Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    Yeah...and when they post their problems, you KNOW exactly what problems that these Mustangs have. The Stangnet forum is dedicated ONLY to Mustangs and its topics go into DEEP DETAIL about all the problems that the various year Mustangs have.
    I suggest the Stangnet forum to everyone in here who wants to find out more about all the problems that their particular year Mustang has.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Dude, Stangnet is not "THE" official Mustang site. I could name off 10 Mustang forums that I'm registered to, and they're all dedicated to Mustangs and break it down my model. Go to Google and you can find more Mustang dedicated forums to join than you thought possible.
    Go to www.stangnet.com and look in the forums under "2005+ Mustangs" under "Transmissions" and you will see how bad the French transmissions are.
    Yes, there are other Mustang websites too. Corral.net & 3.8mustang.com are other good Mustang websites.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I think the transmission was used for years on the Explorers, being 5 speed automatics. reliability and durability I think is below average , place of manufacture could be in a variety of different factories probably. Here is my take, just relax and enjoy the car, it is normal to have an American Iron's tranny rebuilt, due to parts availability and moderate cost. However a tranny job on imports are catastrophic in cost and downtime.
  • depbulldepbull Member Posts: 3
    MY GIRLFRIEND HAS A 05 MUSTING WITH 15000 MILES ON IT, IT IS A PIECE OF JUNK! GAS TANK PROBLEMS......SHIFTS WEIRD.ETC THE DEALERSHIP WE KEEP TAKING IT TO TELLS US THEY HAVE TO GET IT APPROVED BY FORD TO FIX THE PROBLEM, AND FORD WON'T APPROVE IT. I HATE FORD, CHEVY , THE LEAVE THEIR CUSTOMERS HANGING EVERY TIME. I GOT HER TALKED INTO A TOYOTA, OR NISSAN, WE ARE DONE WITH FORD, AND CHEVY
  • cobragtcobragt Member Posts: 95
    Tank problem...easily fixed. Shifts weird...what does that mean? And you also said...ETC...well that is that? Elaborate on your other problems.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    The transmission is the same as the automatic in the Lincoln LS. I was a bit concerned in seeing bad looking data in Consumer Reports for year 2006. Then I did some checking at MSN Auto, and no such problems with the tranny. Looked at JD Powers and LS looks fine. I thought what's up here. Went back to 2005 Consumer Reports and the LS Lincoln, tranny and all is just fine - better than average. Then I looked it up in the 2003 magazine and it is fine. I am finally convinced something is wacky with Consumer Reports data. It makes no sense that the car is great, great and then not so good.

I would say I am no longer too concerned the transmissions. And the suspension issue seems to be addressed as a known issue.

I did go to Stang Net, BTW and found a couple of people talking about problems with the tranny, but no more than any other site on cars -- only a few posts, actually.

Ford should have the kinks out of the Stang by next model year. Or sooner. It is possible for ANY car to be a lemon, so it is not unusual to hear reports of people with multiple problems on any car. I would be angry too to have a car fall apart. Is it happening to most people though? Cross referencing with MSN Auto, JD Powers, and Consumer Reports, as well as, what people are saying here and elsewhere, I would say it is at least average, if not better than average for the New Stang as a first year model.

For being a new car, as in first two years, the reliability is pretty close to the 2004, which was a model with years and years and .... well it was an old chassis to build on. There are a couple things, like the tank problem and suspension to work out and they will. I think the transmission problems, if any, are not pandemic.

Some of the strange conflicts in data in the last issue of Consumer Reports, still has me scratching my head. A few cars seem to have turned from great to bad over night, and that simply is not possible. I wonder if the last issue has some issues :confuse:
    -Loren
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Consumer Reports' idea of a "fun" car is the Subaru Impreza. Those guys are nerds, blind to style and performance, only aware of function and cost. The publication is mainly useful not for their tests of new cars, but for the consumer evaluations of used cars, good if you're looking for basic reliable transportation, little else.

I haven't found their reviews of other products (matresses, stereos, computers, tv's, etc.) to be useful or accurate.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    I agree. Consumer Reports has to be one of the biggest scams going. I often question the qualifications of the people doing the reviews at that magazine. One time a writer was criticizing the "ease of shifting of the 5 speed stick" and the car he was testing was an automatic.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    They did rate the new Mustang GT Good, that is like four gold stars for an American Car!!!!
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Yeah the 2006 C.R. magazine had the Mustang rated pretty good, it was recommended. Ratings were much better then VW, Saab, most chevy/gmc/pontiac/BMW/Mercades and all the other cars ford makes.

