Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Pickup Comparo

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...and it's the H2 that is derived from the Tahoe frame.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    "I found the site, and I found the full size Chevy's, but can't find Colorado. The site is new to me, I couldn't find an esy way to look other than go page by page... I'll keep trying to figure it out. Thanks for the tip....

If you still haven't found the particular article on the V8 Colorado, just go back to it and in the top right hand corner search type-Colorado V8, and it will bring a couple things up.
  • donn2390donn2390 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for helping a computer dummy find the information on the '08 with a V-8. Good articles....
    I hope the V-8 comes to pass. I have been Colorado shopping since '06, but have delayed the purchase waiting until I could pay cash. A home remodel has slowed my progress, and I'm glad now that it did.
    The problems with the 04, 05, and 06 heads make me very happy that I waited until that problem was fixed, now hearing about the V-8 makes me especially happy to have waited.
    The mileage should be at least as good as the I-5. It will be interesting to see what the tariff will be for the
    V-8..!
    I don't really need the extra HP, but what the heck, it will be my last vehicle.. Looks like a Christmas present for the old man..!! ;)
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    If you must go with a chevy (gm card points etc) or need a V8. Please consider the Silverado Full size (Truck of the year) where gm put the effort. The Colorado is about last in its class in the mid size behind the Tacoma, Frontier and disregarding true 4wd, the Ridgeline. A quick inspection and test drive of them will make this obvious. With deals of about $4000-6000 off MSRP for them it makes them a no brainer at $23000-25000.

The Full Size Chevy Silverado Crew has a turning circle only about 2' wider than the Colorado, is much higher in quality, takes on all competitiors in its class, Powerful V8, and is becoming available at $7000-9000 off MSRP as the summer progresses (as it did last year). At 25000 or so for a 33000 truck, it would be hard to fork out about the same for the Colorado, unless you have a lot of GM points and you really really really need a mid size. Test drive em and find out.

Since you're Santa put something shiny in the stocking instead of a lump of coal.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Thanks for helping a computer dummy find the information on the '08 with a V-8. Good articles....
    I hope the V-8 comes to pass. I have been Colorado shopping since '06, but have delayed the purchase waiting until I could pay cash. A home remodel has slowed my progress, and I'm glad now that it did.
    The problems with the 04, 05, and 06 heads make me very happy that I waited until that problem was fixed, now hearing about the V-8 makes me especially happy to have waited.
    The mileage should be at least as good as the I-5. It will be interesting to see what the tariff will be for the
    V-8..!
    I don't really need the extra HP, but what the heck, it will be my last vehicle.. Looks like a Christmas present for the old man..!!
    "If you must go with a chevy (gm card points etc) or need a V8. Please consider the Silverado Full size (Truck of the year) where gm put the effort. The Colorado is about last in its class in the mid size behind the Tacoma, Frontier and disregarding true 4wd, the Ridgeline. A quick inspection and test drive of them will make this obvious. With deals of about $4000-6000 off MSRP for them it makes them a no brainer at $23000-25000."

The Silverado may be the best, but like the other full- sized trucks they are too much $$$, and the truck is way too big for regular driving. I have owned both compact and full size trucks and the compact (well now they are mid-size) is more of my size. It you could get the $4-6,000 off the MSRP on a full-size truck, than you should also be able to make a deal for a Colorado/Canyon. Other than the head problems of the past Colorado models, the rest of the truck is quite nice. I found nothing wrong with the interior and have driven a couple. The front end is the only part I don't car for in the truck. Hopefully my nephew doesn't have any issues with his 2005 Canyon that he bought new late last year.
    This is just out of curiosity but have you actually gone to a dealer, and test driven a 06-07 Frontier Crew ,Tacoma or Ridgeline and compared them (build, handling and interior)and what you get?

You can get 6000-8000 off the MSRP on a full size truck. $12000-14000 off the Dodge RAM 1500. (This puts a lot of full size truck in your hands for $22000 )

I would consider Colorado starting about $8000 off its (already high) MSRP due to its exterior styling and where it starts to become competitive with the others. A fellow at work got his for $9000 off an 06 end of December

Funny the only thing that attracted me initially to the Colorado was the front end and sheet metal in general. Go figure. It does look nice on the road.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf

The Silverado may be the best, but like the other full- sized trucks they are too much $$$, and the truck is way too big for regular driving. I have owned both compact and full size trucks and the compact (well now they are mid-size) is more of my size. It you could get the $4-6,000 off the MSRP on a full-size truck, than you should also be able to make a deal for a Colorado/Canyon. Other than the head problems of the past Colorado models, the rest of the truck is quite nice. I found nothing wrong with the interior and have driven a couple. The front end is the only part I don't car for in the truck. Hopefully my nephew doesn't have any issues with his 2005 Canyon that he bought new late last year.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    My 07 Nissan Frontier is more than big enough for this Puppy, particularly since it is driven mostly on city streets. Size-wise, I can barely fit it into my garage and then shut the door. And it's a short wheel base. Good truck so far, fun to drive, handles well, gets decent mileage if one goes easy.
    Just for info, what model is it and price paid?

--jjf

My 07 Nissan Frontier is more than big enough for this Puppy, particularly since it is driven mostly on city streets. Size-wise, I can barely fit it into my garage and then shut the door. And it's a short wheel base. Good truck so far, fun to drive, handles well, gets decent mileage if one goes easy
    It is a Nismo 4x4 Crew Cab. I paid $36500 CDN. pre tax.
    "I would consider Colorado starting about $8000 off its (already high) MSRP due to its exterior styling and where it starts to become competitive with the others. A fellow at work got his for $9000 off an 06 end of December."

$9,000 off with rebates, GM card, and other dealer discounts maybe. They are not going to lose money selling a truck to your friend even though pickups are known to be the most over-priced.

The only thing that doesn't make the Colorado/Canyon competitive is the lack of towing and hauling. The truck obviously is underpowered compared to the competition but that will supposedly change. The previous S10 was a work horse in comparison that could out-haul and tow much more than the Colorado.

As far as looks other than the contraversal front end styling of the Colorado, from the door back it is a clean design unlike the Japanese models. The Nissan in my opinion is still the ugliest truck on the market. I used to sell Nissan hard bodies (what they used to call them) and preferred them over the Toyota because I sold them. When I talk of clean styling I am saying that clean to a custom truck builder means no ridges, big wheel wells, or general odd shapes. Smooth lines are best for customizing and the Nissan is far from it. I don't mean to attack your preference in a truck, but Nissan trucks are on the uggo side. What is with Nissan with that silly tailgate latch. Both trucks have this huge tailgate latch area, for what? It is best styling wise to keep things to a minimum including the tailgate latch. Most custom truck owners remove or reverse the tailgate latch any ways, but the Nissan would need a custom tailgate to fix that.

Have I driven one, no I haven't. No reason to. I have seen them and that is good enough. The Colorado is light duty and that is why it is praised for ride and handling. All these trucks and most cars are pretty much the same nowadays except for engines and some other minor differences. Even if the Colorado hasn't won any shoot-outs, that doesn't mean its a bad truck. Mostly from what I have read it comes up short on power, but who really needs more than that in these supper light duty trucks. Most only drive them on the road any ways with nothing in the back. Give me a four cylinder and leave it at that. Chevrolet in general have alot going for them with their reputation for longevity. My 1992 S10 will attest to that. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone had the same truck? To each his own. Happy trucking.
    You're not too opinionated are ya'?
    I happen to see the new gen Frontier as a good looking truck. And yes, I do own one. I also realize it is very subjective, all that looks "good" or "ugly". Now that I've owned it for a while, this little Titan just gets better lookin' because it's such a performer. It does everything I ask it to and beyond. Of all the trucks I've driven, going back 35 years, this is the Champ. That said, I seriously looked at the Taco, it was a fairly close second choice, but I see the Taco as a relatively unadorned over-priced truck. Liked it, just not enough. I had hopes for the GM twins, but was dissapointed with their I-5. Nice looking to my eye, could use a little refinement. I wish G.M. good luck.
    I bought what suited me the most, I'm happy with that, I hope everyone else does just that.
    Cheers!
    The Colorado definitely has a styling thing going on. There was a major advancement in the midsize segment in quality and refinement in 05, with the Toyota, Frontier and to a certain extent the Ridgeline proceeding to a new level with the GM offering being a S-10+.

Fit, finish and build is just not there, more competitive with most offerings before 2005, but they missed the next cycle by beating the others to market by a year. The towing, I-5 etc is a further negative.

One thing is for sure, if GM has its manufacturing together and is getting 23-25000 for its 4wd crew offering like the others they are making a fortune. Ugly is too subjective, especially with trucks but GM has always had the sheet metal advantage, there are many truck buyers who won't consider an import, and with its 9 mo head start at the intro, has a lot more of these on the road than the other newer designs combined.

If I could get $9000 off instead of 4000-6000 off like the others later this year I would buy one.

--jjf

You're not too opinionated are ya'?
    I happen to see the new gen Frontier as a good looking truck. And yes, I do own one. I also realize it is very subjective, all that looks "good" or "ugly". Now that I've owned it for a while, this little Titan just gets better lookin' because it's such a performer. It does everything I ask it to and beyond. Of all the trucks I've driven, going back 35 years, this is the Champ. That said, I seriously looked at the Taco, it was a fairly close second choice, but I see the Taco as a relatively unadorned over-priced truck. Liked it, just not enough. I had hopes for the GM twins, but was dissapointed with their I-5. Nice looking to my eye, could use a little refinement. I wish G.M. good luck.
    I bought what suited me the most, I'm happy with that, I hope everyone else does just that.
    Cheers!
  • got1bgot1b Member Posts: 48
    Not sure which way to go, I like aspects of both, Ridgeline RTX Price, driving and interior vs. ST's exterior styling, bed, frame, and 4X4 low. According to consumer reviews, its seems ST owners are happier, yet most auto reviews gush over the Ridgeline and are lukewarm over the new ST. Has anyone compared the two? Which did yo buy?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It would seem the Ridgeline is the non-trucker's truck. Handling like a car (which is why most auto reviews gush - it handles and rides similarly to an Accord), a lockable in-bed trunk, and a roomy interior. It will be the more refined vehicle than the SportTrac (especially the coarse-sounding 4.0L V6 in the SportTrac). If you need more "truck" and less "car" though, a ST may be just the ticket.
    If true 4wd performance isn't that important, the Ridgeline is hard to beat for $23000 (RTX). Its a great vehicle for what most would do with a mid size truck.

If you really need 4wd, the Tacoma, Frontier, or a Full Size may be the way to go, as I'm not sure how the 4wd is compared to the others on the Sportrac.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Not sure which way to go, I like aspects of both, Ridgeline RTX Price, driving and interior vs. ST's exterior styling, bed, frame, and 4X4 low. According to consumer reviews, its seems ST owners are happier, yet most auto reviews gush over the Ridgeline and are lukewarm over the new ST. Has anyone compared the two? Which did yo buy?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    "If you need more "truck" and less "car" though, a ST may be just the ticket."

Yet, if you need to haul some plywood, the Ridgeline is the better choice, as it will accept 4' wide paneling flat on the floor between the rear wheel wells. Not so for the SportTrac.

Also, I believe the Ridgeline's 1,550 or so pounds payload is a higher than that of the SportTrac.

The only major issues I have with the Ridgeline is that there is no low range in the 4x4, and that it (and the Sport Trac too) has a temp spare tire.

Here's an Edmunds comparo of the base models of both these two:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison?op=0&tab=pricing&isbasecar=false&modelid=&styleid=&refid=&maxvehicles=5&vehicleindex=&removestyle=&numCars=2&just=center&disclaimer=false&modelId0=100516825&styleId0=100756780&modelId1=100505388&styleId1=100693726

Bob
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Mazda B4000

I nearly forgot the B4000 even existed.
    Very dated considering the current competition.
    Yep. Include the Ranger in that too.

At least they've updated the engine power (if little else).

Too bad even that isn't competitive anymore, in this land of 240+ horsepower V6 midsizers.
    Auto rumor has it that Chrysler will drop 5 models in the next year possibly including the Dakota p/u. Though I wouldn't buy one, I think overall the Dakota offers the most options for the money. You can get 4-6 and 8 cylinder offerings. I am still not too crazy about the grills on the Dodge trucks, and the newly styled Dakota front end isn't still to big. The Dakota & Ram p/u's are pretty close in size so they is probably the main reason for it's probably dismissal. Ford's Ranger is also supposed to be history.

I wonder if anyone other than some foreign import from India or elsewhere will have a compact truck again.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    The Dakota pickup is not going anywhere in the near future. Chrysler just did a redesign for 2008 and a big horsepower jump for the available 4.7 V8 engine. What is Ford doing with the Ranger though? They have been running redesigns on that truck for 24 years now! Time for an all new Ranger.
    To me the Ranger is kind of a special case being the only "compact" truck left.

One has to look at how many more sales would be gained by putting millions into a new Ranger. It becomes a matter of investment and output.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    I agree!

The ranger is in a nitch all it's own. I don't personally own one, but believe the small size still has great appeal to people that want a pickup with a lot less size than the F150, Ram, and Silverado. The smaller size offers more room in the garage, better fuel economy, tighter turning, and lower initial cost than it's bigger brothers.

Kip
    "The Dakota pickup is not going anywhere in the near future. Chrysler just did a redesign for 2008 and a big horsepower jump for the available 4.7 V8 engine. What is Ford doing with the Ranger though? They have been running redesigns on that truck for 24 years now! Time for an all new Ranger."

Yes, as I mentioned the Dakota was restyled with still an over-sized grill, in my opinion, for 2008. At the same time it is rumored to be one of the vehicles dumped by Chrysler in the next couple years according to autob--g. Chrysler simply doesn't sell that many of them and as I mentioned they are too big now.

The Ford will definately be gone soon according to many sources, but the question is will they eventually bring back a replacement? It is only wishful thinking that they will have a replacement at this point.

Automakers need to bring back compact trucks again because they are too big now, and the buyers generally only use them for commuters anyways. A Chevy Luv, Ford Courier, Dodge D50, or old Datsun p/u would be perfect sized for the majority of buyers.
    "... Automakers need to bring back compact trucks again because they are too big now, and the buyers generally only use them for commuters anyways. A Chevy Luv, Ford Courier, Dodge D50, or old Datsun p/u would be perfect sized for the majority of buyers."

Exactly!

I don't own and never have owned a Ranger or any other model of Ford Pickup. However, the Ranger is still fairly close to the size of the original "MINI" pickups. Therefore in a pretty good position. What it needs is High MPG engines. Possibly small diesels.

I had a "Datsun" stick shift and the mileage wasn't a lot better than the Chevy Cheyenne 350 Auto that was traded for it. A couple of trades later netted a Dodge D50. Seems it had a 2.6 I4 engine. With the AT it got 18+/- mpg on the road and 14+/- mpg commuting. The last 2 small trucks with carburetors were an old Toyota I4 MT and Mitsubishi Montero. Both 4WD MT and both averaged 14-15 commuting.
    Last Pickup was a 98 Ram Sport AT, 5.9 V8. Commuting 13-15 Mpg. Highway 17-18 mpg.

Point is that the old "small" Pickups didn't get any better mileage for me than the larger.

Today, the mfg have the opportunity to build a small pickup from composites and other light weight materials that could weigh in at 1500-2000 pounds less than their full size big brothers. Install a variable valve, small engine that will shut off half the cylinders when not needed. Maybe with an efficient turbo to kick in, when power is needed.

Right now we, the American public, have gotten use to the idea of $2.75 - $3 gas. The mfg are constantly raising the Horse power but not doing much for mileage. When, and I believe it will, gas goes to $4 or $5 a gallon, we will be crying the blues again. Maybe Dodge would have been better off making the 4.7 more efficient than more powerful.

There is and will most always be a place for large, heavy, powerful pick up trucks for heavy towing and hauling. However, most of the Pickups on the road have a driver only, nothing in the bed, and the 4WD models never go off the road.

I believe the day will come that the Ford Ranger or maybe even a Honda CR-V pickup thingy, or Subaru Baja will be sitting in the "Cat Bird" seat.

Instead of the present day thinking of "MY small pickup is bigger than yours and burns more gas", we will be thinking, "My small Pickup is all I need and gets great mileage".

Just some thoughts.

Kip
    My 07 Frontier Crew Nismo optioned out, gets pretty much the same mileage that my Nephew's Mazda B-Series 2 wheel drive 3 Litre motor gets. Quite frankly, I never seriously wanted to own a true "compact" truck. I've always kind'a liked them, but just not quite enough elbow room for me. I patiently waited for the mid-sized trucks to arrive on the scene (the Dakota wasn't on my list) and then purchase one. Finally in 05, they rolled in, thankfully.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    I think Kip has it right. I had a 1977 Datsun KC 5 speed with no a/c, a 2000 Nissan XE KC auto with a/c, and now an'05 Nissan LE KC auto with a/c.

I got about 20 mpg on the two 4 cylinder trucks no matter how I drove them even the a/c on the 2000 did not seem to matter.

The '05 V-6 gets about 18 to 19 around town and 21-24 mpg on the road depending on what speed I drive at. This is using a light foot and looking ahead to avoid having to stop for lights when possible.

If I drove the '05 like I did the other two it would probably get about 14 or 15 mpg. With age you gain wisdom and patience thus the better mpg.

OkieScot
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    I agree the Dakota and Ram are a bit to close in size. I saw two sitting side by side the other day and other than the Dakota's cab being narrower they were pretty close in size. You may be right about the Dakota leaving in three years or so but it won't be right now. I owned one of the first Rangers back in 1982 and thought it was a nice size. A redesign that keeps it about the same size would be a good move in my opinion because there are still a lot of customers out there that don't need the bigger size. The Ranger is still selling because of this despite it's dated design.
    Ranger and the Colorado have the compact market covered. The colorado even has a quad and regular cab option. The world has moved on.

--jjf
  • 462462 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 98 Nissan Frontier. It has the 2.4 liter 4-banger. Perfect little commuter, you can still haul most of what the average homeowner needs. I get about 24 MPG in town!! Keep it tuned and change the oil every 3-4K and they never seem to die. Fits easily in the garage and I don't have to worry about dinging the wife's SUV. Wish I could get another this size when the time comes...a small one with a diesel would be a bonus!!

Your wish may well come true. Saw on the news a day or so ago that gas is $4 a gallon in parts of California.

A lot of folks that thought they "needed" a mid to full size truck, might begin to re-think the NEED vs. WANT ratios.

Towing and hauling can/will dictate the size and power of our truck "NEEDS".

What about "wants"? Even though I don't really have a need; How do I look driving it, how do I feel driving it, am I making a statement, are "WANTS" based a lot on ego? And yes!... In my minds eye, I looked darn good driving around in my full size White Ram Sport.

It is interesting that at my place of part time employment ( a shooting range/gun store) most of the guys drive full/mid size pickups. The guy with the old '80s 4wd Toyota and the guy with the Ranger seem to always have something or other in the bed to take home or take to the dump.. The full size and mid size trucks rarely do, and when they do, it is usually something that would have fit in a Ranger bed. However those owners are complaining about the $75+ fill ups every week or so.

We are seeing more and more small Suvs becoming available. I expect to see a similar trend for Pickups in the near future, along with "interesting" engine choices.

Kip
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Right on Kip! I've read several articles that show a direct coorelation between US vehicle size and America's obesity. Big people want big vehicles.

I love my '06 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab and with the 6-Speed I get 22-1/2 to 23-1/2 MPG on the highway. If Nissan had made it several inches narrower, it'd be even more perfect for a thin family like ours.

It's been my theory too that s long as people can put gas on a charge card, it doesn't 'hurt' their finances as much as if they had to instead peel off three or four $20 bills. The average American houshold has $8500+ of credit card debt, thus hasn't done a real good job of watching costs on anything.
    Isuzu Truck

I wonder why GM or Isuzu do not offer these storage bins on US trucks, at a minimum they should offer them to commercial customers.

asa,

"It's been my theory too that s long as people can put gas on a charge card, it doesn't 'hurt' their finances as much as if they had to instead peel off three or four $20 bills. The average American houshold has $8500+ of credit card debt, thus hasn't done a real good job of watching costs on anything."

I agree. I tend to spend much less when paying with cash. Odd how that works, isn't it? :blush:

The truck mfg are simply catering to our belief that bigger is better and our "Want" of instant gratification. Five and six year financing (and sometimes longer), interest only payments, and the credit card have enabled the small Pickup to grow in size, and therefore in price, to equal the full size ones. It is not hard to spend $30K +/- on a mid or full size truck. Either, with what would have been considered "Well Equipped" 5 years ago, can be purchased for much less than $30k. But with all the latest gadgets and long term financing we "Need" the $30+K one.

I remember paying about $3,300 for a new '73 Chevy Cheyenne P/U, "LOADED" with everything except leather. Even back then I thought I "NEEDED" all the bells and whistles.

We feel we "Need" all the GEE WHIZ bells and whistles. And we can have them at the "same low monthly payment" as a lesser truck. All we have to do is to stretch payments out (with more interest) 12-36 months longer. :sick:

If we had to save the money to pay cash, and unfold those bills during the purchase, we would be a lot more careful when balancing the "Needs" and "Wants" act.

After the initial shock, $4-$5 gas will become a way of life and just another thing to complain about and add to the plastic card. And Visa will dance with Glee! :shades:

