Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Shootout! Tundra vs Silverado

Comments

• 81chevy81chevy Member Posts: 37
    Its funny how these test have the American trucks have the smallest V8's they make instead of the biggest they make like the Toyota was equipped with.

Not to mention the highest rear-end gears that come with these pickups, not 4.10's which can be had on the Chevy I know.

Looks like a biased test again, wow good source bamatunrda
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    Looks like them Silverados whipped up on them limited ones for sure! Here be one last compare for ya. Compare that pint sized yuppie haulin tundra drivetrain with that "full size" workin mans Silverado drivetrain now. Use your eyes for this one. Good luck on this one now!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    It is hard to do a comparison on a Silverado and a Tundra. Trim levels - available options Vs standard equipment make it hard to get the same equipment on both trucks. Also comparing MSRP does not tell the real story, it is what you have to pay for the truck that matters. I am sure someone has paid invoice (or less) for a Tundra and someone has also paid full MSRP (or more)for a Silverado but these situations would be rare. IMO the price "most" people pay for a Tundra will be more than what you would have to pay for a Silverado with similar equipment.

My previous post was just pointing out that you are wrong when you say a Tundra will tow up to its max rating without additional options, and in fact the options required to tow 7,000 pounds cost much more on your Tundra than they do a Silverado.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    People have caught onto the flawed tests done by Toyota. The engines used were Toyota's top of the line engine offered in the Tundra vs the lowest V8 engines offered in the Domestics. Folks have also started to question the rear axle and drive line used, (Same as Toyota Tacoma). Side by side the Chevy/Dodge/Ford dwarf the Tundra. Why doesn't Toyota offer even a limited slip rearend? Sales of the Tundra have also slowed considerably. It was only a matter of time for the truth to come out. The Tundra is not a full size truck, nor can it outpull, tow, accelerate Chevy/Dodge/Ford. Better luck next time Toyota.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I'm sure you all have seen this before, but in case you have not, here it is again, the link for the Shootout story from February.

http://members.aol.com/sturbridg1/utahtrek.html
    The word be gettin out quick on them limited ones now for sure. That factory smoke be clearin, folks be seein clearer now. They aint no "full size" one for sure now. Good luck on this one now!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    warning on 4-dr Silverados (sadchevyowner) Sun 07 May '00 (02:16 PM)

I bought a 3-door Silverado LS 5.3L extended cab
    model on January 31, 2000. It was nothing but a
    structural and mechanical nightmare. The 3 door
    model had General tires. Several trips to the
    dealer made them better, but far from perfect.
    Finally I made a deal to exchange the 3-door(at
    2500 miles) for a 4-door model(at considerable $$$
    expense to me).

I got the 4-door LS in early April. I am very sad
    to say that it has all the problems of the 3-door
    models and maybe more. With 1000 miles, the dealer
    says that 3 out of 4 of the Goodyear Wrangler ST
    tires on the 4-door model are out of round.
    Also, they suspect that the cruise control module
    is defective(knocking noise at low speeds). My
    truck spent last week in the shop and I'm sure it
    will be there next week, too. (Still waiting on
    them to come up with three new tires and to
    diagnose the rest of the problems.)

Warning: Heed what you read here. I read it all
    and thought "this won't happen to me".

The Silverado is very intoxicating. The best
    looking and best appointed truck on the road.

However, just read Consumer Reports. They tell it
    like it is. These trucks are totally unreliable
    and will give you nothing but heartache and
    headaches. They are at the absolute bottom of the
    ratings on reliability.

I convinced myself that the problems with the
    first vehicle were a statistical oddity and that
    there was no way it would happen again. Well, I'm
    now convinced that it definitely wasn't a
    statistical oddity. All the complaints on this
    site are very valid.

