Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda5

Comments

• Options
    michael_garonmichael_garon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Mazda 5 GT with sirius and an ipod jack, so I can confirm it exists. I also have navigation and the ipod is selected from the touch screen as an input.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Does your Mazda5 have navigation?
  • Options
    smk124smk124 Member Posts: 11
    No. Doesn't have navigation. I found an IPod kit on line that should do the job and showed them the website. They didn't seem to know too much about it or how to put it in. I'm not overwhelmed by their competence. I told them to forget the Ipod thing and I traded it for an extra bike carrier.
  • Options
    I think they are confusing your vehicle with the 2007 where you couldn't have both accessories. They changed the head unit for 2008 to allow both accessories to peacefully co-exist. Tell them to read their accessories catalog carefully.
  • Options
    The finance person at my Mazda dealer told me yesterday that as of today, Mazda is no longer owned by Ford, but by Chase Bank. Can anyone confirm?
  • Options
    Mazda only changed vehicle finance companies from Ford Motor Credit to Chase Bank.

Mazda Japan's ownership remains 33.4% Ford.
  • Options
    Thanks for the correction.
  • Options
    I am still getting the runaround with Mazda about adding the IPod option to my new mazda5 with Sirius. Several of you have said that you have it with Sirius. I don't have navigation. They keep saying that there is a problem in that they interfere with each other. I understood that was fixed in 2008. Since Mazda sells both, it seems that they should work together.
    If anyone can post your experience with this and any evidence or websites, I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    I would really suggest another dealer, but if not, look here: http://accessories.mazdausa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalo- gId=11601&storeId=10051&categoryId=2397778&parent_category_rn=2397777&yearSelect- ed=2008&modelSelected=vc254&modelName=2008+Mazda5#2397781

Since you already have SIRIUS, your vehicle is equipped with the correct harness (that has the connector for the iPod module) and you'll only need the iPod Integration Module.

If you'll notice on the 2007 Mazda5 page, it expressly says that the iPod Module is not compatible with SIRIUS.

If all that doesn't work with your dealer, send me an email: maltbarley at yahoo dot c0m
  • Options
    Actually, Sirius was not installed yet. They are going to install both together. I got the general manager involved and he called central Mazda and, after getting conflicting answers from them too, resolved the issue. He ordered the integration module and the harness and they will figure out how to install it.
    I would go to another dealer, however I purchased the car with these options from this dealer. Also, I regrettably purchased a 7 year warranty that will keep me going to this dealer to avoid a deductible.
    This Mazda dealer is owned by the same company that owns the Honda dealer that I've dealt with for the past 13 years without any problems. Makes me wonder...
  • Options
    vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    This morning coming to work (half asleep as always...lol) I was crusing at a good 70mph behind a lady driving a Honda CR-V right at the connector of I-10 and I-215. I was not nessesarily following the 3-sec. rule it was more of a 1-sec. rule when she slowly and gradually started to merge to the left lane (fast lane on the two lane connector road) without signaling and/or braking, when she finally cleared the lane we were traveling I was faced with a huge re-tread left behind from a semi...WOW! I had literally half a second to react and swerve out of the way in order to clear the re-tread and not sustain damage to my MZ5. All I have to say is two things.

1. People have no common courtesy to warn other drivers of any dangers up ahead by slowing down (activating stop lamps) or turning on their hazards. She had no one in front of her and could easily see that there was something laying on the middle of the road because she had the time to slowly and gradually merge onto the next lane.

2. I am sure glad that my MZ5's suspension was designed and built the way it is because I was able to miss the re-tread completely at 70mph without a screech from the tires and without losing any control of it. It was a nice, tight and precise maneuver and I am sure glad I was on my MZ5 and not on any other vehicle otherwise I might have not been able to do this.

Did I mention that I did this with my eyes partly closed waiting for the loud bang as I expected to hit the damn thing....Oh BTW, all this without DSC or ETC or all those gizmos people cry about not being available on our MZ5s, eat that crybabies!
  • Options
    nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Similar things have happened to me various times, and I, too, am very appreciative that I own such a great handling car. Good handling truly is one of the top, if not THE top, safety feature a car can have. And the 5 has it in strides! I've avoided many accidents because of it and my passengers have all marveled at the fact that my 5 handled the maneuvers in such a smooth way. They all thought it was because I am a good driver with good reflexes, but I was quick to say that the car has a lot to do with it, as well ;)

And I, totally, agree with what you said about all the electronic assist systems. Not once have I needed it on my 5. If you have a great handling car and are a good, cautious driver, then there's no need for them, in my book. I think such systems are just scapegoats for bad driving. And I think they're counterproductive since it would give people a false sense of security and dull their sense of urgency and care when driving their cars. (However, I don't feel the same about ABS or Airbags. They're a necessity!)
  • Options
    I totally agree with you 100%
  • Options
    andydicoandydico Member Posts: 12
    Me Too! :)

I'm currently driving a Nissan Sentra courtesy car as my Mazda5's at the Body Shop right now. I did not realize how good the 5's handling was until now compared to the Sentra. I also feel it's pretty tight inside and the CVT to me feels and sounds quite Weird! ;)

I can't wait to get back my 5. About the only thing I like about the Sentra compared to the 5 is the manual wiper with intermittent duration adjustment but other than that I'll take my 5.
  • Options
    cvrcvr Member Posts: 2
    I'm from Montreal and just purchased a 2008 Mazda 5 GT leather and am having some issues with; water condensation and humidity in rear lights . dealer changed both lights several days ago and problem re-occured in the right light but much worse than before. There is obviously a problem with the seal in these lights as ,I know of several others that have the same problem.Have you ever checked your rear lights especially on a sunny day or several hours after a carwash or rain (evaporation...water that infiltrated is trying to get out.)?
  • Options
    cvrcvr Member Posts: 2
    has anyone else experienced this problem of water, condensation and humidity buildup in rear ights??
  • Options
    Has anyone experienced an odd humming sound followed by a sort of noise closing a valve or flap after turning off your vehicles. This sound seems to come from the passenger's front area underneath the hood and the whole thing last about a good 10-seconds after turning off the vehicle. It happens all the time and everytime, and it is not the humming sound that the steering motor makes. This noise/sound is present after turning off the engine. Any clues or ideas of what it may be? or Has anyone experienced this sound?
  • Options
    qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    I tried to find it on "another forum" as my 3 has the same noise and I researched it before. I recall it has to do with the throttle body and/or the emissions system doing a pressure purge and self check. It's completely normal.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply, you are the third owner that tells me and confirms that it is a normal operation of the emission system, thanks!
  • Options
    spcanfspcanf Member Posts: 5
    I just test drove a mazda5 and I really liked the configuration of the vehicle but I found the interior lacking (on the leather edition) and it felt like I could feel every crack in the pavement. I thought the acceleration was fine and the handling - do you think changing the tires would help with the road feel?
  • Options
    Changing the tires will definately improve the harsh feel, I changed from stock 205-50R17 Z-rated tire to 215-50R17 V-rated tire and the road feel is a lot smoother and more forgiving in rough areas. I guess the extra 5mm of sidewall and the fact that it is a lower speed rated tire makes a big difference.(V as opposed to Z)(Z-rated tires are made of a harder compound to withstand faster speeds and the likes of sporty inspired driving)

BTW, the sporty handling did not seem to decrease by the different tires, it still handles really well.
  • Options
    wrubertewruberte Member Posts: 12
    We purchased two Mazda5's (2006 & 2007) because of the seating capacity (6) with support for two child seats. The 2006 was recalled twice due to an engine overheating issue related to the exhaust that could cause the engine to catch on fire. Yesterday the original manufacturer AC Compressor locked up on it causing the engine to overheat at which point smoke entered the passenger cabin. I shut down the engine because I was afraid the engine was about to catch fire. Lucky I did. The AC Compressor overheated to the point that is fused with the clutch. Nathan, Manage of Customer Service at Mazda Corporate refused to do anything about the issue despite the local Mazda Dealership indicated the AC Compressor suffered a "Catastrophic Failure". This caused $2,400 worth of parts and labor.

