Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL vs. Infiniti M35

12346»

Comments

• pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Good summary. The M (and the G) get beaten up consistently over their mileage numbers. These cars desperately need a six gear automatic with sixth being a serious overdrive to get the revs down while cruising on the highway. This would also help get the noise down. Infiniti has opted for high (numeric) gears to enhance acceleration - it works, but kills mpg.
  • valueboyvalueboy Member Posts: 7
    Carfan is pretty accurate in listing pros and cons - I have to declare my prejudice - I bought a 2006 M35x, so I agree that the fuel efficiency and some cabin noise (the BMW, not the Lexus is the bogeyman for Infiniti, after all)are top negatives for the M. But the M's status as the best buy in Canada at least got better when Honda Canada announced an end this year to its price rip-off (about $10K of indfensible 'goudge' over the fair price on either side of the border). They've finally squeezed enough 'early adopters' (not me, thank God) to start reducing the "price goudge factor" for their 'valued customers' - by dropping the price about $6K this year. This is a 'negative' for the RL because you've got to ask yourself: Would I buy a vehicle from any dealer that admits it diddled "valued customers" for the past 2 years? The 'poorer resale' plus the 'moving target pricing' mean the RL is a bad deal, regardless of the pros and cons of the vehicle itself - price extortion is a comparo factor, no?
  • pharrickpharrick Member Posts: 2
    I've read this string of e-mails with great interest. I may have missed it, but here is an interesting comparison of the RL, M35, and several other competitors in class (MotorTrend Road Test: 2005 BMW 530i vs. Jaguar S-Type 3.0 vs. Audi A6 3.2 quattro vs. Cadillac STS V6 vs. Infiniti M35 vs. Acura RL):

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0503_luxury_sport_comparison/ [I'll save you reading... the M35 edges the RL for top dog by a hair]

Most of the cars in the M35 - RL class are marvelous machines. To help sort the pack, I began with Consumer Reports, but I know from personal experience it is not the be all end all. Motor Trend, Road and Track, and Edmunds are among many who provide excellent reviews, as are owner forums such as this. I also consider the reputation and distance from my home to the dealership where it will be serviced. There is no substitute for driving the competition, as I did, because the differences between these cars are not that great and for every plus there is a seeming trade off. I set out to purchase the M35, based on Consumer Reports high marks, but after driving the M35, and a Lexus (I didn't even bother to test the BMW 5 series, given its sorry reliability record), frankly found the RL more to my liking... just a personal comfort zone and a good fit for me and my wife. Perhaps age is a factor, because V-8 power - which is what most seem to think the RL lacks - is not a matter of great significance to me. The RL's 300 hp V-6 offers plenty of power for most drivers. When cars are this closely competitive, price comes into play. Infiniti did not seem interested in serious negotiating, and despite what I read in the forum about Honda gouging (in Canada), I purchased my '07 RL at a very nice 20% off MSRP. I couldn't be more pleased with it. Solid, great road holding characteristics, comfortable, quiet, decent mpg. for an all wheel drive vehicle, and more than adequate acceleration. Its not perfect ... my biggest complaint is that the trunk is relatively small, but it is adequate for my needs. Most contributors to this forum hit the nail on the head - you can read all you want, but in the final analysis, you have to test drive and decide for yourself. I don't think you will go wrong with either car.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    I don't think you will go wrong with either car.

I drive an M35 and have been reading reviews and threads such as this one for over two years since getting my M. Your post hits the nail on the head, and once someone sorts through all the palaver the bottom line is that all of these cars are superb. It's the ice-cream issue all over again: chocolate v. vanilla. Bart :shades:
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I am considering a gently used 2005+ RL or 2005+ M35.

It seems like both can be had for low 30s.

Any opinion on which is the better bet as a used car as far as the owner experience goes and what you can expect on resale to the third owner?
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Both hold their value farily well, although it appears that while the list prices are similar, the Acura probably went out the door cheaper. For me, it was no choice - I'm fairly tall (and long-waisted), so I just couldn't drive the Acura comfortably.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I have to say I see more M35s than Acura RLs in central Ohio. And more Acura TLs than either of those.
  • strapperstrapper Member Posts: 7
    I test drove the M35X and liked the look of the front end and really liked the interior but as soon as I started driving I realized I could not tolerate the excessive noise the engine made .I think you can have a car with good performance but it should not sound like the engine is on its last legs.So the M35 is not for me.I guess I am spoilt I drive a Lexus. ;)
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    A lot of that noise is from the Goodyear tires they put on them. Even my snow tires are quieter.
This discussion has been closed.