Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Simple, inexpensive horsepower/torque upgrades for 95 Chevy C1500

jwchevyjwchevy Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in Chevrolet
I'm not a gear head and am looking for info on simple, inexpensive upgrades for my 95 Chevy C1500. I have a 350 and it has 128k miles on it. I want the most bang for the buck without hurting my engine. Any Ideas?

See also: The Twist on Torque

Comments

• driftracerdriftracer Posts: 2,692
    Choose your sound (I'm a Flowmaster fan), but many, many companies make cat-back exhaust systems for your truck - at that mileage, too, you can replace the cat with a high-flow unit - your stock cat can't be doing much more than getting in the way at this point.

An intake kit, like K&N offers with their FIPK kits, or SLP and their Big Mouth setups will make it inhale MUCH better.

The next least expensive mod is a gear swap - you likely have a 3.42 rear gear, or at best a 3.73 - going to a 4.11 works wonders - best bang for the buck, without a doubt.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    All that'll work. Maybe cost you $1,000 for 20 HP if you do everything he suggests except the gearing. That's extra. $50 per HP is pretty good.

"Shorter" gearing will give you faster accleration, but you'll some lose top speed (no big deal on a truck) and gas mileage will definitely go down.
  • jwchevyjwchevy Posts: 4
    What about the Superchips? Are they good? Bad? Indifferent? Can one believe the claim of 21 extra ponies they boast?
  • jwchevyjwchevy Posts: 4
    Another question. As far as exhaust systems. I want a system that is not going to wake up the neighbors on those early mornings, but still has a nice rumble. A system that will give me the extra hp without losing torque. I pull and 18 ft bassboat a lot.
    These exhaust mods are not big HP producers and can't really affect torque very much. A flowmaster AND free flow cat is only worth maybe 10 if you're lucky. Noise could be an issue but if you just did the flowmasters I don't think it would be very offensive.

No I don't believe 21HP from a chip unless it was raising the boost on a turbo car.
  • I think most of the bolt on's are good ideals. It's a little pricing for what you get but it will help. The gearing might to much unless you tow a lot. I have an 89 pickup with 90,000 on it. I plan on installing vortec heads, roller cam, rockers and headers. I will cost about the same 1,000 and gain about 80 hp +. just my 2 cents.
    Tommy
  • gasman72gasman72 Posts: 1
    does anyone know what all needs to be done? does the engine harness need changed? would may be like to go with a vortec motor. any help is appreciated. thank you
  • I have a 94 stepside with a 305 and 289,000 miles! Time to rebuild/restore, Anyone have any thoughts on the GETRAG tranny and rearend. I have got everything from great idea down to why bother. Must all the info I have comes from dealers and speed shops, Can anyone direct me to some solid info: conversions, engine swap, interior redo's. First attempt at this restore thing. I really want to keep this truck bought it brand new. Any help/direction to info, clubs, tech sites would be great.

Thanks
    I'm a bit confused here. Why do you want to put a Getrag transmission in it exactly?
  • Just finished a full frame off on my '90 4.3 converted to 5.7 used same 4.3 computer with a new prom from Howell Fuel Injection (The Maker of the original prom) The prom needed to be fine tuned for fuel trim and timing. New 1990 truck works flawlessly!!
  • Used all original part numbers for 4.3 sensors on 5.7, junked smog pump, re-routed knock sensor wire, used 5.7 part # for power steering lines, lengthened temperature sender wire, re-routed map sensor to fire wall, re-routed egr controller to firewall, original exhaust flange headers fit right up, installed high flow CAT and Flow Master!!!, Installed rear disk conversion kit!!, installed Eaton-Locker 3:73 Posi!!, Rear sway bar (Hellwig), 18" wheels and big tires (60's), PST (Performance Suspension Technology) has awsome bushings and brake conversion kits!!

C1500 in CA 93444
  • How about doing this on a '95? I'm looking at a carb'ed 350 and I understand that the transmission is computer controlled. Anybody had experience with this?
  • yea waht all do i need to buy and install for my 95 chevy for a tourqe and aceleceration improvment??
  • I appear to have a water leak inside the cab in the right side right where the heater core is. However, I don't believe it is the heater core that is leaking because there is no antifreeze in the water, so I suspect it is condensation from the A/C. What would cause this and what would I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
  • i no this is an old message but i really need some help im doin the same thing. i have a 1990 chevy 1500 with a fuel injected 4.3 v-6 and i want to put a 5.7 350 in it.
    i can i use the same trans what do ineed to change and what is a good moto to use.
    plz email me about this [email protected]
    thanks chris
  • My 1990 Chevy C-1500 Pickup's ABS Dash Light has been on steady for @ 2 weeks now. I looked behind the wheels, for magnetic speed sensors. But could'nt find any.Could it be on the tailshaft of the tranny? The Brake system is fairly New. I have plenty of fluid.And the pedal is not low.
    I also checked all Connections to the Abs ECM, and they're clean & dry. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    torque converter and starter nose cone must be the same. some gm v6 motors have a smaller flywheel. on frame motor mount position may need to be moved. the holes are already in cradle and may only have 2 mounting match holes. all other cross member mounts and tranny mounts should be the same. use 1 piece accessory bracket. this will give you mounting access for air,steering, and electric with little or no mod of bracket.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    pull the rotor and see if it has a gear at the rear hub seal check sensor for metal attached at fielding magnet :)
  • hey tommy, I have a 89 c1500 rwd with a 305 and I am getting ready to do all the same mods u are talking about. just wondering if u went ahead and did everything and want to know if I could get a few pointers.
  • timportertimporter Posts: 1
    Hi i am having Aston Martin DB9 RS LM and I am getting ready to do all changes that you both are discussing. But even I was looking for some ideas to get through it. So please go ahead and I will be happy to get some indications for modifications.