Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    First, congrats on getting that other forum mentioned. It seams like only my posts are deleted when I try to share info from that forum. Anyway, I was in the same boat as you. The Sienna was CHEAPER than the RAV except for two HUGE safety issues with us. First, my wife did not feel safe driving the Sienna. I t was simply too big. Second, the cheap Sienna (CE) that was priced less than the RAV did not have AWD....my wife was used to AWD and based on my experience with the FWD CAMRY we wanted AWD.

Time will tell if Toyota has spread itself too thin. They tries the smoke screen way back with the sludge issue and again back in 02 with rattle issues on the Camry. I hope they are sincere in cleaning up their act. I guess if we start hearing THEM make statement like...'Well quality is dow but we are still better them the domestics'....thats when I jump ship.
  • Options
    I have tried three different brands. All spin from new when a fresh rain falls. I do not feel safe at high speeds in any of the 3 sets either. Some say all cars this large are like this. All I know i sthat in smaller cars (Mystique, Topaz size) I never had this problem.
  • Options
    mark19mark19 Member Posts: 123
    so tell me.. what brand, model and size of tires have you tried? let me know.. thanks
  • Options
    Currently, I switched back to an off brand that I had used for over a dozen years: Jetzon. They are no better or worse than the original Michellans or the Dunlops I used in between.
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    But alot cheaper I bet. ;)
  • Options
    vivavegas99vivavegas99 Member Posts: 39
    We got the Limited 4X4 V6 and love it. As far as comfort, at first I couldn't find a comfortable driving position because I felt too close to the steering wheel (i'm only 5'8''). Figured out the lumbar support was all the way out, which made me feel too close. As soon as I adjusted that it was great. Also the steering wheel doesn't just adjust up and down, it also adjusts in and out. I forget the technical term for that. I have not driven this vehicle on any long distance trips other than about 1 hour and I did not feel uncomfortable. We previously had a 2004 Corolla S and traded it in for the RAV. To me it handles the same as the Corolla. I used to drive around our '99 Nissan Frontier, so I suppose the RAV is much more comfy after driving around a truck for years. Good luck on making your decision! We absolutely love our RAV
  • Options
    jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    mileage and I am getting 23.974 around 70% city and 30% highway...I am very pleased. I still love my RAV4.

Jimmy
  • Options
    Yep, I turn of the ignition and coast down hills. :D I have 5000 plus miles on my vehicle so that may make a difference. I am not exactly a "slow" driver either and love the power. I am running another check but I believe this is pretty accurate. Perhaps the larger tires on the Sport do make a difference? Anyway, I am very happy with my RAV4...don't ask me about the dealer though.

Jimmy Drew
  • Options
    serge06serge06 Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, may be it'll take some time to get it better. will see in ~2K miles.
    good luck :)
  • Options
    moonroovesmoonrooves Member Posts: 18
    So it seems that today- Sept. 16, 2006- that Fitzmall is showing the 2007 Rav4 at more than $1,500 OVER invoice!! what's up with that? I was all ready to buy a 2007 Rav4 V6, but not at such a high price. Any ideas??
  • Options
    newjeepguynewjeepguy Member Posts: 3
    Looking for a new 2006 Limited Rav 4. Is $24,100 about the right price to pay?
  • Options
    newjeepguynewjeepguy Member Posts: 3
    What was the final price?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can find actual deal reports over in the Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion - if you are getting an '07 please let everyone know about your deal in there. Thanks!
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Call or email them. They are easy to talk to and are a big seller. When the trucks are not in stock it seems they play with the prices but I find that they usually go down to a few hundred over invoice a few days after they actually are in stock.

Right now the 2007s are just showing up at dealers and so I guess they try you on for size just like all dealers.

Depending on where you are there are lots of dealers in the east with low prices. $300 over invoice is possible. I got one offer under invoice this week and posted it here in the buy thing
  • Options
    raviola4raviola4 Member Posts: 52
    I know, read the manual. Curious. I left my main headlights on this am. No buzzer warning me of that. First time i'd forgotten. I turned off, but does Rav have auto off feature perhaps?
  • Options
    charles64charles64 Member Posts: 13
    This is one of my pet peeves after owning a 93 Honda Civic that didn't beep when you left the lights on - but I forgot to check this feature when I bought my 2006 RAV4 in Feb. If you leave the headlights on you don't get a warning, but they shut off by themselves a few minutes after you turn off the engine.
  • Options
    cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    I believe they turn off 30 seconds after the last door is closed. Or, you can force them to turn off immediately by pressing the remote's lock button twice.
  • Options
    serge06serge06 Member Posts: 3
    It's gettin better... last fill was ~22 mpg (30%-city, 70% -hwy). ODO reading ~1K...
  • Options
    been around 23 and 24 with the V6 in about 70-30....where are these people getting figures of 17 and 18 mpg...?

Jimmy :shades:
  • Options
    Probably from people like me who like to GO when the light turns green! :blush: My husband already told me my mpg would suck if I drive like that, but I don't care. Having too much fun.
  • Options
    That is why God made V6 RAV4...to go!
  • Options
    I agree! Why get a V6 if you're not gonna use it? Obviously I'm not overly concerned with my mpg at this point since I got the V6 for the power. Maybe once the newness has worn off I'll back off the gas pedal for a minute. I haven't even hit 1k yet. :)
  • Options
    orioninilorioninil Member Posts: 39
    Update.

I am getting a consistent 24.5 mpg average with my V6 with almost 7k miles.
  • Options
    Great, just filled up again and it was 24.0 right on the button...I think this is great...and no, I don't baby it at all. :shades:

Jimmy
  • Options
    markiz7markiz7 Member Posts: 19
    Is it Hwy or City mileage?
  • Options
    I have no complaint...and the V6 is a pocket rocket...I was going to wait for the new CRV but I am glad I did not...the V6 is unmatched in the type of SUV...I do love the power.

