Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35 vs BMW 330xi

Comments

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    I look forward to your compare/contrast with your BMW 5 (you drive a 545?). I wouldn't expect the handling of the TL to be on par with the 5, but your perceptions should be interesting.

I love the style of the TL. Also, the stylish, well laid out interior. I also like the new 3, except for the Infiniti G20-ish tail lights. The toned down "Bangle-butt" (which to me just destroys the appearance of the 645ci coupe)helps a lot... ;) I find the current BMW interiors to be a bit austere. Functional, no doubt. But a bit spartan.

Have fun test driving.

BTW, my father, formerly of Boca Raton, had a white (what else?) '05 TL down there. Drove it from FLA to LA. He loved the drive!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    The TL has so much more room in the driver's seat than the 3 series. I'm 6'1" 215 lbs and I felt a bit cramped in the 3. I test drove the TL the same day and felt liberated by the extra room..... as well as the $10K savings.

My car is anthracite. I think the darker colors on the TL look better, but we're talking about degrees of great here. And I got the automatic. Torque steer less of an issue and no stop and crawl traffic stress intensified by a manual tranny.
  • Options
    realty_prorealty_pro Member Posts: 85
    Well, that's in the eye of the beholder, but the RL comes in the color you mentioned. There's only car on the road that strikes me as absolutely gorgeous and that is the Infiniti M. But that is my opinion.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Yes. I have a 2005 545 down here in Tampa, on a 3 year lease with only 7 months down-so even if I like the TL on the test drive, it will just have to wait.
    That's the downside with leasing.

With the 545, if I use 30% of the car's capability, it's a miracle. Cars like that are totally wasted in the speeding-ticket-conscious USA.

I hated the new 330i's interior-so cold and plain-but once you drive it with the great cornering and steering, you sort of make compromises.
    The 545's interior is better than the 330i's, which really isn't saying much and the optional ( read-expensive) "comfort seats" are well, comfortable!

The best BMW interior IMO is the X5's

I'm sure I will absolutely be ecstatic upon gazing at the TL's interior after 12 years with BMW.

I wouldn't expect the TL to handle like a BMW which is okay since as I alluded to above,
    one can't approach the car's potential anyway.
  • Options
    I am 6'2" so legroom is always a problem for me.
    I agree. The 3 series is a bit cramped for guys like us.
    The 5 series is a little better but not ideal.

I will check out the TL even though my hands are tied up right now with my 5 lease.
    I would also try the automatic because of the torque steering issue.
  • Options
    I see more Infiniti M's down here in Tampa than TL's.
    It is a good looking vehicle.

When I go to check out the TL, I will take a good look at the RL's rear just to confirm which Acura I actually saw out there.
  • Options
    "There's only car on the road that strikes me as absolutely gorgeous and that is the Infiniti M."

Moreso than the Aston Martin DB9 or V8 Vantage??? Or did you mean four door sedans? How 'bout the Maserati Quattroporte?

In the realm of "affordable" sedans, my style (and wallet) vote goes to the Acura TL (yeah, I know. Big surprise). The M, while a very cool car, stylewise doesn't do much for me.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I see more Infiniti M's down here in Tampa than TL's.

Funny - I'm in Tampa and I see many more TLs. At least 2 to 5 TLs a day; yet rarely do I see an M. I'm tuned into Ms b/c my parents got one and from what I've read, it'd be my dream car if it came with a manual transmission.
  • Options
    Down in South Tampa, they seem to be few and far between.
    Every time I go to my Dr. up Dale Mabry past Northdale, the parking lot has quite a few M's. No TL's.
    They probably belong to the docs.

Of course the best place to see all the vehicles discussed in this forum and every other imaginable entry luxury and luxury sedan in Tampa is at any Bucs game in the reserved parking lots.
    Almost as good as going to a car show.
  • Options
    When was the last time you saw an Aston Martin or Maserati "on the road?"
    I usually only see them at car shows.

As far as cars one is likely to see normally, the TL would be right up there at or close to the top.
    IMO.
  • Options
    M's are hot. However, I'm awaiting the new G this fall, as it will be slightly redesigned with an alleged 3.7 320 hp engine.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion...even though it's odd! The Infiniti M is quirky-looking at best. It'll look obsolete in a couple of years -- like most Nissan styling efforts.
  • Options
    potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    "When was the last time you saw [a] Maserati "on the road?""

Yesterday. Heading North on the Macon (GA) Bypass coming back from Florida. Driven by a blue haired lady.
  • Options
    "When was the last time you saw an Aston Martin or Maserati "on the road?" "

Relatively not uncommon in the Boston area (saw a Quattroporte this week, forget the day). My office (okay, cubicle) overlooks a main thoroughfare ex. Boston to the 'burbs. Sometimes I want to jump through the window and just grab some of the cars that roll by!

My brother lives in LA which, of course is a whole different world car wise. I visited for a week this summer and saw 5 different Bentley Continental GTs on the road. Which is also better looking than the M, imho. And as my parents lived in Boca and I visited yearly, well, between these three locales I get to see it all. Not afford it all, but see it all :cry:;)

Oh, well. My TL is a beauty... :blush:

• Options
    Around LA you would expect to see them along with quite a few Priuses.
    Wilshire Blvd. would probably be a great place to car watch.

Didn't know about Boston. Must be quite the sight on Commonwealth Ave!
  • Options
    I'm still waiting to see my first Maserati on the road.
    I will know one when I see one, that's for sure, after going to so many car shows.
  • Options
    The Quattroporte is quite a stunner of a four door sedan. The current coupe I find totally lacking in style. Chopping the top off the coupe to make the Spyder improves it's appearance about 100%.

Re: The TL, more than one review I've read have noted styling themes akin to Alfa Romeo and BMW. It's a beauty! The most stylish of the three sedans of this topic, my order of exterior style would be:

TL
    G35

The G is handsome enough, but I've never found it a compelling design. To me, the new 3 is the best of the "Bangle" era designs, possibly because it is the least "Bangled!?"

• Options
    booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    The G is handsome enough

Don't you think the G35 is a bit effeminate looking?
  • Options
    Yes. The new 3 is the least "bangled," but he did enough damage.
    He should have left the tail lights alone. I can't stand looking at them.

I hope when I test the TL, I don't come away too enthusiastic.
    August, 2008 is a long time to have to wait. :(
  • Options
    I don't know if I would go as far as saying it's effeminent, but, of the 3, it is the most conservative and generic in style.
  • Options
    Whatever, dude. I have never heard anything but praise for the M's styling & performance. But what else should one expect from around here. This is the TL RAW! RAW! Board. The land of the TL co-dependents. It's a roit to read this retheroic. We Infiniti owners get compliments in the real world while you guys have RAW! RAW sessions online. lol! Later!
  • Options
    "This is the TL RAW! RAW! Board" Unlike the Infiniti M board where they do not post positively about their chosen ride...? I'm sure it's all negative by the tone of your post...

Dude, that was one wacky post. Enjoy your M.

Buh bye?

• Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    It's a roit to read this retheroic

It's a riot to read that!

TL owners like their cars. So? I considered a G35 as well but the styling looked somewhat girly to me and man, the price of the car once its comparably equipped was $5K more than a TL. And the car's smaller. The M35 is nice but $12K more than a TL? I drew the line at $31K for the Acura.
  • Options
    If you go to a BMW thread and gush about your Lexus, you won't get a lot of sympathy.

You want positive reinforcement, you have to "preach to the choir." ;)
  • Options
    Well, I'm not sure about the G35 being a bit effeminate. I just find that it appears to stand a bit too tall, overall it looks long and thin. Upright. Rear end doesn't work for me. It's not ugly, just a 7 to the TL's 9 in my book.

Of course, the G Coupe is another story. That's a beauty.

• Options
    Money Magazine, March 2005
    Sharp handling, big fun. And with 298 hp (280 in automatics) the manual-transmission G35 is the fleetest, strongest player in the class.
  • Options
    Ha ha, sure. Money Magazine talking about cars. And I read Playboy for their reviews on lawn mowers!

What do you drive anyway, G? M? Both? Anyway, don't matter, same basic quirky styling.
  • Options
    That's cool, one mag's opinion. CR has the TL top rated. One mag's opinion. I just thumbed through (M & T or R & T, can't remember. Man, I'm getting old :cry: ). Comparo of AWD sedans. In a nutshell, the G didn't win with negatives including "feeling old" and "cheap interior." One mag's opinion. But does it matter to you? Because, and this is a very big because, whose money are you spending on a car? Yours (well, maybe bank's or finance co., but you know what I'm saying) or a magazine's money? Drive, compare/contrast, think, buy and be happy. I am quite so with my TL as I'm sure I would have been with the G had that been my top rated choice.

• Options
    That's cool too. CR has the M top rated in its class. Give me a "T". Give me an "L". What do you have? TL! RAW! RAW! An online RAW! RAW! session is all the TL can mustard up in the real world.
  • Options
    "An online RAW! RAW! session is all the TL can mustard up in the real world."

What are you talking (posting) about???

