Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2004 Liberty has burning candle smell

stang6626stang6626 Member Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in Jeep
My 04 liberty just started having a burning candle smell especially when stopped at a light. Smells like when you put out the candle ? help?

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hard to say as my nose is clogged up today but I'm going to take a guess here and say either a) oil dripping on a hot exhaust manifold or pipe or b) an over-worked catalytic converter maybe due to an engine misfire.

Any check engine light?

Notice any wisps of smoke if you were to open the hood with the engine running at idle?
  • Options
    not that i see any smoke. no check engine light however it does SOMETIMES idle a bit rough when stopped but not all the time. It seems to come on stopped at a light then it disappears. Only thing was i put in a new battery 800CC but it reads 1124....?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you might check your fuse box, alternator wiring, or fusible link wiring (extra wire coming off the positive battery post) for any insulation damage. If an oil leak is involved, you might have to go on a lift to see that.
  • Options
    ok thank you sir.