Just a little side note. The report also listed models with the most reported problems over the past 5 - 10 years and believe it or not the number one was an Infinity, FX45.

D
    They sort of recommended the Mustang. They recommended the GT, but not the V6. They did not elaborate on why they do not recommend the V6. The CR reviews are a bit quirky, so I use to use the magazine mostly for the back pages where they have the data of the owners survey. But now I see some very-very strange quirks in the rating of the LS Lincoln. I was trying to get a handle on reliability of automatic vs, the stick in the New Stang. Since the tranny was used before in the LS car, I thought it would be something to research. Well - well, the data looks terrible in the current book, much unlike two other CR magazines data shows for 2003 and 2005. This is just weird. Now, all the sudden, the same good tranny is a bad one. I think not.

If you are using CR for info. on car reliability, do cross reference it with MSN Auto ( reliability tab ), JD Power, and what owners are saying at Edmund's and MSN Auto. There is also that Consumer Guide for autos on the Net, which has the recalls and other problems listed on cars. Not saying that Consumer Reports is not something to use, but ONLY when you compare the data to check its data to others.

The Mustang GT owner I know still loves the car. I do wish Ford would have a 4 yr. warranty, or greater on their cars. Inventory is building, so I bet the prices will keep going down and down.
    -Loren
    I would buy the new GT, but not the new V6. Ford needs to iron out the problems with the V6.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    They need to get the 3.5 Litre in the stang! That is the future, however for me I only want the Real Deal,

2006 Vista Blue GT Stick, 2.6k miles (loving every single one)
    Such as what? Problems with the 6 are ???
    -Loren
    Problems with the front suspension, problems with the gas tank and with not being able to fill up the tank, problems with the transmission, shifting problems, problems with the electrical system and problems with the V6 stalling. :lemon: :sick:
    What is interesting to note is that the transmission has been used for years, if it is the automatic we are talking about, without major problems in the LS. The gas tank problem should be in both V6 and V8. I assume most of the electrical is the same in both models of Stangs. I don't get it???

The V6 is stalling? I wonder why, it is another tried and true engine dating back years. I guess it is possible that a modification to that engine before placement into the Mustang was enough to create a problem, but it seems less than likely.

Any car can have a problem I guess. How often the occurance is what to watch out for. So far, best I can tell the car is around average. A Camry may be more reliable, while at the same time be more of bore. The older Celica was the sporty + reliable car, and it is no more. The pre-2000 was bullet proof. I think most people are happy enough with the Mustang, so weighing in the fun factor, they will take on the risk of possible problems here and there. So far, from what I have seen, the problems are too numerous. When you have a problem though, I do understand it is one major headache -- any one out hundred cars can be that way. It happens - it's a bummer.
    -Loren
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    dude,

the problems you are referring to are mostly GT issues not the V6.

go read the real mustang forum boards and you will read all about these issues.

Most are 2005 problems. The gas tank issue did cross all models.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    dude,
    these (and more) are issues with the V-6 as well. Read the reviews, more problems with the V-6.
    what reviews are those. I own a V6 2006 Im giving real info.

read forums.bradbarnett.net or mustangforums.com if you want more real world information. not a test drive review. stangnet does not even close close to the activity as these other 2 forums.

there are no new problems being reported

do you even have a 2006 s197 mustang or are you just giving hearsay advice. 2006 has not had the same amount of issues as 2005. As is to be expected from a 1st year model vs 2nd yr model.
  • 40yearswaiting40yearswaiting Member Posts: 17
    Ok. There should be a simple solution to this one. I did my best to clean the inside rear window of my '06 Mustang and lo and behold there is still a film that shows when the sun hits the window. The window is at such an angle that even with my small hands I have can't quite get it clean. Anyone have a suggestion?
    A soft, dry, cotton towel of appropriate size and some patience. It takes a while for the chemicals in the materials inside the cabin to stop evaporating and leaving the residue on your windows; especially if you leave your windows shut all the time.

Just stick with it and you'll eventually notice that the film doesn't form as often anymore.
    i just did mine for the first time last week.

it is really hard to get back there.

like another poster said have some patience or find a youngster to go back there and do it.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    You just need to use a 100% cotton cloth and wipe the left over residue of the cleaner off the real window. Really the best way for windows, computer/plasma screens and so on.

