Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    There is question mark on the end of the current title. We're not even finished with January after all, too soon to predict doom and gloom for the entire year.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,171
    >Maybe you can celebrate with a night on the town in that thriving metropolis of Dayton.

Host? That sounds uncalled for. Is that sour grapes? Or bitter lemons?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some of my best friends are from around Dayton.

I suppose we could simply do it the internet way and add a half dozen more question marks to the title, and throw in a few exclamation points up there too.
  • Options
    sojacsojac Member Posts: 1
    Have not heard anything about the Venza, it's not on the list of recalls unless I missed something. I guess it's "safe" to drive? I don't own one but the owner of my wifes company just purchased one.
  • Options
    Title idea:

Will Toyota still hate newsmen at the end of 20 10?

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,706
    "Toyota Taking it in the End, for 2010?"
    :surprise:
  • Options
    WLW radio 700 Cincinnati has talking about this part of Toyoto's problem since noon. Next topic is the class action suit being filed. It's streamed on their website 700wlw.com and on XM.

• Options
    >Nothing to see here, move along.

We haven't heard that from our Toyota salesman friend for a couple of days.

• Options
    You're on a roll; can't tell me you're not happy, even gleeful, about this.

But Toyota will find a way out; Ford did after the Explorer/Firestone problem last decade.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Ford redesigned the Explorer and didn't include Firestone. I imagine Toyota's solution to be a bit more complex as it includes a bit more models. I don't doubt for a minute that Toyota will recover from all of this, just curious to see how much it will cost them.

I'm surprised that Toyoda hasn't required the head of Toyota USA to commit seppuku.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Actually, the sales stoppage shows without a doubt that Toyota IS ON THE MEND because now, instead of denying responsibility, or blaming the owners and/or the floormats, they are ADMITTING that they might have a Toyota-caused issue.

That's the first step to healing - ending the denials !!!
  • Options
    smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Ford recovered from the Firestone/Explorer manslaughters. I suspect that Toyota will recover from these manslaughtering engineering problems, too. But they will be paying big time and sales will tumble while they eat humble pie.
  • Options
    a8fana8fan Member Posts: 17
    YOu know I owned an Audi 5000 but it was standard transmission... and now I have a 1999 Quattro...

It WAS my fault. The gas pedal is stiff and I mistook it for the brake, because I had different shoes on, and so I tromped on it and hit the person in front of me.

I've never had trouble with it since.

I now have a Tundra 2008 and I'm going to keep my eye out for this although they said it is VERY RARE... and hasn't happened all that much.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,684
    philly car show starts this weekend. Wonder if they are going to have all these models still on the toyota stand? SHould be interesting!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    This sales stoppage would certainly make for some interesting Toyotathon commercials:

"Your Toyota dealer is glad to announce the Toyotathon Static Display Event! The Toyotathon Static Display Event provides an extended period for Toyota vehicle lovers to look at, but don't touch, their favorite from among select new 2010 Toyota models that we're not allowed to sell at any price! Go home and talk it over with your wife! You've got a lot of time to think about making a new Toyota vehicle yours as soon as we work the bugs out of it."
  • Options
    >The Toyotathon Static Display Event provides an extended period for Toyota vehicle lovers to look at, but don't touch, their favorite from among select new 2010 Toyota models that we're not allowed to sell at any price!

Will it be safe to drive vehicles to and from the exhibition locations? Will it be safe to drive them inside the hall to get them onto the display? Will they have to truck them there and use towmotors to move them around inside the hall?

Maybe they could just put large pictures of the vehicles up for display? And they could have salesmen around telling potential buyers it was just the floor mats the customer put in or it was the customer's mistake not changing the oil enough.

This has got to be a come down for a lot of Toyota salesmen whom I found to be extremely arrogant when visiting the showrooms.

• Options
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction to the recall with reporters, send an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karen@edmunds.com
  • Options
    pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    Everything in life has a way of balancing itself...

when growth or other aspirations result in a lack of complete attention to all the details this too will find its own level and balance itself. it is a shame that people were injured from these alleged malfunctions.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Got a specific request for a Toyota owner in Minnesota. If you're in that state, give me a holler!

karen@edmunds.com
  • Options
    "Mr. Toyoda, who set out last year as Toyota president to overhaul the way the company designs, manufactures and sells cars, had been worried for some time that a backlash such as the one it is now facing with the quality-related debacle would hit Toyota sooner or later, according to a longtime associate of the executive."

Toyota's President Worried About Company Reputation on Quality (Wall St. Journal)
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Looking for advice on how to handle a RAV4 purchase I made 2 weeks ago.

All the affected models have been recalled for repair, which will be free to you if you visit your dealer.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    All the affected models have been recalled for repair, which will be free to you if you visit your dealer.

While this is true, Toyota will stop manufacturing until a permanent fix is available. Question is the temporary fix good enough? If so, why stop manufacturing?
  • Options
    You guys are cracking me up, bring more of it! :-)

I too noticed kdh's sudden and very conspicuous departure from the board - I suspect he is up to his chin in doo-doo at the dealership as they try and figure out how they are going to stay afloat selling only half the usual models (and the less popular half at that!).

And I would echo what many here have said regarding the Firestone/Explorer mess - people eventually forgot and the impact to Ford was short-lived. There's just something about these really large automakers that they have a momentum that is hard to kill once they get big enough, almost regardless of what happens.

Even after a notorious bankruptcy and supposed widespread dissatisfaction with the large bailout, GM is still selling more vehicles in the U.S. than anyone else....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Well if they already know the fix (using Denso parts instead of CTS) then production will only be halted long enough for them to get a sufficient quantity of the Denso parts in the pipeline. But given the huge numbers of Camrys etc that they produce every year, they will need a LOT of them, and they are coming from Japan, so that won't happen overnight.

• Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I don't think that sales will be hurt that much really. All the dealers have to do is weed out the ones with American made CTS accelerator pedals (look at the VIN) while continuing to sell the japanese made ones. I'm sure there will be a good selection from both plants for the Camry, RAV4, Highlander, etc. Meanwhile, they wait for a shipment of replacement japanese made pedals and fix the rest of them (which I bet you could get a bit of wiggle room in negotiating :blush: )

I predict the end of the 2009 model year, there will be quite a few more "leftovers" than usual :P

Supposedly the Lexus RX which is built in Canada uses Denso pedals exclusively, not the American made ones. :shades:
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    its an accelerator pedal getting stuck that has caused some accidents, shouldn't the driver be aware enough to know that he has to unstick it to stop a potential disaster? I believe the driver has a higher level of responsibility to handle situations properly when mechanical failures or "defects" happen. For instance, how does a stuck accelerator stop you from turning the car off? I hold driver's to a higher standard, if you don't meet the standard, don't get on the road and drive.

The CAUSE is still driver ineptness.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I don't think there will be very many Japanese-built Camrys, the single-most important model (for Toyota and the dealers), on the lots. Japanese Camrys are strictly the overflow, and with sales down I will bet that North America has sufficed for at least the last 12 months....

• Options
    LOL, maybe they'll just upgrade those folks who can't buy a japanese Camry to Avalons instead! :P
  • Options
    from: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/report-toyota-was-legally-required-to-stop-se- lling-recalled-mod/

"On a related note, Toyota dealers are also reportedly getting instructions from the Mother Ship on how to answer questions related to the recall. AN editor James B. Treece reports that when asked if any accidents have been reported, dealers are encouraged to respond, "The number of accidents is still under investigation" without further confirmation. As Treece notes, the spin continues, as just a simple yes or no would suffice."

