Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Plates fee- fair or foul?

bellevuewabellevuewa Posts: 1
edited April 2017 in Toyota
I settled on an out-the-door price for a '14 Sienna. When the dealership contacted me three weeks later to let me know the license plates had arrived, I was informed there would be a charge of $240 due to the underestimation of state licensing fees.

I did my internet research, and an additional $240 on the out-the-door sales price may have changed my decision to agree to the offer I accepted.

I this a reasonable charge, or should I question it? Thank you.

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 131,225

I settled on an out-the-door price for a '14 Sienna. When the dealership contacted me three weeks later to let me know the license plates had arrived, I was informed there would be a charge of $240 due to the underestimation of state licensing fees.

I did my internet research, and an additional $240 on the out-the-door sales price may have changed my decision to agree to the offer I accepted.

I this a reasonable charge, or should I question it? Thank you.

Even if you agree on OTD, the fees are broken out. If the actual fees are different, you'll have to pay them, obviously. That doesn't mean you can't go back to the sales manager and position the argument exactly as you did here. "If I'd known the fees weren't what you said they were, I would have offered a lower price. I agreed to pay $XXXXX out the door, and you agreed. Now you want more money. That doesn't seem right".

You know... no mention of their trying to cheat you, or anything like that. Just a recounting of the negotiations and what was agreed to. It might work, or it might not. It's worth a shot.

So, yes it's reasonable, but you should also question it. It never hurts to ask.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator