Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Pickup Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Ford F-Series Pickup. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• volatile1volatile1 Member Posts: 2
    Car_man,

Is it worth it to lease a 2005 F-150 in general? I have not heard anything great about Ford motor credit and leasing or the trucks residual. I have to make a decision by october 1rst. They just extended the family plan. Any Idea what the residual and money factor would be on a 2005 f-150 Lariat 2WD should run on a 36 month lease? Does an outside lease company make sense?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi volatile1. Ford Credit's lease program on the F-Series traditionally had not been very impressive. The 2005 F-150 is no exception to this, its current lease program stinks. If I was in the market for this truck, I personally would probably finance it at Ford's Employee Price through Ford Credit at 4.9% for 5 years + a $1,000 bonus. If you were to lease a 2005 F-150 SuperCab Lariat 2WD through Ford Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 7.25% and 46%, respectively. As you can see, Ford Credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. You may be able to lease this truck for less through an independent bank that you would be able to through Ford Credit right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • hey765hey765 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am looking at a lease agreement for a 2005 F150 XLT. While the selling price of $23,964 is very palatable, the residual is based on the base MSRP of $35,000! This is leaving a residual value of $20,650 after a 24 month lease. While I think the selling price is great it just doesn't make sense in the long run to to this! I do have some credit issues and Ford Credit was recommended as a way to get into a car/truck while rebuilding credit. The worst case scenario is getting a Tier 4 credit approval yielding a 14.25 money factor rate ( $483/month with tax). Edmunds has the exact truck selling for (TMV) $29,250 and a MSRP of 34,675. They also gave me the rates of residual was 59% of MSRP for 24 month and 52% of MSRP for 36 months; how does this sound?

I guess my question is how negotiable is that value that the residual is based on? This vehicle is one I would want to buy out at the end of the lease.

Thanx!
    Hi hey765. Vehicles' residual values are always based upon a percentage of their full MSRPs. This is a standard industry practice. It would be difficult for banks to use a percentage of vehicles' selling prices a a standard because everyone pays a different price for their car or truck. They use vehicles' MSRPs because they are consistent. Even if vehicles' selling prices were used as the standard, banks would just adjust and make their residual value percentages higher. To be honest with you, the higher your truck's residual value is, the better off you are. This is because the more your truck is worth at lease end, the less you have to pay for depreciation in your lease payment and the lower it will be. Vehicles' residual values are set by banks, not dealers, and are generally not negotiable.

14% interest is a lot to pay on such an expensive truck. You may be better off going with a less expensive vehicle, perhaps even a used F-Series until you get your credit built back up and can finance a new truck at a lower interest rate.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Car_man! Useful information. I have always bought, never leased. Do dealerships typically lease used vehicles? I was under the impression they don't and only smaller used car lots would do that? Part of what I'm trying to do is use Ford Credit as a way to improve my credit and being they are mainstream, they are better to have as a lender rather than what a used car lot would provide for a high credit risk person.

I agree, 14% is extremely high and if my credit were to be approved at that rate I most likely would not do the lease. It is the worst case scenario in light of recently discharged bankruptcy... :cry:

Thanks again,
    Hey765
    Hi,

I did get a great rate for leasing the F150 ( 8.5%, Ford Tier 1). I am concerned with what happens when I turn it in. I kinda feel vulnerable to nit picking adding up to thousands of dollars at the dealer. Ford has a Wear Care program which they are pricing to me at $26.67/month on a 24 month lease. I was wondering what other people have paid, how they set that and if people have negotiated it down. I seem to remember seeing it on a website by ford or ford credit listing $15 - $20.month to get the $2500 worth of protection. Of course the dealership is saying if you have it, they pretty much wave the car through at the end of the lease, otherwise they nit pick. No pressure to buy that ;) .

Anybody ever negotiate it or have more information on how they calulate it: flat fee for all cars and trucks or?

Thanks
    No problem Hey765. Some banks, including a number of manufacturers' captive finance companies lease used vehicles. The problem with leasing used vehicles is that they often end up costing more, or around the same, to lease as equivalent new models. This is because automakers provide support in the form of low interest rates, cash incentives, and inflated residual values on many new vehicle leases but they rarely do so on used vehicle leases. BMW is one of the few manufacturers that I can think of that has a fairly attractive used vehicle lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    I'm glad to hear that you ended up getting a decent interest rate, hey765. Don't worry too much about being nit picked about your truck's condition when you return it at the end of your lease. Most captive finance companies, like Ford Credit, are very reasonable when evaluating the condition of vehicles at the ends of leases. Of course, if your tires are really bald or your truck has some huge dents or scratches you will be charged for them, but the last thing that Ford wants to do is nickel and dime you to death, make you mad, and end up losing your future business.

Car_man
    Host
  • irgirg Member Posts: 197
    Was wondering about the details of this lease I saw advertised. A F-150 XLT 4x4 (I think a supercab, not sure) for $199/month for 24 months. Couldn't tell if there was anything down or not. Anyone know of this deal? Seems good to me.

Also, can car seats be used in a supercab, or do they only work with a quad cab?
    Hello irg. I have not seen the specific advertised lease that you mentioned in your post, but I can calculate exactly how much it would cost to lease any F-150 that you want, exactly as you want it equipped. Look up the full MSRP of the truck that you are interested in in the New Vehicle Pricing section of this site. Then stop by the following discussion to get an idea of how much you should pay for the truck that you want: /WebX?14.ef17d3a. Once you have an idea of the MSRP and selling price, let me know and I will estimate how much this truck should cost you to lease using Ford's actual lease program.

Car_man
    Host
  • m2bordm2bord Member Posts: 2
    i've had a couple of trucks leased from ford before.

one of them i had zero problems with..the last one i hated the dealer because they pulled a switcheroo on me. we negotiated on one vehicle and they found a cheaper one with the same exterior, hid the window sticker and i was none the wiser until i found the sticker more than a week later tucked under the passenger seat.

i told ford motor credit immediately what happened and the absolved me from returning the car back to that dealer.

however...i live in texas and my understanding is that we have a different ford lease program here called the red carpet option.

i've always negotiated the price on the truck first and then work out leasing details after we've settled on the price.

then in the f&i room i go over every square inch about the lease details. if i see something i don't like...i don't sign or i just walk out.

i owe the dealer nothing. and if they want my business they'll meet my terms.
  • buckeyechadbuckeyechad Member Posts: 1
    in the market for full size truck and looking at f150 super crew cab. msrp is 31160 with sale price of 24000 and putting 2000 dollars down. would appreciate any advice or assistance
  • corradcorrad Member Posts: 6
    Hi car_man,

Do you know what is the current money factor and residual value on the F-150 fro 36 months (for both 2005 and 2005 models)? Can the $4000 offered by Ford be used to toward the calculation of the negotiated price? Thank you.
    Hi buckeyechad. I would be happy to give you an idea of what sort of lease payment you can expect to pay for this truck. Its exact payment will depend upon how long you want to lease it for and how many miles per year you are allowed to drive it though. Let's say that you were to lease a 2006 Ford D-150 Super Crew XLT 4WD with an MSRP of $31,160 and a selling price of $24,000 through Ford Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $255. With a $2,000 down payment, which I advise against making, the payment for this truck would drop to around $197. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for this truck would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $2,000 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi corrad. Ford's lease program for this truck varies, depending upon exactly which trim level you are interested in. For now, I will assume that you want a Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT 4WD. Let me know if you want a different truck than this, which is very likely given the large number of versions that Ford has. If you were to lease a 2006 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT 4WD through Ford Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 5.0% and 48%, respectively. As you can see, Ford publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rate into an approximate equivalent money factor by dividing it by 2400. Ford is no longer providing any sort of lease support on the 2005 F-150. Unfortunately, the $4,000 customer cash that you mentioned is not available on leases of the '06 F-150. Ford is currently providing a total of $1,750 in cash incentives on leases of this truck through Ford Credit.

Car_man
    Host
  • jvosjvos Member Posts: 91
    Now that its 2006, what are the money factors available on SuperCab 4WDs? Also, what other incentives are available?
    Anyone?
  • dkowitzdkowitz Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at leasing a F150 Supercrew and through my company, have the ability to receive an "X plan" price... Do you feel I should use this or do you think I can get a better sales price on my own?
    Hello jvos. Ford's lease rates and residual values vary depending upon how long you lease for and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. If you were to lease a 2006 Ford F-150 SuperCab XL 4WD through Ford Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be around 2.5% and 48%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this truck, keep in mind that Ford is providing a total of $1,750 lease cash on it this month. This will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease. Also, Ford is waiving the first month's payment on leases of this truck through Ford Credit right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dkowitz. I suspect that you will be able to get a better deal by purchasing this truck through Ford's X-Plan than you will be able to negotiate on your own, but it wouldn't hurt to shop around just to make certain. You also may want to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for their F-Series pickups lately: "Ford F-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
  • dkowitzdkowitz Member Posts: 4
    Thanks... I looked at the entries and it appears there were a lot of great deals going around (25% off msrp)... Are those deals still to be had in 2006 and if so, how should I go about asking/negotiating?
    Car man -

Thanks. So I can assume the 1750 is on top of whatever I can negotiate from the Ford dealer?
  • tina0513tina0513 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have just leased a Ford F150 Supercrew and of course we have 3 days to take it back if not satisfied. But I LOVE IT. But anyways we put a trade in which they said they gave us $1800.00 and we put another $1500.00 on top of that and then there was a $1750.00 rebate for the truck. Now OUR payments are $220.93 a month we plan on paying for a whole year. But anyways I don't feel we made out right. I think we over paid. I had a advertisement for the truck at the dealership that said if you had $2500.00 down and then tax title plates, the payments would be $179.00. Well the dealership didn't know anything about the ad and they keep telling us that we would have to put more money down. Monday we are going back to the dealership and talking to the owner. Are we doing the right thing. I think we got SCREWED, out of over a thousand dollars. If anyone can help me with any of this. Please give me some answers or something I CAN use against the dealership. Thanks Tina
  • spacemagnetspacemagnet Member Posts: 3
    I am wondering if anyone has leased a quadcab 150 in Lariat trim (4x2) and if so how much is your monthly lease? Or better yet, how much off MSRP call you get one for, it seems there is at 3000 of incentives right now, has anyone leased one lately?
    You're welcome dkowitz. It is a very competitive automotive market right now. I definitely think that you should be able to negotiate an attractive deal on the pickup that you are interested in. If I was in the market for one, I would look in the "Prices Paid" discussion that I provided you with the link to earlier to see how much other community members are paying for similar trucks lately. Armed with that information, I would comparison shop with a few local dealers either in person, over the phone, or by e-mail to see what sort of price I can get on the truck that I want in my area.

Car_man
    Host
    Absolutely jvos. Ford pays for any cash incentives on its vehicles and they should have no impact upon your ability to negotiate the price of the vehicle that you want. Shop around and negotiate the lowest possible price that you can on the F-150 that you want, stipulating that any available cash incentives should be deducted from it.

Car_man
    Host
    I'm sorry to hear that you believe you didn't get a new deal on your truck, Tina. Unfortunately, now that you have signed all of the necessary paperwork and have physically driven the truck off of the dealer's lot I am afraid that you are going to have a very hard time getting out of this deal. This is way it is extremely important to do as much research as possible about the vehicle that you want and how leasing works before getting into serious negotiations with any dealers. You never mentioned the two most important numbers to focus on when leasing, the MSRP and selling price of the truck that you got. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable. Without knowing the MSRP and price that you are paying, it is difficult to tell how much of a discount you are being given. Furthermore, these numbers are necessary to calculate lease payments. If you let me know what these numbers are, I will give you my opinion on this deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • drew19781996drew19781996 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to lease a new F150 soon. Was hoping some people could share their experiences in recently completed leases and post any deals you might have seen.
  • longhornlimolonghornlimo Member Posts: 5
    24 month lease for $199, Lease End Value $18716
    10.5k miles/yr, 0.5 apr.

I'm still working on the purchase price but the MSRP is $30970 and with Texas edition discount.... other rebates total $5000(maybe 5500 w/ student.) Do all these apply for lease. (they might be higher in Texas with our total sales price tax upfront.)

Carman... I was wondering about the red carpet option 10.5k miles for 24 and 36. All your advice has helped my confidence.

I'm tempted but playing it cool...also posted in prices paid for f150

my rebate includes bonus cash of 2500 which I suspect is the $1000 perfect match down payment Using some Customer cash..... how is the best way to go about it...Is it worth it if doesnt change my residual. I'm thinking yes because i earn 100% and is applied to payments.

Tempted but cautious.......thanks for any help.

Oh and my wife wants the same for an explorer xlt v6 third row with curtain airbag please lol
    my current F&I deal worsheet has me at purchase price $26650, 18716 ballon, 50 doc fee, 1473.52 TEXAS tax, payment 175.70 x 24
    My deal is a Balloon payment purchase. I'm in the wrong place I guess :confuse: . My posts are moving to the F150 purchase experiences discussion. Please stumble on over if you're interested...
  • doctor_tdoctor_t Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at the FordDirect.com Perfect Match 2006 F-150 Supercrew XLT 4x4 lease advertised for 215 per month. 31582 Base - $2,000 (Customer Cash) - $1,000 Perfect Match for adjusted price of 28582.

24 Month lease with 999 down and 595 acquisition fee, is this a decent deal? I'm primarily wanting a short term lease, 24 month, little money down, and don't care about keeping it beyond the lease period, but looking for a small payment!

Is this any good? I'm not set on Ford, just a 4 door 4x4 truck. Can X plan be applied to this?

Thanks a bunch!
  • liv4mtnsliv4mtns Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can provide any info on the Ford F-150 Supercrew lease that I have been seeing on television recently. Looking for 36-48 months w/ 12,000-15,00 miles per year. Is this option available? All help will be gretatly appreciated. I will continue to investigate on my own also.

Thanks,

Kevin.
  • colsoncolson Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, I am looking to lease a 2006 F150 4x4 Supercrew (Lariat), basically I'm looking at around 37-40K MSRP. My question is, what would be a good lease payment for this car?

This will be my first car purchase in quite a while, so I've been researching as much as possible, and was wondering what an acceptable lease payment would be?

As well, how exactly does the mileage work for leases? Is there a maximum amount of miles-per-year that you can get added to the lease, and how much does it normally add to your lease payments (I would like to get around 20k a year, if not more).

Thank you all so very much for your responses, and I look forward to reading them! And also thanks for everything that has already been written, it's been a great help!!
  • jetdxjetdx Member Posts: 1
    I have been suddenly thrown into the market for a new vehicle. My plans all along were to get a truck one day but not this soon. I am a big Ford guy from my short history of buying my own vehicles. I am looking at getting an F-150 4dr supercab 2wd short bed XL or XLT (in the Phoenix, AZ area). I have recently heard that leasing a vehicle isn't as bad now as it used to be. My dad taught me that leases were not a good thing to get into and cause a lot of worrying. I would like to know how good leasing is now. I guess what I am looking for is someone to sell me on a lease instead of buying. THX for any input.
  • enivereniver Member Posts: 1
    I am thinkning about leasing an 06 F-150 FX4 Reg Cab flareside with a sticker of 33K and a selling price of 25-26K, what would a lease payment be if I had nothing down with a 24 month term and a 10,500 mile limit?
    Hi longhornlimo. Ford's Red Carpet Option program is what is known in the industry as a balloon note program. Balloon notes are very similar to leases in that the provide consumers with low monthly payments and the option to purchase their vehicles after a specific period of time for a specific price. The main difference between balloon notes and leases is that with leases your bank's name is on the vehicle's title, while with balloon notes yours is. Unfortunately, given the lack of popularity of balloon notes I do not personally keep tabs on the details of manufacturers' programs. I can tell you what this truck's lease program is like if you want though.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi doctor_t. Manufacturers' advertised leases are usually decent deals, however they almost always leave a little meat on the bone so to speak. If one thinks about it, it makes sense. Dealers would get pretty annoyed if the manufacturer of the vehicles that they sell went around advertising the thinnest possible deals. Consumers who are in areas with a decent level of competition are almost always able to negotiate lower selling prices on vehicles than the ones that their advertised lease payments are based upon.

Consumers who qualify for Ford's X-Plan can lease vehicles. If you are able to get the special x-Plan price for this truck, its lease payment will almost certainly be lower than the one that you saw being advertised.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi colson. Your lease payment for this truck will vary depending upon what your selling price is for it. Always remember that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. You may be able to get a good idea of how much you should pay for this truck right now by visiting the following discussion: "Ford F-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Once you have an approximate selling price that you want to pay, let me know. With this information, as well as your truck's full MSRP, how long you want to lease it for, how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it, and what state you are in I can estimate what your lease payment should be.

The highest mileage allowance that Ford Credit publishes residual values for is 19,500 miles per year. Its 19.5K mi/yr residual values are 3% lower than its 15,000 mile per year residuals. If you need to drive more than this, you will have to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis. It is less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to wait until lease-end and have to pay an excess mileage penalty.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi eniver. If you were to lease a 2006 Ford F-150 Regular Cab FX4 4WD with an MSRP of $33,000 and a selling price of around $25,500 through Ford Credit right now for 24 months with 10,500 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $384.

Car_man
    Host
  • larry725larry725 Member Posts: 2
    Car Man,
    Can you help me with the following to estimate a payment assuming a really high credit score?:

I am considering a 36 month lease on an F150 Super Crew XLT 4X4 with the 5.4 liter.
    Sale outline looks like this:
    $36,785 MSRP (inc $875 Dest/Delivery)
    ($6,805) Dealer incentives

Leaves a Vehicle Sale Price Before Rebates of:
    $29,981

Other Plug-Ins discussed:
    Sales Tax here is 8.75%
    $1,045 Title/Reg/Acquisition Fee
    ($2000) Customer Cash Rebate
    ($1000) Cash Down Payment ("Perfect Match"-their half)
    ($1000) Cash Down Payment ("Perfect Match"-my half)

$20,232 quoted Residual Value against miles per year allocation of 10,500 miles

Questions
    -What do you get for a payment using those?
    -Will all those factory incentives apply to a lease?
    -Did I miss any?
    -Should I pay a $250 fee they are proposing to buy the car at the end-of term?
    -Does Ford still waive security deposits if you have leased from them before?
    Thank YOU!
    I'd be happy to help you out, larry725. Ford's lease program for vehicles often varies depending upon what part of the country one is in. As a result, it would be a big help if you would tell me what state you are in. Ford's cash incentives on this truck vary as well. In some areas, Ford is providing $1,500 lease cash on the '06 F-150 SuperCrew, while in others it has $2,000 lease cash. In most of the country there is $500 Ford Credit bonus cash on this truck in addition to the aforementioned lease cash. The lease-end fee is levied by Ford Credit and the dealer that you are working with has no authority to waive it. I'm not sure if Ford Credit waives its security deposit requirement for returning lessees.

Car_man
    Host
  • larry725larry725 Member Posts: 2
    car man: Thanks so much, and sorry to have been away so long. I actually lost my patience with the local dealer returning my e-mails by saying "come on in"....that I bought used. Couldn't be happier. I found an '01 (on the internet) under warranty for 40,000 more miles for about the same money as the 3-year lease would have cost me. Fine by me.
    No problem larry725. Congratulations on your new truck!

Car_man
    Host
  • mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    Car_man, I currently have an F-150 lease and it is up on Jan 2, 2007. The end date for early termination is Dec 31,2006. Do you think that I would be able to get Ford to stretch the date just by 2 days? Also, has anybody ever had luck with this before? I had a truck lined up and excellent payments but as we were signing papers the dealer realized their mistake and now im stuck...again.
  • mr_anton89mr_anton89 Member Posts: 72
    When I was at my Ford dealer I was quoted the followin g(just for general info)
    06 fully loaded Lariat 4x4 with 20s, Heated Seats, Moon, Runningboards, everything less audiophile for $408 a month x 24/12k and also a King ranch 4x4 all options less 20s for $418 x 24/12k. These are with 6.5 sales tax and ~750 due at inception. Just plates, first months and acq fee. Also these are A-plan/employee prices.
    Hi mr_anton89. My first impression is that you probably will not be able to take advantage of Ford's early lease termination program, but it definitely never hurts to ask. Speak with a dealer or two and see if they can do anything for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jbd2jbd2 Member Posts: 8
    hello, i was wondering if you could help me out with a monthly price for this vehicle?
    2007 f150 xlt supercab 4x4 msrp 34020
    negociated price 30364(invoice)
    rcl rebate -2500
    rcl rebate -750
    college program -500
    american quarter horse assoc. -500
    auto show rebate -500
    i am a returning red carpet leasee
    24 month lease no money down with 12000 miles a year
    I would be happy to work up a sample lease payment on this truck for you, jbd2. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Ford F-150 Super Cab XLT 4WD that has an MSRP of $34,020 and an amazing selling price of $25,614 after rebates through Ford Credit right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $273.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jbd2jbd2 Member Posts: 8
    wow thanks for the fast response. could you include the calculations that you came up with. i want to be prepared when i turn my truck in next month. i know they'll try to get me some for some extra fees and stuff. thanks jbd2