Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti EX35 small SUV

Comments

• builderbobbuilderbob Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone seen a Deep Currant exterior with Wheat interior? Dealers locally don't have any. If so, what's the verdict on that combo? :) or :( ?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    According to this video a 6 footer can fit in back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6WSQQisGSU

If that's true, then it will be livable for most people, even if it is a bit tight.
    If you don't need tall people to ride in back for an extended road trip, it will probably be OK.
    The 2009 Murano is available if you need a bigger back seat.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    ...but I think people will be more critical of EX because they expect more usable passenger space in a CUV.

Actually I am somewhat critical of the EX because I expected more cargo space. As is, the EX just barely exceeds the cargo capacity of the Lexus IS and the BMW-3 - I suppose I expected a little more "Utility" out of the new CUV.
    Personally, I'm starting to believe that the market for truly sporty CUV/wagons is highly constricted by customer desires ... and utility beyond the capacity of the vehicle type. Moreover, I firmly believe, that the first thing that most American CUV/wagan customers inclined toward vehicles in this niche are willing to sacrifice is sportiness.

I agree to a point. I'm not at all interested in manual transmission, and only expect "reasonable" gas mileage (by that I mean I recognize its not an economy car); however I am very intested in cargo utility beyond the typical sedan; I expected cargo utility along the lines of other small SUVs (isn't that what the "U" part of CUV stands for? I am not interested in a sports car - where can I drive a sports car around a large American city anyway!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    except it has much less power, far less sporty handling, and only a CVT tranny (maybe that last one isn't a negative to some people, but to me it is).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

If people are buying it for the purpose of driving it hard so they can take advantage of better at-the-limit handling, then they don't need to be complaining about rear seat and cargo room.
    Exactly.

So, yes, you are right. For those complaining about rear seat room and utility, there are much porkier and pokier machines out there already flooding the market.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Nissan does not do a good job of differentiating these 2 brands right, Nissan & Infiniti. I looked up the features of the 09 Murano, it actually has some features not available in the EX, e.g. rain sensing wipers. The interiors, other than the instrument gauge are almost similar. You are right, the Murano is a good alternative, but I cant get that car. I will test drive the EX and the Murano, if the 2 are close other than for the performace, I am dropping the EX from my shopping list and will go back to decide on my dilemna of whether or not to get the G :sick:
    The interior is a bit more opulent in the EX. I just noticed the cameras on the Murano are not exactly the same as the EX.
    The Murano has "Enhanced RearView Monitor" and the EX has "All Around View Monitor" It looks like the same system with the screen animation for parking, but I think the Murano does not have the side and front cameras.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    My wife and I had the same issue of selecting either the G or EX.

I actually really like everything about the EX less the rear seats. The interior of the EX is by far the best I've seen from Infiniti, and IMHO on par with Lexus and Audi (and yes I've owned those two makes as well) I won't be sitting in the back there often, but I do carry passengers. I'm 5'11', 190lbs. I have no issue with the rear seat room once I'm actually sitting, the issue is getting in/out of the vehicle. I couldn't subject passengers to that.

We opted for the G35XS, all the room, luxury and sportiness we need. In the event Infiniti addresses the rear seat room, we'll get one.

Mike
    Just think about who will be sitting there. Do you plan on carrying people who are over 6 feet tall in the back seat?
    If you are a tall driver and then you "sit behind yourself" to test the back seat and find it too small, does that even matter if there is no likely scenario where someone else as tall as you would be driving your vehicle with you ending up in the back seat?
    If you really do need to carry tall people in back for more than short trips, then you should be looking at something else.
    Agreed, the EX's interior is at par with Lexus. I might end up going the same way as you and end up getting the G. Let me see how the test drive goes
    Agreed the interior is more opulent but maybe I need to sit in both cars to appreciate the differences, the specs on the Murano are pretty close to the EX, for example the Murano has dual panel moonroof and the rain sensing wipers. The EX has the round view monitor and more power. I dont know why they did not add the dual panel in the EX since the concept version had a panaromic roof.

I am not saying the EX is not a nice car, if you see my original post I was pretty impressed with it, if I end up getting it, I will have been able to justify to myself why I am paying more $$ over the Nissan version
  • cbauer71cbauer71 Member Posts: 3
    Hey - The RDX isn't "sporty". 0 - 60 in 6.3 sec. All the car magizines calling it "fun to drive" "sports car like handling" etc... and you say it isn't sporty.. I think you're off!
    Well as I posted a while back the power rear seats appeared to have a design flaw - the seat belt tends to get caughgt in the latch when you use the power raise feature (I experienced this a few weeks back in person). Last night at the Houston Auto Show I experienced this on the second EX that I ever saw (2 for 2). The floor rep admitted that it was a known flaw and that a fix kit has been put together and will arrive at dealerships soon. I must confess a little disappoinment that such a design flaw slipped thru and will pay close attention to the fix kit. It will be unacceptable if the fix looks like a quick "jury-riggeed" job. :blush:

On the plus side, of the ~ 600 cars at the show Infiniti clearly has a VERY strong line-up. The interiors of the M and EX can hold their own against anything out there. :shades:
  • cap58cap58 Member Posts: 32
    I purchased an EX at the end of last month, and knock on wood, have not experienced the problem you describe with the seat belts hanging up on the back seats. Guess I got lucky......
  • charlesbcharlesb Member Posts: 43
    On one of the last pages of this EX forum somebody posted a link to a YouTube video of an EX test and using that led to my watching all the YouTube Infiniti EX road test videos posted there. One of them, I noticed, showed the seatbelt narrowly escaping from getting caught in the latch of the rear seats when powered to the upright position identical to the way described above.
  • newautonewauto Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody seen the EX35 in Tidewater color?? What's your opinion ??
    Saw a chestnut interior today. The chestnut dash has the dark grey top that is common to all the interior colors. Putting it kindly, the combination of brown and grey is not attractive.
    Putting it kindly, the combination of brown and grey is not attractive.

I do not understand why Infiniti chose to limit the Luxe Elite Leather Package to only two colors, and then the two worst (IMHO). Surely the Stone and Graphite Leathers are more popular than Wheat and Chestnut? What was Infiniti thinking by not offering the leather upgrade in Graphite? :confuse:
  • lfolfo Member Posts: 24
    I was excited about this car and considering it seriously, until I saw it at the Baltimore Auto Show. Now, bear in mind that I wasn't caring too much about the fact that the car might have crappy back seat room and was small in the front cabin or back cabin. I'm a 5'4 female, so I don't need a lot of room. I live in the city, so a smallish hatchback/wagon/crossover is my friend. My dog is small, and at just 30 lbs, I figure she can fit in a GTI or WRX, and she doesn't need much more room. I have no kids and people are not too often in my backseat, though, when they are, I want them comfortable at least to a C+ grade level.

Ok, even with all the comments about the back seat and back legroom, even with all of that, I was FLOORED at the lack of space back there. I did not sit in a car in the entire car show (and I sat in most of them) that had such a small SLIVER of leg room. I sat in the front seat and had it positioned for my short self. Even at 5'4, there was NO back leg room. It was a total joke. A joke. And you cannot get out of the backseat without almost breaking your leg doing contortions to avoid the way the door is positioned. The floor model had wear and tear showing that everyone hit their leg on this spot. There is basically no room to get out of the darn car. It was ridiculous. Really ridiculous. You could seriously get injured. I'm athletic and nimble and it was a problem. Can't imagine if I took my grandparents for a ride.

I went from 80% considering the car to 0%, a confirmed no buy. What was Infiniti thinking? The GTI and WRX had more room. The car is not small, so it's almost like they intentionally had to design it that way. Ugh. What a horrendous design. Worst I saw at the entire car show and I wanted to love it or at least like it.
    Really, I sat in the front and back seat of the passenger side of an EX at the San Jose show earlier this year and, while far from roomy, it didn't seem the chore that you describe and I'm 5'10" (almost 5'101/2") and big boned (read: fat). The rear wheel cutout makes it akin to getting into a subcompact though. Overall, I think the swoopy coupe styling of the roofline really took a heavy toll on practicality on this design. The Lexus IS250 was definitely tighter than the EX though.
  • 501501 Member Posts: 24
    Wow i had a completely different experience than you. I went and test drove it with my wife and in-laws. I am 5'9", well to be honest 5'9" and 3/4 and was the driver, my father in law who sate behind me is 6'1" and said he had ample leg room. We also switched places, he drove and I sat behind and had more than enough leg room. Another thing it is much easier getting in and out of than my H3.
  • alfairalfair Member Posts: 1
    My wife had been anticipating the EX for months after driving her G35 for 3 years. She was keeping up with it on the web and reading anything she could find, just really excited. We drove it, found it too small and a pricier than we had hoped (fairly well optioned).
    I personally just didn't like it the looks of it.

After going back and forth on what to do she decided on the 09 Murano. We felt like we got a little more for our money. There is going to be a very small market for this vehicle. If you want one, wait a while, I'd bet Infiniti comes up with some incentives.
  • h2k2f2h2k2f2 Member Posts: 44
    Yeah, I really don't understand your experience. I went to the Houston Auto Show and sat in the EX. The front seat was positioned so that I could sit in it and I was able to fit in the back seat with no real problems. And I'm over 6'3"!! Was it roomy? No. Was it adequate for a 5 door hatchback? Yes!!!
    I agree. My wife and I sat in one on a dealer showroom floor. I set the telescoping steering wheel and driver's seat to where I would be comfortable driving. She set the passenger's seat to her preference. Then we both sat in the back without either legroom problems or ingress/egress issues. We are 5'10" and 5'9". Headroom was okay, too.
  • breimanbreiman Member Posts: 4
    Infiniti EX35 CuV

Like others I was eagerly awaiting this vehicle. I was just so disappointed once I saw it in person. Not because it's a bad vehicle, (there is so much to like about it), but the utility is so very, very tiny.

What a beautiful interior. What a great engine and handling. But if only they squeezed in a little bit better usage of space into the cargo area and rear seats, I'd be all over it. Now I'm in a pickle -- thinking about the Murano or maybe waiting for the FX37. RDX has the utility (relative to EX35), but I wasn't thrilled with the interior fit and finish or the exterior styling.

January sales of the EX35 in the US were 628 vehicles. I know the advertising hasn't kicked in, but that has got to be stunningly disappointing for Nissan. The RDX missed sales expectations and their Jan '07 sales were 1,798 units -- almost triple the EX.

Oh well.
    January sales of the EX35 in the US were 628 vehicles.

The first PARTIAL month a car is out, and before inventories have even ramped up, is hardly a way to judge a car. I would say march or april might be a good month to get a feel .... although car sales are down across the board.

• g2memphisg2memphis Member Posts: 17
    As an FX35 owner (2004 model) I too was disappointed in the (lack of) front shoulder, rear seat and luggage room with the EX35. I am anxiously awaiting the Geneva Car Show next month when the 2009 FX37 will be unveiled. I have no complaints with the EX's appearance, techno package or drivability, but the interior room was seriously lacking. Since I can't imagine having to go back to the Nissan dealerships and miss the personal care I have received from Infiniti, I have high hopes for the FX37! :shades:
    Infiniti EX35 CuV - very clever :P

I do not have a problem with the rear seat room. I only wish the cargo utility space was a little larger. As it is this Street Utility Vehicle is very small on the "Utility" part. :confuse:
    James R. Healey of the USA Today had a decidedly mixed review for the Infiniti EX in today's (15-2-2008) paper, you can read the online version here:

Infiniti EX review @ USA Today

"•Overall: Cramped and jiggly. Not for robust people or those with robust needs. Great engine."

OK, for Healey it was pretty harsh and 14 miles per gallon test mileage...OUCH!
    Yea I was also disappointed in the poor gas mileage that Healey reported; my 7-seat MDX does better than that :surprise: Healey also complained about the "cramped" size.