• Options
    I too noticed kdh's sudden and very conspicuous departure from the board

He's around, but I bet he is rather busy.

kdhspyder, "Afraid Camry Owner - Toyota found to keep tight lid on potential safety" #235, 27 Jan 2010 2:11 am

And here comes GM:

GM Offering Incentives To Toyota Owners To Switch Vehicles (CNN Money)

Good post by Cooterbfd over in GM News about the spin:

cooterbfd, "GM News, New Models and Market Share" #9467, 27 Jan 2010 1:12 pm
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    LOL....

The statement from Toyota says everything that can be said at the moment. What can and is being done locally is selling the vehicles that are made in Japan, including several of the ones in the N American recall.

Corollas, Camrys, etc and all 'J' vehicles are being sold as usual.

Silver lining edition ( a prerequisite for any sales person in any industry ): More Prius' should be in demand for those looking to buy a Toyota. We have 75% of this market here in hybrid sales. Used vehicles not involved in the recall are being sold daily as usual. Life moves on, we deal with it.
  • Options
    donme73donme73 Member Posts: 4
    WOW! Toyota makes truck frames that rust out then fall apart, truck frames on Tundra's that twist causing creasing of fenders & tail gates & now accelerators that stick causing driver deaths & you want to put more responsibility on the driver! You sound like you work for Toyota! It's about time that Toyota took some responsibility for manufacturing a safe vehicle! First they blame it on the floor mats! Just maybe the pedal was too long! They jave much bigger problems than that now! If this was American vehicle you would be demanding full replacement! Why do you buy this junk in the first place!
  • Options
    siramssirams Member Posts: 5
    I signed all the paperwork on Friday to buy a new 2010 camry. Delivery was supposed to be today but got the call that they could not give it to me.

What would you do? Am I obligated to still buy? Do you think I could negotiate some money from this?

Thoughts...
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,386
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    rhallangerrhallanger Member Posts: 7
    here is my question and statement... First I admit I bleed Ford blue, and finally it is proven NO company is God's gift to Man... ... Now my question.. Are they really sure this is the problem, or is it more serious and they really don't know... seems very drastic to shut down production.. is it a computer problem? the new thing is "drive by wire" systems, so could that be the real problem?
  • Options
    Seems to me if you haven't taken delivery and you believe the car is dangerous, then I'd just ask to unwind the deal and buy a different car like a Honda Accord.
  • Options
    Seems to me the problem has been pinpointed. I think the fact that floormats interfering with the accelerator pedal obscured the problem with the "stiction" in the accelerator pedal in some of the same models. Once owners were told to remove floormats back in November, and complaints still were coming in about unexpected acceleration, Toyota was able to confirm the second problem.

Regarding this second stiction problem, I am not aware of any confirmed deaths or injuries from this. Everyone points to the Dec 26 crash where an Avalon went into a lake and drowned 4 people. The floormats were found the trunk, but where is the evidence that the crash was caused by a sticky accelerator pedal? I don't even know if one could tell once the car was submerged in water.
  • Options
    link title

According to both companies, the problem is gas pedals that become too hard to press down, or fail to pop back up quickly enough – and that potentially could get “stuck in a partially depressed condition.”

CTS, which has also produced components for Ford and GM, won an award from Toyota in 2005 for delivering 100 per cent of its parts on time with zero defects. It received another award a year later for exceeding quality expectations.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I signed all the paperwork on Friday to buy a new 2010 camry. Delivery was supposed to be today but got the call that they could not give it to me.

What would you do? Am I obligated to still buy? Do you think I could negotiate some money from this?

First, talk to the dealer. I doubt you'll get money, but they may be willing to rescind the deal and return any deposit. If not, you may need to talk to a lawyer since contract laws can differ in states. If the contract you signed specifically states in it that you were supposed to pick it up today, I think the inability to deliver probably negates its validity. If not you are dealing with a grey area of whether the dealer's inablity to give a specific date nullifies contract validity which may be impacted by the contract language. Good luck!
  • Options
    Interesting story with lots of good points. I think everyone, pro- or anti-Toyota, can agree with this:

It also underlines the fragility of the automotive supply system, in which problems in delivery or quality at a single supplier can cause production at an auto maker to come to a screeching halt.

