Options

Ugliest Cars of All Time

Comments

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Well, sure - but they kept the streets clean....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    johnbonojohnbono Member Posts: 80
    My vote for ugliest car of all time goes to the toyota echo. I just saw one on the lot today while I was window shopping, and that car is butt ugly!!
  • Options
    denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    You gotta stand in line to call that car ugly -- it's this year's "winner", hands down!
  • Options
    sgaines1sgaines1 Member Posts: 44
    that its closest competition comes from the new Bonneville. The taillights have metastasized, and the front looks like it's melting. Still doesn't have quite the cheap ridiculousness of the Echo. Why anyone would buy one when they could get a perfectly good used car is beyond me.
  • Options
    carnut4carnut4 Member Posts: 574
    that new Echo looks like it was designed by a saboteur after having a bad, psychedelic korean dream! Good god-they took all the worst from Daewoo, Daihatsu, Hyundai and Kia-then they threw in some old Subaru from the seventies...What were they thinking???
  • Options
    carnut4carnut4 Member Posts: 574
    that new Echo looks like it was designed by a saboteur after having a bad, psychedelic korean dream! Good god-they took all the worst from Daewoo, Daihatsu, Hyundai and Kia-then they threw in some old Subaru from the seventies...What were they thinking???
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Look in the dictionary under ugly.. The 2000 Webster edition may have the Echo, but it is a no brainer to alter the 2001 edition with the Aztek.
  • Options
    speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    Actually, I kind of like the Bonneville SE, the base car without the airfoils and wingflaps. Especially in a dark color. At least it stands out--for better or worse.
  • Options
    I will give Pontiac credit for designing something that stands out from the rounded boxes everyone else makes. Unfortunately, they went overboard. I own a '96 Bonny, and think it's very attractive, but the 2000 looks mutated. Incidentally, this is why I can't understand why people think that cars like the Caprice are the ugliest. They look so bland, you'd have to call practically every car on the road 'the ugliest'. I find them boring but inoffensive.
  • Options
    bubukittybubukitty Member Posts: 96
    clinker IMO. Anyone gotten a gander at the new Aztek? It has got to be one of the uglist designs I have ever seen. Hopefully the picture will come out.........

"Pontiac....We build excrement!"
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Looks like a bad attempt at a PT Cruiser.

Usually, what we see as bad design comes from confusion...either a committee designed the car or the company was in a rush to get to a market they didn't understand.

But it is hard to understand how such a botch got past the GM board of directors. Heads will roll.
  • Options
    No, I think it's just GM's attempt at being hip. They're trying to show the under-30 crowd that the old boy can still boogie. Pontiac has some young "talent" in the design studio and they've been given free rein to desecrate sheetmetal. Meanwhile, management is either desperate or clueless, or both. But who knows? Maybe they're on the right track with their target market. When I was that age I was driving a GTO Judge, not exactly a model of quiet understatement.
  • Options
    That is a real dog! I think it beats the Echo and the Portable Toilet Cruiser.
  • Options
    I used to love Pontiacs (albeit ones a long while back!). For some reason, Pontiac continues to come out with one stinker after another in an effort to try to be "hip" and capture the youth market for GM. They are just way off. The old GTO Judge was a really cool car as were all the GTO's in the '60s and early 70's. The older Firebirds too were great cars. Now they put on weird side cladding on their cars, with exagerated hood scoops and add ons that look stupid and tacky. The quality sucks too. My boss rented a Bonneville a couple of years back and while at the hotel, closed the door and the side cladding on the door fell off! He just tossed it in the trunk and went on his way! I was in a Pontiac a few years ago too (Grand Am) and the window winder came off in my hand! Junky cars and ugly too. One sure way to alienate buyers and go out of business. And GM wonders why their market share continues to erode.
  • Options
    I've got Pontiac tattooed on my forehead, entirely because of all the '60s Ponchos I've owned, but I also was beginning to think that Pontiac had strayed into left field.

But now I'm wondering if maybe comparing then and now isn't a little unfair. For years the B-O-P cars have all used the same drivetrains, making it harder for each division to obviously differentiate itself through its engineering. They can fine-tune ride, handling, steering feel etc. but how important are those factors to the mass market? Styling is where they can really make their statement. Most of us probably think that the '60s were a golden era for Pontiac, but most of us probably aren't today's younger buyer.

