Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Ridgeline Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 501
    What's with all the shouting?
  • Your stall problem sounds something like what I had with a new 626 in 86. Never pulled anything with it but it would up and die after it warmer up and would not even turn over until it cooled. The dealer replaced the computer and found tiny cracks in the board that shorted out in high humidity. Just a thought.
  • shimmyshimmy Posts: 14
    I've got first thousand km,s on my RL, and i like it very much. The only complain i have is this; when i tow a 2000. lb. trailer transmition is shifting excessively an annoying. On my previous trucks i would just turn of the overdrive, but Honda dealers (including Honda head office)do not recommend doing so, because "It can void your warranty sir". Now; as i understand this is not a torque convertor problem. RL has got 5-sped auto trans, and it behaves normal under circumstance. Honda manual states clearly (or not); "under the tow"....."do not shift to D-3 on level road". Does it mean, when RL behaves lake this, that the road is not "level"? I guess i'm left with the option of helplessly watching tachometer needle dance and wait for transmition to brake down. Shimmy.
  • In all critiques and appraisals, always find something positive to say. Okay the good things: unique styling, easy to drive, great for someone who needs a more fuel-efficient light duty pickup, seems solid and well-built. Okay now the weird things. I bought this truck in May 2005, one of the first on the lots. I traded a 2004 Titan for it, a real gas hog and also with its share of Import flaws.
    In the Ridgeline, initially I noticed a slight hesitation when accelerating, sometimes it actually jerks when you apply the gas. Then I noticed moisture inside the cabin, wet windshield and moonroof, inside. Then I noticed an odd smell, like old tennis shoes. At high speeds, I noticed a substantial air noise leak. Then I logged on to this site and began reading. Now the weird things make sense.
    I took the vehicle in for the air leak and the hesitation. Dealer says there is a service bulletin for the air leak and a new windsheild is on order. Dealer says they found no problem with the acceleration. After reading these messages on leaks and such, I checked under the floor mat and guess what, wet carpet. Not soaked but certainly damp. I guess that's where the old tennis shoe smell comes from. I couldn't understand why that new car smell left so quickly. Now I know.

As for American versus Import, I've had a 2004 Titan, problems with loud exhaust, poor radio, squeaky seats, tailgate latch problems, HVAC was noisy; 1998 Silverado, loved the truck, looks and handling, mechanical problems galore. Trouble with the electrical, shorts, bad brakes, engine light problem and on and on and on. I had a 1987 Mazda B2200 which probably gave me the best service of all but it too had its problems.
    Bottom line, you can get a bad one in any breed but when you buy the top-of-the-line model like I tend to do and don't drive the vehicle hard, you expect more. I did on the Ridgeline RTL.
  • whaleyawhaleya Posts: 28
    The Honda transmission will select different shift points based on the calculated grade of the road, both uphill and downhill.

I have no trouble with my trailer but it's a little heavier.

My guess is that the combination of your trailer and the roads you drive on doesn't mesh with the built in logic in the tranmission CPU.

All I can suggest is to have the dealer verify you have the latest firmware. If that doesn't help complain to Honda and tell them that your combination is causing excessive shifting and you would be happy to supply all the details so thier engineers can reproduce the problem.

The problem with the D3 button on the Ridgeline is it locks out both 5th and 4th gear unlike a normal overdrive which just locks out the top (overdriven) gear.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    If you look at the manual, you can see that both 4th and 5th gears are what are usually called 'overdrive' ratios. Being any ration less than 1.0.

Both 4th and 5th are less than 1.0 ratio. 3rd is 1.0.
  • bosco9bosco9 Posts: 16
    I noticed a rattle in the dash in the upper right of the steering column when I test drove my RTL. The salesman noticed it also, but the service writer and the salesman could not duplicate it.I drove it home...it was fine....but the next day it returned. Seems to only happen after the vehicle warms up. Anyone know what this could be? Bosco9 :confuse:
  • muggzmuggz Posts: 2
    Just got the ridgeline.. Please share with me some of the MPG's that some of you are getting so i can compare to mine...
    Thanks
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    As we can not verify the accuracy or intent of posted phone numbers, they are not permitted in any posts. You may post an accessory company's website, or their city/state.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • 2300 miles on my RT. 1,000 miles per week, a mix of city driving, country roads, and highways. 19MPG. Enjoy your Ridgeline.
  • Can I have the opinion of y'all on what kind of first car it is? Would you recommend it for a first car? What is the real price of the towing package? How much can it really tow, could it tow a 13 whaler? What are some of the things I need to watch out for in it? Is the in bed trunk really waterproof? Any input would be appreciated greatly.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    As for American versus Import, I've had a 2004 Titan, problems with loud exhaust, poor radio, squeaky seats, tailgate latch problems, HVAC was noisy;

Most magazines have cited the Titan as having a loud, droning exhaust. It's manufactured to sound like a "big truck" on purpose. Nissan has never had STELLAR quality, but always decent. I think the Mazda B-series was a clone of the Ford Ranger, right?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Towing: 5,000 pounds. I don't see the difference in this being a good first car or a good tenth car, sorry. I guess I don't understand the thought process there.
  • I have a question about the bed cover.
    Is it hard to remove? Can you stand on it?
    Can/will the dealer fix the bed cover so it is watertight? :confuse:
  • I've never had a problem with it frosting up, but if it did, the rear window opens with a touch of a button on the drivers door.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    It's vertical. There is about 2 inches of overhang.