Kip
  • wrench1wrench1 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2006 SLT Sport CC Dakota 4.7 and tow a boat and other loads. I also own and tow with a 2006 Nissan Xterra 4.0. The Nissan pulls just as well, and gets avg 19 MPG towing while the Dakota drops to 15 MPG. The Dakota can really haul more on the road but for everyday day driving in town, the Xterra/Frontier 4.0L gets 23 MPG. Great gas mileage for 266 HP. My 2001 Ranger SC4.0L got 19MPG on the highway, 15-16 in town. Only rated 207 hp, had horrible brakes. The Dodge is a rock solid truck for the big hauling jobs and too me a Frontier/Tacoma/Ranger/Ridgeline/Colorado would work in any other everyday situation except rock crawlin, which is a sport all to itself. Then one would have to evaluate thr truck versus needs as someone has already said. Different strokes for different folks! ;)
  • tigger32tigger32 Member Posts: 7
    I have been watching the size increasing on our beloved small trucks and I ain't happy about it. I inherited my father's 1965 Ford F-250 Camper Special about 20 years ago. I sold it off because I didn't use enough (still had my Chevy Van) but when I did sell it, the small trucks were a fair bit smaller than it. Now the Dodge Dakota is just about the same size!
    At the recent L.A. car show, I sat in the Ford and Chevy full size trucks and was amazed. In my Dad's old truck I could reach across to the door handle and window crank on the passenger side. It was a long reach but I could do it. These new trucks had my hand waving around a good foot to a foot-and-a-half away from the door.
    And the climb up into the cabs is getting ridiculous. The old F-250 had a seat height that was perfect; just sling your keester sideways and in you went. Not now. You need oxygen and a small lunch to go up that high.
    Our "compact" trucks are definitly the size of the old trucks, so that is where my money will go when the time comes for the next P/U purchase.

Tigger 32
    I have heard rumors of new Diesel engines being built for Dodge by Cummins. I am hearing that there is a new 4.6 litre V-6 and a 5.6 litre V-8. The small engine is aiming for 30 mpg and if that is true, it will be a huge seller, I bet. Especially if it is offered in the Dakota.
    I have also heard that Chevy/GMC is going to have a 4.5 litre Diesel coming out although I have not heard any specs on it.
    All this is to ponder the question, "Will Nissan, Toyota, Ford, etal. answer the call and give us some good mileage Diesels in our small trucks? Heck, Mercedes has the Sprinter Van with it's 2.7 litre 5 cylinder that is doing great in the delivery van / motorhome business.
    We can only hope.

Tigger 32
    With diesel fuel currently selling at a price higher than premium gasoline in my (U.S.) region, I'm not as enthusiastic about the economy of a diesel truck. In the final analysis, a diesel may indeed be more economical, but I don't think MPG tells the whole story. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Diesel technology is growing at an exciting rate.
    Diesle really begins topay off with heavy loads over long distances Esecially when putting 30000miles/yr hauling 30 or so ton loads. The repair an maintenance cost/mi can be much lower too, Putting diesels into small mid size an bigger pickups has always been with amixed result except for TORQUe..

--JJF

With diesel fuel currently selling at a price higher than premium gasoline in my (U.S.) region, I'm not as enthusiastic about the economy of a diesel truck. In the final analysis, a diesel may indeed be more economical, but I don't think MPG tells the whole story. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Diesel technology is growing at an exciting rate.
    4.5L Duramax

Here is info. on the new Duramax. It will be manufactured in Towanda, NY. Will be available as early as 2008 for 2009 model year and no later than calendar year 2009 in the 2010 model year trucks.

Ford will have a 4.4L V8 diesel in the F150. Bad news is Ford has already reduced it's planned production numbers for the new engine. It will be manufactured in Mexico. Expected to arrive in 2009 calendar year in 2010 model year trucks.

Dodge has 4.2L V6 and 5.6L V8 Cummins engines in the pipeline. They are not scheduled to arrive until 2010 model year.

An International diesel engine in the 2009 Nissan Titan has been rumored for quite some time, nothing more than a possiblity at this point. Nissan is said to have put it's 3/4 ton Titan program on hold.

As to midsize trucks, well, don't hold your breath waiting for diesel. The only one that has even been mentioned is Honda Ridgeline with a diesel V6 in 2010.
    There was buzz in the past of Isuzu bringing it's diesel engines to be installed in Isuzu versions of the Colorado. GM Colorado/Canyon and Isuzu DMax were a joint project of Isuzu and GM and were primarily engineered by Isuzu. No modifications needed to interchange powertrains. Now the only speculation is when Isuzu will fold the consumer sales of vehicles in North America and sell only larger commercial vehicles. Isuzu's contract with GM to supply the i-series trucks and the Ascender SUV is nearly completed.
    I am also having trouble getting excited about diesels in midsize trucks or in cars.

Spent some time over on the Jeep Liberty Diesel forum. They seem to be having real problems with the diesel engines not running well.

