Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    I agree with you 100% on this since I have done several calculations on several occasions regarding using high octane versus low on my FX35 and yes, the lower octane actually does gets better gas mileage than the high grade gasoline. I could not afford the high octane anyways. I guess I could, but I rather not and spend that extra money on something else.
  • Options
    buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    We picked up our new Touring on Saturday. The first 1/2 tank averaged about 20 mpg driving LA to San Diego and a bit of puttering about in San Diego. I filled the 1/2 tank on the way back to LA and seem to be averaging about 19 mpg in town. Overall very pleased, happy to just use regular now. :)
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Well, I agree with you that higher octane is pretty much a waste with Ody, however it is not because higher octane fuel burns/ignites faster. Higher octane fuels actually burn/ignite slower than lower octane fuel, in order to prevent preignition in high compression engines designed to require high octane fuel.

Bottom line, however is for all vehicles that are designed to run properly on regular grades, use of high octane only drains your pocket of extra green.

For those few that are designed for better performance on high octane but are designed to run OK on regular, this higher performance is ONLY available with high octane fuel under high load conditions, which unless you live in the mountains, tow trailers, or accelerate rapidly, almost never occurs.
  • Options
    Honda has updated the mileage for the Honda Odyssey in the 2007 model, 19 mpg for city and 26 mpg for highway for EX-L and touring models. I think 20 or 21 mpg for city and 28 mpg for 2005-06 for similiar models (EX-L and touring).
  • Options
    ptysptys Member Posts: 7
    The car has just over 400 miles on it. On the first gas tank I got 20.7 mpg. It was mostly highway - I'd say 70-80% and I was really easy on it. Highway 65-75 mph, and no sudden starts at the traffic lights.

We've never had such a huge car before, so moving from a Civic/Accord this mileage seems horrible. I hope it will improve as the engine breaks in, but I realize that it won't be much better...
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Remember - it's a 2 ton refrigerator box. I'd jump for joy at almost 21 on a tight engine.
  • Options
    I got 24 mpg with 8 people in the van including luggage and AC on 80% of the time. This also includes 20% city driving. I guess this is not not too bad for a vehicle this size. Actually, come to think about it, it is much better than my old FX35, which can only sit four adults comfortably and weighs the same as the van.
  • Options
    pgroverpgrover Member Posts: 5
    Since we bought car in 2000, we've been getting 23mpg hiway on 87 octane; a/c, 2 to 5 occupants, van mostly packed full for college trips. Average speed hard to tell, as we drive thru major metro areas. But I cruise at 63-73mph. Mileage on trips may drop to 20ish if more mountain driving (Adirondacks, Green Mountains) is called for. We don't tow but do cartop (canoes, kayaks, box), which also drops mpg, I'm sure.

Local mileage more like 14 to 18. I should walk more.
  • Options
    cayennescayennes Member Posts: 12
    Got my 2006 Touring and have a few hundred kilometers on the odometer only.

The car is driven mostly city and 50-60% up/down hill as I live on a hill (in Canada) and got 12.7 mpg on the computer (18.5 l/100km).

Does that seem too far off? The ECO does comes on when the instant gas mileage is less than 10 l/100km (or above 23.52 mpg). What is the worst one time mpg?
  • Options
    joesacramentojoesacramento Member Posts: 24
    We have around 20,000 miles on our car. Finally getting consistant numbers around 18 mpg with typical kids school, soccer and other local trips. We got 24.8 mpg in late summer during a trip with mostly highway driving. Worst tank calculated out to 16.5 mpg.
  • Options
    kris995kris995 Member Posts: 23
    Like the new car but my first two tanks of gas have averaged a little over 16 mpg for mostly all city driving. This is really bad!! I thought I'd at least get around 20 mpg. At what point is a car "broken in"? Can I expect better gas mileage in the future?
  • Options
    panmaxpanmax Member Posts: 24
    I wish I had better news about mileage after break in. My gas mileage is 16-17 since the first month in an old 2002 Odyssey. Never improved after break in. This is mixed suburban and highway. No downtown driving.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    that seems very odd. maybe the timing of your vehicle or some sensor or an injector is bad and it's running extra rich.

on the highway, can you get 22+?
  • Options
    ody2007ody2007 Member Posts: 2
    Our first two tanks on the 2007 EXL have been dismal. 16.6 mpg and then 12.8 mpg.

The second tank coincided with extremely cold weather here in Chicago area causing the wife to use remote start to warm up the car before loading kids in the morning.
  • Options
    you've got to take the unit out for an extended drive. i trust the remote start / excessive idle is helping to kill the fuel efficiency. see what the hiqhway MPG is. make sure your wife is driving the vehicle more like a multiple occupancy vehicle and less like a race car. ;)
  • Options
    Where did you get your remote start installed? Was it a dealership installation? Where did you buy the part? I am thinking about putting on in my 2007 Odyssey. Thanks!
  • Options
    ody2007ody2007 Member Posts: 2
    The remote start was from the dealer when we bought the car. Our unit is nice because you don't need an extra FOB (uses Honda) and is rated with 1000 ft range.

