Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

crack in gas tank

lswiteslswites Posts: 1
edited November 2016 in Chevrolet
Hello. my dad has bought me a used truck in delaware where we reside, well i had this HORRIBLE smell of gas. he paid the 300-400 dollars to have it looked at and the dealership said there is a crack on the gas tank and it has to be replaced. i recently was told not to drive the truck anymore because i went to put gas in it and it came out and spilled everywhere. there was a recall and my truck does NOT qualify for them to fix it for free with the recall because i was so many miles over. (I forget the amount) and i think there was a date it had to be done by i dont quite remember. anyways i hardly go anywhere. there was a lot of miles on the truck when he bought it. its a great truck except the freaking gas tank. is there anything i can do about this!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a 3 year old daughter and i have to rely on my parents for rides. im not spending 800 when i dont have the money and i dont think i should be paying for it if it qualifies for the recall because it was NOT in our posession at the time of the recall. HELP please thank you

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,482
    First thing you might do is check the VIN #. This recall was VIN specific, so you should find out if your truck even qualifies.

Check here:

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/13ry2-2003-trailblazer-cracked-gas-tank.html

And yes, it looks like a 10 year, 150,000 mile limit was put on the recall. So unless you a) qualify by VIN # and b) can somehow convince GM to make some sort of goodwill adjustment through their customer relations department, I don't see what else you can do here. Maybe the tank can be repaired for less than replacement cost?