Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Civic Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• Options
    mwsmws Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    Have been reading all the milage posts with interest, and thought I would give my experiences. I own a '05 HCH, manual trans. 22,800 miles and life time adverage is 52.6 MPG.
    The tire pressure increase is very helpful, I run 38- 40 PSI, and although I can't claim a 72 mpg for a tankful, I can boast a weeks high of 63.5. for 250+ miles , mostly I see 50-55 MPG. I drive the car very much like a " normal" car.
    My goal is to get from stop to 5th gear as quickly as practical. Of course I coast for very long distances to stop whenever I can. I always charge the batteries by downshifting while finally coming to a stop.
    I have found that I need to stay away from 10% ethanol fuels, as my MPG always slips when I do use them, sometimes as much as 10% or more.
    Not using the AC is a standard, but if the wife is with me, we break that rule.
    Absolutely no problems with the car whatsoever. :)
  • Options
    andrzej1andrzej1 Member Posts: 1
    Figured I'd share this info. :)

I just completed 54,000 miles on this car which I've now had just over 2 1/2 years. Mileage at the very beginning was around 38 mpg, rarely getting more than 500 miles per tank. Today, I consistently get over 600 miles per tank, and average 45 mpg using the trip B counter which turns over every 10,000 miles. I once got 680 miles, and I've set myself the goal to one day get 700 miles. I realize conditons have to be perfect, and it can only happen in the spring or fall when not using the AC. During the cold months the average drops to about 41 or 42 mpg.

My work commute is 60 miles round trip, in arguably the worst traffic in the USA, that is Washington, DC, Northern Virginia and Maryland.

Th local dealership has been consistenly very good in servicing the vehicle and even though, once or twice, I was pressured into the "dealer service" as opposed to "the factory recommended service", I made it clear, I do not appreciate the pressure, and they have desisted.

With the 54,000 mile service I changed all the tires for the first time. I have never before got over 50,000 miles on a set of tires. I was also expecting to change out the front disc brakes, but the service manager said I'm good for at least another 10,000 miles. The rear drums are apparently good for about 80,000 miles.

The interior of car has stood up well. I'm 6' 4" tall and weigh 226 lbs. Even the driver seat has held up remarkably to my weight, and I've never felt cramped or without adequate headroom, or legroom.

I can wholeheartedly say that this has been the best car I've had from a mechanical, and comfort standpoint.

Our two children 9 and 11 are now getting to that age where the back is getting a little cramped, especially with my having to push the seat back and recline the seatback.

If Honda ever gets its act together to make a hybrid CRV I'll be one of their first customers. Otherwise, if they procrastinate I may have to go with a Toyota hybrid SUV, Highlander. I've thought about the Ford Escape, but I'm concerned about reliability and longevity. I like to keep cars for at least 5 years, and preferably until they die, 200,000 miles+.

I was lucky to get into the hybrid mode at a time when there were IRS tax incentives and in Maryland no sales tax on hybrids. At the time I purchased the hybrid we also got an identical one for my wife, so we doubled up on our savings.

During this last year's horrendous gas prices, I did not feel the pinch. Frankly, I'm so sold on the hybrids I don't understand why eveyone isn't driving them.
  • Options
    tigerhonakertigerhonaker Member Posts: 40
    That was a very interesting Post you shared with me. Thanks and I am glad you are enjoying your Hybrid. I really Like my HCH II. It is great.

Terry (Tiger)
  • Options
    danielrdanielr Member Posts: 8
    I just completed my first fill-up on my new 07 HCH. Before diving into the numbers, a bit of background. I live in a valley off a high plateau here in Austin. So every trip to and from my home involves multiple steep climbs and descents - 325 foot elevation changes at 17-23% grades. With that profile I had achieved 17 MPG in a Lexus GS 300 and 23 MPG in an Accord 4 cyl.

For my Hybrid, I got 40.6 MPG and I am just thrilled with that figure. I am sure I can due a bit better as I learn more, but I won't ever get the high 40s due to the hills. But I do love this car. It is one of the best cars I have ever had - even forgetting that it is a Hybrid.

Dan
  • Options
    joegreenjoegreen Member Posts: 8
    I'm down to a quarter of a tank and only at about 230 miles.

My overall average is 32.6 mph, only about 25% of that is highway.

My high score so far, 44.3 MPGs on the highway.

The dealer said I would reallize the full mileage potential under after at least 1,000 miles.

I hope that's true.
  • Options
    You're averaging 40.6, or that is your high?

I'm having quite a different experience and I drive on fairly level ground.

My 230 mile average is 32.6.
  • Options
    jdmcmahjdmcmah Member Posts: 9
    Hello Everyone,

I'm proud to say I just picked up my first Honda- a 2007 Civic Hybrid last night. However, I on the 70 mile combined drive to home from the dealer and to work this morning, I'm seeing FAR below the EPA estimated 49/51 MPG... We're talking LOW 30's.

Is there a breaking-in period on the Civic like there is on the Prius?

I've been accelerating like a grandma, taking my foot off the gas whenever I anticipate a stop, and setting the cruise at 70.

Thanks!
    J :blush:
  • Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'm proud to say I just picked up my first Honda- a 2007 Civic Hybrid last night. However, I on the 70 mile combined drive to home from the dealer and to work this morning, I'm seeing FAR below the EPA estimated 49/51 MPG... We're talking LOW 30's.

Is there a breaking-in period on the Civic like there is on the Prius?

I've been accelerating like a grandma, taking my foot off the gas whenever I anticipate a stop, and setting the cruise at 70.

Thanks!
    J :blush:
  • Options
    I just went through my first tank of gas on my 07 Civic and had the same results.

After inflating the PSI to 39, driving extremely conservatively (coasting, using the cruise whenever possible, etc.) I got 32.8 MPGs on the first tank.

The dealer told me there is a break-in period of at least 1,000 miles, but frankly I don't see what sort of break-in would cause a drastic change in MPG's.

I think on long trips, on level ground, you might see mileage in the mid-forties, but the average will still stay around 30-35 MPGS.

From what I read, the 05-06 Civics got a little better mileage.

I just don't see how the 07 hybrid could reach 50mpgs like some claim. I've driven in many different conditions in the first 400 miles, and my high is 44.3 mpgs on the freeway (and that was the high, the average was in the 30's)

The sticker says "up to" 49/51, and I think "up to" is the key phrase.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    My first tank in my 2004 HCH was only 37 MPG but I ended up with a lifetime figure of 48 MPG.

Hang in there - you will learn how to use the instruments to max your MPG - give it some time.....be patient....
  • Options
    karldogkarldog Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2004 hch, 30,000+ miles. always got 42-48 mpg. wife took car back east (we live n salt lake) to a temp job assignment in dc. her trip there she got 45 mpg. week ago she put new tires on it. all season, 65,000 mile tires. since then she has only got about 38-40 mpg. started her trip back home and is still only getting that. she is very conscience about getting good mileage. slow starts, etc. but this is mainly interstate driving that she is doing. hardly ever goes over 70 mph. no check engine light. air pressure okay. a little headwind and some cold temperatures.

any ideas?
  • Options
    If the tires are not the same as the original OEM tires, you are going to lose MPG because of the new tires.

The OEM tires are classified as "Low Rolling Resistance" tires which means they are easier for the car to "push" down the road.

Other tires which are not LRR tires will cause the car to lose MPG because of the extra effort of pushing the tires. In addition, the rubber is thicker on new tires and that adds more rolling resistance until the tires are broken in well after a few thousand miles.

Nothing wrong, it's just normal to lose MPG when you change tires and get new tires.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    jdmcmah,

You wrote that you just picked up your car last night and set the cruise control on 70 mph for a 70 mile drive.

That's never a good idea with a brand new engine. Your first 600 miles should be at varying speeds, not using cruise control. It probably explains that in your Owner's Manual.

Also, speeding at 70 mph will burn significantly more fuel than traveling at more modest speeds.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "That's never a good idea with a brand new engine. Your first 600 miles should be at varying speeds, not using cruise control. It probably explains that in your Owner's Manual. "

It is an interesting point, but my last several cars have not really addressed the "break in" period. I have been careful in the first 1000 miles anyway, with each vehicle. But I would not assume that all cars have such instructions in their owner's manual.
  • Options
    Hi Blane,

Thanks for the insight. I did check the manual and the only reference to breaking in the vehicle was to avoid hard breaking for the first 200 miles and to avoid rapid acceleration for the first 600 miles.
  • Options
    elkhairelkhair Member Posts: 2
    I have a '03 HCH with CVT with 80,000 miles on it. Live in Colorado. For the life of the car I have averaged about 43 MPG. Findings:
    1) You will get better gas mileage in warmer weather
    2) AC cuts down your mileage
    3) MPG readout in my car is usually 3-4 MPG above real world
    4) I fill up mostly at the same station and use the same pump for consistency and calculate after reach tankful
    5) I have only a handfull of tankfuls that averaged less than 40 mpg, and those were in the 39's, and that was in very cold or very rainy weather
    6) Worse traction in rain cuts MPG
    7) Mileage improved up through the first 5-7,000 miles then leveled off
    8) Only was have I ever averaged more than 50 mpg on a tank: 50.1
    9) Good mileage for me is 46 mpg; bad is 40-41.
    HCH has been a superb car. Oil change, new wipers, no other part has ever broken.
  • Options
    davem7davem7 Member Posts: 35
    From 11-05 to 11-06, my 2006 HCH averaged 52MPG for just over 32,000 miles.

Since 01-27-07 it is down to 47MPG for just under 2600 miles.

This is without doubt due to the very harsh winter in Western New York. Night temperatures have averaged about +10F and winds are commonly 20-25mph, driving habits and travel routes have been consistent.

I'm not surprised by the reduced FE and am confident it will return to normal with warmer weather.

The point is that if you're driving a HCH for the first time in wintry conditions, don't be discouraged by lower than expected FE, it will improve.

One other note. The fuel consumption indicator(trip average) is very accurate. It usually reads 1 to 1.5MPG lower than the measured amount. If it reads 50.5MPG the measured amount will be 51.5-52.0MPG. This is the recall version of the tachometer module, the original was useless.
  • Options
    michaelfinsmichaelfins Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Chiming in on the mileage issue. I've had my HCH for almost a year now (2006). I live in Florida. Mileage is about 45 mph when I drive responsibly. I am sure that my grandma (RIP) could get 48.
    3 observations:
    1) Get your windows tinted. When sitting at stop lights in the summer, the A/C drains the battery.
    2) Don't use cruise control unless you are on perfectly flat terrain. You should allow for some deceleration on the up hills. Cruise control will use excessive fuel to maintain speed.
    3) I have noticed no mileage variance from 60-75. I know this defies the laws of physics, but the main determinant of mileage is in how little you vary your demand on the engine. Put your foot on the pedal and keep it in one place.

In the city, I get about 42. I can get up to 50 on the highway, depending on wind, terrain, etc. Problems? Driver side window goes up crooked sometimes. FM radio sometimes just does not play. I have to stop/restart the engine to correct it.
    Otherwise, great car.
  • Options
    hchybridhchybrid Member Posts: 12
    Tire inflation make a big difference and traffic lights and weather temperature.

I don't see too many people in Chicago claiming 50mpg...

The auto-stop feature also is worth 3 to 4 mpg if your route is through traffic lights. Just before you hit the stop line - make sure you switch your A/C OFF for a moment - that guarantees the auto-stop will kick in.

You have to coach yourself to avoid really harsh bursts of acceleration off traffic lights too - gradual is better.

I routinely average 43 to 46 in the hellish traffic around Wash DC. I can get 48 to 50 if I'm just doing highway in middle of the day in summer.
  • Options
    civicpridecivicpride Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I am the proud new owner of a used 2004 HCH(MT). I'm still having fun learning how to drive it for mileage (50MPG on 1st day, then mid-50's, now ~60). I have noticed that the high-mileage people seem to be very detail-oriented. Here are some more details that might be useful. Many of the high-mileage people say they live in hilly areas with long commutes (as do I), which probably gets the most benefit from the hybrid technology. I also think I am seeing a trend with the seal of the gas filler cap. If/when I have wiped the cap (dirty T-shirt), and tightened it the recommended number of clicks, those have been my highest mileage tanks. So, are the hybrid mileage claims hype or hyper? It depends.
  • Options
    In answer to your question regarding FE (fuel economy) Hype or hyper. The Very Elite {Hypermilers} which are a very select group of people that their world on a daily basis revolves around FE. They as in the numbers Posted are for real but few people will attain these numbers.

Reason, you have to care more about the FE numbers than getting to where you are going. I could go on but there really is no-point here at all.

If you are truly ready to make the sacrifice for the ultimate FE then do a Google Search under Hypermilers and I think that will get you to the Forums that deal with that subject. I can make an attempt here to say the name of one such forum, cleanmpg If this stays in this Post you will have all the Info. you ever could dream of in this Life-Time.

Good Luck,

Terry (tigerhonaker)
  • Options
    I had that EXACT CAR - the 2004 HCH manual tranny.

I got a lifetime 48.2 MPG in it for the 29,000 or so miles I owned it.

Learn the tips and tricks which can be found on the web and you will get great MPG if you want to.

Good Luck !!
  • Options
    Thanks. I have already done some searches for driving tips. Did I read on a post that you now drive a Camry Hybrid? If so, how do you like it?
  • Options
    I love my TCH. Better, bigger and more luxo than the HCH, and with two growing kids, I needed a little bit larger car.

Miss that 12 MPG I lost in the conversion though !!! :D
  • Options
    Like I said, it depends.

My commute is 80 miles one way. I might as well have something to do to pass the time (much better than thinking about some of the idiot driving I see every day).

I haven't looked forward so much to driving since I sold my motorcycle (Kawasaki Z-1).
  • Options
    floodgatefloodgate Member Posts: 1
    Found tghis site via a Yahoo! infobox, and have signed up.

Wer got a 1994 Honda Civic Hybrid (manual transmission) Aug. 1, 2004, after our previous Honda Civic Hatchback was totaled in a head-on (AIRBAGS WORK!!) by a Flatlander admiring the scenery on our narrow two-lane road. We log each tank on "Trip A", and mileage between servicings on "Trip B". We use the HCH conservaitvely, adhering to CA 55 mph on local roads, and 65 on occasional freeway runs. Normal usage is one trip a week over a 1200-ft. pass on a narrow and winding 2-lane road (100 ft. elevation change both sides) for shopping in the nearest city (Ukiah, CA). Coming up on 3 yrs / 23,000 mi. to date, TM "A" reads 47.1 mpg, TM "B" 43.5, and we can just top 50 for local runs in Anderson Valley. All verified from our mileage vs. gas purchase log. (Previous 1997 Honda Civic Hatchback - manual - was 37 - 39 mpg in the same service.)

I am a fairly experienced driver, sensitive to engine performance vs. gear choice, and "gear down" approaching stops; wife is less sensitive to the mechanics, uses the brakes more, but usually comes out about the same mileage per trip. We are TOTALLY satisfied with the HCH, and find it NO different to drive than our 1997 hatchback, with the bonus of more rear seat room and access, vs. slightly less load space. Our ONLY gripe is the lack of a rear window washer / wiper system. Oh, yes, local dealer service has been excellent!

Just wanted to throw this into the pot, from nearly three years' usage. So, HOWCUM Consumers Report gets only mid-to-high 30's MPG???

Doug & Bev Elliott
  • Options
    Doug & Bev Elliot,

Great job with your Hybrid Civic. I can tell you how they only got high 30's for FE. I get from 37-40 MPG daily because I drive only 10 miles to work on the interstate at speeds of 70-80 MPH. No long distance to increase the FE. So can the HCH II that I own do better than the high 30's to 40 MPG ??? Yes

I have gotten as much as 66.7 MPG on a trip at 55 MPH and setting the Cruise Control and No A/C.

It just depends on the situation.

Glad you are enjoying your Hybrid.

I have mine for over a year now and driven it like 10,000 Miles so far. It has the Nav. and X/M Sat. Radio. Nice Hybrid and I love it still and glad I bought it.

Terry (tiger)
  • Options
    dchrobakdchrobak Member Posts: 1
    I am getting 32.8 average MPG, just have under 1000 miles on it. I drive 7 miles to work and use it around town, not much freeway driving. So far it seems to be not getting the 49 city mpg. I am not using A/C, mostly flat driving. My top MPG was 39.7 when I did a freeway trip.
  • Options
    kingpin209kingpin209 Member Posts: 1
    I usually run my a/c as cold as it will go, with the blower on low. I'm wondering if its less taxing on the compressor(and therefor on the engine) to run the temp not quite so cold, but the blower a little higher. Does anyone know if this will help conserve fuel.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just my general experience and observation... if the A/C compressor is running, the mileage on any vehicle is going to take a hit. I've never looked closely at using higher temperature settings to see if that would make a difference or not. My gut is telling me it won't because the compressor is still using up energy to run.

Might be time for a little experiment! :D
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Why would auto manufacturers give you the ability to adjust the temperature, either electronically or via manual rheostat, if they wanted you to keep the compressor running 100% of the time? Same thing for your home or office. That's why there are A/C thermostats in those locations.

It is surely less taxing on the amount of fuel consumed and on our environment to only have the compressor running when absolutely necessary. The more load on the compressor, the more load on the engine, the more fuel required.
  • Options
    "Why would auto manufacturers give you the ability to adjust the temperature, either electronically or via manual rheostat, if they wanted you to keep the compressor running 100% of the time? Same thing for your home or office. That's why there are A/C thermostats in those locations."

Ah, one of my favorite peeves about auto A/C. The manufacturers want to give exact control over the temperature - thus, if you raise the temp, the compressor still runs, but it adds hot air to the mix. It ensures that the person gets just the right temperature, but it is also just stupid. My 1973 AMC Gremlin adjusted the temperature by cycling the compressor, which saved a lot of gas. They don't even offer the option to do so these days...

30 years of progress???? :sick:
  • Options
    1stpik1stpik Member Posts: 495
    2007 Civic Hybrid

odometer 3,400 mi.

tire pressure 36 psi

highway speed 65 mph (cruise control)

a/c always on

city/hwy ratio 30/70

Here's my latest reading:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35956
  • Options
    jim314jim314 Member Posts: 491
    I think the auto a/c compressor does cycle on and off. You could observe this with the vehicle at idle and the hood open.

If you have the air handler set on recirculate, then it shouldn't be bringing in outside hot air, but depending on the design it is possible that the individual temp settings require that some of the air is passed through the heater core to give warmer air to one side.

The way to avoid this inefficiency would be to operate the a/c in the manual mode rather than thermostat mode and to have both temp settings on the lowest temp and use the lowest fan setting which is tolerable for the person who likes the temp the highest.
  • Options
    cbr1000rrcbr1000rr Member Posts: 12
    Replaced the spaceship wheels with a set of the SI wheels and I'm getting a decent 42MPG ;)
  • Options
    Is this a change from what you were getting with the OE wheels?
  • Options
    I replaced the oem/stock wheels within a week after purchasing the car, so I did not have a significant amount of milaege on the car. I filled the tank once or twice and my average was 43mpg (still breaking the engine in). I noticed a 5mpg drop immediately after installing the wheels, now after a few thousand miles, I'm back up to 42mpg in mixed driving (city/hwy). I'd probably be very close to 50mpg with the stock wheels, but I have a image to maintain... :shades:
  • Options
    What are the sizes of the spaceship tires/wheels and the new ones? What tire pressure do you use? Have you noticed a difference in handling?
  • Options
    The car handles much better than stock. The wider tires give the car more stability. The oem tires/wheels were 195/65-15, the SI tires are 215/45-17. I've never checked the tire pressure, but I think max psi for 215/45-17 are approx 44psi... so I'd imagine the tire shop probably put about 37psi in the tire.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.
  • Options
    johnsos2johnsos2 Member Posts: 8
    My mileage has been dropping since I changed my oil to a 5w-20 back to 0w-20 weight and also just changed my tires at 30,000 miles and my mieage has been dropping from 50 down to 45 mpg. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this and why its doing this? Thanks so much!! Scott
  • Options
    new tires = softer rubber = more rubber on the road = more friction = LOWER MPG.

If you want a "quick fix" until the tires are broken in and you don't mind a little harsher ride and you don't take 55 mph corners at 85 mph, you can air the tires up about 10 more pounds to take some of that rubber off the road.

DISLCAIMER: There are many different opinions of the safety and/or intelligence of over-inflating tires to gain MPG. In my own personal case and several other people I know, over-inflation for the sake of saving gasoline is an accepted way of life. For others, they say over-inflation is evil.

WISE ADVICE: Do your own research and make your own decision. Mine is just one suggestion in a world full of them.
  • Options
    2mnycats2mnycats Member Posts: 11
    Just got my HCH about a month ago. I wanted to report on the mpg I've been getting. It is fairly easy to adjust the way you drive to make the most out of this car. Instead of riding your brakes to a stop at lights, simply coast part of that distance and let the natural momentum of the car do its thing. Watch the jack-rabbit starts, and leave the temperature control on Auto. Another thing I've found is that if I get the car up to speed and then take the pressure off the gas pedal just slightly it will stay at speed and yet the mpg will climb big-time. So, in the short time I've had it (and while still trying to get the hang of all this) I get a combined mpg of around 43, and that's with the air on. At one fill-up I clocked a clean run to work -- about 16 miles, half highway, half city -- at 52.2.

To anyone who is looking at hybrids I would recommend this car highly. Everyone who has ridden with me absolutely loves it. Good car, fun to drive, looks great inside and out, and love the mileage I'm getting. So far I'm very happy! :)
  • Options
    Off-Topic-Kinda:

Hi Larry, have not seen your name in awhile. Terry (tigerhonaker) the guy that use to have the 2006 HCH II. On GH (Green Hybrid) & (CleanMPG). I traded it not long ago for a 2007 Accord Hybrid with Nav.

Back to Topic:

I agree with Larry about the increase in tire pressure. If you want to be safe and still get better FE (Fuel Economy) you can inflate your tires to the Maximum 44 PSI on the "Side Walls". You will have No-Problem !!!!!!

Terry (tigerhonaker)
  • Options
    dwadlingtondwadlington Member Posts: 8
    tigerhonaker: Why did you make the switch from HCH II to Accord? I have an '06 HCH II/NAVI that I love, but have trouble stuffing three kids (in boosters and carseats) into the back. Did you also look at Camry?
    Derek
  • Options
    Derek,

Read this http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f27/can-you-believe-these-numbers-just-keeps-- - getting-better-15225/
    That was the 2nd tank of gas that I put in the Accord Hybrid. This will give you an idea of the FE (fuel economy) of the Accord Hybrid when driven at normal hwy. speeds.

I just got tired of the "Outside" noise in the HCH II from the tires, wind etc. Plus the small interior of the HCH II.

Now if this is not important to you then just dismiss it. I really was just completely tired of the [No-Power] of the HCH II. That is the short version. Just burned out on it.

So the 2007 Accord Hybrid has 253 HP and when you burn 93 Octane gas it picks up an additional 10 HP so you have 263 HP. It is one Fast Sedan and gets IMO great FE. I love it and I am really glad I made the move. I got the last one in our Region. Almost blew it by waiting.

If I had it to do over again I would have made the move sooner. The Accord is a very quiet car and a nice size in the interior. You do not feel so "Cramped" as I did in the 2006 HCH II.

I say go try one and see if it is for you. I bet you will be making a change.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Terry (tigerhonaker)
  • Options
    new tires=larger circumference=fewer revolutions of driveshaft (odometer) per actual mile=lower (indicated) mileage. Confused? The computer on your car will be, too, if you put new tires/wheels that are significantly different from the manufacturer's original.

The trick with overinflating is a good one. It reduces sidewall flex and lets your tires work more like true circles instead of rolling squares. I would suggest that you watch for unusual wear or handling. On my cars, the handling actually seems better.
  • Options
    jpalencharjpalenchar Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my HCH since November, 2002 (it's 2003 model). Recently (last six months) the MPG seems notably lower. I was averaging around 38-39 mpg but it has dropped to 35 MPG. I notice that the battery is charging a lot more during normal driving (decel and braking don't seem to be enough to keep it charged). Not sure if the dealer will have a clueIt's got 57,000+ miles. Maybe it's time to spring for new sparkplugs--though maintenance schedule doesn't call for it.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would say your main battery is deteriorating. Make the dealer give you a report on the condition of the battery. It should still be under warranty. I know Honda screwed over some Insight owners telling them it was ok for the battery to be less than up to top condition. Why have a hybrid at 35 MPG? you can get that with the non hybrid model for a lot less money.
  • Options
    "Why have a hybrid at 35 MPG? you can get that with the non hybrid model for a lot less money."

I can't comment on the 2007 Civic, buy my wife has a 2002 EX. It gets about 26 MPG in town, maybe 35 on the highway. The HCH is much better in town.