BUT once you start the car you cannot use the remote to unlock the car and must manually unlock the car. Minor issue, I have heard other systems let you still use the remote unlock, some more research is in order.

Our 3rd tank was only 13.25 mog, but we haven't driven on the highway yet, all dropping off and picking up kids in town, idling.
  • Options
    bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    Filled up our brand new 2007 Honda EX for the first time today. We averaged about 16 miles per gallon. The first tank was all city driving(however living in Iowa we have almost no waiting around in traffic jams like other parts of the country). I was pleased with the initial number. When you figure the initial break in period and our cold weather right now which isn't good for mileage, it's not too bad a number.

What do people expect anyway? These vehicle weigh 4,500 pounds. You can only stretch the law of physics so far. The heavier a vehicle you drive the poorer your mileage is probably going to be. 20 years ago the same weight vehicle probably would have only averaged in the low teens and would have had no power.
  • Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    I have an '06 EX-L with 45K miles (yes 45K) and live in AZ where we do mostly light density suburban driving. We are getting around 24 MPG this time of year with no AC and temps in the 60-75 range. Summer AC use (full time on) sucks a mile or two out of that number.
  • Options
    sparky25sparky25 Member Posts: 2
    I find this discussion to be enlightening. I took delivery of my 2007 odyssey on 1/1 and I am averaging (4 tanks of gas) 11.9 MPG. It is stop and go, city driving but my expectation is higher than this.
  • Options
    and you are computing by hand miles driven by gallons pumped?

are your tires properly inflated? are you heavy on the accelerator and braking?

are you idling for a long time to warm up the car?

take it out on the highway for a good long trip after filling up, and when you get off, refill and do the calc by hand.

i would say the 11.9MPG sounds pretty low, but city driving being quite variable, see how the highway mileage matches up to predicted. expect to get better as the vehicle breaks in.

also, i think winter fuel formulation could negatively impact mileage.
  • Options
    stlmomstlmom Member Posts: 4
    Ok, now that we have 10,000 miles behind us here is an update: with a mix of local & highway driving (1-2 days a week on the highway) in the St. Louis metro area, we average between 17 & 20 mpg. And I drive with a gentle foot, with an eye on the ECO light. So it's not horrible, but disappointing as this is about what our old Pontiac Montana mpg was, and we bought the EX-L for the alleged mileage improvement. :confuse:
  • Options
    jmoothjmooth Member Posts: 12
    I'm getting 22 mpg combined. Kind of disappointing, especially since my 2006 Sienna got 24. I was hoping VCM would've at least equaled the Toyota. My numbers are hand-calculated.
  • Options
    sparky25sparky25 Member Posts: 2
    Tires are inflated perfectly. my wife drives carefully - not with a heavy foot. We do spend time in idling in front of schools but isn't that what they consider when calculating city mileage?

I called the Honda dealer and was told that it would improve considerably after a 5k break-in period. I find it hard to believe that the break-in period will yeild more than a couple of mpg.
  • Options
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

is how they test.

I highly doubt the EPA test includes idling for more than a light cycle.

As for the increase in MPG at 5K - Hondas are known for improvements in fuel economy as they break in.
  • Options
    bikechuckbikechuck Member Posts: 15
    I had my first fill up on my 2007 Odyssey Ex today. Driving in Central Ohio, mostly short trips in the city I averaged 14.5 MPG.

I am a very conservative driver with gradual starts and stops. Hopefully this will improve after the initial break in.

Other than that I like the car so far. The only other thing that I was a bit surprised by is that the transmission does not shift as smoothly as my old Dodge Grand Caravan. I do not really care about that too much as long as I get a good long life out of the transmission.

Does anyone else feel that the transmission on the 2007 is not as smooth as what you expected? I would like to make sure that this is a "feature" and not a "problem" with my vehicle.

Thanks
  • Options
    babsy2babsy2 Member Posts: 9
    Had this car since Nov 2006 - great car BUT MPG has been averaging 14 to 14.5 mpg. ECO light comes on and off as it's supposed to....took it to dealer today and they say without codes or check engine light, they can't determine what the problem is. I use good quality regular gas, mostly short trips, Northern NJ - no change whether outdoor temps are in the 60s or the teens....Anyone have any thoughts?
  • Options
    "mostly short trips".

how short is short?
  • Options
    To and from school twice a day (2 miles each way) -and during the rest of the day we're doing from 20-30 miles averaging 40-60mph. Tires properly inflated, no heavy loads. Using Shell, Exxon-Mobil and Gulf regularly, and using Regular octane, of course. Have not yet taken it on a long trip (more than 60 miles each way).
  • Options
    skap2skap2 Member Posts: 34
    Have our new Odyssey touring for 2 weeks now. No heavy loading, one small child and no luggage, driving in cold NE. Mileage in suburban driving has averaged 11-14 mpg, highway about 18-20.