Certainly not like the old days, when manufacturers made just about everything in-house. Those days are long gone, for better or worse.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Plus the commonality of parts and global sales increases the imact when something does go wrong.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,386
    i guess we have something in common.
    at this point, at the core, this is a software issue.
    the mat and pedal issues only make it more likely to be experienced.
    it is still a rare occurrence.
    overall, this is a case of buying time so the engineers can figure out a real solution (imo).
    'ghosts in the machine' can be a tough nut to crack.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    dookie84dookie84 Member Posts: 33
    I think that the Camry's pedals are too close together - compared to my 92 Camry - and the accelerator is a bit close to the right side.
  • Options
    >I am not aware of any confirmed deaths or injuries from this.

ABC News stated 20 deaths on the newscast at 6:30 this evening.

• Options
    For the sticky pedal alone or is this combined with the floormat issue?
  • Options
    tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194

If you don't want the car any more I would try to get out of the deal.

However, it's a shame that for any little thing in this country, people think they can "get money". I don't see how you've been wronged in any way that deserves damages. That sounds greedy to me.
  • Options
    "The 68-year-old driver told police she was trying to park her 2007 Toyota Camry when the car suddenly accelerated, causing it to careen through the front of the building and into several washing machines."
    Driver: Toyota 'Accelerated' Into Pa. Laundromat (CBS 3)

Note that "certain" 2007 Camrys are on the recall list. (AutoObserver)
  • Options
    boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota-sales27-2010jan27,0,1635017.story

You know one has to wonder what would have happened if this would have been any other company. Many people have been complaining for some time that the perception of Toyota quality hasn’t completely translated to reality in the last few years. I would have expected to see the alarm coming from these forums months ago but brand loyalty sometimes makes it hard to see.
    We are used to hearing about recalls on domestic vehicles and we have heard that the quality control at the Japanese companies is far too great for anything like the domestic recalls to take place.
    Articles like the one in the LA times and other papers show that it is harder to be number one than anyone thought. To stop production on 8 models and not have any idea when they will restart is history making to say the least.
    I retired last year and have been traveling a lot in the last few months. I am surprised to see not much has changed since I was gone.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Published: 1/28/10, 12:25 AM EDT
    By DAN STRUMPF

NEW YORK (AP) - Toyota dealers across the country were swamped with calls Wednesday from concerned drivers but had few answers a day after the company announced it would stop selling and building eight models because of faulty gas pedals.

Toyota insisted the problem - sudden, uncontrolled acceleration - was "rare and infrequent" and said dealers should deal with customers "on a case-by-case basis." But drivers of Toyotas and those who share the road with them were left with uncertainty.

In an unprecedented move, the company said late Tuesday it would halt sales for the eight models - which make up more than half of Toyota's U.S. sales volume - to fix the gas pedals. Last week, Toyota issued a recall for the same eight models, affecting 2.3 million vehicles.

A private firm said it had identified 275 crashes and 18 deaths because of sudden, uncontrollable acceleration in Toyotas since 1999.

In North Palm Beach, Fla., Clare Roden showed up at a Toyota dealership worried about the 2010 Camry she purchased recently. She was relieved when she was told her accelerator was not a problem part.

"I didn't want to get out on I-95 because people are not very safe drivers there anyway," Roden said as she waited in the lobby while mechanics checked her car. "I wanted to get it down here as soon as possible."

The dealership owner, Earl Stewart, said about half his cars are affected by the recall, a huge hit to business. He said customers had been flocking in with concerns about the accelerator on all of the models. He sent some home with loaners.

"They're very frightened," he said. "Many people are concerned their accelerator pedal is going to stick and they're going to be involved in an accident."

At Walser Toyota in Bloomington, Minn., owner Doug Sprinthall took calls all day Wednesday from people wanting to know if cars they once thought were dependable were affected by the freeze. He didn't have much to tell them.

