Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Seized Engine Question

cabaluchicabaluchi Member Posts: 1
edited August 2016 in Toyota
I need to have a question answered regarding a Toyota Tundra Engine (2003 Tundra with V6 3.4L at 111000 miles) and the possible issues that could arise with running it without an air filter. Is it possible for this engine to eventually (within about a four month time period) throw two rods (one on each side of the engine block) from driving the vehicle without an air filter to the point that the Mass Air Flow Sensor failed due to being clogged with debris. Long story short is that a lube shop left out my air filter and I drove it for over 3000 miles sucking in unprotected air. It wasn't discovered until after my truck died from contamination from floating cotton wood debris that clogged the MAF sensor. 2000 miles later the truck throws a rod. Do I have a case against the Lube shop?

Answers

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165
    I don't think there is a connection between the rod problem and having driven without an air filter.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think you have much of a case unless the engine swallowed a bolt or something through the throttle body. Contamination of the MAF would cause a lean condition and would probably throw a check engine light, but I can't see that causing engine seizure.

You'd have to disassemble the engine to come to some conclusion as to why it failed---both overheating and/or oil starvation are common causes, but sometimes (rarely) it's just a metallurgical failure.