Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How has COVID-19 impacted your car shopping? Click here to help us help drivers like you with a 5-min questionnaire.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

1989 Yugo GVL Long Term Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,112
edited September 2016 in Yugo
image1989 Yugo GVL Long Term Road Test | Edmunds.com

Our long-term 1989 Yugo GVL, a.k.a. the Edmunds Yugo, has departed the fleet via auction, setting some records along the way. Here's our official farewell.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason TexasPosts: 501
    The Edmunds Community will never forgive you for selling this car. This is the second strike against Edmunds. The first was taking a C2 Corvette and parking it in your headquarters, which is a horrible fate for a car, turning it into an indoor display...but now? Y'all sold the Yugo. A pox on your progeny.
  • I disagree...selling the Yugo to an enthusiastic buyer has spared it from such a mundane fate as the Corvette. If you love something, set it free.

(And as the article hints, it's possible that this Yugo could turn up again...like a bad penny.)
  • daryleasondaryleason TexasPosts: 501
    @misterfusion : I agree with the part about it going to an enthusiast as opposed to becoming a static display. I just feel that there were so many squandered avenues with the Yugo. It's initial purpose was as a "penalty box." But in truth, it morphed into something more. Maybe they bought it as a joke to begin with, but it became (at least to me based on others responses as well as my own) a favorite. In truth, they didn't write that many articles about it.

I feel like they significantly undervalued this little car. Not just in its market value (as shown by their selling price), but with the more intangible aspects as well.
  • On that I do agree. The Yugo struck a nerve (in a good way), and they could have done more with it...brand ambassador, mascot, or, umm...just writing about it more.
  • "A CNN crew accompanied us to the Concours d'LeMons, by the way, and shot a bunch of footage"

I guess they were gonna play it if Bernie became Prez.
  • gslippygslippy Posts: 514
    As I predicted, this car wasn't the worst thing you've ever tested - not by a long shot. Heck, it was better than the Dart, whose mysterious demise has yet to be explained here.