Options

Noise from front tires (wobbling?)

jewi1981jewi1981 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in Toyota
Hello All,

I am the first owner of a 2003 Toyota Echo that has ~158k miles so far. A few weeks ago I noticed a noise coming from both front tires (not at the same time) when I am driving through bumps/potholes. I am not sure if I am right or wrong, but many times when I am driving through a bump (e.g in the parking area where I live), I slow down/stop in front of a bump, and drive through only with one of the front tires. This is when I hear most the noise. Today I drove through with both tires, and there was no noise. What can be the problem? Yes, I will take my car to a car mechanic, I just want to search my options and mainly the cost associated with them and not to be surprised by the estimation. Thank you very much for your input.

JW

Comments

• Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    I suspect CV joints.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    CV joints are one possibility---a loose sway bar or other front suspension wear is also possible of course.
  • Options
    jewi1981jewi1981 Member Posts: 2
    OK, took my car to the service, the said inner front rods (2), and the repair is almost $500. A few hours later they called me and said that also the steering rack (boot?) needs to be changed. Estimation is ~$1500. It was unclear whether the tire rods were included in the price (I think not). They said steering rack is the most important, and they will use a used one, so I will pay ~$1050. And the two tire rods will be fixed later. I was googling for the replacement cost, and not sure if these are realistic. Any idea? Thanks a lot.