Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Advice on 2013 Jetta TDI Lease End Options

dansemachinedansemachine Member Posts: 1
edited June 2016 in Volkswagen
I am in the last 90 days of my 2013 Jetta TDI lease and considering my options. Two factors are clouding up the issue a bit for me-- the fact that I am almost 30,000 miles over my limit, and the emissions scandal.

I figured that trading in at about this time would be a good option, hoping maybe they would give me some mileage forgiveness or something in order to get me in another car. Or that they would roll what I owe for extra miles into the payments of my next car, although being that 30,000 miles x $0.30 a mile = $9,000, it's not really an ideal option...especially considering that's basically the current trade in value for the car itself! Probably would be better to just buy the darn thing. All in all I wasn't feeling great about the whole situation, but I was set to go to the dealership tomorrow morning to discuss my options.

Then I read this article that outlines VWs early plans for compensating diesel owners and leaseholders: http://jalopnik.com/vw-finally-has-a-plan-to-fix-dieselgate-heres-the-whol-1772346691 From the looks of it, VW is going to let leaseholders out of their leases, AND offer compensation. So, am I actually in a GOOD position at this point? Would trading in my car without a REALLY good deal be a bad move on my part? Or will me being over miles still factor in somehow?

Appreciate any insight as I am pretty much a hopeless dummy on a car lot.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Not sure how you can get past the mileage. Even if a dealer took your car in trade, you would be way upside down, due to the high mileage.

Are you sure the penalty is $0.30 per mile? That seems awfully high. I would expect something between $0.10- $0.20 per mile.

Before I did anything, I'd call VCI and ask them what's up with compensation. That article you linked is two months old. Maybe, things have progressed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator