Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    lessbslessbs Member Posts: 13
    After about 300 miles in the last several days, my opinion of the V6 RAV4 is really positive. The V6 flies-pushed it some and boy does it respond. The engine and tranny are smooth and quiet-all you really hear is road noise. Once you get used to it's size (both positive and negative), it's hard not to fall in love with it.
  • Options
    jeffworkjeffwork Member Posts: 20
    The Toyota site is even more customized/different than I thought. Try putting 34453 zip code in the Price and Build link. You get a listing of the actual number of RAV4's available by model in that area. Click on the model you are interested and you get a list of the actual RAV4's available. Click on one you get a MSRP and a dealer price. I don't get anything like that from my zip code. The code above is Florida (where my brother lives). I wish I had that happening with my zip code.
  • Options
    bosi78bosi78 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Everyone I am curious What type of accessories could I equip a RAV4 V6 Limited 4x4 with. (Tube steps etc.)Thanks the website(www.toyota.com) dosn't list them all. I don't think so anyway. Also I was wondering with such a small fuel tank is the driving range really short? I drive from NY to TN once a year in a volvo car with a 18.5 fuel tank. Please, Please, Please respond asap!!!! :cry: :confuse:
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Yes that is very interesting. If you drill up and down the info it says that region has 700+ RAV4s. I did not look at all models but several v6 sports there. While most have some kind of $adder option such as protection package it seems that the prices are pretty good compared to NY. Most are selling at $1800 or more off MSRP if the numbers are valid. There are a few loaded ones selling for well over $2000 off MSRP.

Lots of options that do not show on Toyota site. And I noticed one car listed as BASE V6 has "leather surface seats". I had thought leather was only a Limited option. Some of the cars have 3rd row seats.

So I guess the Toyota RAV4 saga continues.
  • Options
    Where are you located?
  • Options
    So give us an update on MPG when you can.
  • Options
    After looking at that FL site more, it seems to show most v6 cars coming in last week of Feb.
  • Options
    No gas stations on the way?
  • Options
    joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    So give us an update on MPG when you can.
    I second that and on both engines.
    So far we haven't seen any decent mpg's yet.
    I know they need to break in 1st, but hoping people will be posting some decent numbers.
  • Options
    bosi78bosi78 Member Posts: 5
    How is the amount of light the headlights put out? And do the rear led lights have a visiblity that can be seen from pretty far back?
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    By entering the ZIP you are actually looking at the database and 'build' program only for that region. Each one of these is linked to the main Toyota website. Each region is more or less computer literate... LOL

And if you look at SET that's a 'nother whole world.... entirely different accessories, Toyoguard, etc. I live in SET but work in CAT so we see these difference often.

How often in the previous gen Camry did you see two=toned Camry's? All the time in SET.
  • Options
    Well the NE region or at least NY must not be literate because when I enter my zip I get zip....on details.
  • Options
    srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35
    If you enter a zip in the Ohio/Ky/Tn group, you will also not get much. They call their option groups something different, mix them up differently as to what goes into packages, and a lot of other oddities. I am glad my local credit union uses a dealer in the deep south, where they call CL CL.
  • Options
    pogs2006pogs2006 Member Posts: 26
    Hey Guyz,

I am wondering about getting the 2006 Rav4. It's the first year, and I thought that most people advise NOT to get the first version of a new redesigned model.

What do you guyz think?

