Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    IMO Allstate is a piece of work anyway. A few years ago a kid backed out of a parking spot right into my kid's car at school and they tried to argue that my kid was at fault for not blowing the horn (like they would have heard it over the stereo!). They ended up paying, but I wonder how many times they get away with that crap? I had to threaten small claims court before Allstate backed off. Personally, I sure wouldn't use them for any of my insurance needs after that experience. I figure if they tried to con me, they will probably try to screw the policyholders as well on claims. Don't need that crap.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And your nickname is smarty666 no less

Did you notice that Smarty only drives beasts with six speeds? :P
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Let's see where this goes. Burden of proof is on Allstate.

They could get $$$ if they paid claims on known-bad CTS pedals. So they could actually win, but then who is liable? Toyota or CTS? Maybe Toyota pays up and then has to go after the supplier.

I was reading about this on AN this morning and also read that SUA complaints are down 80% for Toyota (told you the hype would die down).

Toyota could argue now that those faulty pedals were replaced, the mats are secured, and the public is educated about what isn't UA, the problem rate has gone back to normal compared to other manufacturers.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    OT for the thread but funny...several years ago a friend of mine got t-boned by a teenage girl who ran a stop sign and hit his beloved old Monte Carlo SS. Her insurance company tried to make it out to be his fault because he didn't avoid her! I was stunned at the nerve. He had to fight them to pay enough to get the car fixed properly too. I don't think it was Allstate...it was some jerky little company, as the girl already had several crashes under her belt.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    Camry lease for $249.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited October 2010
    Did you notice that Smarty only drives beasts with six speeds?

Truly scary. But I do recall that he is a backer of Toyota so I called him to speak to the unwashed masses. Just kidding.

Crikey!

Toyota, Kia and Mitsubishi are all going to be here for the long count, as well as Suzuki. Guys, in case you've all forgotten to clear the cobwebs, take a look at this quote from Wikicars.

On Dec 9th 2009, Volkswagen and Suzuki announced that it has "reached a common understanding to establish a close longterm strategic partnership" with Suzuki Motor Corporation. The union means VW will buy 19.9% of Suzuki, then Suzuki will spend half the money they just received from Volkswagen reciprocating by buying VW shares.

Beyond that, Suzuki gains access to VW technology while Volkswagen gets a boost in its small car development as well as access to Suzuki's dealer network in India and Southeast Asia. Suzuki and VW will remain independent, but rumour suggests that VW might increase its stake to 33% or more at some point down the road, which could shift the balance of power.

Read more: Suzuki - Wikicars
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

That's gagrice's favorite, V-Dub-L-You, and Japan's Suzuki collaborating together here. We always seem to think that America runs the worldwide automotive manufacturing show. We don't, however we used to.

So ateixeira, smarty666 and a few of the rest of us will keep you all on track and on the correct course in here. Guys, how quickly you forget major automotive news.

It's all Kia, Subaru (because of their joint venture with Toyota on the FT-86), Mitsubishi and Toyota from here on out. The Germans have lost their minds along with Babwa-Wah-Wah and Dennis Rodman and Donald Trump. Don't waste your precious time with dose guys.

Mini-me Suzuki Kizashi

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    The union means VW will buy 19.9% of Suzuki, then Suzuki will spend half the money they just received from Volkswagen reciprocating by buying VW shares.

Great news! I'll bet that Suzuki is now on track to sell, oh, I dunno, about 25 cars east of the Mississippi by the middle of next year.

It's always Christmas in July when a 3rd tier brand hooks up with a 10th tier brand. I'll bet that the Germans are quaking in their boots!

The Germans have lost their minds along with Babwa-Wah-Wah and Dennis Rodman and Donald Trump.

Um, isn't Volkswagen German? Is this your roundabout way of saying that, yes, Suzuki is well & truly doomed?

And isn't Mitsubishi Japanese for "cars that are so forgettable that they're practically invisible - unless you slap on a wing so big that you can hang wet beach towels from it"?

Your sympathy for the underdog is touching. But at least Toyota is out of your doghouse.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    But at least Toyota is out of your doghouse.

I think it is a short term love affair. When the car of his dreams hits the showroom with the price from his nightmares, Toyota will be back to a small "t". It is really too bad that a driving enthusiast has not tried a German car. Even a utility vehicle like my 05 Passat Wagon was a hoot to drive. I am still hoping that VW figures out how to get their Tiguan TDI onto our showrooms. A midsized SUV that gets 44 MPG combined would be a killer car. And the 2011 Tiguan leaves the Asian offerings looking like something that Tonka would sell for the kiddies. Of course the Chinese get all the good stuff first now that they are THE Car market of the World.

• Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    VW just wants 'Zook so it can have small-engined subcompacts and microcars for the third world markets where they need to increase sales.

And as much as I like Suzuki, there is NO WAY it will make it past 2015 in the U.S. (down 49% in the U.S. so far this year when everyone else is up 5-20%, AND that was before they lost the XL7 and the GM V-6 in the Grand Vitara???)

Mitsu might make it to 2020 if they are really lucky, but the only way they will get past that milestone is if they completely revamp their automobiles and the way they do business. Otherwise it will be "back to Japan!" for them too.

And I'm enjoying your ongoing pricing speculation on the next-gen Celica and hoping you are right about the $20,995, but I'm still sure that if they DO manage that base price, it will be $21,695 including destination and will be as stripped as a 50-state legal car can be in the U.S. in the year 2012. Can you say crank windows and no stereo?! :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    edited October 2010
    bite your tonque about that! Or this:

And I'm enjoying your ongoing pricing speculation on the next-gen Celica and hoping you are right about the $20,995, but I'm still sure that if they DO manage that base price, it will be $21,695 including destination and will be as stripped as a 50-state legal car can be in the U.S. in the year 2012. Can you say crank windows and no stereo?!

Yep, I am really starting to feel their production pain through the automotive oasis osmosis. My latest estimate on 2012 Toyota Celica base model RWD front-engine, red in color, power w's, d's, m's, A/C and a kickin' stereo with 10" subwoofer in the trunk, 6-speed manual transmission is $21,995. I can't see them offering the car lower than that.

Having said that, the above car would be all that I want and not a titch or a tatch more. And I would go test drive one for that price. That's where things could get sticky. It would have to blow me automotively away. If it did, I would begin negotiations. In today's internet car world we can find out pert-near everything on paper and picture about the car of our dreams ahead of time, it's that all-important test drive that separates the men from the Dennis Rodman's and Donald Trump's.

I have a funny feeling this car would blow me away right from the start. BTW-the 2010 Suzuki Kizashi is a great car and was a blast to drive. I thoroughly enjoyed the Las Vegas(actually it was the suburb of Henderson, NV, 8 miles south a the strip) test drive. That is your No.1 midsize car out there, no doubt aboutsk it. Done deal. End of story. Great pricing. Etc. Just couldn't convince myself that it was better than my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

Competition is a wonderful thing. Everyone likes to duke Mitsubishi outta the U.S. Interesting. Their CEO says they're staying. Talk is cheap. Do your research. Mitsubishi is right on course to continue producing and selling world class cars. Better than all the German cars put together.

Let's ask Donald Trump what he thinks about Mitsubishi quality and fine car production.

A Mitsubishi in the hand is much betta dan a German car in da garage...anyday.
    Do yer homework!

• Options
    The Donald might want to stick to managing his born-on-third-base empire and not deal with cars :shades:

Actually, seeing the taste and class he exudes, he probably drives a gold plated Maybach with a baby seal skin interior.
  • Options
    Camry lease for $249.

That sounds expensive when competitors have $199/month leases.
  • Options
    Tiguan is already expensive. And small. And lacks the nicer interior from the GTI.

A TDI model would probably cost a bundle.
  • Options
    Trump had a deal with GM for a while. He was at the NY Auto Show for the 06 intro of some new Cadillacs, and pointed to a Caddy limo and said "I'd rather have one of those".

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Trivia: can you name the other guy?

That wasn't even the highlight of the show - I met this guy, shook his hand, and got a signed press kit.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    A Mitsubishi in the hand is much betta dan a German car in da garage

Particularly now that every Mitsu comes with rear window bar code stickers at no extra cost - part of the "Budget Rent-A-Car Trim Package". Who said that Mitsubishi's best days ended when the 1st George Bush left the White House?
  • Options
    Lutz?
  • Options
    Yup. He's aged a lot since then, eh?

Shelby already looked old, but WOW that guy has some presence. Incredible experience.

The biggest Camaro fan in the world could stand next to him for 3 seconds, and start loving Mustangs.
  • Options
    and I do love those Mustangs!

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Toyota is offering free maintenance for the first two years you own your Toyota, or the first 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101007/CARNEWS/101009932

The plans cover all normal factory-recommended maintenance services outlined in each vehicle's owners manual, including oil and filter changes, tire rotations, lubrication of key chassis parts/components, a 19-point inspection and 24-hour roadside assistance.

I say fine, but upping their overall Warranty to match the Kia, Hyundai and Mitsubishi Warranties would go a lot further for future Toyota new vehicle purchasers. Factor in the new 2012 Toyota Celica though, and this is great news. Sort of like free Snickers bars for a year, at the rate of one Snickers bar every other day.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

That's gonna be one short rear door

• Options
    edited October 2010
    $83 to you?

It's available if you want it in appreciation for this upcoming Celica from Toyota.

• Options
    As far as I can determine, zero down payment, zero security deposit, zero first month's payment, zero aquisition fee. After 3 years, 62% residual. You are paying about msrp, but this is not the way Toyota is used to moving the metal.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Why you's guys dumpin' the pain?

Why all the hate for Toyota's beautiful new car, the FT-86? This is looking to me like the best car body design ever, from any manufacturer, any model year.

Can't be over $21,995 or I'm stickin' wid da '08 Lancer GTS

And that's a promise, not a threat.

• Options
    edited October 2010
    that confirm the $21,000 pricing estimate of mine. Here ya all go.

http://www.ridelust.com/toyota-supracelica-revival-cancelled-subieyota-sports-fr- - -still-on/

Originally scheduled to debut in 2011, the Subieyota Sports FR has been postponed for launch until March 2012, but it has not been cancelled. Unlike many other performance ventures, the obstacles the Subaru/Toyota Sports FR have been met with are not financial but rather technical. According to reports, the Sports FR’s production delay is a direct result of complications that arose while attempting to mate Toyota’s D-4S direct-injection system with Subaru’s flat-4 boxer engine. Engineering complications aside, Akio Toyoda himself confirmed that the Sports FR will continue has planned, hitting dealer lots in 2012 with a price tag of around $21k.

YEE-HAAAWW!!!!

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Toyoda sounds like Bill Gates. Our next version of Windows will be much better. Just not quite ready yet. Postponed again. And how about this news on the FT-86 yesterday.

There were two sources that went to the Toyota National Dealer meeting in Vegas this week and on Wednesday they showed them the new 2012 Camry along with the FT86. They did not have the FT86 there; they just watched a video on a huge screen explaining the marketing, engineering, and design of the FT86 and they said that it was being released as a Scion at about $25,000.

Ft-86 Scion
  • Options
    What's the date of that? You do know the dollar has collapsed vs the Yen,right?

Or maybe Toyota will sell it at a loss like it no doubt did with the original LS.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    but a smokescreen ta hide the real truth. That is this, of course.

The 2012 Toyota Celica will be arriving at American Toyota dealers in November of 2011. The low end base Celica will price toutly at only $21,995. That car will weigh 2,700 pounds. It will be front-engined, RWD, 6-speed manual transmission, have power windows, locks and mirrors and possess a kickin' stereo, complete with obigatory 10" subwoofer in the trunk and have air conditioning all as standard equipment.

This will be the so-called "tuner" package, so as to not alienate the young and frugal older crowd.

• Options
    22k for you. 25 k for the real world. Sorry bud. :sick:
  • Options
    yes, you are right on that information. The car will be a Scion FT-86, and will start at $25,000.

Oh well. I'm over and out on this pup. I already have a nice Japanese sporty car in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, and frankly, was not coming to an equitable agreement with myself to justify trading it in on a 2012 Toyota FT-86 anyway.

• Options
    edited October 2010
    this news about the FT-86 being a Scion is 3rd party news. Toyota hasn't actually made the announcement to the public yet. Could it still be true? Yes, it probably is true.

But, and it is a legitimately large butt, Toyota is reportedly mulling over putting the 2.5L 4cyl boxer motor from Subaru in and selling the Scion FT-86 for $25,000 in the U.S.

My question is this. Is Toyota going to sell a Scion FT-86 in the U.S. with the smaller boxer motor from Subaru, the 2.0L that gets a competent 170hp? And sell that car for $20,000? Will they mess with two FT-86's?

You see, until I hear it from Toyota themselves, I won't believe that Toyota is going to abandon the same old Scion tradition of captured pricing, BTW-traditionally that pricing will not even come up to $19,995.

If anything, this news only emboldens my chances of getting a 2012 Scion FT-86 for $20,000. I almost bought a 2006 Scion xA for a whopping $14,295. A polar white 2006 xA with mp3 connectivity and foglights. Loved my test drive.

This whole thing is back on. And not only that, I firmly believe Toyota/Scion will offer a base FT-86 for $20,995-$21,995 in base 6-speed form. This belief of mine still falls very firmly within Toyota Lost Wages dealer announcement guidelines.

Think about it carnuts, why would Scion try ta sell a new car for $22,000? Come on! It's a Scion!

The kid in a vintage candy store feelings are welling back up inside of me. Now I wonder if Seattle is gonna get a new NBA franchise. If fairness, honesty and moral values ever entered in to David Stern's mind, Seattle would be awarded a new franchise bearing the famous Sonic name using the same colors Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp graced so very nicely when they dominated the NBA court.

We back in business, boys.

• Options
    You can also bet, if people are as crazy about the FT-86 as you are, the dealers will be tacking on big premiums. Remember the Prius with big dealer add-ons. Somewhere around the end of 2013 you may be able to get a good buy on one. The nature of the market. By then they should have the bugs worked out and it will be a good little car.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    in that, gagrice? This thing is starting to add intrigue now. Dealer add-ons won't work with me. I won't buy them. I'll keep my Lancer GTS. I don't want a FT-86 that bad, I don't know if Dale White Motors of Elko, NV, adds add-on prices. Do all dealers add them?

Dale White Motors doesn't even sell Scion's! Oh-oh! I might have ta go the 200 miles north ta Boise to buy one, entering upon our host steve's territory. They've got quite a football team at Boise State this year.

But Scion dealers don't add the add ons. It goes against the Scion religion to do that. I may make a call to Dale White Motors and ask them some of these Scion questions. Sounds like my dream is fading fast, actually. :cry:

Not so much about 2012 FT-86 pricing but because my local dealer doesn't sell Scion's. Or do they? Or will they? I'll find out. ;)

• Options
    But Scion dealers don't add the add ons. It goes against the Scion religion to do that

That is not true at all. I thought I wanted an xB last Generation. They had a white one with auto that we liked. It was right at $22k before TTL. It had aftermarket wheels and tires with an add-on of $2700. Plus a bunch of other useless air foil junk. I asked if they would sell it with just the original wheels and take off all the crap that falls off in a few weeks. No way would they do that. That was the end of that generation. And we all know they totally screwed up the next gen xB. If I was buying a box on wheels today it would probably be the Kia Soul or the Nissan Cube. The Kia is the roomiest of the bunch. And the best warranty by far. Really don't need another vehicle. Every time I fill one of my 3 gas guzzlers I think how much I am saving by just keeping what is paid for. If the Sequoia sells then I may be in the market.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This may be the most beautiful car in the World. And very green to boot.

The C-X75 concept is both a celebration of 75 years of iconic Jaguar design and a look into the future of automotive technology. Designed as a range-extended electric two-seater supercar, it explores the outer limits of both performance and sustainability. With plug-in capability the car can achieve a zero tailpipe emissions range of 110km (68 miles) – three times round Paris’s Péripherique – when running under battery power alone, plus a potential top speed of 330kph (205mph) and blistering acceleration. The car demonstrates that it is possible to retain Jaguar’s core values of performance, design and luxury using technology that will make environmentally responsible performance and electric vehicles a practical proposition.

Toyota can only dream about building a hybrid to compete with this one.

Save your pennies Iluv and get the real deal. Not some cheap Asian wanna be sports car. :shades:
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I might have ta go the 200 miles north ta Boise to buy one

We liked the Scion dealer in nearby Nampa.

Can't take you out for coffee though. We sold our house in late July and closed on it around Labor Day.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    will indeed be a Scion. Fine with me, car nuts. This information found quotes the Scion US President on the matter.

The company’s president, Jack Hollis, told the aforementioned source that the carmaker doesn’t rule out the possibility of offering a rear-wheel-drive vehicle in the future, adding that the model would be a very important one for the brand and that it would be priced just over $20,000.
    http://www.autoevolution.com/news/toyota-subaru-ft-86-could-also-become-a-scion-- - 23313.html

This is actually great news. I am a Scion supporter, have become obsessed with both the Scion xA and the Scion tC before, big-time.

