Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 Regal Dual Climate Control Module with Resistor Location

mikejones54mikejones54 Member Posts: 5
edited July 2017 in Buick
Have a 2002 Regal LS with dual climate control. Original owner. AC just started acting up for the first time. All the controls on the panel work and display as normal. Compressor kicks in but blower started erratic behavior the last month by not turning on, in auto or manual. One day fine, the next day nothing. Today it was working, nice and cold, then it made two sound changes and stopped running. Since the panel works fine, I'm thinking blower module with resistor. Gained access to blower but can't figure out where the module is. Anyone have a nice pic or exact location with number/color of wires to search for.

Best Answer

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This VIDEO might be of some help.

I believe your resistor would be next to the blower motor under the dash.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited July 2017

mikejones54 → imidazol97
    You were spot on.One tap to the bottom of the motor and it worked fine. With all the digital these days, you just tend to suspect something electronic as the culprit. Any chance of just replacing the brushes or just get a new one from RA?

Locate the blower itself. When you get in the car, turn the key to RUN and if the blower motor doesn't operate, tap the blower motor itself with the tip of your shoe or your hand. If the vibration makes the blower start working, that means it's the contacts, commutator and brushes, inside the blower motor. You may have to move to the passenger seat to get good contact

Thanks for your note on my wall that this test worked for you. I was hoping it was that easy to verify because I thought your replacement blower motor and the ones in my comparable year leSabre were the same group. Maybe they have different flanges so they have different model numbers.

I took my motor apart but could NOT figure out how to hold the brushes in place and put it back together getting the end of the rotor back into the narrower part of the housing. The commutator was very rough as well. I didn't have any way to smooth it properly.

I bought an Autozone replacement blower because they were the only box store in the area that stocked them The other stores could get them in 1 or 2 days. I picked up one at an Autozone on the other side of the metro on the way to cruise-in that afternoon.

The Autozone, at that time years back, was more plastic and made a little more noise than the original. What I do now is order parts on Amazon or Ebay where I can get the AC Delco version of the replacement parts. Check prices on rockauto for the AC delco piece and consider the shipping charge--you may have to go through most of the purchase forms to get the shipping added on. There are discount codes available on the internet that go into the how did you hear about us box or something like that.

Or look at Amazon/Ebay after you verify the right AC Delco model number from the rockauto.com site. I would not consider getting a pick n pull part. The trouble of squeezing blower out and getting new one back in wiggling it in and keeping the rubber air tube in place and getting the 3 screws in place was enough I just wanted to do it once. I didn't want to replace a used part that went out in 6 months or a year.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742

I took my motor apart but could NOT figure out how to hold the brushes in place and put it back together getting the end of the rotor back into the narrower part of the housing. The commutator was very rough as well. I didn't have any way to smooth it properly.

On the end housing below the brushes there would have been a plastic bushing, or thrust washer. To replace the brushes and re-assemble you have to remove it from the end case put it in between the brushes holding them recessed against the springs. Then when you install the armature, it pushes that thrust washer back into place as the brushes fall in against the commutator.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132

On the end housing below the brushes there would have been a plastic bushing, or thrust washer. To replace the brushes and re-assemble you have to remove it from the end case put it in between the brushes holding them recessed against the springs. Then when you install the armature, it pushes that thrust washer back into place as the brushes fall in against the commutator.

I'm going to look at the old blower. I still have it. The mystery of how to reinstall is now solved!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,