Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Challenger 2008 and Later

Comments

• I have been a chevy guy my entire life, until now. I have never seen such a retro design incorporate the technical detail as Mopar has with the Challenger. I was too young to appreciate the pony war when it was at its peek and I feel like I might get my chance. I know people don't want to hear comparisons all the time, well too bad. Being a chevy fan and looking at the Camaro concept, I must say it is a hot car. However, when I compare the interior detail of the Camaro to the Challenger it isn't fair. Fair to the Camaro that is. The fact that they incorporated the dash as a telemetry is cool, but when they gave the readouts the shape of an engine block was ingenious. I don't know if anyone else feels the same about the LED Six Shooter headlights but I think it screams REBEL especially with the pistol grip stick shift. :surprise:
  • upuautupuaut Posts: 14
    The 70-74 Challenger and Barracuda shared no body panels, although they do look very similar.

Joe
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,206
    I was too young to appreciate the pony war when it was at its peek and I feel like I might get my chance.

I think that is why the Challenger, the Mustang GT maybe GT500) and the Camaro somewhat, are getting the rave reviews. They are allowing people like yourself, who were too young in the pony & muscle car era to get a chance to relive it.

Plus it is allowing kats and kittens like me, who missed it all together, to be able to purchase a vehicle that really represents that time. We all don't want Scions, Tiburons and Civics. With people / organizations like Kruse, Barret-Jackson and others jacking the prices for the old iron into the stratosphere I'm never going be able to afford a muscle-car era one.
  • upuautupuaut Posts: 14
    Shipo is right, a 3000 lb v6 challenger is not going to happen. Even a BMW 330 has a curb weight around 3450 lb. the trouble with making a lightweight modern car is all the extra stuff cars are packed with compared to 1970. Air conditioning, power windows, power door locks, air bags, safety beams in doors, ETC all these things we take for granted in modern cars add weight, and it all adds up. Take for example my 1970 340 4 speed challenger, With a full tank of gas it has a curb weight of 3480 lb. Now I have got some lightweight components on it compared to stock like aluminim wheels and intake manifold and a few other items so factory stock it would weight about 3550 lb. Compare that to the proposed 2008 challenger, roughly same size V8 (the Hemi I think is even a little lighter than the LA small blocks)and it's estimated weight is about 4000 lb. the 450 lb diffrence is all modern convenience, safety and pollution items, IMO.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Ya know, the Mustang is looking good and RWD, but to Hyundai's credit, that Tiburon is sharp - very sharp. I am over 50 yrs of age, and do like the designs of the later 60's cars. Would consider a Mustang. That said, I also appreciate change when change means improvement. If the Tiburon was RWD and a tad lighter, or had a few more ponies under the hood, it would be a really larger contender. Not too bad as is. Scion tC is sort of interesting and the Civic in the coupe looks sharp indeed. Once again, those wanting RWD won't find it though in these cars. Once you own a RWD car, like say a Miata, you will see and feel the difference. I have owned a couple Mustangs and a Miata. Pony cars are not close to the handling of the Miata class of cars, but they have their own appeal.

Hyundai is working on a RWD sports car coupe. So now comes an interesting choice between a modern looking and presumably handling car, vs. the retro. I would consider both as good choices. We live in the future, so why not a good new car? Wasn't the 2004 a good Mustang- I think it had its good points. If a new car comes along, large enough to fit a bigger boy into and have room Americans expect inside, with good gas mileage, handling and looks, it too may be considered a Pony car. I wish the Challenger and Camaro were smaller and lighter, and had good V6 engines- modern and fuel efficient. We shall see.

Loren
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,206
    Loren,

Oh I agree. I actually like the current Tiburon (really disliked the previous gen, too sharky for me - I even liked the Scoupe, remember that one?) and the tC. Maybe I wasn't clear as I might have sounded like I was bashing the vehicle, sorry bout that.

