Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Hydrogen vs. Electricity Road Trip to Lake Tahoe - 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited September 2016 in Toyota
imageHydrogen vs. Electricity Road Trip to Lake Tahoe - 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

It's hydrogen versus electricity, fuel cell versus batteries as our 2016 Toyota Mirai takes on a 2016 Tesla Model X in a battle to see which can reach Lake Tahoe first.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Nice comparison.... I have a comment about using drive-through for lunch on an 8 hour trip. I would likely to go-in and sit down to eat for 30-45 minutes or so (even driving a gas car).... especially when travelling with family/kids.... so the gap would have been 1 hour or less. This gives Mirai time advantage of 10-15% only.
  • banhughbanhugh Posts: 315
    boloti said:

Nice comparison.... I have a comment about using drive-through for lunch on an 8 hour trip. I would likely to go-in and sit down to eat for 30-45 minutes or so (even driving a gas car).... especially when travelling with family/kids.... so the gap would have been 1 hour or less. This gives Mirai time advantage of 10-15% only.

Still I can imagine the kids whining at the Supercharger station: "Is it charged yet"?!?!?
  • @boloti -- But presumably you would so the same if you were driving the Tesla, so the gap remains the same?
  • @boloti -- But presumably you would so the same if you were driving the Tesla, so the gap remains the same?

I would charge Tesla while eating in a restaurant. As mentioned in the post, the Mirai does not need to charge, to the driver's butt keeps riding that seat for 8 hours straight. For such long trip with kids I would make at least 2 30-45 minutes stops to have them run around, go to the bathroom and eat normally. Even in a gas car.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Monterey Park, CaliforniaPosts: 120
    Great storytelling, Dan!
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Posts: 98
    boloti said:

Nice comparison.... I have a comment about using drive-through for lunch on an 8 hour trip. I would likely to go-in and sit down to eat for 30-45 minutes or so (even driving a gas car).... especially when travelling with family/kids.... so the gap would have been 1 hour or less. This gives Mirai time advantage of 10-15% only.

When I travel, I normally stop about 10 minutes every 4-5 hours to get a drink, use the bathroom and stretch my legs. Best I've done is one 10 minute stop in an 830 mile trip. A Tesla would slow me down a lot, likely adding an hour and a half to a 12 hour drive. That'd suck.
  • What is the driving range of the Model X used in this contest?
    The author mentioned the Mirai is 312, but he never mentioned what the Model X is.