But this is actually good news...for offering a 4-cyl Subaru motor in a small 4-dr. Scion "FT-86" sedan pricing in around $20,000. Watch, wait and see...the very idea of Scion is to offer sporty, small rigs for a low cost.

We back on

What seemed like scary information has actually been a sheep in wolve's clothing for me. Me-me-me-me-mee-eee-eeee. ;)

• Options
    I don't think Toyota has a clue as to what they will do, when and if they ever get this little car running. Has anyone heard of it actually being on the road? All the pictures so far are in a warehouse or a car show. If Toyota is still trying to mate their DI to the Subaru Boxer engine, it could be a lot more than a year for the car to hit showrooms.

Insideline contacted a Toyota official who made an interesting statement. The official said that the company has never stated the the FT-86 would hit America wearing a Toyota badge.

And I found this interesting if it is NOT going to be a Toyota. Why the moniker FT?

In creating the FT-86 (Future Toyota-86) Sports Concept, Toyota has directly referenced the excitement and fundamental fun-to-drive quality that characterised the Corolla AE-86.

I cannot see this car as a 4 door sedan. That would be a travesty to a decent designed sports coupe.

Lotsa new FT pictures
  • Options
    edited October 2010

The news about the FT-86 coming out as a Scion isn't sitting well with everyone.

iluvmysephia1 is down wid it.

• Options
    edited October 2010
    ask and you shall receive, man! Here's a picture of the FT-86 in testing at Nuhremburg.

I don't think Toyota has a clue as to what they will do, when and if they ever get this little car running. Has anyone heard of it actually being on the road? All the pictures so far are in a warehouse or a car show. If Toyota is still trying to mate their DI to the Subaru Boxer engine, it could be a lot more than a year for the car to hit showrooms.

And the required reference link.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-ft-86.html

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Toyota didn't reveal the FT-86's curb weight, but says the two-door uses a light body and low center of gravity to ensure “racecar-like handling”. At just under 164 inches in length, the concept is nearly a foot and a half shorter than a Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe.

164" in length, nearly a foot and a half shorter than a Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe? Whoa, this pup is really gonna be a short car because the Cobalt Coupe is not a very long car. And to make the FT-86 a 4-door for people like me who want a 4-door? That is going to be a very short rear door on this thing. That remains a point of extreme interest for me is to see Toyota make this car a 4-door sedan. Wow.

You'll see them do it because they want the sales of the 4-door. More sedans will be sold than Coupes by far. But the real drifters will buy the Coupes.

1970 Toyota Celica Hardtop

This was the start of the Toyota Celica series. So my first Scion is in my future, eh? Not really surprising, I have almost bought two Scions before, I was this close to getting that xA in Feb. of 2006.

2005 Scion xA RS 1.0

I still like this car-I like it a lot.

By 1983 the Toyota Celica was starting to look more modern

• Options
    Your article says:

Toyota and Subaru's jointly planned FT-86 sports coupe has drawn a lot of attention from onlookers around the world, with more negative attention than Toyota had originally hoped for. Some critics are citing the design language as being slightly awkward, and not as aggressive as fans had hoped. Subaru has yet to even unveil a concrete indication of what design it will be unveiling, and now Toyota is reportedly going back to the drawing board completely for a totally fresh design.

That does not bode well for a car that is supposed to be released next fall. Think 2015. That gives you plenty of time to wear out the Mitsu and save up your money.
  • Options
    the design manager for the Scion FT-86 says the car is 50% done. It'll be done by Nov.of 2011.

• Options
    Iluv, Did you see the price range estimated in the link you provided?
    Not looking good.
  • Options
    For about a decade I had the EXACT '83 Celica you put in the picture of, and oh MY was that thing fun.

If this IS the return of a RWD Celica, it's about time, and certainly worth looking forward to.

Then the question becomes: what other models will they build off their brand spanking new RWD platform in future? :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    It seems like Toyota is leaving the drive train up to Subaru. Has Subaru ever built a RWD vehicle? All I can remember are FWD and now they are all AWD. Or is this all virgin territory for both companies. Unless they use their 20 year old Celica platforms.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Scion, and their product line is all about providing sporty, sometimes quirky cars for less money, I am feeling better and better about a Scion FR-S being offered in RWD form, 4-doors, power w's, l's and m's, A/C, kickin' stereo with 10" subwoofer in the trunk, Japanese "monkeyback" red and 6-speed manual transmission for $20,995. And buying one for myself. Read this comment from the Scion President in America. This Scion news is probably the best news about this car I've heard ever since the good news was found out that they're going to build the car.