The Tiburon actually has a bodyline similar to a 456GT and has some Ferrariesque cues to it; I think it is a really tight pacakge. The tC looks robust without being piggy-like and have heard many great things about them from their owners. Even visited the Scion site, and the mods / accessories that can be added is really endless; almost seems to taking over some of the older Civic's territory somewhat. If I was in the market for a small runabout, those two would be on my list (actually made it when doing a "dream" list").

But a first-gen Miata with a 5-liter conversion still tops that list though ;)
  • pagilpagil Posts: 1
    If its a narrow lighter car you want, then stay away from the muscle cars...especially the Challeger. The Challenger is coming back with a vengeance...stand back!
    Very odd that the modern day rendition of Pony car is as large as a Lincoln Town Car - oh well, to each his or her own, as they say. The Mustang '04 or current is about as large and heavy as needed.

The Challenger was a very nicely shaped automobile. The new one looks pretty good. Better than say 1970- not sure about that one. I take it these are indeed not Pony wars people are really speaking of, but rather HP wars. The same people that a few months ago wanted a bigger and more powerful SUV, now seek out the neo-muscle cars. Usually more HP than they can handle considering current high speed wrecks, at least in my area.

Loren
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Very odd that the modern day rendition of Pony car is as large as a Lincoln Town Car..."

I assume that you are deliberately exaggerating to make a point here, because by all accounts, the new Challenger will be somewhere around two feet shorter than the newer and relatively smaller Town Car. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 14siera14siera Posts: 1
    I cant wait untill the new challenger comes out. this car is freakin beautiful. It looks so much like the old cudas and challengers with a little new flavor. I've read that if they put them into production and sales are good the first year(wich thats a given) that the second year they might drop a 6.4 litter 392 hemi in it. Pushin 510hp. that will be bad [non-permissible content removed]. I cant [non-permissible content removed] wait to be barkin tires down main street in one of these.

14siera
    Lincoln width = 78.2 in.
    Challenger Concept car = 78.6 in.

Now that is fairly wide :surprise:

Loren
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    2006 Audi A3 width = 77.1"

I'm thinking that a cars' width isn't a real good relative measurement of size. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • HI EVERYBODY,
    I'M NEW ON THE BLOCK HERE,AND I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND MY CAPITALS , I'M NOT YELLING , ONLY TELLING. HOKAHE IS RIGHT,THEY WILL COME. I THINK WHAT CHRYSLER IS DOING ALL AROUND IS PERFECT WITH MILD FLAWS. I LOOK AT CHRYSLER AS AN ICON AND IT HAS BEEN TAKING BACK SEAT TO OTHER CAR COMPANIES FAR TOO LONG.THROUGH THE YEARS THEY HAVE TAKEN THIS BACK SEAT IN THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WITH LITTLE RESPECT FROM THE CONSUMER.WHY ? BECAUSE SOME THINK THEY HAVE INFERIOR PRODUCT TO COMPETE DUE TO FALSE PROPAGANDA AND CONSUMER BASHING. IT GOES WITH WHAT I THINK OF AS MOMENTOM OF A FALSE CLAIM.FORD AND GM GOT AN EARLIER START IN SOME RESPECT BUT THAT DOESN'T ALONG WITH FOREIGN COMPETITION MAKE THEM A BETTER PRODUCT. I KNOW WHAT I OWN AND IT BEEN CHRYSLER. YOU SEE, I'M FOR THE LAST GUY ON THE LINE BECAUSE SOME DAY I BELIEVE THEY WILL BE FIRST WITH ALL RESPECT TO THOSE WHO READ THIS AND YOUR PREFERANCES. CHRYSLER ROCKS!! AND BY THE WAY......SAY WHAT YOU WILL ( IF NEGATIVE),I'LL NEVER CHANGE MY VIEW. :) THE HEMI LIVES!
    Those capitalized sentences are very hard to read. Chrysler 300 and other products are quite interesting. It seems that my brand new PT is using oil. I asked about trading it in on another car and got a ridiculously low offer. Seems that once you buy a Chrysler you are stuck, so be sure you do not wish to trade up, or get another car if yours is not up to expectations. That's life I guess, I should know better. You buy the big three maker cars used, and Japanese cars new. I know better, yet the deal seemed pretty dang good at the time. All in all, it was cheap enough, I suppose. They have replaced a noisy fan on the car with another noisy fan - whoopie. Considering the problems posted by owners of the 300, with so many pulling to the right and V8 problems, I am no longer interested in the Challenger, even if it wasn't so damned wide. I may get a used Mustang, say the 2004, which was a good year for reliability. I have owned GM product, so the Camaro in not likely to be on the list.

-Loren
  • I can't wait until the Challenger's are out. Muscle cars are back with a vengenance. With all the blah blah blah about the Mustang, the Challenger should wipe it off the road and then some. Never been a Mustang fan and after riding in one, I view is still the same. Its a pony tryin to be a stallion. Was looking at the Dodge Charger SRT8 but just can't get past the 4 doors. Am going to try to baby the vehicle I have now in order to get the Challenger. Finally, a car to live up to the muscle!!!!!!
  • happy11happy11 Posts: 1
    I first seen a picture in Popular Mechanics and it looked hot. When the 2006 Ford Mustang appeared I wanted one but I can wait on the new Dodge Challenger and save my money. :)
  • cheech3cheech3 Posts: 2
    the old mustang looks like a jelly bean worst why dont you get the gaywod gto while you re at it
  • I am a big Mopar and Pontiac fan and have been all my life until 1999. Why 1999, because I purchased a new 99 Mustang GT. You dont have to bash a good car just to raise another car up. I may wait for the new Challenger instead of purchasing a new Shelby GT 500 it is going to be a difficult decision.
    If nothing else you have to give it to the Ford guys for staying with the program. They were the first to go retro and they have the record for the longest running American sports car in production, 1964 to 2006 without a break.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "...and they have the record for the longest running American sports car in production, 1964 to 2006 without a break."

I think the Corvette has the Mustang beat by more than a decade...and yes, Chevy DID build some '83 model 'Vettes...
    For the records, Corvette is considered Americas sports car, the Mustang Americas pony car, the Challenger, Barracuda, AMX and Javelins were pony cars. The GTO was a muscle car. The current GTO is an Australian Holden, with lots of power provided by the Corvette engine, and appears to be of good quality. No, I personally would not have called it by the GTO nameplate, but it is a good import for what it is. Nothing I need, but non-the-less it works for many people. It is aero dynamic, as are most cars, so I assume to some it's shape is jelly bean, whatever that means. It is not a box - true.

If the new Challenger is available only in the $35K version with the Hemi, it will be a new muscle specialty car. If available in more flavors, it is a pony car. The pony car may the drag street car, sporty everyday driver car, race track car, or a muscle car. Mustang is all of these. If you want handling and power Corvette is great choice. If you want a four seater, with lots of HP, the Holden GTO Pontiac does the job just fine.

If we are talking about Challenger only as a muscle car, we may be overlooking a large part of the cars past. And in my opinion, a lighter, narrower car which is lighter is the way to go. Performance with a smaller engine will provide speed with better gas mileage and the car will be around for more years to come. If they do not build with gas into the $3.50 a gallon or more price considerations, they may be creating a modern day dinosaur without really knowing it. Chrysler/Dodge needs a smaller car which is RWD anyway. Build the new Challenger on this new chassis.

As for style, the long hood, and short deck which signifies power and sportiness, this came along years before the pony car. The Stang, Challenger, and Camaro are all similar in respect to overall profile. Best choice will be the car which fits the individuals needs in a car. It may be a V6 or the V8, a 16" wheel or those show car bling-bling 20" wheels for the tuner crowd. In the end, the car which has more to offer in all flavors will be the most successful sales wise.

-Loren
This discussion has been closed.