D
  • bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    I've had good results with just using windex and crumpled up newspaper. Don't know why it works, but it does.
  • wallyswallys Member Posts: 1
    It seems to me that there are alot of minor complaints with this car. I've had one for over a year now and it has been a wonderful car. I've own over 50 cars since I was 16. But, none of them got people to stop and stare like this one. It may very well be the best convertible for the money. This isn't the type of car you drive every day, and the cars many of you are comparing it too are. It's a muscle car. It is supposed to be loud and sum what unrefined. All I can say, If you don't like it SELL IT! I'm keeping mine. Go drive that boring toyota.
  • riverronriverron Member Posts: 26
    YEA WALLYS, WHAT YOU SAID..... I love mine also
  • topoffgttopoffgt Member Posts: 14
    This may be old news for many of you 05-06 Mustang owners....

I just figured out what the magnetic strap on the side of the seats is for. The metal end looks like a snap, but it's actually a magnet. It's there to hold the seatbelt so the buckle is easier to access over your shoulder. If you put the seatbelt in this strap, it makes the buckle hang about six inches lower and easier to grab.

I have an 06 GT convertible, but I assume this strap is on the coupes also.

I hope this helps out some of you that have had problems reaching to buckle up!
    No, it's not in the coupe.
    Yes it is.
    Whadayaknow? You're right! Have had the car since August and never even noticed. Seems, tho, if you put the belt in the strap, it interferes with getting into the back seat, thus is mainly for when no rides in back. :shades:
  • 40yearswaiting40yearswaiting Member Posts: 17
    Wow! Thanks for this tidbit. I felt like a contortionist trying to reach me belt--I'm short and move my seat all the way up.
  • topoffgttopoffgt Member Posts: 14
    Glad I could help! The salesman at the dealership had no clue what the strap was for. I'm 6'4" and it still helps me reach the seatbelt easier.
  • marksermarkser Member Posts: 16
    Hey all....I have had my 06 Vista Blue 5sp GT for a bit over 2 months and 3500 awesome miles! I have had a couple of occasions where the computer resets on it own and shows that I am out of gas when I know that I have 50 to 100 miles to go on the tank of gas. Typically, what will happen is the tank will be somewhere between half and 1/3 tank. If I accelerate hard from a stop, especially turning out of my neighborhood, the trip computer chimes and shows that I have 0 miles left to empty and the Gas guage reads all the way down to the red. This is all when I know for a fact that just a minute prior, it had said that I had maybe a half a tank of gas. Has anyone else had this happen?
  • cobragtcobragt Member Posts: 95
    That is not a big issue. There is a TSB out for that. Its just one of your fuel sensors going screwy. Take it to dealer, they will replace it.
  • stpstarnstpstarn Member Posts: 9
    Thank you, I didn't know that either and I have had mine for over a year. I thought it was mainly for looks.
    Cathy :blush::)
  • palehorse06palehorse06 Member Posts: 2
    I recently noticed that when turning the key before startup all instrument panel lights come on except for the O/D light. According to the manual, if the O/D light does not come on or blinks before startup, have the vehicle serviced immediately. So I did. I took the Mustang to the dealership from which I purchased, and the service tech said they never encountered this problem before and that it must be a misprint. Allegedly one of the mechanics went and checked one of the new Mustangs on the lot and said the O/D light didn't come on before startup on that car either. Problem is, since leaving the dealership I've encountered something very strange. On two different occasions yesterday -- once while driving to work and once while coming home -- my Mustang took itself out of overdrive. I just happened to look at the dashboard and noticed the O/D light was on, but I didn't press the button. Before I call the service center back, I would like to gain some ammunition. Are there any other Mustang V6 owners whose O/D light does NOT come on after turning the key before startup? And has anyone else ever encountered their vehicle taking itself out of overdrive? Your input is appreciated!
  • zodacowboyzodacowboy Member Posts: 8
    i just bought an 05 coupe V6. I'm enjoying a whole lote. i'm worried about maintenance b/c i'm not too familiar with cars. i'm bought with 15,000+ miles on it and i'm wondering when i should worry about tune ups and oil changes. I have the coupe do i need to hand wash it or i can take it through car wash? :shades:
  • zodacowboyzodacowboy Member Posts: 8
    I noticed my O/D going off also, but don't know what is wrong. along with this the passenger airbag light turns on randomly. and my seatbelt alarm goes off even when my seatbelt is buckled. what are some solutions?
    The car comes with a service manual which details what should be done when. If you don't know what the previous owner did for servicing, then I would assume the worst, that no service was done, and would take it in and have everything done. At 15k, that can't be very much. If the car didn't come with the usual manuals, I'm sure you can order them from a dealer.

