Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Simple, inexpensive horsepower/torque upgrades for 95 Chevy C1500

jwchevyjwchevy Member Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in Chevrolet
I'm not a gear head and am looking for info on simple, inexpensive upgrades for my 95 Chevy C1500. I have a 350 and it has 128k miles on it. I want the most bang for the buck without hurting my engine. Any Ideas?

See also: The Twist on Torque

Comments

• driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    Choose your sound (I'm a Flowmaster fan), but many, many companies make cat-back exhaust systems for your truck - at that mileage, too, you can replace the cat with a high-flow unit - your stock cat can't be doing much more than getting in the way at this point.

An intake kit, like K&N offers with their FIPK kits, or SLP and their Big Mouth setups will make it inhale MUCH better.

The next least expensive mod is a gear swap - you likely have a 3.42 rear gear, or at best a 3.73 - going to a 4.11 works wonders - best bang for the buck, without a doubt.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    All that'll work. Maybe cost you $1,000 for 20 HP if you do everything he suggests except the gearing. That's extra. $50 per HP is pretty good.

"Shorter" gearing will give you faster accleration, but you'll some lose top speed (no big deal on a truck) and gas mileage will definitely go down.
  • jwchevyjwchevy Member Posts: 4
    What about the Superchips? Are they good? Bad? Indifferent? Can one believe the claim of 21 extra ponies they boast?
  • jwchevyjwchevy Member Posts: 4
    Another question. As far as exhaust systems. I want a system that is not going to wake up the neighbors on those early mornings, but still has a nice rumble. A system that will give me the extra hp without losing torque. I pull and 18 ft bassboat a lot.
    These exhaust mods are not big HP producers and can't really affect torque very much. A flowmaster AND free flow cat is only worth maybe 10 if you're lucky. Noise could be an issue but if you just did the flowmasters I don't think it would be very offensive.

No I don't believe 21HP from a chip unless it was raising the boost on a turbo car.
  • tommyblue1tommyblue1 Member Posts: 2
    I think most of the bolt on's are good ideals. It's a little pricing for what you get but it will help. The gearing might to much unless you tow a lot. I have an 89 pickup with 90,000 on it. I plan on installing vortec heads, roller cam, rockers and headers. I will cost about the same 1,000 and gain about 80 hp +. just my 2 cents.
    Tommy
  • gasman72gasman72 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know what all needs to be done? does the engine harness need changed? would may be like to go with a vortec motor. any help is appreciated. thank you
  • 94step94step Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 stepside with a 305 and 289,000 miles! Time to rebuild/restore, Anyone have any thoughts on the GETRAG tranny and rearend. I have got everything from great idea down to why bother. Must all the info I have comes from dealers and speed shops, Can anyone direct me to some solid info: conversions, engine swap, interior redo's. First attempt at this restore thing. I really want to keep this truck bought it brand new. Any help/direction to info, clubs, tech sites would be great.

Thanks
    I'm a bit confused here. Why do you want to put a Getrag transmission in it exactly?
  • c1500c1500 Member Posts: 2
    Just finished a full frame off on my '90 4.3 converted to 5.7 used same 4.3 computer with a new prom from Howell Fuel Injection (The Maker of the original prom) The prom needed to be fine tuned for fuel trim and timing. New 1990 truck works flawlessly!!
  • c1500c1500 Member Posts: 2
    Used all original part numbers for 4.3 sensors on 5.7, junked smog pump, re-routed knock sensor wire, used 5.7 part # for power steering lines, lengthened temperature sender wire, re-routed map sensor to fire wall, re-routed egr controller to firewall, original exhaust flange headers fit right up, installed high flow CAT and Flow Master!!!, Installed rear disk conversion kit!!, installed Eaton-Locker 3:73 Posi!!, Rear sway bar (Hellwig), 18" wheels and big tires (60's), PST (Performance Suspension Technology) has awsome bushings and brake conversion kits!!

C1500 in CA 93444
  • longed29longed29 Member Posts: 1
    How about doing this on a '95? I'm looking at a carb'ed 350 and I understand that the transmission is computer controlled. Anybody had experience with this?
  • jbuschjbusch Member Posts: 1
    yea waht all do i need to buy and install for my 95 chevy for a tourqe and aceleceration improvment??
  • bena8837bena8837 Member Posts: 26
    I appear to have a water leak inside the cab in the right side right where the heater core is. However, I don't believe it is the heater core that is leaking because there is no antifreeze in the water, so I suspect it is condensation from the A/C. What would cause this and what would I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • crazyrockercrazyrocker Member Posts: 1
    i no this is an old message but i really need some help im doin the same thing. i have a 1990 chevy 1500 with a fuel injected 4.3 v-6 and i want to put a 5.7 350 in it.
    i can i use the same trans what do ineed to change and what is a good moto to use.
    plz email me about this crazy_rocker_69@hotmail.com
    thanks chris
  • phelps389phelps389 Member Posts: 1
    My 1990 Chevy C-1500 Pickup's ABS Dash Light has been on steady for @ 2 weeks now. I looked behind the wheels, for magnetic speed sensors. But could'nt find any.Could it be on the tailshaft of the tranny? The Brake system is fairly New. I have plenty of fluid.And the pedal is not low.
    I also checked all Connections to the Abs ECM, and they're clean & dry. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    torque converter and starter nose cone must be the same. some gm v6 motors have a smaller flywheel. on frame motor mount position may need to be moved. the holes are already in cradle and may only have 2 mounting match holes. all other cross member mounts and tranny mounts should be the same. use 1 piece accessory bracket. this will give you mounting access for air,steering, and electric with little or no mod of bracket.
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    pull the rotor and see if it has a gear at the rear hub seal check sensor for metal attached at fielding magnet :)
  • dguindon_78dguindon_78 Member Posts: 1
    hey tommy, I have a 89 c1500 rwd with a 305 and I am getting ready to do all the same mods u are talking about. just wondering if u went ahead and did everything and want to know if I could get a few pointers.
  • timportertimporter Member Posts: 1
    Hi i am having Aston Martin DB9 RS LM and I am getting ready to do all changes that you both are discussing. But even I was looking for some ideas to get through it. So please go ahead and I will be happy to get some indications for modifications.