Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Car Buying Advice - Out of State Purchase

ikonosiikonosi Member Posts: 2
edited March 2017 in General
Hi,

How does an Out of state purchase work specially if it is cross country. I understand I will lose the lemon law protection. What else should I be worried about? How does shipping work? Does the dealer arrange for it or do I have to arrange it on my own? How much would that cost typically from east coast to west coast?

Thanks
Ik.

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,398
    ikonosi said:

Hi,

How does an Out of state purchase work specially if it is cross country. I understand I will lose the lemon law protection. What else should I be worried about? How does shipping work? Does the dealer arrange for it or do I have to arrange it on my own? How much would that cost typically from east coast to west coast?

Thanks
    Ik.

It would be very rare for a dealer to arrange shipping for you. Is there some reason you can't find the car on the West Coast? I'm not averse to buying out of town, but it's usually a place I can fly to, and drive the car back within the same day.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ikonosiikonosi Member Posts: 2
    I used to live in east coast and checked pricing with a dealer there and it is about $2.5k-3k cheaper. Checking to see if it is a better option to purchase there and have it shipped here.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,398
    ikonosi said:

I used to live in east coast and checked pricing with a dealer there and it is about $2.5k-3k cheaper. Checking to see if it is a better option to purchase there and have it shipped here.

Nothing special about the East Coast. Work harder at shopping where you are, and you should be able to match it. Which car is it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MunchooMunchoo Member Posts: 3
    You're probably going to pay anywhere from $1000 to $1500 for shipping, possibly more if you're using an enclosed carrier, which I'd probably recommend for a trip that long. I've used a good company called a1autotransport.com but it's always good to explore a couple options and get some prices before deciding. There are some shady ones out there so do your research and stick to the major long distance shippers.