Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru crosstrek vaprozation?

jxken11jxken11 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2017 in Subaru
Just wondering if anyone on here can help me out. I have a 2015 Subaru Crosstrek, purchased new in Connecticut. I drove this car back and forth to California 3 times and would have a 4th time if it hadn't died in Nevada. I had driven the car from Reno and was on the way to Salt Lake City, same route I usually took. The car began to lose acceleration, felt like I was being pushed backward by a very strong wind. Almost immediately my cars dashboard lit up like Christmas and my car just completely stopped. I had managed to get over far enough but the car would not turn on. I had 1/4 tank of gas in the car at the time. I attempted to turn the car on while I waited almost two hours for a tow. I ended up spending close to 3k just in waiting at hotels, rental cars, food, etc. because the dealership took a while to diagnose the problem. They came back telling me that it was due to vaporization which confused me since I wasn't on empty and I didn't have a problem the three times I had driven the same way stopping in both SLC and Reno over night. My car is a year and a half old, Subaru ended up shipping it home but I do not believe that my cars gas vaporized when I have lived in the Redwoods and driven on empty before in varying elevation. Trying to figure out if I should give the car back, since if my car cant go from state to state, depending on elevation, what's the point in driving a car, let alone a Subaru? Has anyone had this issue or heard of this? Is this diagnosis BS or is it justified? Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    That's a BS explanation to me. Cars have not suffered vapor lock for decades. Fuel injection systems and the high fuel pressures used eliminated vapor lock. The only way it might happen if there is a defect in the fuel system preventing it from maintaining proper pressure. I worked on vapor lock issues for several years on cars with carburetors.

Their answer is basically "we have no idea".
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd second that---bogus diagnosis.

The only way to approach this is to find out WHAT was lost when the car stalled. Did it lose ignition, fuel, injector pulse or compression? One of those "went south" and one of those caused your problem, directly or indirectly.

Oh, another possibility---problems with the car's EVAP system, which might create a vacuum in the gas tank and not allow the fuel pump to operate properly---so the gas tank's venting system could have been a problem.

Without seeing what trouble codes were extracted, or knowing what the dealer actually did to the car, it's hard to say more about it at this point.

I understand your loss of confidence in the car but the only way to get to the bottom of it (should it happen again, and it might not), is to diagnose it when it fails.