I also recently found out that the TPMS on the EX does not show the actual air pressure like my M35 does :mad: What's up with that :confuse:
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Reading about the Saturn Vue, I was surprised to see the EPA mpg less than the EX. Saturn's 3.5L, (222) hp AWD is 15/22 mpg. Their 3.6L (257hp) FWD is 16/24; AWD is 16/22.

With more weight and horsepower in the EX, I think it is rather competitive, though it isn't exceptional.
    Yea I was also disappointed in the poor gas mileage that Healey reported; my 7-seat MDX does better than that

Let him have it and drive it the same way in the same conditions if you really want to make such a comparison.

As I've posted here before, autoweek got WAY above that in their tester (25.6).

Healey has a pretty heavy foot, but he puts his numbers in context about the type of driving done. He praised the engine which likely means he was flogging it pretty good too. He tends to get better mileage with slow cars. :) That Autoweek mileage is a canard though I don't think many EX35 drivers will be seeing mid-twenties very often. Downhill with a tailwind. The VQ engine is notoriously a bit of a pig.

Road & Track got 12 mpg with the Acura RDX when they tested it so as they say, "Your mileage may vary."
    The VQ engine is notoriously a bit of a pig.

Hmmm... Guess it depends on your POV. I got over 25 mpg average in my 350z and I've got a heavy foot (not to mention the car begged for it :) ). I considered that to be pretty good. The mileage in the VQ has been improved upon since then. So 25 isn't all that shocking to me. Personally, I'd expect 23-24 with my driving habits and commute. (this would be in a RWD model, by the way) Again, something I'd consider pretty good for all the power the engine puts out.

• prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    There is recall for EX....
    Just looked up specifics of recall. Passenger airbag may fail to deploy if vehicle battery has discharged significantly at some time prior. Fix is a software upgrade. No charge. VOLUNTARY.
  • justaguy3justaguy3 Member Posts: 5
    I picked up my EX last week and absolutely love it. However, I am having a problem with the bluetooth feature. I have a Verizon phone. I can "marry" the phone to the car but when I turn off the car, the next time I start the car up the bluetooth system does not find my phone. I have to get out the phone, turn the bluetooth feature off and then on again, and then set both the car and the phone to search for each other. I never had this problem with my Acura TL. Whenever I started the Acura, the bluetooth system would immediately pick up the phone. I don't believe this is a phone issue because I have tried other phones (different models) with the bluetooth system and get the same disconnect results.

Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone propose a solution?
    I was watching TV last night and saw a commercial for the Infiniti EX. I don't watch much television but I figure that the Infiniti dealers with a bunch on the lot will be glad to hear some marketing is occurring. BTW, the vehicle (at least this pitch) was clearly aiming at women. Not a man in the entire half-minute. Toward the end of the commercial it showed a woman driver hitting the auto-up rear seat button and getting a very satisfied look on her face.

Personally, I'd expect 23-24 with my driving habits and commute. (this would be in a RWD model

And you could well get those numbers, but from reading the reviews at Edmund's and elsewhere from EX35 owners you would very much be in the minority. I hope you can meet your expectations.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We do have a Prices Paid discussion for the EX35. Maybe it's not showing up in a search?

Infiniti EX35 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

May as well get a MPG one going - but you're right, talk about the EX35 isn't dominating the forums here.

Infiniti EX35 Real World MPG
    from reading the reviews at Edmund's and elsewhere from EX35 owners you would very much be in the minority.

Are there owners posting their numbers somewhere? The discussions here on Edmunds have been very quiet, so much so that they haven't even opened up Prices Paid and Mileage forums. Can you let me know where I can read more?

thanks, steve.

• chasvchasv Member Posts: 13
    I still haven't ruled out the EX but there are so many negatives, it's hard to feel good about purchasing it.

This car has the lowest amount of cargo capacity of all UV's and that's probably why Infiniti doesn't publish it in their official specs. It's around 49 cubic feet. I don't know what they were thinking.