I've read this forum, and I have to say this is obscene. I know driving habits and conditions vary, but most Odyssey drivers are families and therefore overall group driving habits should not differ significantly. Honda advertises 20/28, and that's simply a flat out lie. I don't care what the EPA test model was, and now that we're in the Odyssey world a lot of other owners have told us that everyone knows Honda lies about gas mileage. Odyssey gas mileage is what vast majority of owners experience, and that seems clearly to be in the 13-17/19-23 range. As usual, truth does't sell as well as fiction. We otherwise are very pleased with the Odyssey but this is shameful. We could have gotten a Land Rover for not much more money and comparable fuel efficiency.
  • Options
    We had the '99 Odyssey for 7 years and never had this kind of mpg problem....thought switching to the new '07 would be the same mileage, if not better (16-18 locally). 13-14 is not acceptable. I have no doubt the problem lies in the ECO system, which is supposed to shut down the 6 cylinders to 3 when coasting. My personal opinion is this is at the root of my problem, and I will continue to pursue with my dealer. It would be nice if they offered to take it on a test drive to check the ECO system, but the service manager says that would not tell them anything. Next step will be to leave it for a day and have them get on the phone with HONDA tech support to see if they have any clues. But I agree that we all could have gotten other vehicles if we wanted this kind of poor mpg.
  • Options
    Well whether you like it or not, the EPA test is what is used for comparison - no where does it say they promise you'll get this much mileage. Honda is not lying - they are posting on the window sticker what the EPA tells them to.

I'm in New England as well. Keep in mind that the fuel we use in the winter knocks down MPG by about 10%. Cold weather affects it as well. Driving styles differ - not every suburban family drives the same. You have a 2 week old van - it'll break in and improve as well.

Remember, you're driving a 2 ton refrigerator box.
  • Options
    We'll be patient and see what happens...FYI our '07 is going on three months old, though, not two weeks old.
  • Options
    yukondutchyukondutch Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 EX and average 12-15 in town and 19-22 on the highway. This is by far the worst performance against EPA numbers I have seen from any car I've owned. I will place my hope in the break-in improvement, but I'm well past 5k and haven't seen anything yet. A good car otherwise, but this is a big disappointment.
  • Options
    We won't convince each other. I'm sure that's what Honda would say, and I don't even challenge that 20/28 was demonstrated in an EPA test. But based on my experience, reading this forum and other forums, there are a lot of us out there. It's like when airlines advertise a cut rate fare but then you call and discover there are about 3 seats at that fare. Point is, regardless of EPA, Honda knows or should know that many (perhps most ?) owners will achieve significantly worse fuel efficency than the "EPA" average. BTW, sticker on my car says most people will experience 16-22 city and 22-30 hwy. Well for now we're at 13/19
  • Options
    Point is, regardless of EPA, Honda knows or should know that many (perhps most ?) owners will achieve significantly worse fuel efficency than the "EPA" average.

But under EPA guide lines, they can't print anything on that sticker other than the EPA results. You can't fault Honda for that.

Also, your vehicle is only 2 weeks old. Hondas are notorious for taking up to 10K miles to achieve maximum MPG. Give it time - it will improve. Trust me, I know. Our 2000 Ody was giving us around 12-14 mpg for the first few months. We now get a regular 17-18 in the city and 22 on highway trips which is perhaps one or two MPG below the EPA sticker.
  • Options
    OK Robr2, since you promised I'll wait before issing final verdict ! Glad to hear it improved for you. Otherwise we love the Ody
  • Options
    jr11jr11 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our 07 EX-L in Nov 06 and my wife is the primary driver. She averages 18-20 MPG in mixed city/highway driving. We traded her 04 CR-V EX for the van and she averaged 20-22 MPG with it. We took a 500 mile trip back in Dec and I drove the whole time. We averaged 25 MPG.

I've been reading this forum, as well as others, for a long time but this is my first time replying to a message. Based on what I've read over the years, I work to keep the rpm's under 2500 and keep the eco light on as much as possible. I'm probably the slowest person off the line from a stop light but when I'm driving the van I'm in no hurry to reach my final destination. On the highway I don't use the cruise and drive between 70-75 mph.

