Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Should I buy the Acura TLX or Accord Hybrid ?

ynguns2ynguns2 Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in Acura
Looking for a new car once VW buys my car back from me in NOV. I need a dependable car as I drive a lot and also one that is good on gas. I have currently a 2010 VW Jetta TDI which I absolutely hate other then the fuel economy which is 31 Cty 41 Hwy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 8,940
    Honda's hybrids have been troublesome in the past, how about a Camry, Avalon, or ES300h? The Civic with the turbo 4 is producing good mpg numbers for Edmunds in their long term test, it's bigger than before, worth a look.
    http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2016/long-term-road-test/2016-honda-civic-edging-closer-to-epa-estimates.html
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    What is it about the Jetta you hate? Size, ride?

I second the Civic; reviews are as good as the mpg.
  • I would feel more alpha male in an Acura. And Acura is Honda, so why not get the big boy version of a Honda?
    Well, you mentioned mpgs were important. Nothing wrong with the TLX, but it's not a high-mpg vehicle.
    edited August 2016
    Edmunds had a TLX, some liked it, some didn't. I keep hearing complaints about the transmission:
    http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tlx/2015/long-term-road-test/

They averaged about 25 mpg.
  • ynguns2ynguns2 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I hate my Jetta for several reasons but having bought this in 2010 and trading in my 04 jetta TDI I am very displeased with all the weird service engine light quirks not to mention i had to replace my turbocharger in nov, 2015 costing me $3100 and then shortly after the DPF and having to argue with VW for the bill to be waived. I am getting $12,435 from VW for my car and I cannot wait to get into a new one as I have been waiting for awhile. You say that the Honda cars have problems? please do advise as i am very interested in hearing all i can.
    edited August 2016
    All cars have problems. But most don't, if you get my drift.

Dependable and good mpg? That's a Prius. There's a reason lots of big city cabbies drive them. It sounds like you want more of a "driving" experience though although the newest Prius is getting better handling reviews.
  • ynguns2ynguns2 Posts: 3
    I really am not a big fan of a Prius but i do hear good things about toyota. I have great credit and am really surprised there is no 0% available on the Acura or Honda models? I always liked the Audi A3 but it is a VW product.
    A reporter would like to talk with car shoppers who either purchased or considered purchasing a Toyota Prius in the last few months. If you're willing to share your experience, please reach out to us at [email protected] by no later than Friday, September 16, 2016.