Styling is a marketing message, like advertising, and with all the messages we're bombarded with today, a marketer has to do something different to cut through all the noise. The Aztek is certainly different, and cartoon-like, but people are talking about it. More importantly, mainstream cars like the Grand Am, Sunfire and Bonneville are also different, and unmistakably Pontiacs. GM in general seems to find it easier to compete on styling and price, not quality and refinement, probably because GM was traditionally the Big 3 styling leader since the days of Harley Earl and Bill Mitchell. Obviously it's hard to change the focus of a huge corporation.
  • Options
    jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    What a GREAT topic!! I am laughing so hard, tears are rolling down my cheeks! Keep it up!
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from. Pontiac is trying to get everyone's attention. Some people may actually like the cars they are producing. GM divisions have shared platforms and drivetrains for a long time, yet in the 60's (primarily) Pontiac was able to create some distinctive and exciting cars that were beautiful and sporty and were built well. Something you could be proud to own. Yet interior materials they use today tend to look shabby in 6 months, and the cars fall apart. They are overstated styling wise as well, and not in a good way IMO.....it's like they are trying too hard. Have you ever seen the Pontiac "Rageous" concept car? I think I posted a picture of it earlier in this topic. Chrysler, for instance, generally has the best looking American cars on the market today, but here again, the workmanship, materials, nvh are not the best. But somehow, the Japanese and european manufacturers are kicking butt with well built, dependable and durable cars. I'm particulary impressed by the quality of the Volkswagen cars these days. GM needs to focus on quality and styling, but good styling....not the in your face style of the current crop of Pontiacs. Yukko.
  • Options
    warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    I've owned a few Pontiacs over the years and with the exception of a '78 Bonneville they were all excellent cars that gave me long and trouble free service. My wife has a '95 Bonny that is as solid as any car I've ever driven, it just keeps going with only basic maintenance. I traded in an '89 Grand Prix a couple of years ago with 140K on the clock, I see the new owner every now and then and she just loves it. I don't think that car will ever quit. I was also one of the prettiest cars Around and drove like a dream.
    As far back as I can remember you could always tell a Pontiac from any other GM car, the always had a special flare. Who can blame them for staying with their tradition.
  • Options
    Yeah, but this Aztec is getting blasted from one end of the media to the other. When this happens to a car, it's doomed I think. Everybody jumps on to beat it to death.

I really can't defend the design. It's pretty bad, a hodge-podge of ideas that to my eye don't work at all.
  • Options
    One's been parked in front of my local Pontiac dealership for a few days now. I'll have to see how bad it really is. It's all-black, which hides a multitude of sins and bad angles.

I suppose you're right, the Aztec may be a big mistake, but the driving force behind the youth/counter culture is design that alienates those over 30. It shows in their clothes and music. If it doesn't look or sound ugly to the old folks, it's not hip. Once I realized this (and all I had to do was go back to my own youthful days of long hair and bellbottoms) the teenyboppers don't offend me anymore--as much.

So maybe the Aztec is right on for its market. Unfortunately for Pontiac, there aren't that many fourteen-year-olds buying cars.
  • Options
    Design based on offending people is, to me, short-lived and dumb...nothing is so transitory as a trend that appeals to the young...
  • Options
    Youth trends make money while they last. Then it's on to the next trend.

Well, the Aztek left the dealer's lot before I could confront it. I have to admit I was disappointed. The city probably made them bury it.
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Has to be the rear end of the 2000 Monte Carlo. The angles and dangles just make me sick.

But then I own a 2000 Impala LS and the rear side of it ain't that great either.

The Impala keeps the wife happy though!
  • Options
    the 57 is proving to be the big money car of that series, the 58 the slowest to appreciate.
  • Options
    jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I finally got a look at the Toyota Echo. Everyone is absolutely right. It's downright butt-ugly!! Also, I thought the early VW bugs qualified as "coffins-on-wheels", but the Echo may be even deadlier. Imagine getting in an accident in a car like that. It would fold like an empty beer can. No thanks! I want to drive something (other than a tank) with lots of metal around me.
  • Options
    I just saw my first Aztec on the road and had a good chance to look it over, and it's not exactly butt ugly. In fact I think I could get used to it. There have been other radical departures in the past that the public got to like.
    Now how about the Ford Focus? There's one that only a die hard Ford lover could love.
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear someone say the Aztek isn't that bad, because that was my reaction. There's a black one that was parked in front of the local dealership, disappeared and then re-appeared a few days ago. I drive past it every day and, while I won't say it's starting to grow on me, at least I'm not as offended as I thought I'd be.

Hey, the Focus is pretty sharp. It's the Toyota Echo that should be banned from the roads. That is one astoundingly ugly car. I thought Japan had outgrown that kind of bizarre styling.
  • Options
    Ditto on the Echo. That thing from Honda, the gas/electric one, whose handle escapes me, even beats that though.
  • Options
    I thought Automobile's comment on the Aztek was pretty funny...someone asked, when seeing it for the very first time "Okay, is it animal, vegetable or mineral?"
  • Options
    Every time I see an Aztek, I expect it to turn into a giant missile firing robot. I'm not sure if the Aztek would be a good guy(Transformer) or bad guy(Decepticon), but don't be surprised if you are tooling down the highway and see your local Aztek turn into Voltron or somesuch!
  • Options
    I think the Aztek could be one of the comic Transformers.......yea, that's the ticket! I notice in the TV ads that they really limit the types of shots they show of it. Mostly front angle shots (not too bad looking from that angle) and rear angle shots. However, the side shots really kill it. Maybe they are trying to appeal to the kids out there, who will bug there parents to buy one...who knows. Guess I will have to see one in the flesh now to see how it really looks up front and personal. I was not a big fan of the PT Cruiser at first either, but it is starting to grow on me the more I see them on the road.
  • Options
    The PT Cruizer I see as being the kind of car Scooby, Shaggy, Fred, Diane, and Velma would drive today. A big "Scream Machine" logo on the back end of it.
  • Options
    Well, there's another Aztek parked in front of the local dealership--in white, one of the more unforgiving colors--and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm still not disgusted by it. In fact, it's starting to look...
  • Options
    Ah, yes. That is the Aztek in Power Ranger Thunderzord White. They also come in Poke-Digimon Red and Voltron Yellow.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    ...because I have a 1957! I know it's been awhile since DeSotos were brought up on this list, but felt I should share my thoughts. 1957 was the last really good year DeSoto had before the recession hit that strained mid-priced marques the most. I believe that was the year DeSoto came closest to surpassing Chrysler division in sales. Put a DeSoto up against a Buick, Mercury, or Olds from the time, and it makes them look clunky and outdated. Especially those Mercs that had the cheesy attempt at a 4-headlight treatment...God,what a mess. I'll admit for 1958, the DeSoto grilles got a little more bulky looking, but look at what new lows Olds and Buick hit (although for some reason, the '58 Merc doesn't look as bad as a '57 to me) By '59, the DeSoto styling was kind of heavy-handed, but not nearly as bad as what the other Mopar divisions were putting out. And GM styling ranged from actually halfway decent (Pontiac/Olds) to totally hideous (Buick). I remember the Mercury by that time was kind of boxy and a little clumsy, but not horrible. I like the '60 DeSoto, too, but it looks too much like a Chrysler. God only knows what they were thinking by 1961, though. Although I'm sure it could have been worse (a'la '61 Plymouth)

btw, I'm posting a pic of my '57 DeSoto, so you guys can judge for yourselves ;-)

-Andre

• Options
    I certainly wouldn't say this was one of the ugliest car ever, but those fins are a bit much. They start way too low. The front's perfectly acceptable. I really think for ugliest you have to look at small new Europeans, or Eastern bloc oldies.
  • Options
    No, it's not ugly at all, just very flamboyant, which keeps it from being "beautiful" in the usual sense of the word. But most 1950s American cars were really over the top styling-wise, and this is, to some extent, what really gives them their charm and value, not their classic beauty or engineering like some of the 50s foreign stuff. At least that Desoto is harmonious within the styling cues...it's flamboyant all around and the car's parts speak to each other in the same voice. So this is okay by me. The truly ugly cars are ones that look like 12 people designed them in separate rooms.
  • Options
    mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    Andre1969: That DeSoto is one of the best looking cars of the fifties. By 1957, Chrysler was ahead of the competition in terms of styling with its 'forward look'. Your DeSoto proves it. If you parked that DeSoto next to 1957 Chevy (which are also great cars), you will see that the DeSoto is much sleeker.

As far as the ugliest cars of all time:
    What about the new 2000 Toyotas? Specifically the Echo and Celica (not that any Celica was ever good looking).
    The front end of a 2000 Honda Prelude is also pretty ugly.
  • Options
    lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    I always thought that the Mustang II that were made during the 70's were the best example of what happens when different teams do the front and back of a car. Both ends were OK in themselves but they were obviously done in different visual scales. I'm sure that the teams compared pictures but it wasn't until too late that somebody checked to see how the 2 halves looked with each other.