This is the biggest vehicle that my wife or I have owned so we've had to adjust to that but it didn't take long and we LOVE the Van.
  • Options
    I noticed in the local paper that when Toyota is advertising their minivans now they have 15 city and 20 Hwy. I thought it was a typo first, but it's been that way a month now. I'm guessing probably a reflection of the new federal regulations? The Honda's are the same size, so I suspect their numbers will be very similar.

I'm not sure why people get so upset about this? Yeah you can buy a vehicle that will get better mileage, but it will probably be 2/3 the size of the Honda. We loved our old Buick car. It was quieter and would regularly get close to 30 MPG on the highway, but we outgrew it with three little kids in car seats. We love out Honda EX. So much more convienent for our needs and you can haul a small bedroom in the thing. Okay the mileage isn't the greatest, but I'm doubtful any other minivan of comparable size will get significantly better MPG.

The Cylinder de activation systems look like a dud feature to me. I know when we were looking it sounded cool, but at the back of my mind I thought it's new technology that's not well proven yet and just has the potential for a lot of problems until they get the bugs worked out. It sure looks that way to me from the many posts I see on this site about those engines. Glad we passed on that one...
  • Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    With 21,000 miles on our 2004 Ody, we have been getting 17-19 mpg with our daily driving. Since I knew we had to drive from Sacramento to Fresno and back yesterday (~400 miles), I changed the oil and serviced the transmission this weekend. We got 27 MPG driving at 70 mph most of the way. This is up from the 16 mpg when it was new and the best of ~25 mpg during a trip last summer. I expect our new Pilot (18 mpg best) will improve with time also.
  • Options
    bikechuckbikechuck Member Posts: 15
    I think that the problem, and this is not restricted to Honda by any means, is that people feel betrayed and that there might be something wrong with their particular vehicle when it gets much lower mileage than what is indicated on the window sticker.

There should be "truth in advertising" so people can make more informed choices.

As I said this problem is not restricted to Honda.
  • Options
    hummerodysseyhummerodyssey Member Posts: 1
    I have to say as upset as I am about our mileage (No better than 14mpg for the first 2500 miles) I am so glad to find that I'm not the only one. It does make me insane that the dealership in Charlottesville VA, Brown Honda, treats me like I'm crazy. Clearly this is not news to Honda or their dealers. I'm also upset that I can no longer point at the Hummers out there, I'm now part of the problem, when I fully intended to try and be part of the solution. I also didn't understand that ULEVII emmission rating are only offered in the states that it's required. My car is barely above average for it's emmissions rating on top of embarassingly low gas mileage. This is one expensive lesson to learn for me and the environment. Environmentology is defined as the study of corporate claims of environmental responsibility or benefits for their truth and accuracy. An environmentologist would find Honda totally full of it.
  • Options
    and what are you getting on the HWY?
  • Options
    azfj60azfj60 Member Posts: 15
    Window sticker is one thing, but they're sales literature is practically gushing about how you can go over 500 miles on a tankful, and bragging about 21/28 MPG. They knowingly pimped the EPA numbers to their advantage with full knowledge that it was BS.
  • Options
    stlmomstlmom Member Posts: 4
    No kidding! 500 miles? A joke. I am not comfortable putting 400 miles on one tank - the Low Fuel Light comes on. I thought the EX-L "cylinder management" would improve the gas mileage over our old Pontiac Montana but is has not. Really disappointing...turned me off on Hondas. :mad:
  • Options
    I've run across a few people who have gotten close to 500 miles out of a tank. Most of them are well broken in and it's all highway driving. If you were top off the tank, drive with out stopping at 55 mph(that's what the EPA # are based off of) you might be able to do it.

I'll take the Honda any day over the Montana. Maybe the mileage isn't any better, but you floor the Honda, it will go. Do the same think to the Pontiac and it seems a lot slower to me.
  • Options
    justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    We could have gotten 500 miles out of one tank. All highway driving at 70 mph in our 2004. We got 27 mpg. One of the most important things you can do is replace the air filter. Honda recommends "cleaning" it at 15,000 miles and replace at 30,000. Replace it at 15,000 with a good quality filter. Mileage should start to improve after 10,000 miles of break-in.
  • Options
    esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that we got 27.6 MPG on a recent trip we took that used about 3/4 tank of gas. 90% or more interstate miles, with tires inflated to about 38PSI with nitrogen (Costco apparently does this now).
  • Options
    chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    We have 14,000 miles on the '06 Touring and have settled in at 15 around town and 22-23 on the highway. Must be LFS (lead foot syndrome). :cry:
  • Options
    printer2printer2 Member Posts: 7
    We have the same, 06EXL purchased Nov 06. Same comments, Love the ODY but really upset about the poor mileage. Around town it 15 MPG and with Highway maybe 17.
    We have a 01 Mercury Grand Marquis with a big V8 and get the same or better mileage, so its not only the EPA ratings but the comparisons.
    What do we do? Class action suit?