"It's hurry up and wait," he said. "We've got a lot of faith in Toyota. They're a good company. These things are not unheard of. ... What's different about this is it's just so many vehicles."

Toyota has said the problem appears to be related to the buildup of condensation on sliding surfaces in the accelerator system that help drivers push down or release the gas pedal. The gas pedal mechanism can wear down, causing the accelerator to become harder to press, slower to spring back or stuck.

Outside safety experts say it could also have to do with the complicated electronic sensors that relay the message from the gas pedal to the engine, the design and location of the sensor system and a lack of an override mechanism.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told WGN Radio in Chicago the government had urged Toyota to stop making the cars while it investigated the problem.

The sales and production halt involves some of Toyota's best-known lines, including the Camry and Corolla sedans and the RAV4 crossover, a blend of an SUV and a car. RAV4's sales surged last month.

In addition, the problem could spread to Europe, where a similar accelerator part is being used, said Toyota spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi. She declined to give the number of cars affected. The company was studying possible responses there, including a recall.

Toyota had little to say about how common the problem is.

"It's rare," Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said. "I'd like to say even more than that but right now I'm held to rare, rare and infrequent."

Asked whether the problem was worse for older cars, he said: "There's so many factors involved. That's why we're a little careful with our words here. We are finding it in some lower mileage vehicles depending on the environmental conditions."

Compounding Toyota's problems, the carmaker said late Wednesday it will recall an additional 1.09 million vehicles in the United States due to the risk of floor mats interfering with accelerator pedals. Toyota has already recalled 4.26 million vehicles in the U.S. over the floor mat problems.

Sean Kane, director of Safety Research and Strategies, a consumer group that conducts research into motor vehicle safety issues, said his firm has identified 2,274 incidents of sudden unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles leading to at least 275 crashes and 18 deaths since 1999.

The firm cites as sources the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration, direct reports from drivers and incidents mentioned in lawsuits. Toyota would not confirm the numbers.

The supplier of the gas pedals used in the recalled car and trucks, CTS Corp. of Elkhart, Ind., said it knew of only a few cases of drivers having problems with accelerators. It said it's working with Toyota to design a new pedal.

Safety experts said drivers should watch for warning signs, such as when the act of pressing the gas pedal starts to feel rougher or when the pedal does not fully return to its regular position.

"If you don't have that problem, I would probably say it's probably fine to keep driving your Toyota because this really only happens in rare instances," said Rik Paul, automotive editor at Consumer Reports. "If you do experience any roughness in the accelerator pedal, don't drive it any more and take it to your dealership."

Consumer Reports testers found the best thing to do is to hit the brake hard and hold it firmly, then shift into neutral and steer the car off the road. Drivers should not pump the brake, Paul said.

The fallout for Toyota was nearly immediate. The companies that own the Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise and National rental car chains said they were removing all their cars that fell under the recall. Hertz also said it would temporarily stop renting vehicles involved in the recall.

For the company that runs Avis and Budget, that amounts to 20,000 cars. It stressed that Toyotas made up only a small percentage of its fleet.

Competitors were already rushing to take advantage of Toyota's misfortune. General Motors said it planned to offer Toyota drivers deals on its Chevrolet, GMC, Buick and Cadillac cars and trucks. And Toyota will almost certainly face lawsuits.

The recall and sales are another blow to battered automakers, and a bruise for the image of Toyota, which spent decades building its image as a maker of safe, reliable cars and cultivated a fiercely loyal customer base made up largely of baby boomers.

For years, Toyota has dominated big-name quality studies by groups like Consumer Reports and J.D. Power and Associates, and other automakers sought to emulate the company's production methods.

Now some Toyota drivers are worried about repeats of what happened last month to Michael Teston, a physical therapist from Maunelle, Ark. He was driving a 2006 Toyota 4-Runner - a brand not included in the recall - and pulling into a gas station when the car suddenly lunged forward.

"Fortunately, there was a