I don't think usual frost will form on it very much.

If there is a lot of blowing snow or freezing rain then it would have to be swept or scraped like the side windows.

But what do I really know. Mine lives in a garage. And my state is in the middle of extensive 'global warming' extended dry spell, raging range fires, and very little winter. Trees are budding, bulb plants have sprouted 6 inches up, etc etc etc
  • im getting 17mpg hwy 13 city installed bed cover and synthic motor oil nothing changed milage !my dodge dorango did better with a 360 engine!
  • redd1redd1 Posts: 2
    Has anyone used a full nose guard on their Ridgeline. I purchased one when I took delivery of the vehicle. Rather than having the dealer install it at delivery, I decided to install it myself. As an aside, I am on my second Ody and am very familiar with installation—at least I thought I was. The thing just wouldn’t fit. After about an hour I got the thing on. Two of the straps just would not stretch far enough. I decided to take it to the dealer because something just wasn’t right. It took two of the service department staff to stretch the straps. I went on a trip and at my destination; I decided to take it off. To my shock and amazement, the thing had scratched up the vehicle pretty good (I put on 2 to 3 coats of wax/protection before putting it on). The dealer was able to buff out the scratches and replaced the nose guard but I am reluctant to put it on. I am interested in knowing if anyone else has had this experience.
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    Help. I'm in the final stages of negotiating the purchase of a Ridgeline and just found out there is no tailgate lock. The dealer has checked the local aftermarket places and they don't offer one either. Even the (expensive) Honda toneau cover has no locking mechanism.

Does anyone know of a solution. Thanks. This may be a deal breaker.
  • The dealer has checked the local aftermarket places and they don't offer one either. Even the (expensive) Honda toneau cover has no locking mechanism.

Does anyone know of a solution. Thanks. This may be a deal breaker.

No, that's not true. The Honda OEM cover does lock. I've seen it. Retrax has the best cover and I think they have a way to lock it to the gate as well. I can't believe dealers have their heads this far up their ...

You can also go to the Ridgeline owners club, and they have some clever ways of doing it. I wouldn't let it hold up your purchase.
  • Go to basickoncepts.com -- they offer a tailgate lock for the Ridgeline. They also have a pretty decent hard tonneau cover for around $300. Also, you will find a lot of good information at ridgelineownersclub.com.
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    Thanks for the help. It looks like this is fairly easily done. My deal is back on and we will be picking up a Steel Blue RTL w/moonroof on Friday. Wish it could be done sooner as we are expecting a foot of snow by tomorrow.
  • Contratulations! I also have the Steel Blue (RTS). I absolutely love this truck -- it is the most awesome vehicle I have ever owned. I know you will enjoy yours.
  • I too am getting the same mileage as you and am quite disappointed after trading in my 318 Grand Cherokee that got 18 mpg. I would like to hear from someone that can offer a solution when the dealer just tells me that it takes sometimes 15,000 miles to see better mileage from my Honda.
  • I've a similar problem with my new RTL and will have the dealer looks at it the next time I there. It looked like either bad assembly or cheap plastic expanding/contracting.

Have you got your problem fixed? Thanks.
  • travlertravler Posts: 138
    Another tip on the noisy roof rack is to be sure the cross bars are installed correctly. My friend had a pilot with noisy crossbars. The dealer installed them backwards.
  • travlertravler Posts: 138
    Gas mileage should improve after about 3 to 5,000 miles.
  • bosco9bosco9 Posts: 16
    The rattle fixed itself! The service manager heard it....and I have it in writing that should the noise return, it will be repaired. I got 19.5 MPG on my first tank.....but I am pampering her quite a bit. :)
  • redd1redd1 Posts: 2
    I have over 7000 miles on my RTL. From the first time I put gas in it up to now, after the pump shuts off and you start trickling gas in the tank, it will take another 6 to 8 gallons. It’s ok in the summer time but you freeze you butt off in the winter trying to fill the thing up. P.S. I am not talking about topping it off, just filling it up. Anyone else having this problem?
  • The OEM bed cover is not too hard to remove but you do have to climb into the front part of the bed under the cover to remove a couple of bolts. It's kind of a pain to do. You probably could stand on it but if you are more than petite I wouldn't suggest it. No, the dealer can not make it water tight due to it's design. many have tried but none have succeeded that I am aware of. Personally, I have a Retrax cover that I love. It is by far the easiest to get into and out of. It also is VERY easy to install yourself and DOES NOT require any drilling or modification to the truck like the OEM cover does. The OEM cover is a major installation undertaking and requires many large holes to be drilled into the bed walls. I am a member of www.ridgelineownersclub.com and have found an amazing amount of very credible and detailed information there. If you want to know anything about bed covers (or anything else about the Ridgeline), including installation instructions and discussions about their pros and cons from actual owners as well as water tightness, check that site out. :)