pogs
  • Options
    annandaleannandale Member Posts: 6
    I have 1500 miles on my 2006 RAV4 - 4 cylinder. My commute is about 50% stop-and-go Washington DC beltway rush-hour traffic and 50% highway. I consistently get 21 mpg.
  • Options
    So the RAV4 will not be much different from my 2003 Audi A6 2.7T V6 which is 21.5 over long periods with maybe a little less stop and go as you describe. If I get the RAV v6 maybe 20mpg I guess. Alot depends on how one drives. A light foot helps except when you need to power or want it.
  • Options
    little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    Saw a RAV4 at a dealership. Noticed the rear arm rest slanted downward. The salesman said the cup holders were level although they "appeared" slanted. For those owning a RAV4 is this correct? Do the arm rests slant downward in your vehicle or is this a badly installed arm rest? Please note the salesman also said the 06 RAV4 is "14 inches longer than last year's model" even though Edmunds shows that the car added only 3 inches in lenght. Give me some feedback please. BTW checked out Fitzmall and noticed they charge a "doc fee" which they seem to say is "required by law" plus their "Internet price" is no lower than the sticker price at my local Missouri dealer. Guess East Coast dealers really try to put it to their customers.
  • Options
    kendfwkendfw Member Posts: 9
    I guess we need to go to Missori to purchase RAV4 if the sticker price no lower than those at Fitzmall.com. Perhaps, we could get a copy of your dealer invoice from you and drive out total. Dealer invoice price in Dallas includes holdbacks, advertising, financing, and delivery. Except delivery, those charges added up to $1,200. :mad:
  • Options
    leapinlizzleapinlizz Member Posts: 4
    I just filled up my '06 I4 Sport for the third time. I averaged 22.6 MPG on the first tank and 20.6 on the second. The second tank was probably 75% freeway driving. I got 277 miles on the odometer before the gas guage looked seriously empty and took 13.3 gallons. FYI
  • Options
    mantra1mantra1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for 2006 Toyota RAV4
    4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A) .Can you tell me difference between 4 dr SUV and 4 dr SUV 4 WD. I live in miami ,can someone tell me good dealer in miami to fortlauderdale area.Also what I should ask dealer before buying RAV 4.
  • Options
    wybuaawybuaa Member Posts: 12
    Hey Guys

I want to buy a RAV4 base model. but I don't like Camry. do they share same chassis? anybody can give me a response?

thanks
  • Options
    To be direct.. there are always some in every vehicle. But that being said the ones in Toyotas are nearly always small nits... sometimes annoying, but usually fixable in one visit.

I've gone through about 20 new car product launches and there really hasnt been anything 'major' in any vehicle.
  • Options
    Your reading something wrong someplace. There is no way that Fitzmall internet price is same as MSRP where you live since MSRP is the same everywhere.And yes the RAV4 is much bigger than 2005. Check your numbers.
  • Options
    No!.. They are directed to the same economic segment, $20-30K, but they are so different obviously that one shouldnt affect the other. drive it for yourself and see.
  • Options
    flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    I think thats old thinking. There NO basis on that assumption..
  • Options
    I checked my again last night on the way to Atlantic city on lever ground. At 65 mph it was at 2450 and at 70mph 2600 rpm.

same as Jim
  • Options
    hersheytx1hersheytx1 Member Posts: 13
    It is bigger. But the price point is almost identical with the 05 model. Toyota made it a point to keep the price point the same as the 05 model.
    For those in Dallas, Tx. you might want to try Metroplex Toyota. I am working with them now for an 06 Rav4. I have dealt with them before on other cars. They are very upfront with no hassle prices.
    Jeff Heiss
    Dallas, TX
  • Options
    Hey, if your interested in a trip computer with MPG etc, check this out. Also has lots of other diagnostic and gauge functions. You can get them new on EBAY for about $100. Plugs into the diagnostic connecter just under the dash on the left side of the RAV.

http://www.scangauge.com/
  • Options
    hit_the_roadhit_the_road Member Posts: 65
    Frank,
    Exactly the rpm's I had. They only trend higher when going
    up a hill. The 3300 @ 77mph was up a steep incline.
  • Options
    So the Car & Driver test said the V6 RAV4 was 35.2 MPH per 1000 RPM in 5th which means 70MPH should be about 2000 rpm with converter locked up.

So we need a V6 RAV4 owner out there to check that for us. There must be at least one V6 on a US hwy now.
  • Options
    A local dealer emailed me this today. Looks like they are asking MSRP.
    WE HAVE THE ALL NEW, 2006 TOYOTA RAV4 6 CYLINDER AVAILABLE!!!
    WHO WILL BE THE FIRST TO OWN IT???

