Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hydrogen vs. Electricity Road Trip to Lake Tahoe - 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Toyota
imageHydrogen vs. Electricity Road Trip to Lake Tahoe - 2016 Toyota Mirai Long-Term Road Test

It's hydrogen versus electricity, fuel cell versus batteries as our 2016 Toyota Mirai takes on a 2016 Tesla Model X in a battle to see which can reach Lake Tahoe first.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47
    Nice comparison.... I have a comment about using drive-through for lunch on an 8 hour trip. I would likely to go-in and sit down to eat for 30-45 minutes or so (even driving a gas car).... especially when travelling with family/kids.... so the gap would have been 1 hour or less. This gives Mirai time advantage of 10-15% only.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    boloti said:

Nice comparison.... I have a comment about using drive-through for lunch on an 8 hour trip. I would likely to go-in and sit down to eat for 30-45 minutes or so (even driving a gas car).... especially when travelling with family/kids.... so the gap would have been 1 hour or less. This gives Mirai time advantage of 10-15% only.

Still I can imagine the kids whining at the Supercharger station: "Is it charged yet"?!?!?
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    @boloti -- But presumably you would so the same if you were driving the Tesla, so the gap remains the same?
  • Options
    bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47

@boloti -- But presumably you would so the same if you were driving the Tesla, so the gap remains the same?

I would charge Tesla while eating in a restaurant. As mentioned in the post, the Mirai does not need to charge, to the driver's butt keeps riding that seat for 8 hours straight. For such long trip with kids I would make at least 2 30-45 minutes stops to have them run around, go to the bathroom and eat normally. Even in a gas car.
  • Options
    subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    Great storytelling, Dan!
  • Options
    500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    boloti said:

When I travel, I normally stop about 10 minutes every 4-5 hours to get a drink, use the bathroom and stretch my legs. Best I've done is one 10 minute stop in an 830 mile trip. A Tesla would slow me down a lot, likely adding an hour and a half to a 12 hour drive. That'd suck.
  • Options
    ruselllruselll Member Posts: 3
    What is the driving range of the Model X used in this contest?
    The author mentioned the Mirai is 312, but he never mentioned what the Model X is.