These are very bad vehicles and they turn what
    should be a happy experience into a nightmare.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    and what does bam drive?
    How are you going to get that Chevy 1/2 ton of yours to tow 9400 lbs. Let's see - you would need the 5.3 liter motor and the tow package but that would only get you to 7500 lbs. Wow! You can spend thousands more for the Silverado to get 300 lbs. more towing capacity! Makes me want to run out and get one now!

You can probably get to 9400 lbs with a 3/4 ton and a 6.0 liter motor for even more money, but we are comparing 1/2 ton pickups - remember?

As far as the AMCI testing goes they used a standard configuration Silverado. Why Chevy chooses to equip their pickups to not tow as well as the Tundra is not my problem. I suspect it is to get better gas mileage. It is all trade-offs you can get a Chevy with 4.1 gears but you will be paying through the nose for gasoline.

The Tundra is shorter with a shorter wheelbase( although the bed is about the same size) but this gives it much more maneuverability and off-road capability. It also makes the truck lighter which helps fuel economy, towing and hauling ability.

You cannot get a truck which is the best at everything. The Toyota is a good compromise and the Silverado is a good compromise. You have to choose which abilities are the ones which are most important to you.
    Ya just not gettin it are ya? Folks that be workin them trucks be wantin a "full size" one. They not be needin no forein, pint sized, little pee-wee truck. What part of this aint ya gettin? Them limited ones aint got the haul a workin man be needin now. They be made for the yuppie, who be reachin for that fad. Them big3 ones be suited for them that works that truck. This be how it is, even if ya be readin the opposite in them magazines now. Good luck on this one now!
    with the 4.8 liter with 4.10 gears you can tow 8500, with 3.73 it is 7,500

again this is 4x4

2wd would be 7,800 with 3.73 and 6,800 with 3.42
    they don't offer 4.10 in the1/2 ton 2wd

Well as far as you last paragraph, I never said the Tundra wasnt' a good truck for what it is designed for. I'm just saying that the Silverado is the one with towing advantage
    Here is where I got my numbers:http://www.trucktrend.com/feb99/4x4/4x4_f.html

It says that the 1500 4X4 with 3.73 has a max towing capacity of 7500 lbs.

Can you give a link to your numbers?
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    285 ft lbs is the 4.8

'99 5.3 was 315 ftlbs
    '00 is 325 ftlbs
  • gotribe1gotribe1 Member Posts: 81
    Dude, take a breath once in a while. Its great you love your truck so much, but man.... I started to shop for a truck in February. I have had two Ford F150s and was driving a 94 silverado extended cab. I sold Chevy's for 8 years and then sold Infiniti for 7 years. I RESPECT the quality that Toyota offers. I could get a great deal on a Tundra because the Infiniti dealer I worked at also owned two Toyota stores. I could get a great deal on a Ford or Dodge because I have friends in management at those dealers. I looked at and drove the Ford. Nice truck but skimpy on room and tough to get into. I did the same with the Chevy and was very impressed but concerned with quality on a new model. I only looked at the Tundra. Nicely laid out, I know the quality is great, but it was TINY. DUDE did you know that if you rearrange the letters in Tundra you can spell out da runt?! I love my SILVERADO! More power, more towing capability, better mileage, far better 4wd system [AUTOTRAC], better colors, better looks, better in most every way. And I Wanted to buy Toyota quality, but not with all the compromises!
    I know from you previous post you don't know anything about towing a trailer, but a longer wheel base is better for towing - provides more stability. I also think Silverado has a tighter turning radius than the Tundra. (4x4 LT VS Tundra Limited).

You should also take note that the Silverado 5.3 gets better MPG (even with 4.1 rear end) than the Tundra.

You should do a little research before you post -
    Well you have to consider that the model came out right after a strike.

Now , from all the silverado's I have seen they all had satisfied owners with no quality problems, so you have to go with what you experience.

When I drove one it was the most impressive truck I have driven.

plus my 81 Chevy with 325,000 on it has Tranny that has never been overhauled, and is only on second engine which was replaced in 96. And this truck tows
  • dodge50dodge50 Member Posts: 14
    What kind of shootout is this Toyota vs Chevy if you want a real truck buy a Dodge. Chevy & Toyota trucks are junk.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Generalistic post from a simplistic person....
    Hey Bill,

I suggest that you do a little more research:
    The Silverado LT Extended Cab Short bed 4WD turning radius is 47.3 ft.

The Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4WD turning radius is 44.3 ft.

You insist that it is cheaper to equip a Silverado for towing but I showed that it actually costs $2000 more than a similarly equipped Tundra.

You are correct that you can equip a Silverado to tow 9400 lbs. but it will cost you thousands more than the Tundra and it will still be a 1/2 ton pickup. If it is towing ability you are looking for you should be looking at a F250 or F350.

Judging by the accuracy of your posts thus far, I would like to see your source on the gas mileage for the Silverado 5.3L with 4.1 gears.

Trailer Life magazine tested the Tundra towing a 6000lb. trailer through the Sierra Nevadas and were very impressed with its ability.
    When I bought my Tundra I drove a Silverado. It had numerous rattles new! The sales guy told me "Its a truck, they all do that". The interior also had a very cheap Fisher Price look. I was not impressed. It did have a very nice back seat however. At the time, 4 door Silverados were not available - a very big minus. I didn't like the '70s era styling either. Chalk that up to personal preference. Consumer reports rated the predicted reliability "much worse than average" particularly the 4WD. I wanted a 4WD.

I drove a Tundra. Very nice ride. It had a smaller rear seat, but I have two kids riding back there most of the time and it is fine for adults for short trips. I was impressed with the power and the smoothness of the V8. It was also very quiet and smooth on the highway. Quieter than many sedans. I wasn't too impressed with the Tundra styling - it looked too much like the F-150. I wish they had branched out a little more and looked more distinctive.

I drove a Ford F150 next. The interior room seemed about the same as the Tundra. The rear seating seemed about the same. (I guess it must not be a "full size" pickup either!) It was very nice but I liked the Tundra better.

My "micro-size" pickup will actually haul more than the Silverado: The Tundra Access cab V8 4WD hauls 1680 lbs. and the Silverado extended cab V8 4WD short bed is only rated for 1603 lbs. Seems like "full-size" will not haul as much.

I am glad that you Silverado owners like your trucks, but to say that the Tundra cannot compete because it is not "full size" is just wrong. It reminds me of the GM executives that decided that full size pickups only needed 3 doors.

I would like nothing better than to buy an american truck. As soon as the Big3 makes a quality truck that meets my needs as well as the Tundra - I will buy one.
    The fact is the fact on them pee-wee trucks. Glad ya be likin that "smooth highway ride" on that limited one. The workin man be needin a real truck, not some pee-wee yuppie truck now. Eyeball that "bed" on that truck, they got too be kiddin, that aint no "full size" bed, it be only bout 12 inch deep now! Get that factory smoke outa your eyes now, them ones aint "full size", and quotin a bunch of made-up facts sure aint goin make em "full size". Good luck on this one now!
  • nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    I picked up my 2000 Sierra Ext Cab 4Dr $x4 Thursday night.I drove a Dodge,a(gulp)Ford(just to see what it was like,it was never in the running),and the Tundra.This is what I thought:
    1.The Tundra WAS too small,like a Dakota.I did like it,but it was just too little for me and my dogs to be comfortable in for hours on end.
    2.The Ford sucked,slow,ugly dash and outside too,didn't really like the seat,either.
    3.The Dodge wasn't bad,I drove kind of a stripper quadcab with the 360.It drove fine,looks great,and I was pretty close to buying one,then I drove the Chevy.
    4.Chevy-Liked the looks,not as much as the Dodge,but ok.Interior room very good,seat was fine,only the Dodge and GM trucks had seats I was ok in.The Chevy I drove had a 4.8,I was pretty impressed with it,especially since I thought it was a 5.3!I drove a 5.3 a few minutes later,and was very impressed.The truck was their main demo,and had a couple of thousand on it,so I drove the hell out of it for a half hour,and I was sold.Liked the GMC dealer better,so I went to him,instead of getting the Chevy.But I do like the front on the Chevy a little better.
    5.The thing is spooky quiet so far,with like 125 miles on it,no wind noise at all.Stereo is kind of pitiful,the Dodge had the best factory one,from what I heard,so the speakers will be replaced soon,and the head unit later,as soon as I get some money saved up after buying Nerf Bars,a bed lid,and the spray in liner...
    The Toy's a nice truck,but it really competes with the Durango,not the Ford/GM full size.I wonder if the Nissan truck will really be full size,or Tundra sized?
    My source was Motor Trend - May issue Pickup Shootout: It lists

Turning circle - Silverado 40.7, Tundra 44.3

Fuel economy per EPA Silverado (4.1 Rear) 15/18
    Tundra 14/17 city/ hwy.

As far as your opinion that Tundra costs $2,000 less that Silverado go read post #59. You may also like to look over the "How much did you pay" topics on both Tundra and Silverado -
    When I built a Silverado to tow 9400 the price and compared it using a car website,(which one was it I forget) and it showed a similiar equiped Chevy was cheaper by almost 1,000 than the Tundra, so you can really argue price because there are so many differnt price you can end up with.

Your Comment:
    My "micro-size" pickup will actually haul more
    than the Silverado: The Tundra Access cab V8 4WD
    hauls 1680 lbs. and the Silverado extended cab V8
    4WD short bed is only rated for 1603 lbs. Seems
    like "full-size" will not haul as much.
    "

is wrong, the Extended Cab Silveradop Short Box, 1500, 4x4 can have a payload of 1779 with 4.8L
    and to make a Chevy be ready to haul 9400 lbs is about 1,000$ not including the auto you have to, but lets be realistic almost nobody buys a manual these days.
    Aren't you supposed to be posting some pictures of you, pulling out a stuck Z71 or something?

Good luck on this one now!
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    Looked at both with plans to order a new one.
    Decided to order/purchase a Silverado with the 5.3
    instead of the Tundra. Did not like the style and
    small size of the Tundra, but I don't question the
    sound quality of the Tundra. Toyota must revise
    its styling and sizing if its wants to get into he
    market sales of Silverados and the other full size
    trucks. Otherwise the Tundra will only be on the
    market for a few short years. Sales volume will be
    the downfall. Owners will take a beating on
    resale. Major mistake in building that size
    truck(Tundra). Should have stayed with the small
    trucks if they were not going to to all the way.
    Sorry Tundra owners, I do not mean to step on your
    toes, but that is the way I see it. Bob
    That be the truth on them tundras now. They just aint "full size", just like them t100 ones. Them tundras already tough too sell, bein outsold by all other pickups, big and small now! They be goin the way of them t100 ones, and quick. Next thing ya know them head-gaskets be popin too! Good luck on this one now!
  • lukacslukacs Member Posts: 23
    What's this BS about comparing the largest available V8 engines? The way I see it, the 4.7L is the smallest V8 you can get in a Tundra.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    No BS, the 4.7 is the only V8 from toyota and its also the highest hp engine option for the tundra. If you want to compare the highest hp engines the Silverado has the 5.3 and 6.0. Not to mention the new 8.1 soon. In fact its cheaper to get a 5.3/auto then the 4.8/auto.
    Them limited ones aint got but one V8 engine now. "Da Runt" dont come with a whole lo of options like them big3 ones. Remember, them tundras for that yuppie reachin for that fad, options and such have little meaning too them ones doin the reachin now. Good luck on this one now!
  • ckski1ckski1 Member Posts: 20
    A yea...
    whatever...
    Go out and enjoy your trucks!
    No matter the size shape or color. Fun does not descriminate!
    Unless it's in the shop or broken down.
    went off-roading in my Tundra and loved it!
    I looked at Chevy'e too. It is kinda hard buying something that broke before it was even test driven! The power seat on the driver's side broke.
    Placed my bet on Toyota upkeeping it's reliablilty. First year, don't know for sure but am keeping the finger's crossed.

2000 Toyota Tundra vibration/shake (163 posts)

• lemonjeep2lemonjeep2 Member Posts: 32
    (obvious sweathogs reference, if you remember "Welcome Back Kotter")

Anyway, I checked that topic, and guess what, many of the posts were from trucksrme, bud light dude, etc, (ie: non tundra owners). Last post in April since it was consolidated, and havn't heard much about it since.

Factory seems to have resolved the problem, as it does not seem to be reported by new owners, so why keep beating a dead horse? Ours is smooth as glass. (I'm assuming you have glass windows in your shack, not tarpaper)

This was an introductory model year vehicle, and I hate to say it but they usually do have some problems, no matter what the manufacturer. A wheel balancing problem at that.

By comparison, Our 1st year 99 model jeep grand cherokee spent over 60 days in the shop (with major engine/transmission/driveline problems) it's 1st year before DC bought it back, but our 1st year Tundra has been a dream. Do the math.

Maybe you can dredge up your "ol traler hich" argument one more time if it makes you feel better.
    Go on over too that tundra solutions website, they
    be reportin hard shifin trannies, doors popin
    open, shavins in engine, electrical troubles,
    vibrations, fit and finsh woes, that list be goin
    on and on now. Ya aint foolin no one on them posts now, them limited ones just as "shakey" as any other now. Fact be the fact on this one. But that biggest flaw on them tundras be this: Less truck/more buck. This one be kinda hard too fix now. Good luck on this one now.
    You just don't get it. TUNDRA - J.D Powers award winner for best initial quality in full size pickups.

In contrast Consumer Reports rated Silverado -90% in predicted reliability for 2000. And 4WD vehicles rated worse. It was off their charts! This was based on customer surveys filled out by OWNERS of 1999 Silverados.

Now who am I to believe - a hick who does not have a second grade knowledge of grammar and spelling or two surveys conducted by well respected consumer advocacy groups?
    Bama and lemon,
    Full size wannabes. Having serious doubts, so they dig deep looking for value in the empty pocket, desperately hoping for a flaw to convince them they made the right decision choosing drum brakes, weak horns, puny heaters, weak air conditioners, chipping paint, rattling doors, shaking seats, car engines with 60,000 mile rubber timing belts, small truck drivetrain parts. We should all feel sorry for these unhappy, inadequate feeling owners. They just can't come to terms with the reality that yuppie wisdom only prevails in Mr. Roger's neighborhood, not in the hard working truck force fleets.
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Gentlemen,

Don't waste your time with these two hopeless cases! Lemonjeep2 & Bamatundra or whatever he calls himself today (rwellbaum) are only interested in pushing their agenda (knocking the Chevy) & don't want to have a genuine discussion on the differences between the two trucks.
    I'm finished. But it's hard to stop when you're having fun.
  • lemonjeep2lemonjeep2 Member Posts: 32
    In post 99 Quad saya "a full size wannabe". Actually this is not true, as a "full size" qualified truck was not my number one priority in this buying decision. (I already have a full size Dodge Ram 4x4to meet your supposed "full size"need, not to mention Sebring convertible, Mustang, and a '59 Nomad).I am most pleased with the size of the Tundra, and am not suffering size envy.

"digging in my empty pockets" is also not an accurate statement, as my loaded limited was only $25,200 after lengthy negotiations through a fleet dealer on a Costco buying program. (It was also the end of the month, when it is possible to get a better deal from most any brands dealer). I only part with my cash when I know it's a proper deal.

Also my personal agenda has never been to bash Chevy trucks, but ever since I started scanning these boards trucksrme has been spouting that the Chevy is the best thing since sliced bread. You on the other hand have seemed more level headed. I was merely refuting the fact of trucksrme statement of the Chevy's being the best darn things on the planet are not 100% accurate.

After our Jeep fiasco, we were searching for a good reliable vehicle. There are many good trucks out there, but the Tundra has captured the #1 initial quality award, is a recommended buy, and is built by a company with a strong track record, and has sold all their production with no need for rebates or incentives.

I came to the Tundra bulletin boards to learn and contribute. I scanned the Chevy boards too, but did not post on the Chevy only boards because (duh) I am not a Chevy owner and do not have Chevy experience. So why should I want to post there, or why would people want me to post there. Look for yourself. I save all my posting for boards related to the Tundra. Just good manners.

On the other hand, trucksrme has his face in all the Tundra bulletin boards on a seemingly daily basis, but when I scanned the various Chevy boards, I saw nary a post from him. If you are a frequent visitor to the boards, you know this is true. He only spends time on other boards bashing their product in his special country way. A valuable use of trolling time. For his methods, I felt a reply was necessary.

I was sorry to see you go with the immature mode of trucksrme and refer to all Tundra owners as yuppies, wannabe's, etc. Facts are what wins an argument, not name calling.

Sorry I got into a battle of wits with an unarmed person (trucksrme), but it was too easy to come up with facts to dispute his spouting off.
    believe people you met, you cant trust any magazine and thats the truth

I talk to people and from what I have heard and seen Silverado has the build quality of the Tundra, from what I have seen being in them.

I would rather not argue about reliablity because from what I have seen every company has their problem, early 90's toyotas with the exhaust valves, head gasket's etc, and early 90 Chevy's with distributor shaft woes. As far as I can tell you are going to end spending the same on the Silverado or Tundra

I would rather talk about something that we physically have in our hands, like towing capacity, engine specs etc.

Wouldn't that be better for everyone?
    With all that back-slappin between ya tundra
    owners now, someone got too be keepin that truth.
    Speakin the truth aint bashin em now. Course the
    yuppie, deep down knowin he paided too much buck
    for too little truck, cant be standin too hear that truth now, gets em mad when ya be pointin it out too em. Next time get ya a real one, then ya wont need too be back-slappin with them other folks who be feelin just as bad as ya do now. Good luck on this one now!
    >>>Also my personal agenda has never been to bash Chevy trucks, but ever since I started scanning these boards trucksrme has been spouting that the Chevy is the best thing since sliced bread. You on the other hand have seemed more level headed. I was merely refuting the fact of trucksrme statement of
    the Chevy's being the best darn things on the
    planet are not 100% accurate.<<<

"Merely refuting" is just a nice way of saying it's okay for you to make a post like #93, which by the way, I was merely refuting in #99. I'm afraid I do sense your remorse. There can be no other explanation for wasting time digging up negatives about a truck that you already passed on.

• page3page3 Member Posts: 54
    I was wondering why they put the door handles for the back doors on the outside unlike the gm trucks that are hidden. You can't open them before you open the front door can you?
    Them ones open the same as the rest. Them handles be that way for "style", got no function over them big3 ones now. Good luck on this one now!
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Quad and trucksrme are one in the same. No need to differentiate.
    Folks was sayin I be dave40, now folks sayin I be Quad. Truth be this, I be trucksrme, cousin too trucks4me (Franklin), and my GrandUncle be Rubluetoo(Bob Jones Sr. also know as Rube). Good luck on this one now!
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    A whole family of idiotic Tundra bashers!
  • dodge50dodge50 Member Posts: 14
    Hey Trucksrme take some speech classes so he can let how to talk. Sorry Truckrme I forgot you are a Toyota Tundra man. No wonder you do not know how to talk right. By the way good luck on this one now!
    Huh? What ya be sayin on that one? Not followin that one too clear now. Good luck on this one now!
    So are you saying (in post 102) that as long as you already own a real full size truck (in your case a Ram 4x4) the Tunndra would be a good truck to buy?
This discussion has been closed.