Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Which Era of Cars is your favorite?

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2017 in General
Whether it's for styling, performance, or features/accessories, which cars get your motor running? The era names I chose are NOT official in any sense :)

Which Era of Cars is your favorite? 14 votes

Vintage (pre-1930)
7% 1 vote
Pre-War (1930-1946)
0% 0 votes
Post-War (1947-1960)
7% 1 vote
Hot Wheels (1960-1980)
78% 11 votes
Jelly Beans (1980-2000)
0% 0 votes
Modern Era (2000-present)
7% 1 vote

Comments

  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A lot of this will be influenced by when you grew up, family cars, first cars, etc. Like the first car I remember riding in was Dad's '54 Plymouth Cranbrook. Last ride in that was on the way to trade it in on a 1960 Chevy Impala. I was kind of sad until I saw all the chrome and flattened out fins on the Impala. In the early days of manned spaceflight, that looked like a spaceship! :)

  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    My problem is that I prefer mid 50's - mid 60's. If I had to pick a decade it would be 60's.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Then pick Hot Wheels. In many cases the mid 60s cars are just better version of what you liked in the 50s.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Nobody said it was gonna be easy :)

    No doubt there will be individual cars that won't fit your choice or don't seem to fit in an era either. I really liked the 1970 240Z, but it doesn't really make me think of the Hot Wheels slot even though it comes from there.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    But that was a very popular Hot Wheels car!
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited March 2017

    But that was a very popular Hot Wheels car!

    As popular as the Deora? :)


  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,718
    I picked the '60-80 era. Even though there's a lot I like in the 50's, it's mainly the '55-59 era I like, whereas I can pick plenty from '60-80 that turns me on. Most of what I like from '80-'00 is actually holdovers that could be traced back to the 70's...stuff like the Mopar M-body, GM B/C body, Ford Panthers, etc. And the '00-current stuff, even though it performs better, is safer, more realible, gets better fuel economy, it better equipped, etc, just gets sort of a "meh", out of me. I get about as excited about buying a modern car as I would shopping for a refrigerator.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,232
    edited March 2017
    It is pretty hard to find a modern mainstream car that really gets the emotions going. Even not so ancient cars like the W116 I saw yesterday made me ooh and aah, but most moderns leave me a little bored. Now that I have done a new car thing a few times, it's not as exciting either (but still enjoyable).
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    fintail said:

    It is pretty hard to find a modern mainstream car that really gets the emotions going. Even not so ancient cars like the W116 I saw yesterday made me ooh and aah, but most moderns leave me a little bored. Now that I have done a new car thing a few times, it's not as exciting either (but still enjoyable).

    I feel ya! It's not as bad now as it was during what I call the "Taurus Era" when everything looked the same, just in different sizes... and a lot of them were teal green :)

    At least there are some different attempts at styling now, even if some of them fall a bit short
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,232
    Oh, I'd love to have a teal blue MB W140 or W124 500E.

    Styling today seems to have a few set mantras - there are still some nice cars, still some bland cars, but a lot of "different for the sake of different" material, with doses of faux edgy or aggressiveness just because.
    PF_Flyer said:


    I feel ya! It's not as bad now as it was during what I call the "Taurus Era" when everything looked the same, just in different sizes... and a lot of them were teal green :)

    At least there are some different attempts at styling now, even if some of them fall a bit short

  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I hear you on "different for the sake of different". Did that start with the Pontiac Aztek or are the roots deeper? :)
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,232
    edited March 2017
    I think the Aztek would be seen as somewhat minimalist and tasteful today. Weird proportions, but not nearly as offensive as it was 15 years ago. In a way, it was a pioneer, although its weirdness had function. I don't think function is as important now. It's all about being seen as exciting or dynamic even if you are the same trusty appliance as before.

    That seems to be the trend now - things become less offensive as you get used to them, but I wouldn't call much of it good design (I am talking to a certain brand in particular).
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,221
    fintail said:
    ..That seems to be the trend now - things become less offensive as you get used to them..
    That's how my wife tells me she has managed to stay married to me for over 36 years.   :D
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Since what goes around comes around... is Return of the Son of Fins on the horizon? B)
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    fintail said:

    I think the Aztek would be seen as somewhat minimalist and tasteful today. Weird proportions, but not nearly as offensive as it was 15 years ago. In a way, it was a pioneer, although its weirdness had function. I don't think function is as important now. It's all about being seen as exciting or dynamic even if you are the same trusty appliance as before.

    That seems to be the trend now - things become less offensive as you get used to them, but I wouldn't call much of it good design (I am talking to a certain brand in particular).

    Put a little cladding on the Prius, eh?


  • Options
    becausecarbecausecar Member Posts: 9
    I like vintage cars since I feel like it is more personal and imagine how hard it is to make them before unlike now. But I am also excited with the future designs of car since it makes drivers feels like they are not driving.

    But when it comes to design, VINTAGE wins my heart.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

    I like vintage cars since I feel like it is more personal and imagine how hard it is to make them before unlike now. But I am also excited with the future designs of car since it makes drivers feels like they are not driving.

    But when it comes to design, VINTAGE wins my heart.

    Although, thinking about making a vintage car, yes, it might be "hard", but everything mechanical in the car was so much less complicated back then, (no computers and all the neat stuff we have now) that an awful lot of folks took their shot at building cars with the idea that they could sell them
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Like older postwar cars for looks and advertising, but current cars for quality and driving. Guess you can't have it all.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Remember, we liked the way those older cars drove back then. :)
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Yeah, time is always relevant!
Sign In or Register to comment.