OkieScot
    I believe that drivers that do not own a particular vehicle, such as myself, or for that matter, a professional reviewer, can be more objective and give a more realistic critique of that vehicle because we don't have a vested interest in it.
    I, like many others, are not loyal to a brand and realize that all vehicles have their merits, their pluses and minuses, good and bad.
    And my "Top Pick" will most probably not be yours.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Your right ownership of a vehicle is not a requirement,but just because you test drove a vehicle and dont own that particular vehicle and make certain and unsubstantuated comments as to the performance and specs does not hold alot of weight to true truck owners who have purchased and owned these vehicles and can truthfully comment on thier merits but okay. :surprise:

You do not own a 05 or newer Frontier or Tacy do you?
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    Toyota truck balljoints are not lubable there are no grease fittings they are sealed you should know this you own a 2005. The reason the lower balljoints were recalled was because of a machining error at manufacturing,they recalled all affected vehicles payed up for replacements and loaner cars but most important of all they fessed up to the error I bet alot of others would not have. If you found out that they didn't change the suspension would you sell your truck and buy a Fronty?

Um, let me see. 4 have failed out of hundreds of thousands. No, I would keep the Taco. I had the Tundra that was affected buy the recall. I didn't even take it in. The "manufacturing error" was accidently scratching the ball joints while assembling them. Toyota's idea of replacing all affected parts was to replace any that were manufactured in a certain period, affected or not. They knew that there may not be another bad joint in the fleet, but customer piece of mind beat out reality of the issue. Even if a bad joint was installed, it would just cause slow premature wear that would have easily been caught prior to failing completely had the owner taken their vehicle in for regular inspections and alignments. That is what I mean by maintenance. I don't like that Tacos have sealed joints, but I know that I have NEVER replaced a Toyota ball joint or tie rod other than by abuse compared to daily domestic replacements.
  • critter1critter1 Member Posts: 104
    Well believe what you want,but the Taco cut off me going on to an on ramp, cutting someone off isn't considered courteous driving where I live. And never the less I did smoke the Tacoma I doubt it was a 4 sounded like 6. The Nissan VQ series engine won an award for one of the top 10 engines in the world. Will post award name when I remmeber or find it again. This reminds of of my early teens when the Chevy/Ford rivalry was in vogue.

Critter Fish'in the Surf :)
    Just a thought,but Nissan selling cheaper moving trucks, the more they sell and put on the road the more exposure they get. IF! the Fronty turns out to be as good or better then Tacoma,then word will get to consummers. Why pay thousands more for Taco if Fronty just as good. But on the 05-06 Tacoma/Frontier jury is still out. I would guess 2010 would give some indication of results 5 years 50 to 100K miles. Till then it's all subjective. :)

Critter Fish'in the Surf
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    If you Nissan guys' nickname for the Frontier is Fronty -- what do you call the Titan? ;)
    Sugarbaby!! How do you account for all the old Nissan Hardbodies still on the road. I think 1986 thru 1998 are old series. Theres a ton of them with god knows how many miles, same -same for old Toys too! I'd say for durability its 6 of 1 & half dozen of another. In other words pick your poison. I can say I was kinda partial to 01 thru 04 Tacoma KC's. that had 2.7 22r series 4 banger is a real Super! Tough Engine. In fact If Toy had made KC 4x4 auto with 2.7 engine,well who knows. But you can't get it last time I checked KC 4x4 auto 4banger isn't made by Toy! They are probably missing some sales because of it! I'm stuck with old Nissan VQ series engine,which Ain't half bad, I think. Will post on new Fronty after 1st oil change, got 1100 miles at present. See ya!

