Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-series vs Lexus IS

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Spiritinthesky, I moved your post to a more appropriate discussion: spiritinthesky, "Entry-Level Luxury Performance Sedans" #5218, 26 Feb 2006 12:48 pm - check in over there.
  • digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    so which lexus vehicle is a rebadged highlander? every wanna be 'enthusiast' endlessly rants about having a manual and then when its offered it doesnt sell enough to justify the expense of offering it. how many times does this scenario have to happen before the thick headed understand that is a small minority who want manual transmissions in these cars? probably the bmw has the highest percentage of manual buyers in the category but as has been said previously 70% of 3 series buyers buy automatics. of course this makes these people less than 'enthusiasts'. its the same stupid argument that ALWAYS states that unless you do something X way you cant be one of the 'chosen'. pathetic.
  • spiritintheskyspiritinthesky Member Posts: 207
    That's fine. Perhaps I should have mentioned that the IS350 and 330i were the two primary cars that my god-daughter was most interested in to begin with. It wasn't until she went out test driving those and others in the segment that the IS350 fell out of contention.
    Let's stick to comparing the 3-Series and IS series here, please.
    Your post was a great one and it deserved to be where we could pursue all of your comments! :)
  • grylexis300grylexis300 Member Posts: 53
    "IS300 outslalomed and outbraked the vaunted 330i"

yeah and so what??????

"do you drive around cones? Or do you step on the gas going around a curve. In real life slalom has little to do with on-road performance, I thought you would now that. BMW doesn't necessarily "win" in every category, but when it comes to piloting a car down the car road it can't be beat."

so if i piloted a IS350 DOWN A STRAIGHT ROAD and you were chasing me with the vaunted 330i would you catch me??? i doubt it. you said down the car road the bmw's can't be beat.

let's imagine i raced you on the INDY500 track then. man that would be something. there slalom numbers don't mean a thing. i'd pilot my IS350 so good i wouldn't be surprised if i lapped you. =)

but i am merely a simple mind here amongst experts. maybe you can explain to me how the IS350 is so maligned because of its VDIM and its slalom and skidpad numbers from the recent car and driver comparo and then i have you telling me that who cares if the IS300 beat the 330i back in 2001 in these very same categories.

oh i get it you guys. if the lexus beats the bmw in any category on the tracks it has nothing to do with on-road performance. if the 06 bmw beats the new IS in the slalom and skidpad it must be the ultimate driving machine.
    seen anybody driving their bmw 3 series any differently then some old lady in her lexus ES300 or RX330. geeezz. maybe because 90% of people who buy the 3 series buy it because it is the only bmw they can afford??? i doubt they go into the showroom thinking i need a car i can dodge a dead deer with. hmmm maybe that is why so many 3 series are automatics huh??? how many times do we have to bring that up???

like i told you all before. i have driven a 325i and folks it is nothing to get all excited about. i have no idea where all this bmw hoopla comes from. the styling on the 3 series seems so yesterday compared to the new IS. the lines folks. look at the lines on these two cars. wait, the 06 looks almost like the old version. let's just look at the new IS that is the only thing worth looking at right now. if i wanted a tweaked version of the 05 3 series i'd look at this 3 series more.
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    i doubt they go into the showroom thinking i need a car i can dodge a dead deer with.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHH Funniest thing I've heard in a while!
    drive like a bmw. how depressing it must be to own any lexus. most bimmer lovers would have you believe any IS drives like a hyundai or yugo.

i think the true enthusiasts here on edmunds.com have to realize that sure it is not about straight line speed but man it has got to hurt the ego that a cheaper, more luxurious, better interior for sure, better air conditioner and stereo system equipped IS can just dust the daylights out of any 330i.

there are folks who will rationalize how the 3 series is superior until the end of time but the facts will remain the same. the lexus will definitely keep you out of the repair shop much less than a bmw 3, it will blow you away with the best air conditioner you will ever find in any car, it will blow you away with its kick a$& stereo system on your drive to work.

like i told dave330i. man he's gotta be feeling sick that his older 330i is the same price as the IS350. trade your bimmers in folks the real bargain and real CAR is not from germany.
    Let's not make things personal. People are entitled to their different priorities, needs and opinions and just because one person's thoughts do not jibe with yours does not mean that the other person is "rationalizing" or in any way wrong. The person is just different from you, that's all.

Please just stick to the cars and not what you think of other people, thanks.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Tested a 325i over the weekend - planned on buying one based on a prior test drive - but 2 things changed my mind.

1. The gas pedal feel was strange. The sales guy said it was the drive by wire and that I would get USE to it in a few weeks - but I have driven several other cars with this system and they did not feel like this. If I pushed the pedal about an inch down it did nothing for about 1/4 of a second - doesn't sound like a long time - but very strange delay. As soon as the car started moving the tranny (automatic) would shift into second. It did not matter how hard I stepped on the gas - seems like it should hold 1st gear MUCH longer. Even when using the manual shift mode the car still had a delay between gas pedal being pushed down and car moving - this is just plain UNACCEPTABLE.

2. I drove the Lexus IS -
    You mean, the 3 isn't the "Ultimate Driving Machine"?

Since when is the car with fault?

Many people will have others believe that the 3 series is the Alpha and Omega of car design.

Good to hear somebody with an unbiased opinion. I've also driven the 325i e90 and found the transmission and engine setup very sluggish. In no way did I think it compared to the responsiveness of the IS 250. Although the 325i stuck well to the road, I perceived the bodyroll to be somewhat unsettling.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Although the 325i stuck well to the road, I perceived the bodyroll to be somewhat unsettling.

Eh? I've never heard of anyone complain about BMW body roll... They have less than any make out there.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    "Everyone is up in a rioting fashion when the 3 is matched with an AT, when the MT is the sportier choice, but nobody says a thing when they mention an option to shutoff VDIM for a more sport oriented comparison and don't."

Did you even read your own post?

From earlier on your post:

"You can scramble the computer and cancel VDIM completely via a complicated pedal dance that must be performed every time you start the car, but Lexus doesn’t want you to know about that. In fact, Lexus reps swear to us there is no way to circumvent the system. So we left VDIM on for the slalom."

BMW has a button you can push to turn traction control off. Lexus has some secret pedal dance code (reminds me of those old Nintendo cheat codes). Makes me wonder how Edmunds even found out about it.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    "there are folks who will rationalize how the 3 series is superior until the end of time but the facts will remain the same. the lexus will definitely keep you out of the repair shop much less than a bmw 3, it will blow you away with the best air conditioner you will ever find in any car, it will blow you away with its kick a$& stereo system on your drive to work."

Just what I always wanted in my sport sedan. A kicka$$ stereo & A/C. They've always been #1 & 2 on my list. I guess this explains why the Lexus crowd can't understand BMW folks.

FYI, I don't drive a 330i anymore. Pat deleted my post regarding that.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    "but i am merely a simple mind here amongst experts"

truer words have not been said... ;-)
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'm not going to raise the "who's a driving enthusiast" debate again, but the Lexus advocates certainly talk the talk. And the unrestrained drooling over the performance attributes of a slushbox equiped IS350 is a conundrum.

I believe there is something more than meets the eye in this design oversight by Lexus. I think it is indicative of what can be expected from a company that builds virtually all of it's other cars with Buick like driving dynamics and then decides to make one model the "BMW fighter". It was such a departure from their mainstream that they were bound to forget or screw up something. In the first go around (IS300), it was a design that looked like it was right out of "Boy Racer Illustrated". Unfortunately, this go around, it one of the basic prerequisites in my book.

Yesterday I broke down and let my 7 year old daughter sit in the front passenger seat of our 911 so she could shift from 1st to 2nd and back on our way to her nearby basketball game. Left handed, no less. She hadn't done that since I traded our S2000 two years ago. She can't understand why anyone would get an automatic and give up the "fun" of shifting gears. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I guess.

Just curious, if any of you Lexus guys are golfers, which tees do you play from? White, Blue or Black? (please don't say red or gold) ;)
    Sir, the quote you "quoted" - for lack of a better word - is from a comparison test, not my own words.

Also, Lexus techs need to know how to shut off the VDIM to diagnose the vehicle, therefore, it is "common" knowledge. And no, Edmunds did not find out about it first.

Other than you misunderstanding about what was written, what else do you have to say besides your lack of faith in my intelligence?

I hope pat is around to delete some of the malignant posts circulating around now.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Really? Even less than the Volvo S60 R with suspension set to its sportiest mode?

I doubt your claim; it was too broad. Maybe it has very little relative to most cars, but such an acute statement is hard to believe.
    She can't understand why anyone would get an automatic and give up the "fun" of shifting gears. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I guess.

I guess your 7 year old doesn't have to drive in rush hour daily. :-)
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    When Lexus first came to market (LS400) the MB folks thought that the Lexus would never amount to much and would never be able to compete. How did that turn out?

When Toyota first came out with the T-100 pick up truck all of the Ford, Chevy & Dodge truck guys made fun of it - it was a joke - small size - weak V6 engine. The new full size Tundra is about to take the "Big 3" (now that is a joke) on in full size trucks. How will this end up?

Toyota (through their Lexus brand) has now set its sights on BMW - the IS 300 fell short - the IS 250/350 are closer (better in some ways - still short in others)

BMW can try and run as fast as they can to keep ahead of Toyota - but all that will get them is tired. In the long run Toyota will crush them.
    When your medication dissipates and you come back to earth, you may want to reevaluate your last comment... "BMW can try and run as fast as they can to keep ahead of Toyota - but all that will get them is tired. In the long run Toyota will crush them."

An extraordinary flame - bravo! Was that written with a straight face?
    Well, while it was a bit over-the-top, I DO think Toyota is moving closer to becoming the world-leader in the auto market.
    you mean they will build more cars than BMW, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborgini, Rolls Royce and Bentley combined? Wonderful transportation appliances alone do not drive the market. Not to downplay the quality of their vehicles, but others are not "chopped liver" ;-)
  • altima35sealtima35se Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks. I'm a newcomer to the Edmunds forums. However, I've been following the Lexus IS thread and the BMW 3 series vs. Lexus IS threads since they started, and I've read the reviews. I have no dog in this race since I recently bought an Altima. Nevertheless, I have found your discussions energetic and fun, more so than most other threads I've seen. So if you don't mind, at the risk of being hammered, I'm going to offer a few opinions. Thanks for listening.

First of all, I believe there is a bias, albeit well-deserved, in favor of the 3-series. The way Car and Driver dismissed the problems they encountered in such a cavalier fashion ("we'll use other braking results", or something to that effect) as well as many other problems points to this, IMO. I believe that BMW got a free pass. Also, the other review in which the editors had the option to test the IS350 with VDIM disabled, and knew how to do it, yet chose not to is very suspicious. I have to believe, considering the debates that have raged over this seeming oversight by Lexus, that they must have given the car a spin with VDIM disabled. Certainly they must have been curious enough to do that. If is extremely poor and biased reporting that they would have had the opportunity to test without VDIM in comparison to BMW, and chose not to, or at least not report it. This is, IMO, a far more egregious oversight than reviewers who choose to use an automatic on the BMW.

Secondly, clearly Lexus goofed by not offering a stick in the IS350, a VDIM disable-switch, and to underpower the IS250. I actually consider the latter the worse move of all. Lexus stated that they expected the IS250 to account for the huge majority of their sales. Then how do they choose to offer LESS horse-power against the BMW they are targeting, with the automobile that they expect to be the big seller. Who made THAT decision? Certainly, they could have equipped the IS250 with 225-235 HP, bettering the 325i, and leaving plently of room and reason to consider the IS350 for those who could afford it. This is, IMO, an absolutely critical marketing mistake. When Lexus originally came out with the LS400 (around 1989, I think) at $35,000, what made everyone take notice was how they blew away the BMW and Mercedes sedans that were selling for 15-20K more with an ultra-refined, more powerful engine. It was that single critical marketing decision that launched them. Why didn't they do the same with the IS250, maybe even launch it with 250-260 HP. Just blow away the 3-series. Instead, they have lost vital momentum on their maiden voyage. They should have taken the long term view, but instead tried to finesse the market so they could make some big dollars in the first year. Wrong call, IMO. So you don't make the big dollars the first year. But you set yourself up for the next decade. Hopefully I'm clear on this. Thanks again for listening and for your spirited debates!!
  • lexus_jnlexus_jn Member Posts: 102
    I tested 325i and IS250 and fell in love with both of them. It was a tough decision but I finally opened up my wallet to get the Lexus IS250. I picked Lexus over BMW because of the following factors:

1. I have 3 friends each owning a BMW. All of them always complained about the bad experiences they have had with their cars. One already traded his car for Rx330 after his girl friend kept whining about how boring the BMW's interior & stereo sound system were as well as tons of electrical/power issues they had experienced. One still owns the car but just purchased another $1600 for 2 additional years on warranty to avoid paying big bucks on maintenance. The last guy is going sell his car and get another one (not sure which brand/model) because he said he's tired of fighting with BMW service people over the problems that they (BMW service ppl) do believe those should not be covered during the 4-year full of maintenance. I notice one thing...all of my friends never said a bad thing about the performance of BMW.

2.I've known at least 5 guys/ladies who own Lexus over the years. None of them says a bad word about Lexus..They are all excited about their cars.

3. Even I heard enuf of bad experiences from BMW owners or great things from Lexus's ones, I was not so sure if I fell for Lexus completely. Part of the reason was because I had been obsessed with BMW badge and always believe it's cool thing to own an BMW.

4. One last factor that helps me to make my final decision is the rating IS recieves from both CReport & JD Power Associates... It's the only model that got 5-star overall rating. 3-series only receives 4 star... Acura TL: 3, Infiniti G35: 3.

I am happy with my purchase and love the IS every minute driving it. I also like BMW but I just wish they (BMW) improve the car quality and design in the future....oh, btw please change the taillights... Seems to me that not many people really like them.
  • binnybinny Member Posts: 1
    Are you the Mike Giller who went to OCA in Toronto?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "I guess your 7 year old doesn't have to drive in rush hour daily."

No, she doesn't. But up until a year ago her bruising 5'1", 105 lb, Mom drove a 5-speed Trooper through the streets of DC. And would have opted for a 6-speed manual in our new MDX if it had been offered. So at least my daughters are not genetically inclined to use that wimpy excuse. ;)

Seriously, if you are going to handicap a so called sports sedan of its full capacity for "fun" by equiping it with a slushbox because of a left foot that goes limp during rush hour, why even bother?? Get a hybrid and let it run on its battery for most of the commute and use your tax credits as a down payment on a Honda S2000 or other real sports car for weekend use. But that's a subject for a different forum.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    . If all buyers of automatics are not "driving enthusiasts," and 70% BMW's are purchased with automatics, doesn't that make most BMW buyers disqualified from being driving enthusiasts? Please answer the simple logic question or retract or your earlier assertion, instead of launching into another round of pointless personal attacks.

I honestly dont see any logic in your question?

Whoever said all BMW drivers are driving enthusiasts? Whoever said that the 30 % who drive manual BMWs are by default driving enthusiasts ?

I love manual cars and despise all electronic nannies. I had preiously stated that buying a a sport sedan with a slushbox is a waste of money. Does that make me a driving enthusiast? I dont know ? Nor do I really care.

Your attempt to categorize each individual's preferences and invent a pigeonhole to label them is in itself quite illogical.
    You can scramble the computer and cancel VDIM completely via a complicated pedal dance that must be performed every time you start the car

Are you a dancer?

To my wife's dismay I am no dancer and I hate all complicating dances. If you prefer fancy foot-work versus using a button to turn off VDIM, then I guess you are different from myself and the reviewers who are in no mood to do compex Tango steps.
    so which lexus vehicle is a rebadged highlander?

