2012 Impreza Overcharged Battery - Explosion Risk?

jbravo777jbravo777 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in Subaru
Hi Everyone,

I made the stupid mistake of leaving my (somewhat discharged) battery to charge for 3 hours at 15Amps. The charger showed 99% capacity, and I could hear a "boiling" sound coming from the battery.

I understand that the battery may be lost, but I am more worried about safety now. Is there still risk of explosion if I disconnected the charger? Is it safe to try and start the car, or will that cause the vapors inside the battery to explode?

I am really concerned, any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
JB

Comments

  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonMember Posts: 20,350
    You should be OK unless you fried the battery.

    Batteries can explode violently if a spark get near one that is being charged or is making that "boiling"
    sound o let it sit for awhile and make sure you don't make a spark around it.

    If seen and heard this happen and it isn't pretty!
  • jbravo777jbravo777 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the very prompt and helpful answer!
  • jimguyjimguy Member Posts: 1
    HELLO EVERYONE....A VENTED BATTERY WITH CAPS....AS IT CHARGES...THE CHEMICAL REACTION PRODUCES VERY HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE & DANGEROUS BREATHING GAS ...HYDROGEN SULFIDE ....MANY NEW BATTERIES ARE " SEALED" WHILE THEY PRODUCE THE SAME GAS...IT IS NOT VENTED...ALWAYS SHUT YOUR CHARGER OFF...BEFORE DISCONNECTING ANY CHARGING CABLES...ANY TYPE BATTERY ...
Sign In or Register to comment.