The car crazy guys around here would tell you never to take it to a car wash, but I do. Just make sure it's brushless. :shades:
  • thunderbirdthunderbird Member Posts: 26
    I know there has been much said about the fueling problems and I had that when I bought my 2005 V6 Mustang. After the redesigned tank was installed, the problems vanished until now, a year later. Now I can only fill up at certain stations with I suppose certain types of nozzels. The dealer told me that with the new style tank replaced, there is nothing they can do and Ford is saying about the same. Anybody having this repeat problem and have an answer?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "After the redesigned tank was installed, the problems vanished until now, a year later."

Well, to answer that question, one would have to determine what is in the gas tank (and refueling system) which could CHANGE over time?

Is it possible that something is happening with the tank venting system (or vapor recovery system) which is causing the pump nozzle to think the tank is full when it isn't?
  • ryetallicaryetallica Member Posts: 3
    I noticed that with my '05 V6 that the O/D off light never comes on when I start the car. Doesn't even flash or blink. My booklet says the same thing, that if a light doesn't come on, have your vehicle serviced right away. I asked my dealer and they said thats not a problem at all.

I also noticed a few times that while driving, the O/D off light would come on. I couldn't figure out why. Finally it hit me when I researched where the botton is located. I was accidentally hitting the button when putting the car in park or sometimes, in drive.

Hope this helps!
    Ryan
  • gringomexgringomex Member Posts: 6
    I just went out and checked my o6 V6. The o/d light does not come on before the engine is started. If fact, it never comes on unless I hit the o/d off botton on the shift lever.
  • justme_jewelsjustme_jewels Member Posts: 2
    It makes me so mad... I think it is the heat. When it is really hot, I can't put gas in my car. The problems I have had are: 1.shaker 500 replaced and is once again spitting discs out
    2. gas tank replaced once, hoses replaced, had it 5 times for the problem
    3. air bag started coming out
    4. trim around door coming off (getting fixed Friday)
    5. trunk piece coming down
    6.brake problem fixed
    7.gas cap broke

I think that is it. It just makes me so mad. I love my stang, but gosh, I am so tired of the problems. The fuel problem makes me the maddest though. Summer is coming and I am scared to take it on a road trip.

I am sending the paper work into the conflict resolution and see what can happen. I just think they should replace it another mustang. Has anyone had any luck with that? :lemon:
    The problems that you are having are all the reasons why I wouldn't touch a 05 or a 06 Mustang with a 10 foot pole.
    I'm very glad that I own the 01 & 02 older body style. The 05 & 06 Mustangs are very problematic with issues that Ford cannot get right.
    Does anybody have the TSB number for that rattling bracket behind the passenger airbag? I might be taking it in again this weekend and I'm tired of hearing, "We couldn't hear anything."
  • eskyfineskyfin Member Posts: 3
    i have been reading all ur problems and would just like to let u hear about mine. i got my 05 stang in jan.05 and it has been down hill since. first they replaced the trans. and the new one isn't much better and then i heard a howl from the rear end and after much fooling around they replaced the ring and pinion gears. that caused a shudder when slowing down and they can't, or won't fix that problem. they had to replace the gas tank, the right door window 4 times before they found one with out a flaw in it.the heater is having the same problem as some of u have stated. the field service engineer says that it is working the way it was designed. he has really become a spin doctor for ford on all the problems with the mustangs. i went through arbitration and that was a joke. ford is paying the BBB to handle the arbitration and also pays the arbitrator. so did not get anything but an offer of an extended warr. which didn't make sense because they will not fix the problems with the car. so now i have had to hire a lawyer and am going to court to fight ford using the lemon law. my lawyer told me today that ford has hired the biggest law firm in oregon to fight me. i almost forgot i had to have the radio replaced a couple of months ago and the dealer ship some how scratched my dash and the paint on the rocker panel. today they now say that u cant just replace that one part, u have to replace the whole dash. so they are going to hire a company that does air brushing and plastic repair. ford knows all about these problems and others but are trying to stall on finding a fix. and consumer reports has said that the 05 and 06 mustangs with a v6 are the worst cars for reliability for those two years. i still love the looks of my mustang but the love affair is over and this is the last ford i will ever buy. good luck to you all and i hope u dont have anymore problems. i guess if i lose in court i will try to find a lawyer who will try for a class action suit.
    sorry to hear about all your problems.

I have an 06 V6 and havent had any problems.

It's a shame first year models have so many growing pains.

Have you considered asking them to swap you for an 06. Maybe you should you just sell and take the loss, it has to be cheaper than a lawyer.
This discussion has been closed.