FYM it is called a Lexus RX.

probably the bmw has the highest percentage of manual buyers in the category but as has been said previously 70% of 3 series buyers buy automatics. of course this makes these people less than 'enthusiasts'. its the same stupid argument that ALWAYS states that unless you do something X way you cant be one of the 'chosen'. pathetic

Hmmm, "pathetic" is one very interesting pigeonhole. What is the criteria for membership other than liking three pedals?
    seen anybody driving their bmw 3 series any differently then some old lady in her lexus ES300 or RX330. geeezz. maybe because 90% of people who buy the 3 series buy it because it is the only bmw they can afford???

Nor do I see see any difference between a RX driver and a old centarian driving a AMC Eagle. The AMC Eagle was the first pioneer crossover that Toyota smartly imitated with the Lexus RX.
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Not to be facecious but four out of the six marques on that list are "chopped liver": Ferrari is owned by Fiat, Lambo by VW, Rolls by BMW and Bentley by VW. Porsche is in the process of a reverse-buyout of VW, BMW is really the only one not associated with any volume producer, for now. That independence is very much dependent on its ability to grow volume going forward.
    Your attempt to categorize each individual's preferences and invent a pigeonhole to label them is in itself quite illogical.

Very strange accusation indeed. I was not the one who came up with the term "real enthusiasts" as if all drivers of automatics are not "real enthusiasts"

Doubly strange, considering that in the very same post you repeated your categorical statement that "buying a sedan with a slushbox is a waste of money." Talk about categorizing, pigeonholing or labelling.
    her bruising 5'1", 105 lb, Mom drove a 5-speed Trooper through the streets of DC. And would have opted for a 6-speed manual in our new MDX if it had been offered.

Need I say more? Can you say "over-compensating"? ;-) What bloody reason is there to have a clunky offroad vehicle like the Trooper in the streets of DC as a daily driver? or for that matter matching a manual to either a Trooper or MDX? Goes to show that manual tranny is more about the driver's self-image than about vehicle characteristics.
    Very strange accusation indeed. I was not the one who came up with the term "real enthusiasts" as if all drivers of automatics are not "real enthusiasts"

1) :confuse: Boy, dont you have a short memory! I simply answered the following question that you had posted:

If all buyers of automatics are not "driving enthusiasts," and 70% BMW's are purchased with automatics, doesn't that make most BMW buyers disqualified from being driving enthusiasts? Please answer the simple logic question or retract or your earlier assertion, instead of launching into another round of pointless personal attacks.
    Factual correction: this is also the same company that made GS, Supra, Celica, MR2 . . . seriously, when is BMW ever going to sell a mid-engined "real sports car" ;-)

I doubt anyone can say that MB and Nissan are unfamiliar with building sporty cars, nor that M3's are unsporty cars, yet various AMG models, G35 and E46 M3's were all introduced with automatics first, followed by manual when the market demand is there. It's a simple solution to the market reality that most people buy automatics, and it cost a lot of money to get EPA to certify yet another engine-tranny combo. It would not surprise me to see a manual IS350 in the second or third model year, just like the original IS300. What's BMW fans going to nit about then? ;-)
    Doubly strange, considering that in the very same post you repeated your categorical statement that "buying a sedan with a slushbox is a waste of money." Talk about categorizing, pigeonholing or labelling.

In that case you have difficulty in distinguishing "personal preferences" from"categorizing others".

Yes I love sticks and hate electronic nannys. That does not mean that I categorize everybody who thinks differently as non-driving enthusiasts as you yourself were trying to imply.
    In that case you have difficulty in distinguishing "personal preferences" from"categorizing others".

Interesting new stand, considering in post #687, you wrote:

"So a IS350 is a serious VDIM slushbox sport sedan?
    Maybe if you are an Avalon driver who considers his car a performance car just because of its 0-60 stats. It is this type of driver that the IS is made for."

Is that "categorizing others" or a statement that you are an Avalon driver as in "personal preferences"?
    My statement from a prior post: Maybe if you are an Avalon driver who considers his car a performance car just because of its 0-60 stats. It is this type of driver that the IS is made for."

