Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda5 Owners - Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    How many pass in your car when you take your road trips, as the ride is also determined by your load.
  • Options
    marshall2marshall2 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you sir(fly onthewall) for your reply, it was most useful and full of info. Lumbar support is very important for me, maybe not for others. As forBobw3 I stated I owned previous Mini/vans in the past 14 years,3 grand caravens and one windstar, and God's honest truth I must of been very blessed or damn lucky with all 4. No major problems what so ever. So I definetlyam not about to shell out big bucks for a Odyssey or Sienna. The Grand Caravans seem to be treating me just fine. Maybe I'll just take one of those space wagons M5's for a half hour tour or so. Thanks!
  • Options
    I wasn't asking what you previously owned, but how many passengers you expect to carry on your road trips...
  • Options
    zoekentuckyzoekentucky Member Posts: 6
    Just bought ours March 15-- carbon grey touring with moonroof, 6 cd, side rails and "spoiler." Just took it on on a 500 mile road trip in Pennsylvania hills this past weekend, drove like a dream, very comfortable, nice responsive handling and doesn't seem to have any blind spots. :shades:

Appears to get good gas mileage too, over 26 mpg on highway and its not even broken in yet. (Not exact because don't know if tank was at very top when dealer gave it to us, we've only filled it up once so far.) We already love love love our 5!
  • Options
    churla27churla27 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering purchasing a 5 and the only negative to me is the potential for uncomfortability of the seats on long trips. They seem very hard. Can someone tell me what their experience has been on long trips ?

Thanks.
  • Options
    de4golfde4golf Member Posts: 9
    I just drove 1000 miles in two days, and after the second day the seats seemed hard. It is still a very fun vehicle to drive, and am looking forward to continuing my trip. I have about 2000 more miles before returning home. I have had my touring with auto and nav for about 2 weeks, and started with around 26 mpg, but have obtained economy from 27 to 30 miles per gallon on tanks during the previously mentioned 1000 mile trip from Missouri to North Carolina.
  • Options
    edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Our experience (distance-wise) pales in comparison with de4golf, as our longest trips have only been 4 hours or so, but nevertheless, my wife and I have no complaints, nor do our young kids, with the firmness of the seats. Quite the opposite: we all think that they are very comfortable. But then again, four hours may not be considered to be a "long" trip by most standards.
  • Options
    churla27churla27 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both for your input. I tried one out last night and it seemed fine. The wife is still worried but I will pass along the comments. I have it narrowed down between the 5 and the Ford Freestyle but I am really liking the price of the 5.
  • Options
    I was actually looking at buying either the Freestyle or Mazda5, but in Feb'05 the 5 wasn't available, plus we really needed the larger size of the Freestyle. There is only myself, wife & baby most of the time, but we go on lots of road trips, and like to bring for the baby a small playpen, pretty big stroller, toys, tub, and a lot of other stuff that wouldn't have fit into the 5 even with the 3rd row down. Plus the 2nd row is huge, even with the front seats all the way back. We have relatives visit us a lot in the summer, The mpg is in the low to mid 20s, and we paid $24K for ours (SE FWD, safety, tri-level climate, convenience). If I had to choose right now, I'd make sure to bring everything I'd need for a road trip and load it up to make sure I could bring everything I wanted. But the Freestyle is bigger and will cost more, so if you don't need the extra space, then I'd go with the 5.
  • Options
    poohbah75poohbah75 Member Posts: 41
    I considered a Freestyle, and even test-drove one, but the available manual transmission and sliding rear doors are what sold me on the 5. The only thing the Freestyle had in it's favor was the available AWD, but it's an expensive option. It's cheaper to keep my 2000 Nissan Xterra (to use as a beater/snow vehicle) and buy a Mazda 5 instead of trading the Nissan in on a new Freestyle, as the Nissan is worth maybe $6000 right now. I like the look of the 5 better, anyway. I saw that the Freestyle has more cargo space behind the third row, but that obviously makes the car longer. I want to be able to park the car in my (small) garage, and the dimensions of the 5 fit perfectly. Plus, I'm rarely carrying cargo AND family; it's usually one or the other. The missus has a Honda Odyssey if we have real load carrying needs. To each his (or her) own, I suppose. :)
  • Options
    You're right. If you already have a large minivan, you really wouldn't need a Freestyle, so the Mazda5 would be a good second car. For me, I was looking at either the Freestyle or Mazda5 as my primary car, so that's why I choose the Freestyle because I needed more space for my primary car. But for a second smaller car with flexibility, the Mazda5 is great.
  • Options
    77722777772277 Member Posts: 7
    Howdy all --

Just picked up a Platinum Silver touring (Lansdale, PA), and had about the best/smoothest/easiest purchase experience ever. Replacing my wife's car, so I won't get to drive it much, but we're both impressed so far.

Delivered with 34 miles on it -- about half of which are from our test drive. We'll keep an eye on MPG and see how it performs for us.
  • Options
    whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    My Touring has adjustable lumbar for driver. Upper lever on left side of drivers seat back.
  • Options
    77722777772277 Member Posts: 7
    Driving home from Lowe's last night with a full load of Spring yard maintenance stuff (sliding doors made loading/unloading a cinch!) I came up behind a Caravan, and noticed that I was sitting as high up off the road as the Caravan's driver. I love that.
  • Options
    7red77red7 Member Posts: 8
    Greetings everyone :D My wife and I just purchased an 06' M5 Touring in Stellar Greensilver Metallic and we love it!!! We got the moonroof, 6 cd in-dash, and spoiler...As of right now it's kind of tricky using an FM Modulator to run out mp3 player through the stock stereo, but a quick trip to the dealership to have the cassette player installed should handle that for us...

We were driving my 2004 Scion xB for the past two years, but the frequent drive from Northern to Southern California to visit our respective families was beginning to cause to much wear and tear on the front end and windshield (which we had to have replaced twice already)...We needed something just as plush that could handle the road trips and escape most of the damage our xB was getting and decided to go with the 5...

So far so good and everything is just great after our first four days of owning it...In fact, we drove it back to Northern California from SoCal on the second day we had it!!! The long road trip was a breeze, passing slower traffic was as easy as it gets, and the seats kept us both comfortable the entire trip...My wife actually fell asleep in the passenger seat saying that it was such a smooth and quiet ride that it was hard not to :D

Happy Driving Everyone!!! :)

DAN
  • Options
    tmen56tmen56 Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody had a good buying experience anywere in Northern Illinois? I am willing to drive 50 miles to get a good fair deal on a Madza5. Thanks
  • Options
    mkatmkat Member Posts: 8
    Hi, tmen56.
    I purchased my Mazda5 from Roto Mazda in Arlington Hts, IL last August. I strongly recommend this dealer if you are still in the market for a Mazda. We had such a pleasant experience with one of the sales persons there, we went back a few months later and purchased a brand new Mazda3. :D I can email you the dealer info and the sales person's name if you'd like. Good luck!

mkat
  • Options
    Thanks for reading my request. Yes I would like any dealer info you can give me. Thanks again tmen56
  • Options
    wa98stratwa98strat Member Posts: 66
    just placed an order for a silver GT. Should arrive in 4-5 weeks!!! :)
  • Options
    shasta5shasta5 Member Posts: 7
    Why don't you have your dealer call the Windsor Mazda dealership, they have a few Platinum GT's on the lot. :)
  • Options
    mkatmkat Member Posts: 8
    Hi tmen56,

Sorry, I haven't been checking this bbs lately. Anyway, I'd be more than happy to email you the dealer info. Since I don't have your email address, could you send one to me? My email addy is in my profile. Thanks!

mkat
  • Options
    Thanks for reply. I will send you an e-mail. Thanks tmen56
  • Options
    paulb5paulb5 Member Posts: 7
    Hey wa98strat,

I am just west of TO - did you buy or lease? What dealership do you go through? What did you pay?
    Your feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    I've got them calling around. Hard part for them is I want the 5spd and climate control. They said they've only sold a couple of 5, all the rest have been automatics
  • Options
    I bought from Scarboro Mazda. I sent around 20 emails out to all the general managers of the mazda dealers in the TO area, of the ones that replied, they had the best price. Invoice +2%. And I purchased, I tend to save for my cars. I don't beleive that leasing is the right choice for most peeople
  • Options
    jmnewtonjmnewton Member Posts: 1
    Hi Dan
    I'm considering buying a Mazda5 in the Bay Area and saw your post. Where did you buy your new car in the Bay Area? I'm just beginning the process and want to look at the car with my family. We too will likely use the car for trip to/from Los Angeles so the Grapevine seems like a good test of the engine power-did you have any problems or found the strain of having the AC on while ascending the Grapevine problematic at all?
    Thanks
    John
  • Options
    boytoysboytoys Member Posts: 8
    I just took delivery of my 5 from Prima Mazda at Woodbridge. We went to look for a demo advertised (disappointed) ask for a quote, and to my surprise their offer was quite okay. I made a firm offer and they were willing to deal for an in stock showroom GT, Auto, A/C, Carbon Grey. Ask for Akef if you need one in TO.

So far we love the car. We were eyeing the 5 for 2 years now. even 7-8 months before officially available, we were checking the original mazda.ca mazda5 forums....

Yeeeahh...! We are looking to purchase some more accessories..I am in the process of compiling a list of accessories vendors. If other members already have a list, can you share with us here ??
  • Options
    minisubminisub Member Posts: 8
    Brought mine 4 weeks ago, carbon grey touring model with NAVI. We love it as it fit in my garage with room to spare so we can actually get out the van and walk to my door without feeling against the wall. I have 900 miles on it and get's about 25 mpg from most highway and some city driving. It was 115 F few weeks ago and A/C worked great. I love the handling and drive likes a car but I do noticed it's little bit noisy on the highway even with all windows rolled up.
  • Options
    virago83virago83 Member Posts: 6
    Have barely had our Mazda5 a month now, jet black, GT model (touring?) with air, auto. Got a trailer hitch installed at dealer ship to carry bicycle rack, etc. Has exceeded all our expectations so far! Vehicle looks great, good power on the highway and great handling. Very quiet ride, almost no wind noise and can listen to stereo without cranking it up. Sound quality of audio is surprisingly good for price of car. :shades:
  • Options
    mazdalvrmazdalvr Member Posts: 16
    Yes, go to K&N website they have a cold air intake or just go to google and type in cold air intake.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The posts from our new Mazda 5 owners (congrats on your new rides!!) have been moved to the New Mazda5 Owners - Give Us Your Report discussion.
  • Options
    ghrantghrant Member Posts: 7
    Leasing a white 2006 Mazda5 GT.
  • Options
    herzogherzog Member Posts: 3
    my M5 has problems in cold weather with suspension.it make a grinding noise.I took it back to dealer and they repaired it. after 2 days it came back.
    The arm rest for the driver is to narrow an short.
    otherwise love this cars flexability
    Mike
  • Options
    I own the touring model and yes you do feel a drag w/ the A/C on but I switch to manual. and it helps.
    Mike
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
  • Options
    justabitmorejustabitmore Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a mazda 5 gt today. I think I should have read forums about this car before I purchased. I can't help but feel, that I may have just wasted $25,000. All I keep reading is how may freaking problems there are. Is there any good news about this car or what. I enjoyed it the 5 times I took it out, and I thought it was practical for me, for both future family, and commuting. But now, i feel is if i should go back to the dealer and get a different vehicle. I am hoping not.
  • Options
    I felt the same way.But the car is so versitle w/ the 4cyl.engine and the rear sliding doors there is nothing on the market to compare it to.unless u upgrade to a 6 cyl.vehicle.this is the first yr. for this model and I believe that the bugs will be corrected. but if we dont see a 2008 model then its time to worry.
  • Options
    25K seem pretty expensive for a Mazda5. You can get a fullzized minivan for that price.
  • Options
    hamletwvhamletwv Member Posts: 1
    Could it be Canadian $ ? It would be one loaded vehicle. We just took delivery of a Mazda5 Sport (AT) with fog lights and no other options. I love the Dark Plum color, even though it is darker than it seems from the website/brochures. We bought the car with S-plan pricing. Now I am looking to have the windows tinted. Any idea how much this should cost me?

J
  • Options
    marlonchwomarlonchwo Member Posts: 9
    I found Apple glass will cost 250+tax for the entire Mazda 5. Will do mine without the driver and front passenger side as for the law here in Ontario, and it will cost me 220+tax.
  • Options
    da1nonlyda1nonly Member Posts: 4
    why can't you do the driver and front passenger side in ontario? i had my done at the mazda dealership in scarborough... they did everything except the windshield...
  • Options
    brosenbergbrosenberg Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I saw the post from dabatman. . .

Did you get your car? What do you think of the Mazda 5? How does it work for your 3 kids? I have a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 16 month old. I want to make sure there is room and that they are comfortable.

Any downsides? Would love any comments and advice you can give. Or hear from anyone else. I am currently driving a Volvo 240 wagon, but need a newer car and more room for my kids. My husband does not want a minivan and I do not want a sedan or wagon that won't sit 6.
  • Options
    sleepwalkersleepwalker Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I just took delivery of a 2008 black gt mz5 with sand leather. The only other option was the nav. We traded in our Toyota Land Crusier mainly for the fact that at 12 to 13 mpgs were getting increasingly old. The vehicle listed for $25 even and we got it for $22324 before tt&l. We looked at prius, xb, vibe and matrix, and whatever the nissan equivilant was, the rondo (still shaking from that encounter) and researched for two months before determining that this was the best choice for the buck. My wife adores the car. I have a few quibbles. The car is a bit tight for me, the rear seat headrest hits me tween the shoulder blades when its down, and the doors feel flimsy. But...for the price..climate control, front and rear air, bluetooth, instant on wipers and lights, HID adjustable headlights, rear air, on and on... not bad. Miss the tank (toyota) but hey..for an economy (?) ride, coulda done worse. I have been reading bout a recall. Is this for the initial model or ongoing?
  • Options
    coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    The 2006 got most of the recalls (and mostly the ones built in 2005). No worries, if there is a recall you would be the first to know via a letter. You can also enroll into the MazdaUSA site and will let you know about any recalls you may need. I own a 2006 and a 2008, no recalls for the 2008 (so far), Oh and both are Manual Tranny in my case so 2.3 pushes me allright. I also rented an 07 w/ auto tranny the other day, and I was surprised about the push as well. Every time you don't feel that extra "push", think about that wallet "not pushed" for extra gas money :)
  • Options
    sleepwalkersleepwalker Member Posts: 8
    coolmazda5, thanks for the imput, its good to know someone who has an early and late model. I will definitely take the cue as to the increasing wallet size via saved gas money. I took your advice and got into the mazda usa site so if any issues come up, they will notify me. So far, iz all gud!
This discussion has been closed.