When I test drove it, I asked to look at total average MPG gotten by customers (it displays in the nav). It was 10 mpg. The sales person said it was so low because of how people test drive cars but I still don't think it's acceptable. The test drive route is just driving through streets in a commercial part of town and through one residential neighborhood road. Typical city driving. I got 13 MPG on my drive alone, which is obviously better, but not that much better.

The steering wheel seems extra small. Is this my imagination?

The interior is beautiful and the navigation is terrific but it doesn't really make up for the general impracticality of the car. All they needed to do was give it 10-15 more cubic feet. Infiniti seems to have forgotten the point of a utility vehicle.
  • aerodromeaerodrome Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my EX35. I drove a G37 Journal for 4 months and had no problem with the same phone. I tried another spare similar bluetooth phone and have the same problem. I had the phone reprogrammed by verizon and the problem did not go away. Both phones are LG VX8600. On Monday I will try another brand to see if the problem goes away. I now suspect it is an Infinity problem, not a phone problem.
    BTW, removing the battery and rebooting the phone does not help. This was a suggestion given to me by the phone store.
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    On a 350 mile road test, which included a lot of highway miles, the local TV tester averaged 22 mpg. Other comments made were that it was quiet, had great performance, tight in the rear. He did not like the operation of the back privacy cover.
    He thought it was a little pricey even in the luxury category. Though a mixed review, overall he liked it.
  • justaguy3justaguy3 Member Posts: 5
    I talked to the Infiniti Bluetooth Helpline on Friday and explained the problem to them. They concluded that it was a system problem and that I should bring the car into the dealer and have them run a diagnostic check. I don't know what this will do but I thought I would pass the info along.
    This car has the lowest amount of cargo capacity of all UV's and that's probably why Infiniti doesn't publish it in their official specs. It's around 49 cubic feet. I don't know what they were thinking.

They were thinking, "we already have the FX, so this needs to be smaller." I just can't get why people are so hung up on this. There are many many other larger vehicles out there. By making this one small, Infiniti has made it stand out in the crowd. It is for those who want more than a sedan, but less than all the other CUVs out there, and value performance as part of the equation.

When I test drove it, I asked to look at total average MPG gotten by customers (it displays in the nav). It was 10 mpg.

This is not just driving miles. If you've hung out at dealerships a bit or test driven alot, you see that cars sit there idling alot, ESPECIALLY in the winter. Salesperson goes to get car. Probably starts it up, then may have to move another car or 2 to get it out, while it sits there running. Then pulls up and gets out, while its running. Says to drivers, get on in and make yourself comfortable while I run and make a copy of your license and get a dealer plate. So folks get in and start flicking all the switches, playing with the seat adjustment, etc, all the time the car is sitting there running. Hence the 10 mpg you see on the display. Don't forget, while a car is sitting idling, it is getting 0 mpg. So that drastically drives down overall mileage.

• cap58cap58 Member Posts: 32
    I purchased an EX at the end of December. My average gas mileage has been right around 21 m/gal. I do a lot of highway driving, but winter weather drags down the efficiency as well as my city driving. I am usually around 25 m/gal on the highway.

The cargo area really has not been a big issue for me. It's usually more than enough for my needs without even having to put the seats down. I had an opportunity to use the "snow" setting last week during a snow storm. The roads had not been touched, and the car really handled well using the snow setting. I had an FX prior to this, and have not really noticed the car being drastically smaller. Overall, I've been pleased with the EX.
  • g2memphisg2memphis Member Posts: 17
    I don't know where you got your info regarding cargo capacity. We all agree that the EX's capacity is less than the FX and this is what Infiniti's corporate website says about the FX's cargo capacity:

Cargo volume with rear seats upright 27.4 cubic feet;
    Cargo volume with rear seats down 64.5 cubic feet (without moonroof)

The website also shows the following for the EX:

Cargo volume 18.6 cubic feet

The 49 c.f. you mention must be with the seats down!