Theory: Driving one day, you were well behind a TL trying to "ketchup" but your engine couldn't "mustard" enough power to do so... :)

• Options
    Don't worry about realty_pro. The DUDE just has a serious case of TL-envy, and likely also a terminal case of buyer-remorse when he realized his pride and joy will look obsolete before most TLs are broken in.
  • Options
    No worries, mate. What other posters write about the TL matters not to me. I voted with my wallet already and have posted honestly about my TL experience (overwhelimingly positive, noting a couple of minor warts).

I think you're right, such apparent vitriol directed at an apparently pleased group of owners must represent some kind of envy.

Still not sure if he drives a G or an M, though. Either way, two fine automobiles to which I have no reason to cast aspersions. To either the cars or their owners. ;)

BTW: In addition to realty's condiment confusion, is "RAW RAW" akin to "RAH RAH?" Maybe "RAW" is "RAH" with a Southern accent, y'all? :D

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Not in the South where I live. ;)

You folks might want to consider whether you want to feed the troll ...
  • Options
    I think RAW RAW is RAH RAH with a troll's accent. ;)
  • Options
    No envy whatsoever.
  • Options
    Both nice cars, but the G is a lot more money! And you can't buy an 06 right now - at least at the dealers around here. That would spook me - having to buy an 05 model 2 months into 06. I think most TL drivers would love to have the 330, but man, that's another $10K.

All very fine vehicles. For $31K the TL is a huge value tho. I doubt the new G35 will be less money than the 05.
  • Options
    Bimmers are nice, but not too original, just kind of plain. What's more, your aforementioned cars aren't as nimble, quick & as good looking as a G. The M3 doesn't appeal to me and cost has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    get back to a reasonable comparison of these vehicles and take the personal issues that have been occurring here (that I've just spent a lot of time deleting) outside.

Thank you.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Bimmers are nice, but not too original, just kind of plain. What's more, your aforementioned cars aren't as nimble, quick & as good looking as a G. The M3 doesn't appeal to me and cost has nothing to do with it.

BMW isn't original? What do you call their new designs? I don't they they're pretty, but they are original!

AS far as good looking goes, I think the G35 looks kind of like the Cadillac CTS...too blocky/stodgy for my tastes. But mine and your opinion are just that; opinions. WHat turns you off about the M3? It's 333 horsepower? Race-car inspired tranny? Ultra-sharp handling?

I'm not a BMW advocate, but the M3 does have some amazing merits. It doesn't interest me b/c I think a car as expensive as that should be at least as reliable as my 1996 Accord which has cost me exactly $250 in repairs since it was brand new (157,000 miles ago). No Euro brand comes close to being that reliable.
  • Options
    WHat turns you off about the M3? It's 333 horsepower? Race-car inspired tranny? Ultra-sharp handling?

The aforementioned attributes of the M3 are very nice and appreciated. But the looks, the go-cart stance and the BMW reliability turned me off. To each his own. BTW, I have a 2000 Honda Accord with many reliable miles as well. However, when it came time for me to purchase a sport sedan, the TL was quickly eliminated from my selection because I already had an accord. That left the 3 series and the G. The G got my money because of its class leading power, too close to call handling & grin inducing lines. ;) I'm sure you all would disagree......
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Nope, no disagreement from me...the power isn't that much of an advantage. The G35 accelerated no quicker than the TL in the latest Car and Driver comparo; both hit 60MPH in 5.9 seconds. The lines of the car are strictly personal preference; nobody can dispute you for that.

I've got nothing to dispute with your choice, because it is, after all, yours to make!
  • Options
    jaguilajaguila Member Posts: 12
    Can someone tell me how the G35's navigation system is compared to the TL's?
  • Options
    pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    As far as I know Acura has the best Navigation on the market.
  • Options
    dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    The Honda/Acura navigation is the best OEM unit currently available. If you get the G, you'll be better off with the Garmin Nuvi 350 or maybe the new Alpine Blackbird (Alpine also makes the Honda/Acura navigation unit). The 2007 G37 will probably get the same navi as the 2006 M35/45 with voice recognition which the TL already has.
  • Options
    The Accord's is better than the TL's
  • Options
    I think the M35/45s is better than the TLs - I'm not sure whether you can program the Ms while in motion (if you can't, then the TLs is better), but the voice recognition on the M35/45 extends to enterring letters and street-names, whereas the TL requires manual entry of these.
  • Options
    dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    I think you can only program the M's navi while in park which means your passenger can't assist while you're driving.
  • Options
    Hmmm...that would also negate some of the usefulness of voice recognition. It'd be faster to use your hands. :(
  • Options
    red_emronred_emron Member Posts: 10
    New design in the fall, Anybody know details?

Red
  • Options
    twmarktwmark Member Posts: 41
    For the price of a 330xi, you could get an Acura RL.
This discussion has been closed.