Did you see the word "maybe" in my statement. That is certainly not a categorization. And yes there is a fellow in this forum who seriously considered a Avalon over a IS.

Mike Giller can you recall those days?
    In case you did not realize, I did not pigeon-hole drivers of automatics as non-enthusiasts. You were the one doing that by claiming that by offering automatics only IS350 disqualifies itself as a choice for "real enthusiats."
    You were the one doing that by claiming that by offering automatics only IS350 disqualifies itself as a choice for "real enthusiats."

When did I say that?

My key problem with the IS350 has nothing to do with the type of drivers it attracts. My key problem is with the car itself. The fact that the car has no tranny choices and no button to turn of VDIM is what turns me and many other drivers off( who are not necessarily driving enthusiasts).
    What is that "maybe" supposed to mean? That all of which follows from you is a farce? Talk about an intellectually dishonest denial.

Some people may indeed cross shop between Avalon and IS, for very different reasons; e.g. there is now $35k to spend, shall we update the family sedan or the sporty car first? My two-BMW owning neighbor also has a Kia Sportage in their garage for snow days; I'm sure the vehicles take their turns getting updated/replaced. Does that make BMW cars for Kia drivers? Of course not. Saying that IS is for Avalon drivers is overgeneralizing in the extreme.
    In case you did not realize, I did not pigeon-hole drivers of automatics as non-enthusiasts. You were the one doing that by claiming that by offering automatics only IS350 disqualifies itself as a choice for "real enthusiats."

LOL, cant you figure out by now that I was anwering your question?

Whether you believe in what you are asking is not the issue here. I just answered your question from a prior post.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Need I say more? Can you say "over-compensating"? What bloody reason is there to have a clunky offroad vehicle like the Trooper in the streets of DC as a daily driver? or for that matter matching a manual to either a Trooper or MDX? Goes to show that manual tranny is more about the driver's self-image than about vehicle characteristics.

Geez, now you're just getting ridiculous....

Yeah, I'm sure that everyone who drives a manual transmission has a serious ego issue.... :confuse:
    What is that "maybe" supposed to mean? That all of which follows from you is a farce? Talk about an intellectually dishonest denial.

Goes to show that manual tranny is more about the driver's self-image than about vehicle characteristics.

Oh there you go again with your senseless categorizations!

:confuse: If you define a victorious debate by saying the last word(whether it makes sense or not), then I will grant you that last word.

I am out of here!
    When did I say that?

You repeated that stance only a couple posts back. What does it exactly mean by stating that buying a sporty sedan with a slushbox is a waste of money?

My key problem with the IS350 has nothing to do with the type of drivers it attracts. My key problem is with the car itself. The fact that the car has o tranny choices and no button to turn of VDIM is what turns me and many other drivers who are not necessarily driving enthusiasts

So, if 2007 IS350 is introduced with manual, VDIM-off button, will you then praise it or look for another excuse to put it down?

I have no problem with your not liking IS350, just don't go around holding yourself up as some kind of prototypical driving enthusiasts and all those disagreeing with you are non-enthusiats and "Avalon drivers."
    Methinks you have run out of argument to defend an indefensible position for some time.
    Are you a dancer?

To my wife's dismay I am no dancer and I hate all complicating dances. If you prefer fancy foot-work versus using a button to turn off VDIM, then I guess you are different from myself and the reviewers who are in no mood to do compex Tango steps.

If you can not even handle two taps on the foot brake while holding down the brake pedal with the other foot, while the car is parked, how exactly do you execute heel-toe in a fast corner like a master driver with a manual anyway? Isn't the fancy foot work with three pedals the primary reason for bringing back the stick-manual M3?
    Geez, now you're just getting ridiculous....

Yeah, I'm sure that everyone who drives a manual transmission has a serious ego issue....

Never said that. I had a manual once, for cost reasons ;-)

Now, can you give me a good reason why anyone would want a manual with big hulking full-size SUV's like the Trooper and MDX? Certainly not performance, I hope ;-)
This discussion has been closed.