Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,979
    but still, I spent all day around BMW parts.

Did you get the "feel of the cement warehouse floor" handling those parts?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    we made reservations at The Park Schenley.

He said we all had to have their strawberry cheesecake, which the were famous for.

I never had their strawberry cheesecake. My mother made the best cheese cake I ever ate so I rarely bothered eating cheese cake when we went out for dinner…didn’t want to be disappointed. Mrs. j now has that recipe and every so often she makes it. Everyone in the family always looks forward to it.

FWIW, the Park Schenley was more famous for their Devonshire Sandwich (a Burg thing) than their strawberry cheesecake.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Just take all this attention as a compliment. We all know you are probably the brightest guy here, so if you make the slightest bobble it is like seeing Wilt Chamberlain miss a dunk !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    "How Would You Improve the Car-Buying Experience?
    All ideas, from regular consumers to ex-pros, are welcome! "

Well, it would have to involve cheesecake somehow.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options

Hey, now there's an idea. Come in for a test drive our newest model and have a coffee and sample some great cheese cake while you are here.

btw...has anyone else tried Choco-Vine....chocolate raspberry is amazing.
    Wine isn't that important to me, but I am addicted to this stuff, have to find out how I can get it in Canada.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

*houdini, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,334
    Import it? A bottle of CAB, some Hershey's Chocolate syrup, and you're there.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    A bottle of CAB, some Hershey's Chocolate syrup, and you're there.

lol...I am going to make some up right now.

• Options
    Congrats to your daughter on the Impreza, I love my 2012 and my father-in-law is ready to buy a 2014 Forester based on our Subaru experiences. It's snowing in Colorado and I had a ball driving around town this morning.
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I took the wife's Mazda to the store today and also had a blast driving in the snow.

However, there was too much snow for me to make the drive to Denver for the auto show. Perhaps tomorrow.
  • Options
    We wound purchasing our new home lot this morning, and then this afternoon we're signing the contract to start construction. So, looks like the auto show is off for us this year. Driving conditions were really slick up north. I-25 was completely shut down around Loveland with dozens of accidents in a concentrated area. I like to have my fun in the snow, but I make sure to drive as if I'm in a front-wheel drive vehicle when other cars or obstacles are around. When the coast is clear, though, traction control comes off :D
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Congrats on the lot and house purchase! Is this in Ft Collins?

Still snowing pretty good here. Probably 6" so far.
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    We wound purchasing our new home lot this morning, and then this afternoon we're signing the contract to start construction. So, looks like the auto show is off for us this year.

That is wonderful - it's an exciting time. I remember when my wife and I signed the contract to build our second home. First, we bought the lot and then selected the house. It was nice picking out appliances, marble for the bathrooms, upgraded carpeting, upgraded kitchen cabinets in solid oak, oak floors in the family room, colors and styles of brick for the outside and the two fireplaces, intercom system, to name a few. It took us 4 weeks just to pick out colors and upgrades.

You should find this exciting - especially when you "stick-build" a house like we did. We even got the option for a truss roof vs a 2 x 8" rafter roof. We went with the rafters for better stability.

I think it took 7 months to build the house.

Congrats and I hope your experiences are as good as ours!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Ty....great, exciting news about your lot and house. Congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I like to have my fun in the snow, but…

I’ll take your word for it. Since Mrs. j got her Legacy in November 2011 we haven’t had enough snow for me to give it any kind of a snow test. If we ever do I’ll have to fight off Son #1. He’s chomping at the bit more than me. So far, that car is just a plane Jane vanilla grocery getter.

jmonroe

• Options
    We wound purchasing our new home lot this morning

Congratulations and best of luck ty.

How exciting. Now give us the sales story to go along with the purchase.

Was it some sleazy real estate guy? I saw a trailer with a big sign on the side "Homes for Sail".........you didn't buy from them did you?

• Options
    In Canada we have a great investigative program called W5 (Who What Where Why When).

This week they looked at used car lots in Vancouver and found some that were rebuilding cars that should never be on the road, and selling them as used cars. These cars had bad welds that made them unsafe. One young fellow bought a used Mazda and the roof had been crushed, to straighten out the car the B pillars were bowed out and the windshield wasn't really in place....and in todays cars the windshield is part of the construction.

I wouldn't buy a used car unless it was from a very reliable dealer and I think it would have to be a new car dealer. This happened in Vancouver, but it could happen pretty well any where.

Used car horror storries

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Just recently, a dealer in Ontario was fined $12,500 for tacking on extra fees at the lot.

Now we're talkin' Send them just a little further south, like 2,000 miles.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,886
    Congrats to your daughter on the Impreza, I love my 2012 and my father-in-law is ready to buy a 2014 Forester based on our Subaru experiences.