Jimmy
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Anyone know when the engine will debut in the Sienna? Buying guides are saying the 2007 model will have it, but others tell me January. Plus Toyota announced those delays...

By the way, the 3.5l made Ward's 10 Best engines list this year. I want a lift gate, though, not a barn door.

-juice
  • Options
    cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Good on you for demanding a proper hatch. December/January is what I keep seeing regarding the Sienna with the 3.5. Could be the 2007 model won't be released until then?
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I, too, hear it will be in the new '07's due in early '07.

Here's the link from donlen which is normally very very accurate
    Toyota production / 1st delivery dates
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Build 11/06, for sale 01/07. Thanks.

My brother owes me money and might pay me back in December. I won't hold my breath, but if he does I may start car shopping.

-juice
  • Options
    Mine went down to 15 MPG ouch! I am driving WAY too fast. Time to slow it down.
  • Options
    Mine is around 20 with most of city driving/Limited V6.
  • Options
    fredslanefredslane Member Posts: 6
    Have 4500 miles on V6 4WD Ltd. Mileage has been a consistent 26 (virtually every tank) including some modest towing. Am fairly careful on the accelerator. One issue: I gunned it when trying to pass on a crowned 2-lane road and there was a moment of steering control loss; felt like the power was pulsing thru the different wheels and was really an uncomfortable moment. Anyone else experience that? Also, got a free oil change at a Valvoline 10-minute shop when they sheepishly told me they didn't have a filter. Overall I'm happy since towing and mileage were critical points for me. Zero defects.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Further info...

Printed info from Toyota today..

'07 Sienna gets the 3.5L
    '07 Highlander - S/C A/B standard
    '07 Sequoia - minor changes
    '07 RAV - S/C A/B standard.. BT/JBL available
  • Options
    Have 06 4wd ltd with trailer prep. I bought in May and paid 27M so dealer had some profit margin. Cost me 563.49 including 8.75% NY sales tax for hitch and harness at dealer. Push back at dealer.
  • Options
    fredslane, are you using a/c? What kind of gas 87 or 93? Is it city or hwy driving?

Thanks
  • Options
    When I step on the gas like that, it pulls to the right. My husband says a slight pull is normal due to the high horsepower. Is that what you experienced? I just decided when I accelerate fast like that to have both hands on the wheel to help control it. I usually drive with one hand.
  • Options
    than average power. Yes, it can overstear because of it. I do love the power though. I call it my Pocket Rocket.

Jimmy
  • Options
    I use AC discriminately; always 87 octane; 75% highway / 25% city, and Long Island is flat.
  • Options
    When I accelerated hard it was more of a fishtailing than just a pull to the right. Never felt that with my Camry or Corolla which are front wheel (2wd).
  • Options
    Fred, so what highway speeds do you usually travel at? I am on Long Island and about to get a 2007 V6 Sport
  • Options
    Thanks, Fred.

On my Limited V6 I am getting around 20 mpg with city driving and around 22 with 20% Hwy/80% city driving. I guess, I am OK.

Thanks again,
    Mark
  • Options
    lgslgs Member Posts: 27
    You're not likely to get fishtailing with a FWD vehicle....unless you're cornering hard while under throttle, and then you lift off the gas.

Usually front drivers suffer from either torque steer or excessive understeering.
  • Options
    mtwebstermtwebster Member Posts: 7
    I hear alot of people getting upwards of 25+ mpg with their 2006.

I have to this day, *never* gotten over about 24.5 with about 75% highway consistantly on my 4 cylinder. With or without a/c going.

I wonder if this is related at all to the non-acceleration issue. Anyone with the issue have consistantly good gas mileage? I run on regular unleaded.
  • Options
    charles64charles64 Member Posts: 13
    FINALLY got the dealership to witness the freak out radio display this evening on my way home. I have had a few isolated display episode issues recently, but when I head to the dealership the behavior stopped. Today I was just down the street from the dealership and the display was freaking out - and also the lights on the sides of the CD loader slot were blinking. Some of this behavior stopped before I got to the dealership but the display was still trashed. One of the service managers came out, took one look, then we went back inside to order the replacement unit. It is supposed to arrive Thursday (ordered on a Monday). Good luck to others who have this problem and can't get their dealerships to believe them!
  • Options
    I have ever been to. They lied to me and actually quoted false figures but the service has been great. The Service manager did not even ask for "proof". He just ordered me a new radio...wow. Oh, the are King Toyota in Deerfield, Fl. I wouldn't buy from them again..the absolutely lied but the service has been great.

Jimmy
  • Options
    This is a major problem with the JVC's. I got mine replaced 2 weeks ago. Working fine, but interesting to note, it appears to be a little darker graphics (good) and seems to be pumping out more power to speakers. Not sure if any others noted that or not. Dealer order via my phone call since well known they have a problem. Also i printed pictures i've seen in other forums on this. Same hyroglyphics or whatever. Sometimes blank. So far after 2 weeks no problems. If dealers aren't believing folks shame on them. They know they have a problem.
  • Options
    I've been getting roughly 23 mixed driving in my 4 cyl. Haven't had a full trip yet, but mixed with perhaps 75% or more highway, around 26. Not sure if hesitation mess causing problems (of course they'll tell you thats to improved the mileage). Hesitation issue is a safety concern. I've reported to NHTSA as should everyone.
  • Options
    hibeamhibeam Member Posts: 9
    I had mine replaced 2 months ago and so far no problems
  • Options
    I try to keep around 65 but when LIE is moving it drifts a little higher. I also tend to be the only one in the car.