One thought that comes to mind is that it is new and there are "Bugs" to work out.
    However, another thought dictates that "Bugs" should be worked out before the consumer takes over. I can understand how some problem might not rear it's ugly head until a few thousand miles are on the clock, but some of these problems seem to be there, right from the "git-go", and Jeep has no solutions as of this time.

Mercedes has been building diesel trucks and cars successfully for a long time. As pointed out by another poster, the Sprinter is a fine example. They have also been building reliable diesel cars for many years. Diamler (SP) owns Chrysler and Mercedes. So why the problems with the Jeep Liberty?

My understanding is that GM owns a big chunk of Isuzu. The flat nosed box trucks by Chevy appear to be built on the same assembly line as the Isuzus.
    Why not put that proven engine into a Colorado? That engine works fine in the box trucks and should do very well in a mid size pickup.

Kip
    My understanding is that GM owns a big chunk of Isuzu.

Not anymore. GM sold it's stake in the past in order to raise cash.

Toyota purchased a significant portion of Isuzu.
    The Nissan Navara (aka the Frontier in North America) is offered with a diesel most everywhere else in the world and it too would be a time-tested, reliable engine if it ever comes to the North America. But, as you wrote about the other manufacturers, there seems to be no plans to make that happen at Nissan.
    "Not anymore. GM sold it's stake in the past in order to raise cash.
    Toyota purchased a significant portion of Isuzu."

Did GM sell all it's Isuzu holdings to "Toyota"? Wonder if GM hung on to anything that would be useful in the future. That diesel comes to mind.

Kip
    Reading about the new GM Duramax engine.
    http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/06/15/gm-announces-new-light-duty-4-5l-v-8-die- sel-for-north-america/

Here is a Direct Quote!

"GM Powertrain's Tonawanda engine plant opened in 1938 and has produced nearly 68 million engines. The plant covers 3.1 million square feet and employs 1,565 hourly and 260 salaried employees, with an annual payroll of $200 million."

Seems that payroll is an "Average" of $109,500 per person yearly. Of course the Executives will make more than the line workers, but that average seems excessive.

"The GM Powertrain Tonawanda plant management and UAW Local 774 leadership successfully negotiated a competitive operating agreement that improves operational effectiveness".

OK, that explains it! :sick:

Kip
    I want to thank all of you for your input. This subject has definitely stirred up some opinions.
    I am well aware of the Toyota and Nissan small trucks with their Diesel engines. These have been a staple of the third world for decades and have been great runners. Reliable and fuel efficient for what ever time frame you look at. Why they have not been shipped over here has been a mystery to me for decades. In a Yahoo group that I'm in there is one guy in Europe that tows his small trailer with a VW "New Beetle" diesel and it does a great job, according to him.
    I am getting closer to retirement and in a few years will be setting myself up to travel with a smallish truck and travel trailer to explore the US. If I were buying it today it would be the Nissan Frontier 4x4 (4.0 gas)and some kind of folding trailer like the Trail Manor. This combo will allow me to camp almost anywhere, places that would scare a motorhome to death. After setting up camp I could then go back country exploring with the truck. Let's see a motorhome do that!
    With a sub 3 litre diesel engine (like the MB 2.7 litre in the Sprinter van) the Nissan would be fantastic!
    Just my thoughts on the subject. Thanks for letting me vent and hopefully light a fire under any of the manufacturers that watch these lists. Nudge. Nudge. Come on folks, give us a cookie!
    Tigger32
    In general diesels in small trucks don't have the payoff of those in larger trucks, especially in this country. Cheap small diesels are good in europe and the far east for mileage and cost. By the time you load them up with emission controls in the US the options and benefits are limited. There is a lot of work here as the rest of the world is choking or starting to choke.

If you pull off the converters, no abs, airbags etc and put in cheaper engines you can have real cheap models for other countries. (you've seen how cheap stripper models can get here)

Good luck
    --jjf

I want to thank all of you for your input. This subject has definitely stirred up some opinions.
    I am well aware of the Toyota and Nissan small trucks with their Diesel engines. These have been a staple of the third world for decades and have been great runners. Reliable and fuel efficient for what ever time frame you look at. Why they have not been shipped over here has been a mystery to me for decades. In a Yahoo group that I'm in there is one guy in Europe that tows his small trailer with a VW "New Beetle" diesel and it does a great job, according to him.
    I am getting closer to retirement and in a few years will be setting myself up to travel with a smallish truck and travel trailer to explore the US. If I were buying it today it would be the Nissan Frontier 4x4 (4.0 gas)and some kind of folding trailer like the Trail Manor. This combo will allow me to camp almost anywhere, places that would scare a motorhome to death. After setting up camp I could then go back country exploring with the truck. Let's see a motorhome do that!
    With a sub 3 litre diesel engine (like the MB 2.7 litre in the Sprinter van) the Nissan would be fantastic!
    Just my thoughts on the subject. Thanks for letting me vent and hopefully light a fire under any of the manufacturers that watch these lists. Nudge. Nudge. Come on folks, give us a cookie!
    Tigger32
    A friend uses his High Top Sprinter as a show/demo room for automotive brake re conditioning equipment. It is heavy! He says he gets in the mid 20s running close to 70. Adding a near 4K# race car/trailer will lower the mileage to just over 20 mpg. That says a lot about the little 2.7 diesel. It should do very well in a mid size Pickup or SUV.

