Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35 vs BMW 330xi

Comments

• Options
    mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    As a Wisconsin boy living in Minnesota, I have driven RWD, FWD, and AWD. When you are driving on fresh or hard pack snow, and trying to make a left turn in traffic. I'll take AWD EVERY TIME! Throw in a steep driveway, again AWD is better imho ;)

You have to understand that AWD does not beat the laws of physics so you can't go flying down a snow covered expressway like it is summer! But for starting out in low traction situations, AWD always gets you going faster then RWD or FWD. We now have two AWD vehicles in our house. My wife used to fight me to get the AWD Mini-van instead of the Passat GLX FWD once the snow flew. Now I fight her to get into the G35x ;)
  • Options
    kki000kki000 Member Posts: 17
    I love how ppl are always saying that awd is unnecessary. Its great that most ppl who say that live in Florida. Good for you, i certainly would be driving a coupe and not and x if i lived in FL.

If tl was awd, i would have bought it in a heartbeat.
    But to be honest, i would take the tl over an older awd car with no traction control/mgmnt.

The TL with snows would be a formidable snow machine, but no beast like the g35x.
  • Options
    what he said :surprise:
  • Options
    bifbif Member Posts: 7
    I just finished back-to-back test drives of the G35 AWD and the Acura TL, both automatic, so I thought I'd give my impressions.

Head and leg room felt identical, front and back.

Although I've read that people like the TL interior more, I liked the G35 interior better.

I liked the G35 driving experience significantly more than the TL. Yes, the G35 ride can correctly be called a bit stiff, but that is OK with me. A personal preference thing. I would say the G35 is on the edge of being overpowered for normal driving. Again, that is OK with me, personally.

I like the nav system on the TL. Did not get to see it on the G35. (Generally, the Acura dealership I went to was a better experience than the Infiniti.)

Even though I liked the G35 better, I will probably buy the TL because I think I can bring in the the FWD Acura for several thousand less then a comparably equipped AWD G35.
  • Options
    ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    Acura TL is a good family sedan. BMW 3 is a best sport sedan. Yes, BMW has less HP, but it is RWD car so you could press acelerator hard.
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    ingvar,

TL a good family sedan :confuse: right, good one...

Depends on the 3 series model you are talking about in regards to HP differential. I believe the 330 has a little more than the TL.

What does a vehicle being RWD have to do with allowing one to "press accelerator hard?"

:confuse:
  • Options
    realty_prorealty_pro Member Posts: 85
    The TL has 270 hp, the 330 has 255 hp, The G35 has 298 & the Lexus 350 has 306hp.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The TL actually has 258 v. 255 for the 330. But I would venture to say the German horses are somewhat more "muscular". ;)
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I stand corrected ;)
  • Options
    Acura dropped the hp on the TL? I thought it use to be 270?
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    Same HP, different SAE measurement standard. Other Marques are restating HP. Some higher, some lower. And some just right... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    I've read that Acura had to drop of TL's HP rating due to a change in procedures. Given this drop, does anyone have any opinion of how the TL compares to the 325i?
  • Options
    podrespodres Member Posts: 58
    The 325 is a slowpoke compared to the TL. More like the Acura TSX.
  • Options
    I haven't driven the new 325i with the 215hp motor, but I would suspect it would be closer to the TL, rather than the TSX, in performance, both instrumented, and seat-of-the-pants.
  • Options
    minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    I am also in the market for a 5-seat sedan in 30k range.
    One question for the TL purchasers (vs G35x or even Lex IS250 AWD): did you think about the keyless start that TL does not offer? Seems like a combination of convenience and mondo coolness - something making me lean towards G35x more than TL.

Also, any feedback from the post-purchase experience on reliability of Infiniti vs Acura? When Automobile magazine tested G35 vs BMW vs Audi (no TL in the comparison) G35 had more interior rattles and squeaks.

Lastly, what kind of discount from MSRP are people finding on purchase (not lease) for G35x vs TL? Adding the options to make G look like TL (at least on paper) gets one into the very high 30's.

Thanks.
  • Options
    bplayerbplayer Member Posts: 56
    Some cool features stimulate emotions but in reality add very little to the driving experience. Keyless start is one of them.

Say you drive 20,000 miles per year with an average speed of 30 mph, you will have spent over 650 hours driving. If you average 4 trips per day and the keyless start saves you 30 seconds, you will have saved about 12 minutes per year. Compared to the amount of driving, keyless start is really just bragging rights and more money for the manufacturer.
  • Options
    Potentially just one more thing to do wrong and leave you stranded at the Outlet Mall! But seriously, if it is the kind that lets you leave the fob in your pocket, then it has some value of convenience. But if you still need to stick the fob in a hole on the dash before pushing the start button, then, IMO, it's just a useless gimmick (like moonroofs, and manumatics).
  • Options
    Many features and characteristics influenced my decision to buy the TL over the G35. Keyless ignition was not one of them (hey, turning the key in the ignition is one of my daily workouts! ;) ), I see no real value added. But that's just me.

At least when I bought (end of '04, '05 TL) buying at invoice was fairly easy. Two dealers were at invoice, my issue was trade value of my 300M (good car!). Didn't expect much and expectations were met :cry: . G35 are heavily discounted, too.

After over a year with the TL, not much to report other than it is a smooth, powerful, economical, fun to drive, handsome car with a great stereo! I'm scheduled for my second service next week where I have one rattle that needs to be addressed. But it only happens when the sunroof is in the "vent" position, so not a bid deal. At first service, a computer module had to be replaced (for the onboard computer, outside temp would occassionally read ---, rumor has it that left in that state it could drain the battery) but that's about it.

Great car.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I tested a Passat and the "keyless" is really a joke. So you stick the fob in the car instead of a key. I am talking about the system like the Lexus IS I tested (but the car is too small) where you keep the fob in your pocket and press start.

I think it's a giant convenience factor on the Infiniti, but in all other areas I am leaning towards the TL.

As for the calculations of time savings w/ the keyless fob, I think this whole market segment is more emotion than math. If you made a calculation including horsepower for the money and resale value, it would point to an Accord LX V6 or Maxima. The entry luxury market is all about emotion and features that don't necessarily compute on a calculator but in aggregate offer an emotional value for the person who, depending upon how you look at it, has the money to purchase the luxury (my opinion :) ) or is a sucker enough to fall for the gimmicks (kind of what my wife thinks ;) )

My $0.02
  • Options
    matt19hscmatt19hsc Member Posts: 6
    That isn't true. I have recently driven both and the BMW drives 5x better than the TL. I own a TL by the way.

And the 325 leaves the TSX in the dust. Not even a comparison.
  • Options
    qaliqali Member Posts: 60
    You say you have recently driven both. If you have a TL, why would you want to drive it again. Second, what was your rationale for buying the TL in the first place?.
  • Options
    matt19hscmatt19hsc Member Posts: 6
    Company Car.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Keyless start coupled with keyless entry would be a huge coolness factor for me - I'd like the idea of just leaving the whole thing in my pocket. If I have to pull out the fob to enter the car, then keyles start doesn't amtter. I also don't know how "cool" it'd be to show off to friends - I would hope only the driver's side door would unlock.

As an aside, I think the TL nav w/ voice recognition is one of the coolest things out there. It's a great system.
  • Options
    acagrillacagrill Member Posts: 2
    Both the G35 and BMW fitted out the way I want retail for about $40k. I will keep the car long term (10 years). My biggiest concern is the cost to maintain especially after the warranties expire!! Which is the more reliable car? I've driven Nissan Maximas for the past 15 years with little problem.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    If I were to spend 40K on an automobile and I KNEW I was going to keep it 10 years, I definitely would go for an extended warranty with either the G35 or BMW.

I’ve never gone 10 years (lucky to get to 2), so I can’t image all the things that can go wrong.
  • Options
    mike132mike132 Member Posts: 1
    Just small late question. You tell Your TL is economical. What is Your mpg? I just bought 06TL and I am getting 17mpg in NY suburbs in January. Is it norm? In all other I completely agree with You: TL drives, looks and feel great!
  • Options
    I've been fairly consistently averaging 22-23mpg since I bought my '05 auto. Most of the miles are my daily 40 mile commute, a mix of local (stop/go) and highway (faster stop/go!!!). I think the lowest mpg tank I had was 20mpg which was mostly local. When not "having fun," I drive economically (egg between foot and pedal).

Strictly highway mpg is very good. I believe you can get 30mpg at 70+ mph. Hopefully your mpg will improve as the engine breaks in and weather warms up...

• Options
    buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    I hear the TL has poor "low end torque"....weak acceleration at low speeds, any comments??
    Thanks!
  • Options
    You do need to rev it higher to get a good pull, so "yes." I find the early clutch engagement (it picks up as soon as your foot is off the floor) helps make up for this, and you can hold each gear pretty long, so it's only an issue from a dead stop.
  • Options
    buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    thanks, how does that relate to an automatic....
  • Options
    Umm...you probably need to press the gas more. It's probably more noticeable in the automatic.
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Don't be timid about pushing the car to the redline - and hold on! You can use the SportShift if needed.
  • Options
    I have an automatic TL. I find it has plenty of "jump" off the line. Where I find it slightly wanting is when you come out of a low-speed corning and the tranny is one gear too high. But, as someone had said, you can probably fix that thru the use of the SS.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    The TL's powerband is around 5500 rpm or so. That's close to the tach redline. And the car is nicely screaming at that rpm. I think most folks feel uncomfortable with the revs that high because of the 'noise', but that's where the power is. The car can handle it.

When I hit 105mph the other day I had it in 3rd gear up to 85 or more, and she sounded wonderful.
  • Options
    I've made the rounds, plan on going w/ TL once I sell my current wheels.

I really like the IS 250 AWD, but it's too small, and as Motor Trend notes, it's a slow heavyweight - too bad Lexus put all the emotion into the IS 350 which only comes in RWD (no good for New England - my specialty car is my convertible for the summer - the fixed roof needs to work in the winter)

G35 is very nice, feels fast, when behind the wheel looking straight ahead seems to be a similar experience to the TL. G35 brings AWD for the 10 days per year I might need it and has the really cool remote keyless feature (as does Lex IS) but G has no trip computer unless I get Nav (don't need it) and w/o nav remains about $4k more than TL w/o nav. And G35 mileage is substantially lower (not that after spending $30+k on a car I cannot afford the gas, just the environmentalist in me is also infuriated that oil companies post a record profit on our collective backs at the pump :mad: :mad: ).
  • Options
    Don't forget the RWD the G35x offers when you aren't using the AWD feature. I also LOVE the keyless thing. Never having to dig into my coat or pocket for a key is very conveienent. I didn't realize how nice this feature is until owning the car for awhile.

I have a 2005 G35x with around 12K. Mixed around town driving average about 20 mpg. Highway only around 25 mpg. Not that bad for fuel economy and that is with winter gas. Trip computer is not that big of a deal, and I have the NAV. I haven't used the trip computer yet!

Bought it last July for $36,500 loaded. Could have paid $34,500 without the NAV.
  • Options
    newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    Im looking at the G 35 AWD and am not sure of whether to get that the TL or Lexus GS.

I think the body style of the G 35 is ok. Its not spectacular but ok and the TL may be a bit more ok than the G 35.

The thing is if i buy the G35, without nav for about 32,000 a 3,000 premium off of sticker, it will be obsolete after when they come out with a re modeled G 35 in september?? Is it worth spending the money, even though the G will be redesigned ?/
  • Options
    Is it worth spending the money, even though the G will be redesigned ?/ Only you can answer that question :surprise:

If you are considering the Lexus GS, have you test driven the M 35x? That car is more in the same price range as the GS. Have you test driven any of the German offerings like the Audi A6? There are a ton of really nice cars in this classification.

Do you really need the AWD? If you don't live in snow country, that would save you another $2,000.00. Good luck with your decsion, any of these cars will probably be a pleasure to drive and own.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    When driving on the interstate in my BMW 5 series this morning, I was fortunate enough to be driving behind one of the best looking vehicles I have seen in some time.
    It was a brand new, light blue TL.
    I immediately wanted one, and that's why I am here reading all your posts.

A previous poster wrote that he wouldn't get one because it looks too much like an Accord. I must strongly disagree-no contest in the styling dept.

For the record, I too can't stand the new 3 series' tail-lights. I have driven a new 330i and you feel every bump. The 5 is much better suspension-wise.

How is the TL's suspension?
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I think you'll find the TL's ride similar to the 3 when feeling the road. 45 series tires can do that.

But a light blue TL? That's not a factory color.
  • Options
    "...one of the best looking vehicles I have seen in some time. " But, it wasn't designed by Chris Bangle?!?

I agree with you on the TL styling, imho the best looking Acura since the original Legend Coupe (an homage to the earlier BMW 6 series?).

I think the TL offers a nice blend of ride and handling. Honda probably does the best handling fwds. I chose my '05 Abyss (darker) blue TL over the G35 because, among other reasons, a smoother, quieter ride (and superior external/internal style). Not as smooth/quiet as the Lexus ES, but I didn't want quite that level of isolation.

Give the TL a test drive, you probably already have quite a benchmark in the 5. Let us know what you think.

• Options
    I couldn't find the color on Acura's website. It was definitely light blue, a real knockout and the car was obviously showroom new. I don't get it. Can he have put in a special order for the color? No color on the Acura website even comes close to what I saw and I know what I saw! Strange!
  • Options
    Just got up-to-speed on these posts and want to voice my agreement that the TL handles very well - go test-drive 1. W/r/t the mystery-color, I just want to point out that if you saw the color with the sun hitting it, it'll look lighter than on the website. That being said, colors often look different on websites than in real life.

I have an '04 in a dark green metallic. In sunlight, it looks green metallic, on overcast days it looks dark green and at night it looks black. I haven't seen a computer photo capture it correctly under any lighting circumstances.
  • Options
    Any chance it could have been an RL? There is a light blue RL (powder blue?) here at work. Speaking of RL, this past Sunday, a Boston area dealer advertised an '06 RL for just under $40k...

• Options
    You were looking at the RL, not a TL.
  • Options
    I could have sworn I saw TL on the rear.

Perhaps it was silver and the way the sun was hitting it, it looked like a light silvery blue? Doubtful, right?

Is the RL a real looker from behind? This car was gorgeous.

I sure hope I see it again.
  • Options
    "Is the RL a real looker from behind? This car was gorgeous."

It couldn't possibly have been an RL then! :P
  • Options
    Ouch!
    I am quite sure it was a TL. I got close enough to see the "TL."
    I have to say-that is surely one of the best looking cars out there.
  • Options
    Well, TLs aren't that rare so seeing one (or more) should not be that difficult. You could always check out both cars online, compare/contrast. You might be right about the silver or maybe it was the light metallic green color (can't think of the name) that in certain light read light blue?

Both handsome cars, imho. The problem with the RL styling is it is generically handsome. It blends a little too much. The TL is a great, aggressive wedge with nice details including the pronounced character line along the flanks (mimic in the door handles and parking lamps) and the side rear window treatments (windows drop) as the roof continues to flow into the (thankfully non-Bangled!) trunk area.

Let us know when you solve this mystery and once you are sure, are you going to act upon your new found lust???

• Options
    I did check them both online at Acura's website.
    It WAS the TL and the fourth thumbnail photo in the top row from the left in the photo gallery was close to the color I saw-so I guess it was silver with the sun giving it a light blue appearance since there is no TL available in light blue, in which case I must say that was the most beautiful silver I have ever seen on a car.

In Florida, the TL is kind of rare. Seems everybody here is driving a pickup truck, SUV, Accord or Camry.
    When I go visit back on Long Island where I am from, the TL is much more prevalent-could be the FWD-more popular up north.

I liked it enough to test drive one-see if I agree with CR.
    I will post here again after I do so.

I drove the 330i-nobody has the 330xi down here-and expect the TL to have a better interior and more room.
    IMO, the TL is a better looking car than the 330i.
    I hate the 330i's tail lights as much as I like the TL's.
This discussion has been closed.