I was impressed with what Subaru did with the new Impreza. For a small car it has an amazing amount of room inside. I drove it after a snow storm just to see how it would do. It is an amazing piece of work - it never even considered getting stuck and it was fun to drive too; something severely lacking in most cars.

My wife is on her second Forester. She likes the styling much better on the new ones compared to her former 2007. I put winter tires on the old one from Nov. to March, but didn't with the new one. They aren't needed.

Even though my Regal is only a little over a year old, I'm seriously considering a Subaru.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    So far, that car is just a plane Jane vanilla grocery getter.

That's the second time you mentioned that.

I've sorta been following your escapades with the Legacy since I am considering a Subaru for my next DD. I am like you in that I always liked a more powerful version of whatever I ended up with, with not much consideration of gas mileage. That's why I asked what was wrong with it after she complained. (I figured she would not give up so easily). :)

I don't think you drive it much, but I was wondering what you don't like about it. Maybe it's a "nothing to like - nothing to not like" type of thing?

It's a shame many makers eliminate the manual transmission when getting to the larger engines.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Just recently, a dealer in Ontario was fined $12,500 for tacking on extra fees at the lot.

Yes, you are correct, a dealer was fined $12,500 for adding extra fees on at the lot.
    Full story: Dealer fined $12500 for extra fees

More than half of the dealers the W5 program looked at added the infamous "Documentation Fees" to used cars, and these fees were $400 to $600. Should be called "Rip-Off Fees"

It seems anything goes in the used car game. Dealers selling cars that could kill people, or that are patched together and shouldn't be on the road.

How did you hear that story?

• Options
    my Regal is only a little over a year old, I'm seriously considering a Subaru.

Yeh, I would be interested in JMonroes thoughts about his wife's Suburu. What would he have preferred she get?

One of the tennis guys I play with just bought a new Crosstrek. I found this video review of the car, and the reviewer says although it is made well, he just doesn't get it.
    Why the Crosstrek is an oddball

I think retired people are the real buyers of Suburus. Seniors like the AWD, the practicality, the reliability, the toughness of Suburus. I don't hear fun mentioned too often.

The fellow who drives the courtesy car for my BMW dealer also drives for the Suburu dealer, and he says the people he sees who own Suburu's, really love them...he finds they are a very dedicated group.

• Options
    How did you hear that story?

We're keeping a close eye on our friends to the north.

Kidding of course, I thought you posted the link. Maybe it was boom.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,166
    No surprise there. The entire industry is organized to obscure real pricing and make impression it is less tahn it really is. Starts with manufacturers advertising price without destination (like you coud ever get a car without it), continues with dealers advertising one price and then adding sometimes two or three fees on top - some seem to thing that's not enough, they advertise trade/cash like it was their money, not customer's (big YOU PAY with price after trade value is deducted). While they're not the only industry trying to make you believe the price is lower than the actual (telecoms are also loose with truth in their advertizing), unfortunately car dealer are in their own league in what can only be called deceptive advertising. I cannot think of any other industry that will go out of its way this far to make you believe the price is lower than finally charged.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Kidding of course, I thought you posted the link. Maybe it was boom.

I think you think right...it was boom, that's where he lives. You should keep a close eye on what happens in the North, and we should keep a close eye on our friends to the South, because we both probably have the same problem in these matters.

Hey, what is happening with the Mustang?

Are you considering a Suburu next time.

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    A large part of our economy is based on deception, smoke and mirrors. Weight loss, male enhancement, otc medication, and infomercials come to mind. Successful marketing of worthless goods and services is part of everyday life. Fraud and greed is in our DNA. Be careful out there.
  • Options
    That darn global warming has sent us 3 winter storms in the past month. We are in the middle of the third one right now. Each one brought about a foot or more of snow. I just got the drive way cleared, but no plow yet for the street, so we are still sort of snowed in.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I cannot think of any other industry that will go out of its way this far to make you believe the price is lower than finally charged

I think the airline industry is almost as bad. Airline companies are adding fees for baggage (hard to go on a flight without taking something), even carry-on, choosing seats, food, and probably more.

I was just reading today how they are going to configure the seating so they can squeeze more people aboard.

I dread getting on a plane these days.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,572
    watching the NCAA tourney now, and they are showing how much snow there is in KC. up to 17" in the area? gonna play havoc with people getting there.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    That darn global warming has sent us 3 winter storms in the past month.

Just be glad there has been global warming, think how bad it could have been if it wasn't for that.

• Options
    that is why a lot of people would rather drive. And especially if they have a nice cruising car like your BMW.

• Options
    I don't hear fun mentioned too often.

I drive my wifes Forester occasionally and I wouldn't describe that as fun. The Impreza is fun to drive. It doesn't compare to my BMW, but it's fun to a certain extent, especially busting through the snow drifts.

• Options
    That's the second time you mentioned that.

Like I’ve said before there is nothing wrong with her car. It runs fine and I’m warming up to it but it is taking more time than I thought.

I don't think you drive it much, but I was wondering what you don't like about it. Maybe it's a "nothing to like - nothing to not like" type of thing?

Actually, I drive it quite a bit. We take the Subie whenever we go anywhere when I get home because I’m trying not to mile up the Genny any more than I have to. Plus, driving the Subie gives me a chance to see how it’s doing. The H6 engine has more power than I thought it would have and it holds the road pretty well too. I just took it on the PA pike yesterday when we went to see DIL #1 in a play and it has no problem at all with that kind of traffic.

Mrs. j thinks I drive too fast. To her, driving 5 MPH over the speed limit is speeding. So, I guess I am a speeder because I can’t remember the last time I was only 5 MPH over the limit of 65 on the PA Pike. Most of the time I’m a little less 10 over but rarely the legal 65 MPH. Because I am this speed demon, even around town, she has taken to holding onto the handle above the passenger door. I’m pretty sure she has resorted to this because the brakes on the passenger side don’t work and she has mashed the carpet flat over there trying to get the car to slow down. Sometimes I think she’ll have to go to a chiropractor because she sits up so fast. :surprise: If you ever see a woman in a Subie or a Genny, holding on for dear life, it could be Mrs. j.

This snow test I’ve been looking forward to may just come by tomorrow morning. We are supposed to get what is coming in from the West, just not as much. The forecast is for 5 to 8 inches by drive time in the morning. Then again, I might not get the chance if I don’t get up early enough because Son #1 said he plans to “find a way” to get over to our place to take his mothers car out for a snow test drive. I have no idea how he plans to pull that off because he doesn’t have an AWD car to get here but I know he’ll give it his best shot. :confuse:

That snow test may clinch how I feel about the Subie but I’ll have to get up before the rooster to do it. I’ll let you guys know how I do if I’m successful. :sick:

jmonroe

• Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Legacys are fun. Subaru makes nice fun cars and around here they are hardly a senior car. A buddy of mine had been buying at Outback every three years.

Mazdas are fun to drive. Again, not BMWs but not Buicks, either.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Hey, what is happening with the Mustang?

It's doing what every 420 HP car with summer tires should be doing.

Holding a place in the garage now that we have 3 or 4 inches of snow.

It's less than 8 months old with 3200 miles, but I have been eyeing

the F-150 Lariat, King Ranch or Platinum. None will fit in the garage.

• Options
    That sounds about right. I am south and west of downtown and we got a little more out here than they did downtown. South and east of me there was even more, 17,18 inches.

Heck of a good game going on right now between Iowa State and Ohio State.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    that is why a lot of people would rather drive.

Since it takes 2 full days of driving to Florida from here by car, I think it is good to go by car if you are staying for at least 2 full weeks. Less than that, I don't think it is worth it.

We are going to Florida for 1 week in June, take the Passat out for a spin and change furnace filters. Maybe get to Epcott. For that trip, we can fly out of Niagara Falls N.Y., land in Tampa, for 2 people return, with a full size car for one week, for $570.

The gas and a few meals on the road could cost that much.

For a 300 or 400 mile trip, I'd probably rather drive than go through the hassle of getting on a plane.

It is true too though, the car you are driving is going to make a difference. I have driven 2000 miles in a 1962 VW beetle once. I wouldn't want to do it at this stage in my life.

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Funny you should mention. I have a GT like yours (well, minus 8 hp as mine is a 2011) and just bought a new King Ranch on Thurs. I'm fortunate in that I have enough room for them to sit side by side. My third garage occupies my baby, a 2000 Trans Am WS6 with just under 40K miles.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    she has resorted to this because the brakes on the passenger side don’t work ....lol

Forgive me, but, you may appreciate this little poem:

I have a little GPS
    I've had it all my life
    It’s better than the normal ones
    My GPS is my wife

It gives me full instructions
    Especially how to drive
    "It's thirty miles an hour", it says
    "You're doing thirty five"

It tells me when to stop and start
    And when to use the brake
    And tells me that it's never ever
    Safe to overtake

It tells me when a light is red
    And when it goes to green
    It seems to know instinctively
    Just when to intervene

It lists the vehicles just in front
    And all those to the rear
    And taking this into account
    It specifies my gear.

I'm sure no other driver
    Has so helpful a device
    For when we leave and lock the car
    It still gives its advice
    It fills me up with counseling
    Each journey's pretty fraught
    So why don't I exchange it
    And get a quieter sort?

Ah well, you see, it cleans the house,
    Makes sure I'm properly fed,
    It washes all my shirts and things
    And - keeps me warm in bed!

Despite all these advantages
    And my tendency to scoff,
    I do wish that once in a while
    I could turn the damned thing off.