We are considering getting back into trailer camping! Did it for 10 years or so.

I seriously considered a Trail Manor until my next door neighbor bought a (19/27) 2 year old used one. Very flimsy! Folding and unfolding involve a lot of latches, pulling and pushing, moving of furniture, removing the 2 storage cabinets from the walls, collapsing the bathroom walls, and lots of air leaks once up. There is virtually no storage. During the up/down procedure the inside is open to the elements as the top is being maneuvered. Would not want to do it in the rain or a heavy wind. The guy he bought it from, got a hard, fixed side camper.

On the other hand, the "Hi-Lo" seems a lot more sturdy, better sealed and goes up/down with the push of a button or a hand crank. Stays dry inside as the top simply telescopes down over the bottom. Has decent storage and the inside doesn't need dismantling in order to close.

We are also considering the Fiberglass "Eggs". Especially the 16 footer. Light weight, aerodynamic, decent storage and livability. Near perfect for me and the wife. Chatted with folks pulling them with all kinds of vehicles. Seems the Frontiers,Pathfinders, Tacomas and 4Runners are getting in the mid teens towing them.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/index.html

Kip
    2008 Frontier

quote Truckin-
    All in all, the Frontier is easily one of the strongest contenders in the midsize class in my book. Though the Toyota Tacoma certainly has its fans, and is a formidable competitor in most respects, it lacks the eagerness and responsive, sporty edge that the Frontier has. Even with the Dodge Dakota offering an optional V8, and the Chevy Colorado about to, the 4.0L VQ engine provided more than adequate scoot for 95 percent of situations. However, with the introduction of the 5.6L Endurance V8 in the Pathfinder for 2008, it's no longer a matter of "if" the big thumper will fit in the Frontier, but rather "will they do it?"
    -end
    Cheap small diesels are good in europe and the far east for mileage and cost. By the time you load them up with emission controls in the US the options and benefits are limited. There is a lot of work here as the rest of the world is choking or starting to choke.

If you pull off the converters, no abs, airbags etc and put in cheaper engines you can have real cheap models for other countries. (you've seen how cheap stripper models can get here)

Good luck
    --jjf

Euro IV emissions and Euro NCAP safety.

Mazda BT-50, Toyota Hi-Lux, Isuzu DMax, Nissan Navarra all meet Euro IV emissions with their turbo-diesels and meet NCAP safety requirements.

Dual front airbags and ABS brakes are standard for most models with some trim levels having standard side and or curtain airbags.

There may be stripper models somewhere, however, there is one main production base (Thailand) and even models exported to South Africa have same safety equipment and emissions as those models exported to Europe.

EU has lower emissions level requirements for C02 and higher for NOx.

With minor differences, these trucks are as safe and as clean as those being sold in US/Canada.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    I have driven everything except the new Fronty, Taco and Ridgeline and I have to say the I have liked the Colorado the best... Granted I am a GM fan and currently drive an S-10. By the time the S-10 went out IMO it was the best all around truck. I felt it had more power (I have always dislikes Toyota's lack of power on the previous Taco), the Ranger I have never liked - it was too bouncy and the inside was too cramped for me. I had my father-in-laws Mazda B2500 for about a week and it was worthless. Granted it wa only the 2.5 (before the 2.3), but even still I hated the inside. I could never get comfortable. My dad has an 02 Crew Cab Fronty and it too was a little low on the power side. There as well the inside was never to my tastes as far as space. The S-10 had lots of grunt from the V6 and decent mileage as long as I don't hot foot it all over the place. Granted it's quality is not that of the Taco but I have been happy with my S-10. I have driven the Colorado and was impressed with the power that it had and the space inside. Not too impressed with the interior itself, but oh well... maybe the way GM is getting better with that aspect the later ones will get better
This discussion has been closed.