Under GA Law this car is considered a lemon as the vehicle was under repair for over 45 days during the first recall. Mazda seems to have taken a chapter from the recent playbook of American Car companies, however, I do not appreciate it when they play Russian Roulette with the life of me an my family and refuse to repair a component for which the failure has been isolated to defective original manufacture part or incorrect original installation :lemon:
  • Options
    coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Terrible mishap, it sucks. I also own 2 Mazda5s

Now, I'm not sure if reposting everywhere here would really help :(

A couple of notes:
    - Some of the 2006 models were recalled only once back in 2005, not twice

- As per the Lemon part, if you did not do anything during that old recall, that is pretty much it

- If you live in the US the A/C compressor is still under warranty (4yr warranty as of Dec 2005), unless you have more than 50000mi

Best of luck!
  • Options
    2006 Mazda5 WAS recalled twice. Second time it was dealing with the sliding door latches not working properly under certain conditions. The reason why they will not cover the defective manufacturer AC Compressor that heated up so much that it fused with the clutch is that the vehicle is above 50K :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Options
    The 2006 was recalled twice due to an engine overheating issue related to the exhaust that could cause the engine to catch on fire

I'm just paraphrasing what you are reposting in every thread, nothing else. So to clarify: The 2006 was recalled once due to the exhaust potential overheating, not twice. Also, the engine would not catch fire due to that, it was the exhaust itself so all your posts are incorrect and misleading.

And yes, it took long to get it fixed, I was pissed off too, but I hope you also got a rental at no cost and your $500 from Mazda for the inconvenience, right? That reaction from Mazda made me feel better to purchase a 2nd Mazda5 to be honest

But anyway, my question is: Why did you yet buy a 2007 Mazda5 if your 2006 was such a bad experience for you? There is the Rondo as an option for example

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Because after the first recall, we did not understand the full extent of the issues until the compressor incident and until after we had to bring the 2007 into a shop only to find out there was Technical Service Bulletin on the 2007 regarding defective bushings for the stabilizer causing the bottom bar to scrape against the bottom of the car that was the underlining cause of the issue. Still a :lemon:
  • Options
    Just to chime in here, I been in the car dealership business for almost 9 years, particularly in the wholesale parts department. A/C compressor failure is quite common, some go out faster then others. I have seen compressors go out as soon as within the first year of ownership. I dont know how many miles you have on your MZ5, but I had a Honda Accord in which the compressor went out at about 100K. The seizing of the clutch/pulley assembly is actually more common then you think, and it is an end result of the actual failure which actually is an internal seizure of the compressor. The fact that the clutch/pulley assembly fuse together it is because when the compressor fails and seizes, the engine continues to try to turn the pulley with the normal operation of the engine's drive belt and heats up the clutch so much that it eventually fuses together, if you would have not pulled over and turned off the engine I am sure your drivebelt (if it did not) would have been the next to go. Anyway, I know that it is costly to replace A/C components, but that does not mean that your MZ5 is a lemon. A/C compressor's lifespan vary from individual to individual, not from car maker to car maker. Most compressor are made from the same manufacturer and only the outside case is built to carmakers specs for mounting purposes. The true lifespan depends on the usage. A lot of people run their A/C all the time and never turn them off even before shuting down the engine. When people go back to turning on their vehicle the A/C compressor goes on instantly as well and puts a strain on both the engine and the compressor. Sorry about the inconvinience this puts on your pocket book, we all hate it when we have to dish out money to fix our vehicles, even me.
  • Options
    Well, this inconvenience has been registered with the NHTSA now for investigation as the smoke in the engine and the passenger cabin nearly caused a car crash on I85. I've managed to obtain the part in case the NHTSA follows up because the only way the unit can be dissassembled right now is with a blow torch. The only common thing about the AC Compressor Failure is defective part or installation. It may be common for you as an employee of a dealership, but is no less an unacceptable safety hazard especially when this vehicle transports children. Mazda Corporate's unwillingness to do anything borders on culpable negligence. :lemon:
  • Options
    These forums may only indicate one recall, but the NHTSA definitely trumps your lack of research. Visit http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/RecallSearch.cfm and plugin in Mazda 2006 Mazda5. Two recalls (NHTSA Campaign ID's 06V463000 and 05V412000), the latter of which took more than 45 days of repair. Yep, law here calls that a :lemon:.
  • Options
    These forums may only indicate one recall, but the NHTSA definitely trumps your lack of research

:D. Whatever man. Last time I checked only ONE recall had to do with with the exhaust potentially catching fire. You said that the 2 recalls were related to that, which is still misleading (or I may be wrong and where you live the sliding doors' latches not only freeze but could also catch fire to the exhaust :confuse:)

Anyway, to your Lemon point in GA. You car must have been purchased in 2005 for the exhaust recall to apply so if you want to point out that your car is a lemon NOW (almost 2009), you are not making a good case.

My only point is: I would suggest to take your case differently, do more research and your chances of succeeding may be higher

Best of luck!

The Lemon Law rights period is the period ending one year from the date you took delivery of the vehicle, or after the first 12,000 miles of your use—whichever occurs first.