INCOMING STRAIGHT FROM THE FACTORY!!!

COLOR = SILVER

2006 Toyota Rav4 Sport Model V6, Model #4443
    MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    3.5 Liter DOHC V6 w/Dual VVT-i Engine, 5 Speed ECT Automatic Transmission
    Elec On-Demand 4WD/4WD Man. Lock, Electronic Power Steering/4-Whl Ind Susp
    Sport Tuned Suspension, Fr&Rr Stabilizer Bars/4-Whl Disc Brakes
    Hill-Start Assist Ctl/Dwnhill Assist Ctl, 18" 5-Spke Alloy Whls w/P235/55R18 Tires
    & Full Size Spare Tire on 18" Alloy Whl
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System Includes: Vehicle Stability Ctrl w/Traction Ctrl
    Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD, Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Fr Airbags (SRS)
    3Pt Seat Belts in All Locations, 2nd Row CRS Lower & Top Tether Anchors
    Rear Door Child Safety Locks, Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    EXTERIOR
    UV Reduction Glass Wndshld/Rr Priv Glass, Clr-Kyd Bmprs,Rr Spoiler,Dr Handles,Pwr
    Heated O/S Mirrors,Spare Tire Cover, Fender Flares / Black Grille & Roof Rack
    Mlti-Rflctr Halogn Auto-Off Headlmps/Smk, Headlmp Bezels/LED Tail Lmps / Fog Lmps
    Frt Var & Rr Int Wipers / Mast Antenna
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Air Conditioner w/Clean Air Filtration, AM/FM CD w/6 Spks / Aux. Mini-Plug
    Man Tilt/Telescopic Adj. Steering Wheel, Cloth Int,Mlti-Adj Fr Chairs w/Dr Ht Adj
    2nd Rw 60/40 Splt,Reclne,Fld Flt w/Slide, Fwrd Cpblty w/Ctr Armrst, 2 Cup Holders
    Dual Glove Box/Digital Clock/Cruise Ctrl, Power Windows/Door Locks/Keyless Entry
    Optitron IP Gauges / Gated Shifter, 2 Fr/1 Cargo Auxiliary 12V Power Outlets
    Ctr Cnsl w/2-Illum Cup Hldrs, Cell Phone, Storage,Upper Storage Tray, & Cnsole Box
    Crg Area 2nd Rw Seat 1 Tch Fld Flt Lever, Sunvisor w/ Ext & Illum Vanity Mirror
    Illuminated Entry System/Silver Int Trim

FE-Federal Emissions
    DJ-AM/FM 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer w/ 6 Speakers, and MP3 / WMA Playback Capability
    RL-Daytime Running Lights
    SR-Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade
    TO-Towing Prep Package - V6 3,500lb. Towing Capacity - Includes Upgrade Radiator, Fan Coupling, Alternator, and Pre-Wiring
    C4-Carpeted Floor Mats

SELLING PRICE ON THIS GORGEOUS VEHICLE IS $27,214
    PLUS ONLY SALES TAX AND DMV FEES!!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    As people above suggested...

-juice
  • Options
    My Forester can carry 150lbs on the roof, I think with the original RAV4 is was only 75 lbs, so check before you load too much up there.

But it's a myth that you need a full-size truck, SUV, or van to haul plywood home. I've had 5 sheets up there and you couldn't feel it.

-juice
  • Options
    thanks Jim, thats a cool device. Ill be looking for one on ebay:)
  • Options
    Yes, a guy is selling them there now. From past sales it seems a bid of about $90-$100 is needed to get one. It varies. I emailed the manufaturer and it is compantivle with all late model Toyotas.