The company’s president, Jack Hollis, told the aforementioned source that the carmaker doesn’t rule out the possibility of offering a rear-wheel-drive vehicle in the future, adding that the model would be a very important one for the brand and that it would be priced just over $20,000.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/toyota-subaru-ft-86-could-also-become-a-scion-- - - - - - - 23313.html

And here's more from Mr.Hollis of Scion, quoting from another website, AutoGuide.

VP Jack Hollis has commented that a rear-drive model is a definitely possibility for the youth-oriented brand. In an interview with InsideLine, Hollis commented that a rear-drive car, “could absolutely work.” And if Scion were to go ahead with such a project then Hollis suggests an entry-level price at just over $20,000 – making the right-wheel drive model a new flagship for the brand. At that price point Hollis believes such a model would fit with the brand and would be accepted in the market.

Hollis even went so far as to draw the link between the Scion brand’s increased presence in motorsports (from drifting, to time attack, to the World Challenge Series), stating that, “there’s no question that a rear-drive car would be great for Scion.”

“The marketplace still demands fun, high-performance vehicles. Scion has positioned itself perfectly in that world with tuners and accessorization, and it would be great to top that off with a rear-wheel-drive application. Whether we can pull it off or not remains to be seen, but it won’t be for lack of trying.”

And that’s where the problem lies. Scion has just introduced its second-generation tC model, which company engineers admitted to AutoGuide was delayed in coming to market by six to 12 months due to the slow moving Toyota corporate structure.

However, Toyota does already have a platform in the works that would be suitable – the FT-86/FR-S. Development of that vehicle continues and as IL reports, one Toyota representative did commented that, “We’ve never said the FT-86 would be sold as a Toyota in the U.S.”

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/tag/scion-fr-s

Knowing what I know now, that this car will be a Scion, probably named the FR-S, RWD, light for drifting, and knowing that the Scion VP wants an entry level price of just over $20,000, this project is once again going full speed for iluv. Let the data gathering and full-on enthusiasm continue on down the road as this beautiful new Scion gets built. ;)

• Options
    Here is the big question? Will Scion still exist in 2013 when the FT-86 makes it to the showrooms? Look at these sales figures. Not enough sales to justify the light bill at a dealership.

9/10 9/09 2010 2009
    SCION xB 1,687 1,539 9.6 15,803 20,531 -22.7
    SCION tC 981 1,232 -20.4 9,829 15,028 -34.3
    SCION xD 894 912 -2.0 7,602 11,686 -34.7
  • Options
  • Options
    Subaru is reengineering the Impreza platform slightly for the new coupe; as you may already know, their AWD in the Impreza is already a 50/50 front-to-rear split all the time (in manual-shift cars including the WRX), so this isn't any great detour from where they already were in drive configuration.

And of course, although no-one will admit it out loud, I am sure Subaru is preparing an AWD version of this car to wear the Subaru badge. I suppose the Toyota version will probably be RWD-only.

As for Toyota, as you know they already run 2 basic RWD platforms for their Lexus cars, so they certainly have the expertise to oversee such a project. I think it's interesting that Toyota is going to release cars under their own brand name that have boxer engines in them - it's kinda cool, but at the same time it dilutes Subaru's special-ness.

• Options
    Scion is now consistently in the "Five Biggest Losers" column month after month, and one does have to wonder how long Toyota will keep the experiment going. They are still planning the iQ launch early next year, under the Scion brand name I believe.

And that Scion VP of whatever can talk out of his ear until he is blue in the face, but the final word on Celica/FRS pricing will come once the exchange rate and state of the American economy are known at launch time.

Would they really keep two sport coupes in the Scion lineup, priced so close together, one FWD and one RWD? Why would they do that? This will be the first model built on a brand new platform, one would think they would make it a Toyota if only to pump it up with gazillions of expensive options packages. Gotta pay for the development costs.

• Options
    I am sure when they see how poorly the new tC sells they will try to replace with the 86 model. Pricing is still going to be more than a well equipped tC which can top $25k without much trouble. So a base price of $25k would be feasible. Then you start adding on alloy wheels, windshield wipers, stereo, bluetooth, decent brakes etc etc and you are over $30k