In Surf Fish'in w/ :D Critter
    So you suggest that someone who owns a AWD Car or a Minivan or both has more validation to comment on a vehicle they never owned but test drove than someone who has owned three generations of these vehicles and clocked over 200,000miles on two of them. Right you are sir
    Yeah none of those Nissan dogs could hold a candle to a 22RE series Toyota.
    I have more experience with Toyotas than I do with Volvos and Porsches that for sure,as was stated from the host ownership is not a requirement. I have three generations of Toyota trucks and will have the fourth very soon. Good Day to you sir :D
    My top pick is a Suburu what do you got to say now. ;)
    You must have smoked something else because it wasn't a Tacoma. This is your brain on.....
    There you go a Tacoma owner of a new truck speaks the truth he would keep his Taco,and never replaced a ball joint or tie rod and no unverified comments about a squishy ride.
    How about all those pro reviewers that do not own the vehicles that they are test driving?
    Besides, this is a forum (for absolutely anyone at all) to discuss the NEW GENERATION FRONTIER OR TACOMA.
    Do you own a new generation Frontier or Tacoma? I am quite sure most of us do not own one or the other, never mind both.
    Get with the program.
    Floaty, not squishy. It is quite a common characteristic.
    I have more experience with Toyotas than I do with Volvos and Porsches that for sure,as was stated from the host ownership is not a requirement. :confuse: :confuse:

What is the connection between Volvo's and Porsche's to Frontiers and Tacoma's?
    The Tighty?
    SUBARU.
    Sugar this is for info exchange and discourse,not some Sports smack board. You really do to much in your face posts. Just because a Taco got bested don't mean you gotta get all bent. What you gonna do if Dodge puts a Hemi in the Dakota we'll all be sucking wind in that HP race, and don't say they won't,never say never. In fact a Dakota RT /w Hemi would be awesome! I like the Dakota alot BUT! they have way to many quality issues to buy one. The Tacoma/Frontier size wise remind me a great deal of pickup from late 50's eary 60's, sometime before 70 they started growing larger and have just kept on going. For my self the new midsizes work real well the mini were to and the bigs I really can't justify. Middies work well for my use.
    All and all this is a cool board for P/U truck nuts like us!
    Fish'in Critter :D
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "What you gonna do if Dodge puts a Hemi in the Dakota we'll all be sucking wind in that HP race, and don't say they won't,never say never."

Come to think of it, I'm very surprised that there isn't a Dakota R/T.

It would fit, the Durango can have a Hemi. I still wouldn't buy a Dakota, but it certainly would haul the bacon!
    The Mother! :) would smoke the competion HP wise no doubt. I had a 68 Hemi Roadrunner years ago. Wrecked it in 1970 :cry: What a beast it was. I think HP Wars are doomed like late 60's Fuel $$$ will kill it. But it's still fun even for an old Critter!
    Pure unsubstantuated malarky. It is quite common characteristic. Cheers!
    Of course.
    Nissan VQ series engines 10 best 12 years.VQ Wards 10 best
    Nissan Fronter = 4.0L VQ series engine.

Toyota Tacoma = not a 10 best engine.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Knock off the personal shots, or I'll knock off the whole discussion. Got it?

kcram - Pickups Host
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    That would be the 3.5 VQ,not the 4.0.When are you going to take the Fronty plunge moparbad?
    That would be the 3.5 VQ,not the 4.0

Frontier = Powered by VQ

A VQ is a VQ is a VQ!

Frontier = Winner 2005 Tough Truck Shootout

Tacoma = Loser 2005 Tough Truck Shootout

Why own a Tacoma Loser?

Good news is that they are both great trucks.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    Wow! Thought I had heard all the complaints from non-owners. Squishy is one I never heard. Must be a major problem. Didn't even see it at the recall site, although I did see one about the ride being too hard. Figures.
    Just think Woody IF! Dakota had quality anywhere close to Toy/Nissan how it would be? Hemi Dakota is awesome concept! :)
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Just think Woody IF! Dakota had quality anywhere close to Toy/Nissan how it would be? "

It would be great!

However, all of my Jeeps, including my current '99 TJ, tell me that it would also be highly unlikely. :cry:
  • midnightsunmidnightsun Member Posts: 92
    Well, I've owned two Toyota trucks and one Nissan. Does that make me a Toyota fan?

I liked those two Toyota trucks very much, enough that I was biased towards the new Tacoma when looking for a new truck. The new Tacoma simply did not measure up to my expectations for a truck, and the new Frontier did. Price was not the determining factor; performance was.

There's no point in relying on past laurels: things can change. That's why I test-drove both, and I'd be open to any make in the future.
    How would you possibly know?You drive relics from the 90's!Perhaps you should buy a Fronty,live the now,drive a winner.Better yet go to Broke Back Mt. and roundup a Ridgeline,Motor Trends truck of the year,now that's a winner.
    How would you possibly know?You drive relics from the 90's!

Is this directed at me?
    How can you possibly know what I'm driving? :surprise:
    Did you not see the warnings to not make personal attacks!!

Were comparing the Frontier and Tacoma and yes I am discussing based on ownership.

I do NOT own the vehicles in my personal profile FYI, they are listed as decoys due to past personal attacks!
    I looked at your profile and my post hardly constitutes a personal attack.If you've made a recent purchase perhaps you should update your profile mopy.If you bought your Fronty,hope you opted for the extended warranty,you'll need it.Good luck.
    Better yet go to Broke Back Mt.

What is the inference that you intended with the above? :(

It certainly is NOT relevant to the Tacoma/Frontier discussion.
    In response to you're,"why own a Tacoma loser?" post.Let's say you need a 4-door midsize pick-up that you can use the box for hauling things.What do you do?I know!Buy a CC Fronty with its 2 ft box,and load up that sweet roof rack,buy a 6 ft. trailer and you're set.NOT! Buy the Tacoma D/C Longbed 4X4.Hold off on the sweet roof rack.Now that's a winner,a crew cab truck with a 6 ft. box.
    I was referring to the photo posted several days ago.I meant nothing by it.Simply that because a magazine says a particular vehicle is a winner, it is not necessarily true.
    Tacoma is the superior vehicle #1 Much better ride qaulity #2 Interior design and comfort #3 Reputation. Why Nissan a stinker #1 Weak driveshaft #2 Bad spray on bedliner #3 Gas mileage 11-13mpg's. Resale and reliability handsdown Toyota,overall driveability and livability is better Toyota. Buy a Nissan and youll sell after two years and get a Tacoma like you should have done originally. Cheers!
    Cargo bed Frontier CC
    Length 59.5
    Width 61.4
    Depth 18.0

Cargo bed Tacoma CC short bed
    Bed length 60.3
    Bed height 18.0
    Bed width (in., total/between wheelwells) 56.7/41.5

The bed on the Frontier CC is LARGER than the bed on the Tacoma CC short bed.

If you need a 6 ft bed and a CC, the Tacoma has this option and the Frontier does not.

The 6ft bed on the CC is too long for my garage and the stuff in my garage so I would not choose the Tacoma CC long bed if I did buy the Tacoma.

Where did you see a Frontier with a 2 ft box? ;)
    per edmunds comparison testWhile equally as tough and capable off-road as the Tacomas, the Nissan Frontiers are simply more refined and more comfortable. Bottom line, had we been forced to endure another few days in the desert we would have wanted to be driving one of the Nissan Frontiers.

I concur with Edmunds. :) The Frontier is more comfortable.

Tacoma has better looking interior. Frontier has superior front seats. Seats are important.
    I have the Tacoma L/B.The 2 ft. box was an obvious exageration.Sorry.But for my needs it might as well be.I felt the same way about the Tacoma S/B.
    You say your dicussing based on ownership? What do you drive Yota or Nissan? This is personal your talking about the two big dogs on the light truck market,if your a true Truck fanatic this is VERY personal,if you cant take that kind of heat then get out the kitchen. So post what you drive even a minivan. :cry:
    Toyota Tacoma versus Nissan Frontier discussion or more like a war is VERY personal. This is a take no prisoners battle to the death and Tacoma will annihalate all competition and take on all comers,and crush the Fronty into small pieces of plastic with our Toyota Nation army ha ha ha :D we will destroy Nissan and then conquer the automotive world theres no stopping us are numbers are growing everyday so lookout.
    What do you drive?Fronty or Minivan?
    Cant you take a little light hearted humor lighten up!
This discussion has been closed.