You can down load the instructions from the net at scangauge
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Juice - looks like the 2nd floor of your house is sitting on top of the plywood in that pic. That's quite a load. :)
  • Options
    Putting the U in Utility. :D

-juice
  • Options
    defrancedefrance Member Posts: 17
    Hopefully I am the only one that has had an accident so far, and hopefully no one else does, but... As to the earlier discussion about the affect of the rear tire in an accident... I was rear ended on Friday at a pretty good clip. The car is only 2 weeks old! Anyway, it did not damage the window, but the accident dented the bumper and pushed the tire into the rear door. It looks like that door is actually bent in now. I have to take it to the dealer and get it checked out, but how long do you think I'd have to wait for a replacement door on a new vehicle with limited quantities? Oh well. As for the MPG, I have the base 4x4 w/17" wheels and have been getting about 24mpg after 1500 miles. I had a tank where I got 26mpg most highway at about 73mph, and I just had a tank where I got 22.9mpg most highway but with about 2 hours of crappy trafficy city driving. I will update on the accident and mpg.
  • Options
    You have the 4 cyl or?
  • Options
    defrancedefrance Member Posts: 17
    4 cylinder 4x4
  • Options
    Bummer, sorry to hear that. The paint's not even dry yet! ;)

I imagine it might take a few weeks, so what I'd do is schedule the repair, but don't drop it off until they get all the parts in stock.

-juice
  • Options
    that stinks!!! As long as your okay.. Thre Rav can be fixed..
    Frank
  • Options
    joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Probably a good idea to wait.
    If you can wait till mid summer you may be able to save a few dollars too.

On the other hand Consumer reports shows that Toyota and Honda are pretty low in problems there 1st year and go down just a little their second year.
  • Options
    rhoymerhoyme Member Posts: 10
    I'd like to install XM radio on my '06 RAV-4. The dealer said they don't install XM on Toyota's and refered me to a local electronics store. Has anyone had XM installed on their vehicle? If so, exactly what model of XM radio do you recommend, and any pitfalls to look out for?
  • Options
    mtwebstermtwebster Member Posts: 7
    I've got about 1200 miles on my 4cyl 4x4 base, I've gotten right around 24mpg on every fill-up so far - roughly 65-70% highway, the rest city scooting around kids to school, etc..

This past weekend we had some pretty bad weather in northern Ohio - I was really impressed with the whole package of traction/stability control and 4wd - I had absolutely no trouble maintaining complete control in conditions where other vehicles were struggling to keep their wheels from spinning or from sliding all over. I know I've read alot on these forums about it being a reactive system, but in actual real-life useage, it seems to me to be fairly seemless. If it's a slight tradeoff for price then it's well worth it.

Absolutely no problems so far with any aspect of the vehicle - the 4cyl idles a bit unevenly for the first few minutes but it clears up quickly and it's more than enough engine for this vehicle.
  • Options
    Thanks for a very good input on MPG and bad weather 4wd handling.
    Good luck with your RAV$
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the XM & Sirius Satellite Radio discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    orioninilorioninil Member Posts: 39
    Still nothing on V6 in the Chicago Region on the web site.

However, I did follow the 34453 zip code link, and it is awesome.
    Looks like it definitely jumps over to a regional site.

Found it interesting that the Everglade Metallic is indeed available on the Limited V6. I had seen other information that showed that only Black and Blue were available.

This regional site shows that Black isn't available on Limited V6.

Unless it only shows which ones are out there in that region.

I will be test driving a Honda Pilot this week, since I have no idea when the Rav4 V6 will be coming into the Chicago Region.
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, black is a Limited color. If you go to that regional site and "build" a limited, you can do black. Also they have several black V6 limiteds listed as coming in but all 2WD. Since I that dealer is in Fl, am sure the demand for 4WD is low. Not too many sunbirds want to spend winter in NY to test the RAV$ 4WD I guess
  • Options
    pogs2006pogs2006 Member Posts: 26
    Yes,

I feel the same way about Toyota's in general. Also, the fact that they will be made in Japan for the first two years is a positive. The cars seem to be better built over there for some reason. That is why I am almost leaning towards bending the rules when it comes to buying a first year re-design. I'm sure there will be kinks to be worked out, but I'm afraid of finding out in a few months that I should have been more careful.

pogs :cry: