Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I have a 97 G10 Express van, 5.0L 205k miles and I'm eating fuel pumps.

richardsharonrichardsharon Member Posts: 1
edited January 2017 in Chevrolet
4th pump installed yesterday, New wiring harness/4 pin plug at tank, AC DELCO OEM pumps, new in-line filter. Cleaned and dried tank but seemed very clean. 11.6 volts at big round plug at front of tank with key on. Grounds seem good. I did replace the fuel pump relay when I replaced the fuel pump the first time. I got 6000 miles out of that pump. 6000 from second pump. 2000 from third pump.
Any ideas anyone?? Is it possible the new relay is faulty & causing this? Am i just unlucky and got 3 bad pumps? I had Fuel pressure regulator and injectors changed out but that was 25,000 miles before original pump failed. All failures follow same pattern, truck cranks but won't start, thump tank with hand or short baseball bat (gently) starts right up, but only works for 6-8 starts.
getting good at dropping the tank, but sick of it. Feel like I'm treating symptom but not the cause. With new pump, truck starts & runs smooth with plenty of power. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Curious,....were the "old" fuel pumps bench tested after you replaced them?