Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a lease expiring and got offered the chance to extend it for a month or more? A journalist from a national media outlet would like to chat; please reach out to [email protected] by 4/13 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Acura's Scheduled Maintenance Program for Leases

javigirjavigir Posts: 6
edited June 2016 in Acura
I just got a lease for a 2016 MDX Tech package, 12 k/36 mo. The financial guy recommended and said I insisted that I should sign up for their maintenance program. The price was $481 for the life of the lease and said the maintenance was about $800 (total for the 3 years) if I were to pay each service individually. I signed up but not sure anymore.

My questions are:
1) Is it worth paying $481 up front for these basic maintenance options? lube/oil/filter changes, tires rotations...
2) For maintenance, is it required to take it to Acura or can I take it to a place like sears auto, tires plus, etc???

Thanks a lot!
Tagged:

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not but I will say that taking a new car that is under warranty to a chain store for maintenance would be a foolish thing to do for a number of reasons. No, you can't have them do those services if you've bought the maintenance program. I'm thinking it's probably a good value since they now know you'll maintain the car according to factory specs instead of cutting corners, skipping oil changes and taking it to a Quickie Lube since it's "only" a leased car that you will more than likely just walk away from at lease end.
  • javigirjavigir Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply. Does any one know if this is a reasonable amount? It would be for every 6k miles/6mo. Thanks.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited June 2016
    The Edmunds Car Maintenance Guide says four services (every 7,500 miles) would cost $515.16. That would get you through 30,000 miles and you'd be turning the car in before the next service is due at 37,500 miles. I don't know why the dealer is saying every 6,000 miles unless the owner's manual is different from our guide for some reason.

My sister was talked into one of these a few month back on her Subaru and it sort of penciled out on paper. First mailing she got from the dealer? A coupon for half off her first service. :D

The other trick is that our guide estimates what maintenance should cost - dealers have a funny way of padding these services (thus your $800 estimate).

Sounds like an okay deal from here, just watch for upselling when you take it in for services.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 148,817
    You can take your car anywhere for service, but I have to say.. that's a very reasonable price.
    It's also nice to have that regular visit to the dealer, so you can take care of any warranty work, etc.

As @stever mentions, just say no to anything extra.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator