Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

97 vw jetta Engine codes 171 and 1476

lchristensen1lchristensen1 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Volkswagen
I have replaced the purge valve, If i have made the proper repairs Will the codes clear right away or do you have to drive it for a certain amount of miles?

Answers

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    edited April 2017
    You're probably looking for the discussion you started earlier. You can find it HERE.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This is an old question but useful so I'll answer it.

Yes, in almost all cases the codes will clear themselves eventually after repair. The best method is to clear them with a scan tool. Some people say to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so, but this has a number of disadvantages---one, it might not work depending on the type of ECU and whether there are capacitors in place that might supply power to the ECU anyway; and two, your car will have to relearn radio pre-sets as well as some of your driving habits.

Some codes would require a more sophisticated scan tool than the $19.95 variety.
This discussion has been closed.