Georgia Governor's Office of Consumers Affairs:
    http://consumer.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,5426814_39105738_59620902,00.html
  • Options
    redberryredberry Member Posts: 10
    Again, you fail to acknowledge that what you first wrote was incorrect - you stated "the 2006 was recalled twice due to an engine overheating issue related to the exhaust that could cause the engine to catch on fire."

It had one recall for the exhaust, and one recall for the latch. Not two due to exhaust overheating issues, as you initially claimed. Research is only as good as the language used to describe the findings.

As far as I know, the existence of recalls does not a lemon make. My past two cars had a couple of recalls on them, and the cars were fine. Many cars have a couple recalls during their lifetime.

If you took your 2006 Mazda in for the recall while under the protection of the lemon law ("12 months following the purchase of the vehicle or for 12,000 miles following the purchase of the vehicle, whichever occurs first." - GA law), and they took 45 days to repair it, you might have had a claim, had you acted on it. The fact that your A/C failed later, out of warranty, has no bearing on the car being a lemon. In your circumstances, the only legally recognized "lemony" thing about your Mazda is the lengthy repair time. Not the fact it had recalls. Not the fact that at 50,000 miles it suffered a component failure.

To me, a lemon is a car that is grossly defective in its engineering or parts - not one that some dealership took a long time to fix on one occassion. From my point of view, if I'm to be warned away from a particular car, I'd need more evidence than a couple of recalls, a lengthy stay in the shop, and a parts failure at 50,000 miles. I replaced my Jetta's starter motor around 70,000 after it failed - I wasn't cursing the car, despite the fact it has a recall (and 23 complaints for it on the NHTSA site!).

I think your conclusion that the Mazda 5 is a lemon is unjustified. Maybe it technically fell under the provisions of GA lemon law due to that 45 days in the shop, but that's not what the typical car buyer is thinking when discussing whether a certain model is an overall lemon.
  • Options
    ...in addition to redberry's response, the repair for the "engine catching on fire" recall was only in vehicles built before 01-06 (I believe?? correct me if I am wrong) which the majority were purchased in 2005. The 45 days or so of repair time was due to Mazda being pro-active and pulling vehicles off the road due to a potential hazard while the proper permanent fix was engineered. When those people got the recall letter, they had a choice to take it in and let their vehicles sit for those many days in the shop or continue to drive their vehicles until part was readily and risk their vehicles and lives. Most opted to let their vehicle sit in the shop just to prevent this from happening. Mazda also provided a rental vehicle at no charge without any mileage restrictions and after the fix it offered owners also a $500 check to use at their discretion. Call it brivary or call it what you will, the fact is that Mazda acted proactively on this issue and took care of the problem. Many car makers do not take this approach because they care more about their reputation, specially on the introdusction of a new (to the U.S) vehicle. Again, sorry about your A/C compressor going out sooner than you expected, but we are all faced with one thing or another going wrong with our vehicles. I dont have extended warranty on mine and I knock on wood so that nothing major happens to my MZ5 at least anytime soon. If you had extended warranty, then you would have been one of the very few that actually benefited from purchasing it. Sorry bud!
  • Options
    redberryredberry Member Posts: 10
    A web search finds that Hondas appear to be afflicted with early demise of A/C units, under 100K miles; I wonder if the parts are sourced the same by Mazda? I'll admit that, while other components often give out before 100K miles, I haven't heard of A/C compressors going before this. I've never had an A/C go catastrophically, and I've owned some old cars with lots of miles (but not Japanese ones).

Rather than shouting "lemon" and pursuing that angle, you may want to research if this failure is occurring to other Mazda owners and consider a class-action.

From what I've read about the Honda cases, Honda did pay when it was a case of the entire system needing replacing, to the tune of $4000.

I'm still planning to buy a MZ 5 this month, though.
  • Options
    It was indicated there were two recalls and indicated that there was a serious exhaust issue. Can't help if you'll took it to the next illogical level and thought both recalls were related to the same issue. NHTSA Investigation will prompt Mazda Corporate to do due diligence. Do you really think Mazda is going to post failure rates of an AC Compressor model for public consumption out of altruism? Do you really think Mazda did a recall on the scale that it did for the engine exhaust out of pure concern for the customer or for reasons of liability? Mazda Corporate's Customer Service Management flatly denied a request for the failure rates of the same model AC Compressor in Mazda vehicles and a detailed search for patterns in such failures indicating a general unwillingness to even look into much less acknowledge the issue of a "catastrophic failure" as indicated by the Mazda Dealership Service Technician where by "you will probably need a blowtorch to disassemble it". Lastly yes, vehicle repair took greater than 45 days for the exhaust recall. :lemon:
  • Options
    Of course Mazda "NOR" any other car manufacturer will "NOT" post failure rates for A/C compressors or any other components publicly. Those statistics are for internal use only to identify a potential problem in addition to consumers reports. This is why there are "supercessions" on part numbers for parts. This is put in place because design is changed on a faulty previously designed part and most likely its the flaw of the actual vendor/manufacturer of the actual part, "NOT" the car manufacturer. In certain situations the car manufacturer will change vendors in order to possibly diminish and/or fix flaws and of course, lets not kid ourselves, more affordable prices (this does not nessesarily trickle down to us, but that is another subject).

I'm not saying not to try to get Mazda to cover your compressor, by all means continue to pursue this as long as you can and your avenues run out. I am just saying that you should not single Mazda out nor automatically call your MZ5 a lemon because your A/C compressor prematurely failed and the fact that it has had a few recalls. All car makes have lots of recalls, some that go unoticed because they become TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) only, and they will only surface if you come in to the service department and have a concern that happens to have a TSB issued. The fact that some dealerships (I know I work for one) are less competent then others or that are less willing to help the customer out is totally out of Mazda's or any other car manufacturers control (somewhat) is also not a presice representation of the car manufaturer. Lastly you really have not told us how many miles you have on your MZ5. If it is still close to 50K you might have a chance at getting a "nice" service writer to help you out getting this covered through Mazda. However, if you have way more miles and/or come in to your local Mazda dealer with a [non-permissible content removed] attitude, you can be assured that you will not get sympathy and will see you as a gravy pot for them. Good luck bud!
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    What does a component failure above 50K miles have ANYTHING to do with early repairs on a recall years ago?

I sense an attitude.
  • Options
    idavidsonidavidson Member Posts: 41
    Hi,

My wife owns a Mazda5 2007 and we are very very
    happy with it.

It's time to buy a new car for me and I want to consider
    the Mazda5 2009 but have the following issues.
    Does the 2009 version rectify any of the following
    faults I found with my wife's 2007 model?
    Can anyone suggest some work arounds?

a) I'm 6 feet and the leg room is a little tight in the drivers seat.
    Also, the brake and accelerator are very close together
    (we both drive automatics).
    b) The cabin noise is quite loud (crappy toyo tires?)
    c) I drive a lot, so I'll burn through the 36K warranty very
    quickly.
    d) Towing, my wife's manual says she can't tow anything.
    I just want to tow a small trailer when I go camping to
    take a few bikes, tents, camping gear etc.
    e) Weak A/C. I live in hot sacramento and have two young
    children sitting in the rear who in the 2007 version don't
    get very cool.

Note, I love her car and there is much to recommend about
    it, but the above are major detractions for me.
  • Options
    5_more5_more Member Posts: 43
    Starting in 2008, the a/c system includes two additional high-powered vents for back passengers. The system's worked well for my family in 98F, high-humidity weather.

A mile is still a mile, so unless you drive less, you'll get to 36k just as fast.

The cabin may be a little more quiet.
  • Options
    speddyspeddy Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a 2008 mzd 5 gt two weeks ago.(the same as the 09) There is still no towing with a 5. They have added two a/c vents for the back of the car. I would suggest getting the windows tinted to help with that. I'm 6'1" and I have enough room in the drivers seat. I don't know about the noise issue I don't notice anything. The miles issue, I don't think there is an answer to that. Any car you get you will put miles on at the same rate. I really like the car. I told my wife we should buy another one since the deals are so good right now, (she said no) :cry:
  • Options
    ....HA! I have the same problem, I love my MZ5 so much and its practicality I told my wife we should trade in her 2004 Ford Escape Limited and get her a 2009 Grand Touring, but its a no go for her. She tends to get attached to her vehicles and it is very hard to peel her away from them. I will keep trying......
  • Options
    What problem? What are you guys talking about? :P

• Options
    Lucky smarta$$!! Just because you have "double the fun" doesn't mean you have to rub it in!

LOL!
  • Options
    :)

I bought the 06 for wife and I liked it so much that when it was time to trade-in my old ride, another Mazda5 got in the way. Deals are great now, but I also got a good one for the 08 back in 07, especially because it also came with Manual Tranny, which are even more rare to find...
  • Options
    speddyspeddy Member Posts: 16
    Nice! You even have the roof rack. That's going to be our next purchase.
  • Options
    ...I want a roof rack so bad, but I cant see paying so much ($250-300) for one, and I can't find one on eBay used either....errrrrrrr!!!!! >:(
  • Options
    simoncarsimoncar Member Posts: 4
    So the wife and I are considering a new car (maybe two new cars) to replace our high mileage cars (1995 Civic and 2000 Maxima)

I've a lot of reviews and many of these Mazda 5 forums - still have a few questions

1. This would be our first Mazda - worried a little about reliability. We would be expecting this vehicle to last 8-10 years with normal useage. What are Mazda owners opinions on reliability and build quality.

2. I kind of want a manual transmission - tell me your thoughts on whichever you have. Is the manual easy to drive - what about this manumatic or whatever Mazda calls this auto you can shift.

3. According to my logic - the manual transmission car should be sportier - that begins with fog lights for me and maybe the spoiler. Since Mazda won't give it to me - has anyone attempted these mods?

4. What other autos did you look at before picking the 5? Was the 5 an easy choice.

Hoping to test drive one later this week - but having a hard time finding a manual in DFW area
  • Options
    5_more5_more Member Posts: 43
    Regarding reliability, I bought another Mazda...

My last Mazda was an '87 323 Wagon. I sold it for $650 in 2002 with almost 240k miles on it and the original clutch -- which still did not slip.

The car spent all of it's life in the salt belt. Rust starting showing at roughly year 14.
  • Options
    1. That was my main concern when first buying my 06 MZ5 since I have been Honda avid. Bought mine used and now after 10,000 miles after still running smooth and strong. So it seems reliability is up to normal standards for Japanese vehicles. As far as build quality, perhaps Honda is a notch better then Mazda but about the same if not better then Nissan (at least in our models), but I see you are replacing a 95 Civic and a 00 Maxima. The MZ5 will definately be an upgrade, specially if you buy a new 09 model.

2. I went with the Automatic trans with the manual mode, solely because it was a used MZ5 that someone traded in at the dealership I work for and I could not pass the great deal I got on it ($12400 out the door including GAP). If it would have been a new model however, I would have opted for the manual trans, but this works because the wifee can now drive my vehicle as well (she never did before because all my vehicles have been manual trans.). The auto shifts like a normal auto but has this weird hesitation when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, this seems to be a normal operation on all 06'-07' model year 4-speed autos found on the MZ5s, I cannot speak for the new 5-speed auto found on later models. The manual mode seems to give the vehicle a more responsive and pep feeling but it certainly does not compare to a normal manual trans. I tend to use manual mode solely when I want to have control of what gear I want the trans to stay in sort of like going up a steep hill or in bumper to bumper traffic.

3. On 09' models I believe you can only get manual trans with the Sport model which to Mazda is the base model, so if you are going to go for the manual trans you will be able to add both foglights and the rear spoiler as an accessory. I do not know how hard it is to install since mine is a Touring and came with both already. If you opt for the Touring or Grand Touring however, you will get both of these already in the vehicle but you will have to go with the Auto trans.

4. The other models I looked at was the MZ3 wagon, Toyota Matrix, MZ6 Hatch, Honda Fit. All not enought room or sort of not appealing completely.

Hope my opinion helps you!
  • Options
    simoncarsimoncar Member Posts: 4
    Wanting to get impressions on Auto vs. Manual transmission for the Mazda5.

I really thought I wanted the manual, but it is really hard to find that version and it lacks a few things I think should be standard I could get with the Touring version over the Sport.

I'm hoping to test drive this weekend - will probably end up being a auto since based on the Mazda website the nearest manual is like 160 miles.

So if you auto owners could let me know how you think the auto accelerates, how the transmission responds when power is needed - I don't need a drag racer, but with a manual I would likely run the RPMs a little higher than the car manufacturer will design for the auto
  • Options
    laurgileslaurgiles Member Posts: 1
    I just took my 5 to the mechanic today and they're telling me it might be the AC compressor. I don't know for sure, they will let me know tomorrow morning but for what I read here, it seems that the 5 has a history of problems wit this part. I will keep you posted with any updates. Also, if anybody knows a good mechanic that can replace the compressor without costing me an arm and a leg please post it here. Thanks.