Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Replace HID headlights with Halogen headlights

doug7747doug7747 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2016 in Mitsubishi
I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS. It has factory HID headlights. Replacement parts are ridiculously expensive in my judgement.

I have seen conversion kits to replace standard headlights with HID systems. Can I do the reverse, replace HID headlights with halogen headlights ?

Do you know of any sources and approximate cost ?
+++++++++++

If this is not practical, what is the best solution ? I have tried a new bulb [forget the designation number], but that did not work. I do not trust any of the listings on eBay that I see for ballast/igniter, since I am completely unfamiliar with these systems.

Thanks, Doug

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    I would just live with it, and buy my parts from a reliable discounter like rock auto.
  • doug7747doug7747 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Texases,

I forgot about Rock Auto. Just checked, and they have the bulbs, but not the ballast. I have tried the bulb and that is not the problem, it is a failed ballast. The dealers do not fix the headlight, the replace the entire headlight assembly for $800 plus labor [not an option].

I have not found any local supply places in Charlotte, NC. Most of the internet sources do not have a phone number. I have purchased other electrical items from Asian suppliers, and their products did not work. Have given up on foreign suppliers.

I will try to phone Rock Auto and ask if they have ballasts, but I am not hopeful if it is not in their menu.

Any other thoughts ?

Thanks, Doug
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited December 2016
    eBay has 'em, $50-$60 bucks used with one year warranty. Seller has 99% positive reviews.

BALLAST

Come back and let Texases and I know how it worked out for you.