The sedans were the worst but the fastbacks were out of scale too.
    http://a351must2.stangnet.com/cgi-bin/i/74Coupe/mustangfrontright.jpg

http://a351must2.stangnet.com/cgi-bin/i/77Mach1/machdriverfront.jpg

(The car itself was pretty sad. As I recall some magazines of the day said that the Pinto was a better car. How's that for an insult?)
  • Options
    I could hardly think of a worse insult...okay, maybe that "a Vega is a better car".
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I'm pretty sure the Mustang II WAS A PINTO with different sheet metal!!!! At least in the Mustang you could get a SCREAMING 140 horsepower 302!!!!!
  • Options
    How sad that Ford dared to bring out the Mustang II and even call it a Mustang when you compare the II to the Mustangs of the 60's through '73. Just one of the stupid corporate automotive boodogles of all time other than the Edsel. The Mustang II was a pretty sad statement, somewhat driven I think by the gasoline crisis of the 70's.
  • Options
    I remember that most people really hated that car when it came out. The disgust was almost something you could feel.
  • Options
    For some reason, these cars have always bothered me. Maybe because when I was a kid I remember the 1975 LeMans my mother had bought, and it was a much better looking car. Plus (although I know I'm going to be in the minority here) I think the 1976-1977 LeMans is almost a work of art.

The main thing that bothers me about it is that nose. For the most part, the car's not bad...integrated plastic covered bumpers, fairly smooth lines, but what were they thinking with that front end?? It looks like they took a 1978 Cutlass, tried to stick a Pontiac beak in the center of the grille, and make it as ugly as possible. Maybe they did this so more people would buy Grand Prix's. For some reason, they came to their senses for 1981 and stuck on a front-end that looked similar to the 1976-1978 era Trans-Am, but, in typical GM fashion, once they finally made it look right, they cancelled it.
    -Andre
  • Options
    A fellow I went to college with bought a Mustang II after owning a '61 T-Bird with a balanced and bluebrinted 390 that was a real screamer. Modified T-Birds are not the norm, but his car was pretty cool. I do not know what he was thinking about in getting the II, but he was stoned half the time, so that may account for it. I agree that the disgust was something that could be felt......I sure did!
  • Options
    smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Andre,

Love that Desoto. Do you belong to the National Desoto Club. They came to Charleston (SC) last summer and it was row after row of good looking Desotos. The 57s are my favorite, but of reportedly poor quality control when new.
  • Options
    57-58 was a problem year for Chrysler quality control, yes, but mostly rust issues as I recall.
  • Options
    Hi smithed,

I used to belong to the National DeSoto Club years ago, but let my membership lapse. I've been thinking about rejoining, just been too busy I guess. The 1957 was my favorite year for DeSotos, too, except for the Firesweep, which was basically a DeSoto body on a Dodge wheelbase, with a DeSoto grille stuck on a Dodge front-end clip. I think it was an early attempt at downsizing, but the grille stuck out so far that the thing ended up being only about 2 inches shorter than the "real" DeSotos

Chrysler did have quality problems with the 1957-59 models, mainly rust. A lot of this was due to their inexperience with building their own bodies, which had been supplied by Briggs through 1954. I still wonder, then, how the 1955-56 Mopars came out so rock-solid, since those would have been the first actually built by Chrysler. Mine was mostly garage kept, but in the 60's was used as the bad weather car. (i.e., it's snowing out, honey, let's not take the good car, let's take the DeSoto) It has a little rust around the headlights, lower rear quarters, and a hole in the trunk. I guess that's not bad, though, for a 43 year old car that's pretty mouch been untouched.

Hey, as far as ugly cars, how about a 1957 Ford? Those bug-eyed headlights always bothered me, although the rest of the car isn't bad, I guess, just overly creased. As I recall, weren't those serious rusters, too? Maybe that's why the 1957 Chevy is so popular, because all the Fords and Plymouths rusted away ;-)
  • Options
    I remember the Chrysler cars rusting very badly at the top of the headlights...a nasty place to try and repair something.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Haven't been here in a dogs age. Andre, love the DeSoto! I think it was 59 when DeSoto really lost it - but you are right, 59 Plymouths are way over the top as well. Hey, if you are ever in NJ, drive that sucker over here!

Onto the topic at hand. I'm sorry to not be in a forgiving mood towards the Aztek. Looks like a PT Cruiser that went to the Bizzaro world... Out here I've yet to see one that wasn't Pokemon red.

Echo - very ugly. New Celica - Extreeeeeemly ugly. I do not understand the reviewers that think it looks sharp. Yeah, sharp as in you could cut yourself on it! Blech!

Maybe it's time to bring back tail fins if tehy want something different...... bring on taht DeSoto!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
This discussion has been closed.