• Options
    Holding a place in the garage now that we have 3 or 4 inches of snow.

That reminds me of my friend with the $130K Maserati.

The rear quarter panel hides the side view so he has scraped a bumper...$1500! He has scraped across a tall sewer so never goes over them if they are sticking up, the car is about 2 inches off the ground.

It wouldn't start because it needs to be on a charger if left for a few weeks. He can't drive it in snow or wet conditions, no traction.

So, he got an $18K Fiat and he is loving it. Says he doesn't care where he parks it, goes in snow, easy to park, turns on a dime, lots of room in front.
    He says I don't need a fancy expensive car any more. I think he will surprise me soon with a new purchase, I am betting it will be a bmw 550.

• Options
    Thanks Micahaell. Yes, we're in the FC area and adjusting to life after living in a bigger city. We're definitely missing the auto show, the first time I've done so in a decade including when I had pneumonia :cry: Oh well, the house is worth it.
  • Options
    In 1970, a couple of years after we were married, we drove our 1968 Beetle from Little Rock to Destin, Florida and back. Man. trans, no air, no nothing really. Did we care? Nope, and we had a great time. That little dude ran like a charm.

I also would not want to do that now !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Despite all these advantages
    And my tendency to scoff,
    I do wish that once in a while
    I could turn the damned thing off.

I knew I couldn't be the only one that had that model. :)

jmonroe

• Options
    So far, that car is just a plane Jane vanilla grocery getter.

And that's what you hope the experience will be like in the snow. The Subie AWD and vehicle dynamic system are exceptional, and when they're functioning right, snow will be a non-event. Almost a let down. You'll hear a caliper occasionally pulse to prevent over rotation in a corner, you'll see a dash light flicker indicating traction control adjusting throttle to various wheels losing grip, ABS will pulse all wheels when braking on slick conditions, and that will be it. With traction control off you'll get a chance at 4-wheel drifting, but with it on, the on-board computer will keep you in check.

-Ty
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. My wife was giddy yesterday and that truly brightens my heart. Too often we mire ourselves in the responsibilities of parenthood and life in general, and it was fun to feel like a kid again.

The options list is something like 8 pages long, so we have much to consider. We'll go big in the kitchen as it's the focal point of the home and we want to equip it with upgraded cabinets, quartz counter tops, and nice appliances. Lighting will also be expensive as we'll be going with built-in can lights through almost all rooms, and we'll be adding a large solar system from the get-go. I'll compose a sales experience and post it later tonight.

-Ty
  • Options
    Thank you for the well wishes regarding the new home. As Driver requested, when I get a little additional time tonight I'll post on the sales experience.
  • Options
    if you get carpet, upgrade the padding. And if you want ceiling fans, have them put in the extra wire/switch to run a light separate from the fan if you plan to do that.

I assume that new houses come with a wiring package now? SOmething I would love is having cable and ethernet jacks in every room, so the computers can he wired instead of trying to do them all wirelessly.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    Subaru seems to attract a variety of people, especially with the recent changes to the Legacy and Outback lines. The Impreza/WRX/STI attract the young while the Legacy is more sedate. The new BRZ is a Miata competitor and the new Forester could attract young to mature. For a fun drive, try a Forester XT, a WRX, or an STI with turbo flat fours, and you'll smile. Or try driving a rental Outback WAY too fast on a muddy, winding unimproved road through the mountains (I wouldn't personally know anything about that).

And they haven't been afraid to experiment on occasion to test the market (Baja, SVX, WRX/STI, BRZ, Crosstek). The Baja and SVX were sales failures but have a cult following today. The WRX/STI was a success, and we'll just see where the BRZ and Crosstek go.

Part of my attraction to Subaru is that the company is smaller and walks a different path than mainstream. I think you nailed Subaru's attributes nicely, Driver. Historically their interiors have been several steps below even average, but the latest models coming out have shown a new Subie, one that recognizes the value of a quality interior. The radios are still abysmal.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Only upgrade the carpet pad if it is reasonable. You can check carpet retailers to see what an upgrade really costs. My builder charged $3500 12 years ago for 1700 square feet to get a better pad. . People bit but I didn't because the standard pad was just fine [I checked}and my carpet is in good shape. That money saved will pay for about 1/3 the cost of totally new carpet. Be very careful with builders, they rarely price upgrades fairly. Upgrading the pad is fine if it reflects the true cost and not some inflated builder rip-off.
  • Options
    Subaru is that the company is smaller and walks a different path than mainstream.

Nothing wrong with that....kind of reminds me of Saab, quirkie but in a good way. And, when I say Suburu is a favorite with retired people I don't mean in a bad way.

I think many retired people are careful because they are on a fixed income, so they want something practical, but will give them enjoyment. If I was on a stricter budget Suburu would be near the top of my list of possibles.

This discussion has been closed.