Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Midsize SUVs or Crossovers for Towing?

bradreynoldsbradreynolds Posts: 1
edited September 2016 in General
I have never owned an SUV and have never had any desire to. I now find myself looking for something that I can haul tools, supplies, people, and someday soon, a small travel trailer like a teardrop. I am not a fan of the giant SUVs (Expeditions, Tahoes, Ukons, etc.) and have my eye on something a bit smaller and sportier AWD or FWD like the Santa Fe, Sorento, CX5 or similar but with still enough power to haul a 3k to 5k trailer. Is that even possible? I have been researching but it's a bit confusing so I thought I'd just ask it here. Thank you.

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 8,921
    At 5k you're looking more at a midsize CUV (Pilot, Highlander, etc), but check their tow rating first. You need the size and brakes of a bigger vehicle to handle a 5k trailer. I'd do that even for a 3k trailer.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    edited September 2016
    I'm not a big fan of towing with FWD either. I agree with texases, a mid-size AWD or RWD is the way to go, with the largest engine available and hopefully, a two-package option that would include a transmission cooler. 5K is, after all, 2.5 tons. That's more than the tow vehicle itself.

If your need for towing is only occasional, then just rent a pickup for that.